• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Showing how weak I am, after saying I'm gonna wait for a fix, I'm tempted to try it now. Mainly because I plan on buying D&D from PSN on thursday so if I don't update it now and if the fix isn't out on thursday, I'd update anyway :S

Will post results.

...these updates always scare me... but Ive never seen the PS Support page spring up replies that fast with people complaining.
Im going.. to wait this out.. I have a 650GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD in a PS3 Slim.

Wait, should I deactivate auto update until we get more news?

Yes.

Downloaded the update on my apartment PS3 before I read the news about it. Everything seems fine for now.

Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* Factory 80GB

PS3 type:
* Fat with backwards compatibility (MGS4 Bundle model)

PS3 Region:
* US

I can access the system update just fine. I scroll though the user agreement, accept and then begin the actual install. The installation hits 47/48% the system reboots to a black screen. At least I still have access to safe mode. So, if Sony does release a fix, there is hope.

I wouldn't chance it, even if my model is listed as safe in this thread. Nexflix isn't going anywhere. Wait.

ill just watch it on another device I suppose I went through three ps3 sure as hell dont want to go through that again

Somnia

I have the 500gb superslim, the update downloaded fine and I can turn my system on and off. I did get a lock up when playing The Last of Us and thought that might have been what others are saying, but I could turn it off and back on.

Should plus users disable auto update then?
I did, i had to reformat my original 80gb hdd once this gen and it wasnt very fun. Was my fault i thought if i removed it and stuck it in a shell with a usb i could connect it to the ps3 to back it up to the new one. Had saves backed up for most games but yea, not good. Still annoyed i still dont know why it couldnt work that way.

Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* 160GB

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* Brazil

and i just turned off the trophy alert! 100% free from the trophy hunt curse

FeiRR

Banned
Fuck I have a slim ps3 with a 1TB HDD and PSN+ set to auto update. That firmware likely already downloaded :'(

Mine too but don't worry. You have to update manually. Just ignore it, it's not mandatory. I logged in to PSN just fine.

bebop242

So in terror, I checked my PS3 to see whats up and I was not prompted to any system update. It signed on like usual, so I was thinking my son did the update. However when I looked under the system settings it still says I'm running 4.41. I even did a manual search for the update and it told me I was running the current version. ?

zeopower6

So in terror, I checked my PS3 to see whats up and I was not prompted to any system update. It signed on like usual, so I was thinking my son did the update. However when I looked under the system settings it still says I'm running 4.41. I even did a manual search for the update and it told me I was running the current version. ?

It was mentioned somewhere that Sony pulled the update after the reports of hard drives getting borked rolled in.

Ashes

Banned

It's probably not out in your region yet.

Results:

Problem with FW 4.45?
* No

HDD
* Factory (160GB)

PS3 Type
* Slim 1

PS3 Region
* US

I was a little worried at one point, it was stuck at 99% downloading for 2 minutes, but that aside it went by okay

Ashes

Banned
It was mentioned somewhere that Sony pulled the update after the reports of hard drives getting borked rolled in.

Technical staff being present should be mandatory. For 'just in case' situations like this, where firmware updates supposedly 'safe' aren't in the real world.
It should be pulled first, immediately. And ask questions later.
Not sure, if it is technically possible though.

So everyone posting says no problem. What even prompted the scare?

I've not sure what you mean. There are examples in the last couple of pages of this very thread. Actually there is even one quoted on this page.

AleeN634

Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* 500 GB custom

PS3 type:
* Original fat backwards compatible

PS3 Region:
* US

No problems on my end.

Results:

Problem with FW 4.45?
* No

HDD
* Custom (320GB)

PS3 Type
* Fat 60 Launch

PS3 Region
* US

No problems, installed before playing TLOU tonight, didn't even see the thread until after.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* Original

PS3 type:
* Slim

PS3 Region:
* US

Ashes

Banned
Bricked. Son of a bitch.

Problem with FW 4.45?:
* Yes.

HDD:
* 750 GB Custom

PS3 type:
* Slim

PS3 Region:
* US

groan. Sorry mate. double groan as it looks like its not only 1tb hard drives. Even if the trend is for really big hard drives.

Someone advised earlier to not format the hard-drive, as sony could, though unlikely in my view, provide a fix.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* Original (80 GB)

PS3 type:
* Fat (Motorstorm bundle)

PS3 Region:
* US

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No