• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Steroyd

People mentioned it'll only download the firmware but you still need to install it yourself so you know what to do ;)

That's reassuring I've only got a 500GB external HDD to backup my stuff, which means I haven't got anything to back up my stuff. :|

Of course Microsoft is better at this shit than Sony. They'd better well fucking be for the type of company they are lol
Also does this mean that the temptation to turn off trophy notifications is a life/death situation? Makes the whole update that much more interesting.

So um not really the place to ask and all...
but if I leave my PS3 on for 8 hours downloading a game is there a high chance that it will overheat? It's in a pretty open space.

CinosAges

So the system is fine and just the HDD borked? Interesting how the minute you put the original 60GB HDD the update went without a hitch.

Actually, I put in an old 250gb WD drive I upgraded from a while back after I couldn't get past the particle screen. It says I am on firmware 4.45, I can connect online, and everything runs fine.

Replicant

but if I leave my PS3 on for 8 hours downloading a game is there a high chance that it will overheat? It's in a pretty open space.

Never have that problem so far *fingers crossed*. I had to do that the last time around to download Spec Ops while I was at the office so it's ready to play when I went back home.

Next gen we get automatic updates right? lol
What a joy that will be

All the more reason not to go always-online.

coldfoot

Banned
Common thread to all bricked systems is >500GB HDD.
Since Sony only sells PS3's up to 500GB, they must have forgotten to test it with bigger HDD's.
I would have been fucked if I tried to update, thank you Miami Heat.

HardRojo

After getting so much praise for the PS4 and everything, the backlash from this throughout the week is going to hurt them, Sony needs to respond tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Replicant

Actually, I put in an old 250gb WD drive I upgraded from a while back after I couldn't get past the particle screen. It says I am on firmware 4.45, I can connect online, and everything runs fine.

So it sounds like the FW has been installed on the console but it can't communicate with 1TB HDD. But it has no problem with your 250GB HDD.

Why should we settle for a more logical explanation when we can put on our sparkly tinfoil hats? :)

CinosAges

I've had to leave the system on for days when restoring from a backup drive. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's in a really tight space or it's already very hot in the room.

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory (60GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat with backward compatible

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

Of course Microsoft is better at this shit than Sony. They'd better well fucking be for the type of company they are lol
Also does this mean that the temptation to turn off trophy notifications is a life/death situation? Makes the whole update that much more interesting.

Nah, it sounds like the issue is related to the HDD size, so they probably just fucked up one line in their code and that was enough to cause the issue.

What they need to do now is release 4.41 as 4.46 (just rename it) and release it so we can get our PS3's working again (assuming manual updates will actually work). Then they can add the trophy notification switch rubbish sometime later when they've actually QA tested it.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Man ive updated, it did auto download and i clicked yes to do it. Due to playstation plus. I want a full day on last of us today! am i safe??

Soo, I just started reading this a few hours after I already did the update. I've turned my PS3 on and off atleast 3 or 4 times since then and nothing has happened. Am I in the clear?

Sad to hear. Well I have a Slim with installed 500 HDD and PS+

Auto update downloaded the new firmware but im still on 4.41 and am able to sign into PSN.

So i can keep playing normally till a fix arrives.

Hope this isnt actually bricking HDDs

FeiRR

Banned
No reason really. Even if it does, it'll shut down. Don't worry.

Swarley

I've got the slim and a WD 500gb HDD. Already installed the update but I haven't turned off the PS3 yet. Should I keep it on?

This is very fucking bad timing for Sony to be messing up a firmware update like this.

MS pundits and hardcore fans on the forum and everywhere else are gonna have a fucking field day with this cockup.

Right when they need all those PS4 preorders from the curent PS3 owners and the fence sitters from team green.

The ones who got their PS3s bricked by this update and lost all their on drive content are definitely gonna think twice about preordering that PS4 now.

They were riding so high before this (after the E3) that they had to come back down to earth at some point I guess.

It just goes to show that they've still got a long way more to go in terms of the software side of the business.

Say what you want about MS, they'd never let that shit happen with their own firmware updates. They've got 360 updates locked down pretty well. Updates are quick and hassle free on their platform.

I'm just glad that I didn't turn on my 320GB Slim before reading this thread carefully.

madmackem

This is very fucking bad timing for Sony to be messing up a firmware update like this.

Right when they need all those PS4 preorders from the curent PS3 owners.

The ones who got their PS3s bricked by this update and lost all their on drive content are definitely gonna think twice about preordering that PS4 now.

They were riding so high before this (after the E3) that they had to come back down to earth at some point I guess.

It just goes to show that they've still got a long way more to go in terms of the software side of the business.

Say what you want about MS, they'd never let that shit happen with their own firmware updates. They've got 360 updates locked down pretty well. Updates are quick and hassle free on their platform.

I'm just glad that I didn't turn on my 320GB Slim before reading this thread carefully.

Really, you must have missed xbox firmware bricked my console nearly every time a firmware update drops. Its the same for nearly every single device that gets firmware updates.

dubq

I installed the FW update on a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid earlier tonight (before brick reports came in) and it went fine.

Fucking damn it!!!!

I am not sure if is has to do with an update but my launch 20GB just gave me the YLOD.

Bullshit.

I was about to start playing Last of us and i can't even take the game out of my damn PS3 phat.

I will not even bother fixing it but i want my game. Ha Ha

Xbudz

I can't help but wonder if Microsoft was messing with Sony's update server.
Console war just got real?

This seriously sucks for anyone affected.

Tizoc

*Turns off forever*

...but the bling!
THE BLING!

So Sony undid the update, and you won't be prompted to download it?

Sucks to hear about people's Bricked PS3s tho =/
THE TROPHY BLING DOES NOT WANT TO BE DENIED!

Thoraxes

Thanks for the notice. When I just got home from work my PS3 asked me if I wanted to update.

You just saved my house from my rage.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Fucking damn it!!!!

I am not sure if is has to do with an update but my launch 20GB just gave me the YLOD.

Bullshit.

I was about to start playing Last of us and i can't even take the game out of my damn PS3 phat.

I will not even bother fixing it but i want my game. Ha Ha

use a blow dryer

you'll get it up and running for a while

Luckily, I was in the middle of a game when the update went up.

I guess this is a sign for me to go ahead and back up my PS3. With it being a BC 80GB, I fear that the clock is ticking anyway.

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow, guess I got lucky, I turned on my PS3 for the first time in a while to play TLoU and it said the only available update was 4.41, phew. I would have been devastated having my PS3 brick itself right when I buy TLoU.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Lucky I left my console running all last night, so it wasn't prompted to do an auto-update :x and now they've removed the update...sucks to those that have been affected :/ hope there's a solution for those people.

Top Bottom