• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

I hope you're joking. When NXE came out it bricked a massive amount of older consoles. This has happened far more with the 360 than with the PS3.

I have never heard of this happening on Xbox, and can't find anything about it on google. Some people claim the NXE gave them RRoD, but that was most likely just poor timing because there's no way that specific error can be caused by software.

Literally the only evidence of a firmware update on 360 breaking the console that I can find is when they updated the disc format to allow games more space, and even then they predicted that it would happen ahead of time and had a replacement plan ready to go. And it didn't even break the console, just the disc drive.

MFPSN

Neo Member
I just want to confirm, I have my system set to auto update, I think it takes place in like an hour. It isn't going to update now right, as this thread is saying it's back to 4.41?

I believe that is correct. I wasn't prompted to update when I signed in 30 minutes ago and I still have 4.41 with auto update on (12pm-2pm). I tried to update and it says I have the latest software installed. I can still log on to Netflix and PS Store.

ash_ag

My PS3 updated on itself via Plus. No problems here.

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory 80GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat without backward compatible

PS3 Region (choose one):
* PAL (Probably UK)

Ashes

Banned
Auto-update doesn't install firmware. It just sits there ready for you to install.

Firmwares can cause random screwups, but as soon as you get more than a couple of replies, you have to take the issue as affecting a group of people. And as wario put it, a pattern has seemingly emerged.

My ps3 use to get a message saying "it hasn't been turned off properly, and sometimes I would have to go into recovery mode because the data was corrupt when I turned it off from the back switch.

Found out the reason why. When you want to turn off your ps3, first put it into standby mode, and when the light turns red (which could take 5 seconds) then turn it off from the back switch. Since Ive done that I have never gotten the corrupt/ps3 wasn't turned off properly.

When it hardlocks in Fifa, nothing responds. No button presses on the controller or console (apart from the switch at the back) .The HDD also constantly flashes in this state.

I wonder if the flashing HDD.. and the switch off isnt related to what this firmware update has done. Maybe, for some people, that quick reboot after the install happens a bit faster than the big 1TB HDDs are ready for and its corrupting the files?
In my old situation, HDD rebuild never worked, just like the people with this problem. the XMB also never loaded up. Until I removed the HDD and ran Seagate tools to fix it.
Still, I dont recommend you guys do that... Sony will have to fix this via FW Update somehow.

baphomet

I have never heard of this happening on Xbox, and can't find anything about it on google. Some people claim the NXE gave them RRoD, but that was most likely just poor timing because there's no way that specific error can be caused by software.

Literally the only evidence of a firmware update on 360 breaking the console that I can find is when they updated the disc format to allow games more space, and even then they predicted that it would happen ahead of time and had a replacement plan ready to go.

You're not looking hard enough then. I got numerous pages of google results just now.

You're not looking hard enough then. I got numerous pages of google results just now.

Can you share them? I can only find articles about the 2011 disc format update, which I had already mentioned. Well, i also found one from 2006, which may have just been people getting banned for hacking.

I would love to be wrong about this, because my PS4 pre-order was recently upgraded to the launch version! I just want to feel confident that Sony is not incompetent at developing software.

HardRojo

My conclusions after reading some posts are:
  • If you got a FAT you should be fine, even if you upgraded.
  • If you got a Slim 1 with stock HDD you should be fine.
  • If you got a Slim 1 with a custom 500 GB HDD or over then you're likely to get your system bricked.
  • Don't know about the Super Slim but I suppose same rules for Slim 1 apply.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ohh, 1tb HDD in a Slim 1. Not going to chance it. Glad I saw this thread before powering on my system.

clav

Sounds like a custom HD problem.

Similar reasons why Apple, Google (Nexus Phones), and Microsoft (Xbox, some Windows Phones) are hesitant to support user removable storage.

Oh shit, didn't even know about this and I updated. Thankfully, everything is fine.

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* Canada

CinosAges

Yeah, mine was a 60gb launch unit with a 1tb WD drive and my system was stuck on the floating particles. System is fine when another HDD is placed in it, but I can't use the system with the 1tb drive any more.

I just tested my disc drive as well and everything seems to be fine.

• If you got a Slim 1 with stock HDD you should be fine.
  • If you got a Slim 1 with a custom 500 GB HDD or over then you're likely to get your system bricked.
  • Don't know about the Super Slim but I suppose same rules for Slim 1 apply.
Probably has to do with the NAND and how it works with the HDD.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
There are people out there with 1TB who have a fuck-ton content through game share trick

They might get super-fucked >_<

Wow, that is terrible for those that got bricked.

Seems to be that those affected can't access the XMB and some hardware functions cease to respond, but I would really hope the data would still be there. I would think we'll see an updated one soon and those with bricked PS3's will likely have to install the new firmware with the system recovery menu and a USB stick. I would hope that would fix the issue and the data hasn't been touched. If it fucked the HDD though... damn.

BasilZero

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory (160 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

----------

So....what happens if we updated it and nothing bad happened?

Commenters on Kotaku are claiming this kind of thing happens frequently with PS3 firmware updates, just usually on a much smaller scale.

Is that true? I have a PS3 that I rarely use, and it does seem to hard-lock pretty frequently. Really making me reconsider switching to PS4 next gen.... This kind of thing would never happen on Xbox.

Yes. Basically as I understand it, during a update the PS3 does a "hardware check" making sure everything works as it should. If one of the components returns a negative value, the update stops.

What should happen at that point is that it should revert to the old firmware and give an error. But it seems that this check happens after the old firmware has been partially overwritten with no backup made.

So the system essentially can only go forward and either goes into a update loop or doesnt do anything at all. Looks like the way the new firmware was written, The custom drives created a false positive and the fireware doesnt know what to do.

The biggest problem is the way updates work in the first place. On the 360 there are hooks in the code that allow changes to only overwrite what needs to be changed. Like just adding a new file to a folder. Thats why a typical game update on 360 can be kb in size.

On the PS3 the whole file has to be overwritten. That can lead to more errors because if one thing goes wrong, the whole thing goes wrong.

One of the reasons NXE bricked so many 360 is for that substantial an update, you had to overwrite the whole system OS just like the playstation system. But for PS3 EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE overwrites the system OS.

Sony make magnificent hardware but their software always has been and always will be their weak spot. A System Software Update should always leave a sony user in dread for what may happen next.

PS3s have been bricked throughout this generation because of this backward system. Especially ones that have had a hardware component fail but to the user still work fine pre update.

I updated mine just before I started playing TLOU, no problems here:

roblem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory 40GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat without backward compatible

PS3 Region (choose one):
* PAL (Probably UK)

baphomet

Can you share them? I can only find articles about the 2011 disc format update, which I had already mentioned. Well, i also found one from 2006, which may have just been people getting banned for hacking.

I would love to be wrong about this, because my PS4 pre-order was recently upgraded to the launch version! I just want to feel confident that Sony is not incompetent at developing software.

Google NXE bricking and scrolls through pages upon pages of articles. http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/nxe-hitting-360s-with-red-ring-freezing-and-sorta-sexy-avatar-i/ there's an article with some actual numbers.

CinosAges

Wow, that is terrible for those that got bricked.

Seems to be that those affected can't access the XMB and some hardware functions cease to respond, but I would think the data should still be there. I would think we'll see an updated one soon and those with bricked PS3's will likely have to install the new firmware with the system recovery menu and a USB stick. I would hope that would fix the issue...

My only concern is that I can't access the System Update option in the recovery menu. It just freezes when I choose the option. Here's hoping they release some sort of instructions to get through this mess.

These guys have posted in here that their console bricked, and have now posted specs:

These guys have posted in here that their console bricked, but still haven't posted any specs AFAICS:
Vincent4756
DavieC726
Persona7
CinosAges
BoilersFan23
anddo0​

Care to elaborate please? There's probably a fat model that might brick and I missed it, would help to know.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64698626&postcount=437

Benedict

I have a PS3 slim with a 1tb hdd. I also have plus with automatically updates the system.
Am I screwed? Should I turn on the system or what can I do?

HardRojo

These guys have posted in here that their console bricked, and have now posted specs:

These guys have posted in here that their console bricked, but still haven't posted any specs AFAICS:
Vincent4756
DavieC726
Persona7
CinosAges
BoilersFan23
anddo0​

Slims with custom 750GB or 1TB HDDs are most likely going to brick, I'd like to see more cases about fat PS3s but it seems most people haven't put a custom HDD on them so they won't break :/

Wiping the hard drive is going to be an unacceptable solution for some people.

It seems a lot of PSN accounts have corrupted download lists.

No one is discovering it until they need to redownload something and it's missing.
Like this guy in Turkey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTlVVB22GM8
He bought Last of Us and noticed it's not in his download list anymore. (Still in his purchased list)

Meaning, if he had to wipe his drive because of this, he loses his game.

Yes. Basically as I understand it, during a update the PS3 does a "hardware check" making sure everything works as it should. If one of the components returns a negative value, the update stops.

What should happen at that point is that it should revert to the old firmware and give an error. But it seems that this check happens after the old firmware has been partially overwritten with no backup made.

So the system essentially can only go forward and either goes into a update loop or doesnt do anything at all. Looks like the way the new firmware was written, The custom drives created a false positive and the fireware doesnt know what to do.

The biggest problem is the way updates work in the first place. On the 360 there are hooks in the code that allow changes to only overwrite what needs to be changed. Like just adding a new file to a folder. Thats why a typical game update on 360 can be kb in size.

On the PS3 the whole file has to be overwritten. That can lead to more errors because if one thing goes wrong, the whole thing goes wrong.

One of the reasons NXE bricked so many 360 is for that substantial an update, you had to overwrite the whole system OS just like the playstation system. But for PS3 EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE overwrites the system OS.

Sony make magnificent hardware but their software always has been and always will be their weak spot. A System Software Update should always leave a sony user in dread for what may happen next.

PS3s have been bricked throughout this generation because of this backward system. Especially ones that have had a hardware component fail but to the user still work fine pre update.

Wow, this is an incredibly helpful post. Thanks! It's also super depressing, though, because it confirms my fears that Microsoft is significantly more skilled at designing reliable software than Sony.

Is there any chance Sony has learned from the PS3 and will add similar "hooks" to the OS of the PS4?

HardRojo

Wiping the hard drive is going to be an unacceptable solution for some people.

It seems a lot of PSN accounts have corrupted download lists.

No one is discovering it until they need to redownload something and it's missing.
Like this guy in Turkey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTlVVB22GM8
He bought Last of Us and noticed it's not in his download list anymore. (Still in his purchased list)

Meaning, if he had to wipe his drive because of this, he loses his game.

Damn, I wonder how bad Sony fucked up with this... I know some friends who got bricked Slims and one of them went DD only on his PS3 since last year, hopefully he doesn't lose his games.

Aw fuck, I've got a slim with a 1TB HDD and PS+ auto update swtched on. :(

People mentioned it'll only download the firmware but you still need to install it yourself so you know what to do ;)

CinosAges

Vincent4756
DavieC726
Persona7
CinosAges
BoilersFan23
anddo0​

Whoops! I thought I posted it a while back

* Yes

HDD (choose one):
* Custom 1tb

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat with backward compatible

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

Replicant

The slim/fat version doesn't seem to matter. It seems anyone with 750GB or 1TB HDD are at risk of bricking their console/HDD if they use this FW update.

Yeah, mine was a 60gb launch unit with a 1tb WD drive and my system was stuck on the floating particles. System is fine when another HDD is placed in it, but I can't use the system with the 1tb drive any more.

I just tested my disc drive as well and everything seems to be fine.

So the system is fine and just the HDD borked? Interesting how the minute you put the original 60GB HDD the update went without a hitch.

HardRojo

Well it seems like it's definitely a problem with custom 750GB and 1TB HDDs no matter the model, unless someone with a launch fat and another with a non BC fat can confirm that their PS3s haven't bricked and they got a custom HDD just like the ones mentioned above.
Really glad I didn't turn on my PS3 yet to update this, I'll wait until it becomes safe to update it.
You're good to go, Sony has pulled the update.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Aw fuck, I've got a slim with a 1TB HDD and PS+ auto update swtched on. :(

Anyone with PS+ auto update should be fine, a PS3 won't update the firmware unless you let it, so just don't till the problem is resolved or you feel that it is ok to do so.

Withnail

Very pleased that they've finally provided the option to turn off the trophy notifications.

Shame about the problems though. I'll be holding off for now until it's confirmed to be safe. This is why I'm surprised they're allowing HDD replacement on PS4, it's been causing problems for devs all gen on PS3.

Wow, this is an incredibly helpful post. Thanks! It's also super depressing, though, because it confirms my fears that Microsoft is significantly more skilled at designing reliable software than Sony.

Is there any chance Sony has learned from the PS3 and will add similar "hooks" to the OS of the PS4?

No idea. But from my experience (two slims) I will not buy any next gen console without an extended warranty.

Sony to their credit, replaced my systems automatically, picking them up from my home and even txting me the time the delivery guy would arrive. But yeah. Anytime an update comes up on any device I own, I always give it a few days before I install it.

likewise, it seems they have worked on the issue somewhat because once upon a time, if an update failed you wouldnt of even got to the system recovery menu.

Top Bottom