• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Xbudz

I'm glad I didn't have LOU today otherwise I would have updated.

Has the 360 ever had a system bricking patch before?

I've only heard about it before with the PS3.

I think there were some cases of 360 firmware causing red rings, but nothing wide spread like this.

The biggest brick on 360 was its power source.
1Cw1TNL.jpg

Oh man I'm glad I decided to USB install the update. It was taking a long ass time to download so I said screw it, canceled it and decided to USB install it. I probably saved my PS3 Slim because mines is an upgraded 500GB.

Fucking kidding me...

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* Yes

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (1 TB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

All I get is the wavy lines from the startup.

I think there were some cases of 360 firmware causing red rings, but nothing wide spread like this.

1Cw1TNL.jpg

Haha, well then. I completely forgot about the 360's power brick. :p

I'm expecting they'll have a fixed version of the update sometime tomorrow.

Let's hope that Sony learns from this for the PS4. Otherwise people are going to be very angry when their brand new piece of tech is bricked by a minor update.

baphomet

1Cw1TNL.jpg

Again, the bricked 360's thanks to firmware were at the least in the 10's of thousands. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the 360 firmware issues.

wizzbang

Banned
I can't help but wonder if Microsoft was messing with Sony's update server.
Console war just got real?

Z7BsaQX.jpg

This seriously sucks for anyone affected.

How do people actually make comments like this, like.. how? How did you just type that out and hit "Submit Reply"
Tell me you're joking and I'm missing the comedy ;) or the 'ironic' !!!!'s or something?

Harlock

* All firmware update, for any videogame, you need check online for problems before doing. But sony is really bad with firmware updates for ps3.

Because it's so difficult to go back a page or two and figure out why everyone's talking about it. Nope, gotta make a sweeping generalisation that there's no issue because a single page of people said they didn't have any problems.

Calm the fuck down. He really didn't post anything bad enough for you to insult him. Christ.

Drago

If I have a 160GB Slim (not the super slim) and I never upgraded the HDD, nor have I ever used an external one, would I still be in danger?

baphomet

Man you got some bullshit numbers that is all. Tens of thousands 360's dead by updates? Come one man...

Judging by an Engadget poll http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/nxe-hitting-360s-with-red-ring-freezing-and-sorta-sexy-avatar-i/that's over 2k for a site that isn't gaming focused. Not to mention pages upon pages of google results of forums threads about consoles being bricked (including gaf). 10's of thousands is hardly out of the question. We have , what, 4-6 people are having issues with the update in this thread?

Xbudz

Judging by an Engadget poll http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/nxe-hitting-360s-with-red-ring-freezing-and-sorta-sexy-avatar-i/that's over 2k for a site that isn't gaming focused. Not to mention pages upon pages of google results of forums threads about consoles being bricked (including gaf). 10's of thousands is hardly out of the question. We have , what, 4-6 people are having issues with the update in this thread?

And 70+ pages on the PlayStation community site.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Problem-after-update-to-4-45/td-p/40712247/page/70 I'll let you do the counting.

c0de

a poll? oh yes, that's a perfect argument and can't be doubted in any way.

Yikes, this is a pretty big fuck up Sony.

when i booted my ps3 i noticed it had the new firmware downloaded from the psplus autoupdate but then i read this thread intime, still on 4.41!

i probably might not have been affected anyways though, had a normal slim with 320gb

Xbudz

How do people actually make comments like this, like.. how? How did you just type that out and hit "Submit Reply"
Tell me you're joking and I'm missing the comedy ;) or the 'ironic' !!!!'s or something?

I'm sorry for the insensitive image. But I would almost rather this be an attack on Sony's servers as opposed to them making a mistake like this after about 7 years on the market with PS3.

x3sphere

How do they mess up something like this so late in the gen? Hopefully this isn't a hard brick and recovery is possible without sending your unit in.

cormack12

Gold Member
Gutted, I've wanted the ability to hide trophy notifications for ages. When they release a patch it borks systems :/

Oh well, back to the waiting game.

Jay Sosa

OH MY GOD. Fucking finally. Hopefully that means that those notifications can be turned off on the PS4 right from the start.

I found an unannounced new feature in 4.45:

When you are downloading something from the store or download list and you choose to download it in the background, a status bar now appears telling you how long it will take to prepare for background downloading. That would have been handy for Uncharted 3 Single Player given out last week.

OH MY GOD. Fucking finally. Hopefully that means that those notifications can be turned off on the PS4 right from the start.

You could already turn them off notifications on PS3, now you can just turn off trophy ones separately.

I found an unannounced new feature in 4.45:

When you are downloading something from the store or download list and you choose to download it in the background, a status bar now appears telling you how long it will take to prepare for background downloading. That would have been handy for Uncharted 3 Single Player given out last week.

That's pretty handy actually.

Are. You. Fucking. Kidding me?

I've owned a PS3 since LAUNCH in 2006. And I literally, for the first time looked up how to turn off Trophy notifications so it wouldn't interfere with The Last of Us and was surprised there wasn't an option.

Now there is. Insane coincidence? Or did LOU cause this?

Top Bottom