• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

CinosAges

Couldn't you try to just wipe the drive, write a new MBR (with something like Parted Magic) and reinstall the disk? I would be highly surprised if there's anything physically wrong with the hard drive. Most likely just a corrupted file system.

This seems like a problem that is potentially easily fixed if wiping all files is an option.

Well, I really wanted to get my stuff back and not have to re-download and install everything again, but I think you are right that nothing is physically wrong with the drive.

CinosAges

Update:

http://community.us.playstation.com...PS3-v-4-45-SCEA-Update/m-p/40721809#U40721809
Hello all,

Wanted to follow up and let you know that we are still activaly examining the issue in which certain users experienced problems booting their PS3 after the firmware update.

Thank you for your patience, but I don't have any more news to share at this time. Please continue to watch this thread for updates, and subscribe to it to recieve emails for further updates.
- morgan haro / mochuuu, SCEA PSN Community Management Team, @morganharo

So, nothing new to share at all.

Couldn't you try to just wipe the drive, write a new MBR (with something like Parted Magic) and reinstall the disk? I would be highly surprised if there's anything physically wrong with the hard drive. Most likely just a corrupted file system.

This seems like a problem that is potentially easily fixed if wiping all files is an option.
Wiping all of your downloaded games, themes, save games, game installs, movies, pictures, and music is probably not a very popular option :)

Hopefully Sony can put out something that will fix the HDD issues without loss of data. In the interim people can always reinstall the HDD that came in their PS3 and redo the firmware installation on that. That will give them a working PS3 in the interim without erasing their current HDD contents.

anddo0

Wiping all of your downloaded games, themes, save games, game installs, movies, pictures, and music is probably not a very popular option :)

Hopefully Sony can put out something that will fix the HDD issues without loss of data. In the interim people can always reinstall the HDD that came in their PS3 and redo the firmware installation on that. That will give them a working PS3 in the interim without erasing their current HDD contents.

I have this option. In fact the 160GB that came with my Slim is still in it's original cradle (bad screws). So, it's just the matter of swapping drives.. But what's the point? The two games I was playing Grid 2 and TLOU. I refuse to restart. I have a feeling we'll be going the weekend without an update.

I have this option. In fact the 160GB that came with my Slim is still in it's original cradle (bad screws). So, it's just the matter of swapping drives.. But what's the point? The two games I was playing Grid 2 and TLOU. I refuse to restart. I have a feeling we'll be going the weekend without an update.

Obviously you don't have access to any data that was on your other HDD, but on the upside your PS3 actually works. You can watch movies, play new games, download and play demos, use the web browser, etc.

I can't see a solution arriving quickly either. They have to figure out what the problem actually is, and then figure out how to solve it without corrupting their customers' data. The latter might not even be possible in the end.

This is something I hope never happens in the coming generation. Firmware updates need to be tested thoroughly and be more fault tolerant. Hell, stick a backup EEPROM (or whatever they use) in there as a fallback like some motherboard manufacturers do.

cormack12

Gold Member
Wow, they've been really slow even in providing rollback options. I wonder if it affects only certain drive types (like 7200 rpm, 8/16/32 cache etc.)

Redhood

I updated it in the morning the day update came. Had no problems with it!

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory (500 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* UK

netBuff

Jesus fucking christ, how hard is it to re-release 4.41 as 4.46 to fix everyone's machines and then release a fixed 4.45 later when they've actually tested it?

Another day of playing Unit 13, I guess.

Because that wouldn't help anyone. The update most likely corrupted either the file system or key files on the hard drive - fixing that without wiping the drive/destroying files isn't all that easy. Expect a fix to take a while longer.

This is something I hope never happens in the coming generation. Firmware updates need to be tested thoroughly and be more fault tolerant. Hell, stick a backup EEPROM (or whatever they use) in there as a fallback like some motherboard manufacturers do.

Unfortunately, these things happen: Back in February, Microsoft released a Windows 7 update that caused many PCs to stop booting. Most likely, the hardware is physically fine and just the file system is corrupted.

commedieu

Banned
consoles need system restore.

anddo0

Update:

Person from some users that were conducted to update to system software version 4.45 of "PlayStation 3", we have received reports XMB (cross media bar) will not appear after the update, but new to solve this phenomenon will be published on Thursday, June 27, the system software updates such.
For now put everyone in a user, We apologize for the inconvenience, I would like to ask for your understanding.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/nr_20130621_ps3_update_v445.html?ref=rss

The 27th? are you kidding me Sony? :/

PS EU confirmed too - June 27th :(

0YPrUBg.png

y7LZK7L.png

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/348091810536632320
https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/348091817708879872

Normally I wouldn't be as presumptive but are we getting compensation for this shit? Nine days of my PS3 being a useless piece of junk.

cormack12

Gold Member
Seems strange that they are waiting so long to release the fix, unless it hasn't been coded yet. Would be interesting just to know what the issue was.

anddo0

did you try installing the previous firmware in the recovery system?

4.41?
I wouldn't risk it.

At first my PS3 booted to wavy screen. I then installed 4.45 via system recovery. The PS3 didn't display anything (black screen) after that. So I'm done messing with this until the fix.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
they identified the problem, and it still will take 6 more days??

Ya'll should be happy they're taking that long to make sure they don't fuck up again instead of wiping your harddrive and not having the ability to "patch" the broken firmware yourself in six days.

Not a corporate apologist, but I'm just saying: They fucked up, they probably are using those days to make sure they don't fuck you up even more.

CinosAges

But it does have a restore option, and if they released 4.41 as 4.46 as they said, people would get out of the brick I believe.

Unfortunately, myself and some others here have run into the problem of the system freezing in the recovery mode as soon as the System Update option is selected.

Here is what I am hoping for:
-Install new firmware using a new HDD
-Put in old, currently non-functional HDD
-Everything works as it used to before this update

This would be wonderful, but I seriously doubt it will work.

I really hope the freezing in the recovery menu is a problem with the firmware and not the old HDD.

netBuff

Unfortunately, myself and some others here have run into the problem of the system freezing in the recovery mode as soon as the System Update option is selected.

Here is what I am hoping for:
-Install new firmware using a new HDD
-Put in old, currently non-functional HDD
-Everything works as it used to before this update

This would be wonderful, but I seriously doubt it will work.

I really hope the freezing in the recovery menu is a problem with the firmware and not the old HDD.

The firmware is saved on the hard drive with the vast majority of PS3 consoles out there. That's why completely formatting the drive and writing a new MBR would most likely resolve this issue - unfortunately while also completely removing any pre-existing data.

they identified the problem, and it still will take 6 more days??

That's a reasonable time frame - the issue shouldn't have existed in the first place, but these things happen.

You willing to wait that long?

Side note, Sony really is shit at software and services.

No, it's the reality of software development: Things easily break. That's why Microsoft unintentionally bricked Windows 7 installations back in February. Let's hope Sony tests their updates better in the future.

U.S. update:
Hi all,

Here is the latest on this issue:

We have identified the issue related to the PlayStation 3 software update (version 4.45) that impacted a small number of PS3 systems earlier this week. A new PS3 system software update is planned to be released on June 27 that resolves the issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we apologize for the inconvenience.

If there is any further updates between now and 6/27, we will drop them here.

We will also update on 6/27 when it is available, and steps on how to implement the solution.

Thank you
- morgan haro / mochuuu, SCEA PSN Community Management Team, @morganharo

Happened to me. A 2010 slim 250gb. I was watching Netflix and it buzzed then went off. I turn it on and it's just a black screen. Can't get to recovery mode WTF!!

anddo0

Running it now. Crossing my fingers. Sony better not have screwed up again. Even if it's fixed. I wouldn't put it past them to break something else.

Yeah, just got the prompt when I turned on my PS3. So who wants to go first? >_>

I already did it. I didn't have problems last time.

One small scare: the screen blacked out when the installation progress bar was at 42%, but I guess installation was finished by then. It rebooted back to XMB with no problems.

danthefan

This problem with the firmware, how exactly did it manifest itself? My PS3 has started freezing as soon as the XMB background appears. Just happened this evening. Can't check what firmware I'm on unfortunately.

This is really shit :(

Top Bottom