• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Mine booted directly after the update and I play TLoU last night? Any chance I'll be okay?

ifGaYyO.gif

You should be fine

Alcahest

There is ALWAYS a conspiracy.
Microsoft could have been sniffing packets and injecting random ones and zeros.
See? Conspiracy.

lol, you do know that the ps3 checks the fw's MD5 after it's done downloading and PRIOR to starting the install, right?

gtmax

I ran home to download Uncharted 3 and LBP Karting. I can't log into PSN store. Would've been nice to leave it on and then i get home tonight and the games are there. Oh well.

Xbudz

lol, you do know that the ps3 checks the fw's MD5 after it's done downloading and PRIOR to starting the install, right?

OK fine, then this is all Sony's dumb fault.
I'd rather believe it was an outside source.. seems silly for Sony to drop the ball now.

Eusis

Amen. And what? Blaming people who want the option for causing this update that's screwing up some systems? LOL. Yeah, a poorly engineered update is our fault.
Hell, I'd take it a step further and say it was probably a poorly engineered (or more likely crudely patched in, miracle-that-it-works) feature period. If they held off and introduced with Vita/PS4 I imagine it'd work far smoother, or even if the PS3 was simply designed with more hooks and space available for these kind of feature updates. It was odd in the first place how trophies were an exception from disabling notifications, and now when they finally implement that feature issues hit the system. Nevermind that it took something like 4 or 5 years.
Why the update? The trophy notification and sound is so cool... don´t know what the big deal is.
Because some (many?) of us either don't want it in all games and some (definitely some) don't even want it in their games at all. It's a very gamey, standardized feature that we may feel either ruins or at least undermines the experience and we may just be sick of the mentality surrounding them. I'd rather each game did its own if it felt it was important to a game similar to games like Smash Bros, Kid Icarus, and Xenoblade so I can be rewarded and the notifications a natural part of the experience.

jimi_dini

I wonder how are the people with bricked PS3s going to be able to fix their shit. I guess the answer is they won't.

It seems recovery mode still works. Which would mean that those PS3s are not actually bricked.

Hold power button till 3rd beep. Then power down.

Hold power button again till 2nd beep. Release power button. Welcome to recovery mode. You will need to connect controller via USB cable.

I guess Sony will release an update for those users. They will have to download manually to USB stick and then apply that via PS3 recovery mode.

BIGWORM

PSN is back for me.
Just signed in.

Same.

Luckily, my kid didn't update last night while he was playing LBP2. I put a 500GB in mine, so I was definitely looking at a brick if he had updated it. I had my wife pull my kid from the game, disable the internet connection, and turn off the PS3 until the updated FW was pulled earlier this morning (?).

I have a PS3 2nd edition slim with the stock 500GB in them. PS+ automatically updated to 4.45 though and I have been playing TLOU today, so I hope I wasn't affected. Thanks to Sony for that new feature though, very welcomed.

Xbudz

Man, Microsoft jumped on the opportunity to announce all the DRM reversal stuff just as Sony is having these troubles. Kinda funny.

I hope Sony can figure out what's going on soon.

Hex

Banned
Trying to decide whether to turn on my PS3.
I have plus, have not had it on since Sunday night, and figure that there is a good chance that it may have auto updated.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Trying to decide whether to turn on my PS3.
I have plus, have not had it on since Sunday night, and figure that there is a good chance that it may have auto updated.

Firmware auto downloads..it doesn't auto update.

LegendX48

I have a slim 2 (super slim, w/e) with the factory 250gb HDD and so far everything is just fine though I noticed something odd with The Last Of Us. While checking out the bonuses and rewatching some cutscenes I noticed one was missing pre-update. After I updated to 4.45 the missing cutscene has now appeared but it's muted, am I the only one with this odd little issue?

HardRojo

So, has Sony released an official statement on the matter yet? I'm pretty sure a considerable number of PS3s got bricked during this update.

teiresias

I updated before I saw this thread, but luckily I haven't had any issues. Mine is 250GB Slim (I think) that I got direct from Sony as replacement for a YLOD'd launch 20GB Fat.

So, has Sony released an official statement on the matter yet? I'm pretty sure a considerable number of PS3s got bricked during this update.

It sounds like recovery mode still works so I don't think any got bricked, but it's possible that HDDs might have to be erased to fix the problem. Hopefully they can figure out a solution that doesn't involve that though.

CinosAges

It sounds like recovery mode still works so I don't think any got bricked, but it's possible that HDDs might have to be erased to fix the problem. Hopefully they can figure out a solution that doesn't involve that though.

I tried poking around with a few HDD repair tools on my PC and it can't detect anything on the drive. I don't think my HDD is salvageable at all. At this point I've already given up and just installed a new HDD.

I wonder how are the people with bricked PS3s going to be able to fix their shit. I guess the answer is they won't. This is why I always take a few days to update my PS3, this shit has happened before. :p

In fairness, the fact they can get to their boot screen is promising.

If anyone cant boot up their system, you probably are SOL.

I tried poking around with a few HDD repair tools on my PC and it can't detect anything on the drive. I don't think my HDD is salvageable at all. At this point I've already given up and just installed a new HDD.

The PS3 uses a proprietary file system for the internal HDD, so repair tools on a PC are more likely to do harm than good I would say.

netBuff

Couldn't you try to just wipe the drive, write a new MBR (with something like Parted Magic) and reinstall the disk? I would be highly surprised if there's anything physically wrong with the hard drive. Most likely just a corrupted file system.

This seems like a problem that is potentially easily fixed if wiping all files is an option.

Top Bottom