• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, now I'm terrified. If I installed it and played Bioshock Infinite for an hour without problem after that, am I safe? Or can it still brick afterward?

I disassembled my PS3 a couple of months ago for a good undusting (it was already out of warranty), so it's probably gonna be impossible to return it for repair if it bricks. Fuck. :(

Grinchy

Banned
It's really not something to worry about for The Last of Us, the only ones that will pop in the middle of the game are the ones for collectables and MP, none will go off during story segments etc.

I was like 8 hours into the game when I realized I hadn't seen a single trophy pop up. I thought maybe this was the first game that deactivated the notification. But then I realized it was just because they didn't do the typical, "You played a section of the game. Congratulations!" trophies.

Vormund

Have there been any reports of someone WITHOUT an upgraded hard drive being affected?

So far I have only seen SOME reports of 750gb drives being affected and I think every 1tb has reported a problem.

Fuck! I was going to put a 1tb drive in my PS3 tomorrow. :(

hackdog

Banned
Not a good day for Sony. Bricked updates, TLoU crashing phats, free Jak and Daxter...

Forgot to mention sub 30fps PS4 games.

tranciful

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
no

HDD (choose one):
Factory 120GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

BasilZero

I loved it in Shadow of the Colossus.

After having defeated a colossus, standing over it, having the melancholy music playing, and then..

*bling* Trophy! YAY!

Games are truly art

Ironically that is just what I did last night after I updated lol - killed the third colossi n__n

Edit: Question though - the fact that it still works on our PS3s, is there still a chance it could brick or do we have just a useless update?

Jay Sosa

It's a nice option for fighting game tournaments, as people don't like the pop ups in the middle of a match.

Silly GAF poster... sigh..

It's amazing that people don't understand that some of us at least want a freaking option. That shouldn't even be something worth discussing. The ones who love something popping up on their screen can leave it on, and those who don't can turn it off, everybodys happy, end of story.

On the ps forum I saw people saying it just crashes when you try to rebuilt it, so the best option is to wait for a new firmware update and try to install it from the recovery.

More to the point, I did try rebuilding the filesystem twice, and now it's stuck there. Every time I try to install firmware from the recovery menu, my PS3 freezes. Which probably means I'll have to reformat the drive and hope my backup is intact. Otherwise, goodbye six years of game saves.

Marleyman

Banned
More to the point, I did try rebuilding the filesystem twice, and now it's stuck there. Every time I try to install firmware from the recovery menu, my PS3 freezes. Which probably means I'll have to reformat the drive and hope my backup is intact. Otherwise, goodbye six years of game saves.

Wow..that is fucked up.

Magnus

It's amazing that people don't understand that some of us at least want a freaking option. That shouldn't even be something worth discussing. The ones who love something popping up on their screen can leave it on, and those who don't can turn it off, everybodys happy, end of story.

Amen. And what? Blaming people who want the option for causing this update that's screwing up some systems? LOL. Yeah, a poorly engineered update is our fault.

statham

Question, do I have to update to play TLOU? and only the phats are dieing from TLOU right, slims should be okay?

Roland1979

Shit, now I'm terrified. If I installed it and played Bioshock Infinite for an hour without problem after that, am I safe? Or can it still brick afterward?

I disassembled my PS3 a couple of months ago for a good undusting (it was already out of warranty), so it's probably gonna be impossible to return it for repair if it bricks. Fuck. :(

You should rollback because the risk isn't worth it. Do you value the benefits of this update so much you'll risk your PS3? If you're going to wait will not another, stable and safe update be released? In cases like this you should ALWAYS roll back.
Unconfirmed rumors now say (but MANY!) that slim, fat, stock HDD, even small, all can be effected. Just don't take the risk and wait it out.

My 320 GB slim was fine after the update. But in the event I decide I want to roll it back to 4.41, how do I go about doing that? I haven't played around with the system settings much.

BasilZero

You should rollback because the risk isn't worth it. Do you value the benefits of this update so much you'll risk your PS3? If you're going to wait will not another, stable and safe update be released? In cases like this you should ALWAYS roll back.
Unconfirmed rumors now say (but MANY!) that slim, fat, stock HDD, even small, all can be effected. Just don't take the risk and wait it out.

Waa? You can rollback?

But wont rolling back cause more issues and put you at a potential risk if you already updated?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Waa? You can rollback?

But wont rolling back cause more issues and put you at a potential risk if you already updated?

Is it even possible to go back to a previous firmware? Reading that the bricking usually happen right after the update, I feel safer since I managed to play a game after the update, but I'm still afraid that my out-of-warranty PS3 is now a time bomb...

anddo0

Waa? You can rollback?

First I'm hearing of this. Whenever you do a system update from safe mode it recommends the current version or higher. I doubt you can rollback.

Reading that the bricking usually happen right after the update, I feel safer since I managed to play a game after the update, but I'm still afraid that my out-of-warranty PS3 is now a time bomb...

After the update, I watched some anime on crunchyroll, then played TLoU for a while. I even turned the system on again after reading about the 4.45 snafu just to check. Everything is fine so far, I just want Sony to hurry it up with that new shit so this can be over.

androvsky

Waa? You can rollback?

Is it even possible to go back to a previous firmware? Reading that the bricking usually happen right after the update, I feel safer since I managed to play a game after the update, but I'm still afraid that my out-of-warranty PS3 is now a time bomb...

First I'm hearing of this. Whenever you do a system update from safe mode it recommends the current version or higher. I doubt you can rollback.
Pretty sure you can't roll back to a previous firmware unless you're on a debug or hacked system. It's impossible to roll back if you're on normal firmware without soldering a special flasher to your PS3's motherboard.

Am I screwed if I have a fat 60gb model that is set for auto updates? I haven't turned it on since last Saturday.
Afaik, PS+ only downloads firmware updates automatically, it never installs them. This is part of the reason why, they also need you to accept new terms of service.

Roland1979

Terribly sorry I assumed you could IF you would hook it up to a PC.
But this shows that you should be able to if needed!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Hell with that, I want them popping up ALL THE TIME, SHOW ME MY TROPHIES YOU FUCKS, YEAAAAAH.

anddo0

9am PST. Sony, you're officially on the clock. If they allow this to lapse into the weekend. I'll go off the deep end.

Xbudz

9am PST. Sony, you're officially on the clock. If they allow this to lapse into the weekend. I'll go off the deep end.

I hope they know what the problem was. They need to take a little extra time with this next firmware update just to be safe. Free games coming?
For anyone with lost saves / bricked PS3, I would say they deserve more than free games.

I've worked on software dev and testing on both hardware devices and servers and from my experience I would guess its going to take Sony a few days just to test the new firmware, let alone fix it. Some people are in for a few long days and nights at Sony.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not saying this patch isn't problematic, but I swear I remember every firmware thread on gaf having someone complain about the patch bricking their ps3.

this is actually the main reason why i subscribed to ps+ (outside of the free games). having my demons/dark souls saves in the cloud helps me sleep at night :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So much misinformation in this thread. Seems like most people have never updated their firmware. There are some facts:
- this was an optional update. nobody will force you to install it, even if your PS+ downloaded it. JUST IGNORE IT and keep playing
- again, as it was optional, you can go online without installing it.
- if you've already installed and nothing happened, you're fine. downgrading isn't possible.

Now we need to wait for Sony to clear the shit up. Everybody should remember that every firmware update is a risk. I've lost some expensive hardware to failed updates. Nothing special with Sony provided how many consoles there are out there.

The update was not optional. It was mandatory.

partime

I heard if you told your PS3 you've already pre-ordered the PS4, it would forgive you and continue working.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I heard if you told your PS3 you've already pre-ordered the PS4, it would forgive you and continue working.

I had printed out my preorder and taped it on my PS3. Probably why it spared me.

Top Bottom