• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

I saw that PS+ had downloaded an update and actually tried to install it but it wouldn't let me - it said I already had the latest version.

Now, will this 4.45 get automatically deleted or will it sit forever unused on my HDD?

Eusis

Unless they plan on releasing the PS4 in a month I don't think this strategy would play out well
And if they didn't just put out a big budget game with another following in fall. They're going to be more lucrative than the PS4, so you don't want to kill PS3 support without full BC.
Are. You. Fucking. Kidding me?

I've owned a PS3 since LAUNCH in 2006. And I literally, for the first time looked up how to turn off Trophy notifications so it wouldn't interfere with The Last of Us and was surprised there wasn't an option.

Now there is. Insane coincidence? Or did LOU cause this?
Ironically I actually do wonder if there's something of a connection. TLoU is one of the most trophy barren games I've played (Earth Defense Force on 360 meanwhile is THE most barren game in that regard), maybe they realized it can be kind of a buzz kill to the experience (nevermind how making it an option allows them to be more liberal with trophies without undermining it) so for games where people may mind the option's thrown in.

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* 160GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* CECHPxx (FAT)

PS3 Region (choose one):
* NA

cormack12

Gold Member
Correction:
There is an option to turn off notifications, which doesn't turn off trophy notifications.

Correct. The existing option did used to turn off trophy popups but a fw update removed it. It now removes friend sign in popups or receipt of messages - mainly used whilst watching films etc.

This update allows us to switch off trophy notifications again and only.

Metalmarc

Call me lazy but this is why i always wait before doing updates especially on OS's and sometimes games and apps see iPad (countless times I've seen a app update break the app or make it worse)

It should be the duty of those who have more than one PS3 if they would be so kind to be the new update testers on their spare system that they don't mind sacrificing and testing the stability for 24hours, of course that would be up to them and shouldn't be expected. Then if all is good then tell everyone to try it,

hmm maybe even sony should do this with spare PS3's maybe they could have a range of several test ps3's which are tested before sending update out?

This should be sonys test lab

One should be the og ps3 with ps2 compatibility
Then then next range of og ps3 without ps2 BC
Then the same but with a upgraded HDD like how we would do it
Then a stock ps3 slim
A upgraded slim with > than stock HDD
Then the latest ps3 with the 12gb HDD
Then the largest capacity stock newest ps3
Then newest ps3 with upgraded > than stock HDD (say 1 or 2 TB

With a range of games, some with PS+, some without

And then if the update passes all those systems, then roll it out to customers

Just a thought

anddo0

Installed the firmware on my OG Slim 160GB hdd and it works fine.
Does me little good though. I haven't used it since maybe the summer of last year.

kvn

tumblr_m5w9qpukhq1r5j54u5t.gif

Yagharek

Whoa, just woke up to this. Glad I didn't update yet and my PS+ sub ran out a week ago...

This is actually a sensible argument against always-online/auto-updating for firmware.

I hope PS4/XBone include an option like PCs to prompt the user to update rather than doing it automatically. That way if a system-bricking firmware is released, you can hold off for a few days til the stable release is issued.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm sorry for the insensitive image. But I would almost rather this be an attack on Sony's servers as opposed to them making a mistake like this after about 7 years on the market with PS3.

The image is completely irrelivant, it's the mind bogglingly crazy speculation that came with it. This is not gamefaqs, such a crazy suggestion is ... . i. i just .. seriously?

Can I play The Last of Us SP without updating the FW that PS+ already downloaded?

This isn't an Xbox One. You can play SP without connecting to the Internet.

Oddly, my PS+ didn't auto update my system to the new firmware. I don't think it usually does. It downloads and then prompts me that there is an update available and I just go through the process.

Still on 4.41.

Fergie

Banned
Problem with FW 4.45?:
No

HDD:
Factory (60GB)

PS3 type:
Fat without backward compatible

PS3 Region:
UK

I got worried since I was reading this around 11am and by then my PS3 automatically updated. But it's working fine.

jimi_dini

People didn't like the trophy pop-ups?

The atmosphere of a few games is ruined. Games with superb atmosphere are ruined.
Shadow Of The Colossus, Ico and Silent Hill HD collection (noone should play the latter though) for example

Silent Hill 2 spoiler:
Ping, trophy - you killed your wife - Let's have a party

Couldn't stand some of them in Spec Ops The Line as well.

hayguyz

Banned
I loved it in Shadow of the Colossus.

After having defeated a colossus, standing over it, having the melancholy music playing, and then..

*bling* Trophy! YAY!

Games are truly art

Grinchy

Banned
Shit, I just got a 30-Day Plus code from a gaffer so I bet it updated automatically. I'm afraid to turn my PS3 on now but I really want to play Last of Us.

Ristlager

Woke up this morning and found my PS3 running on full steam. Thought it was my son who had turned it on. Didn't manage to turn it off using the off button, so I had to pull the plug. Didn't think about it untill I read this thread. Came home now and turned it on. Had to rebuild/fix the hd because it was not turned off correctly. But when it did all that it left me with only the waves for a loooong time. Thought it was bricked, but the menues have started to appear and I can move between them, but it is so fricking slow.

Is this the problem, or are people having even more problem?

I have a slim with a standard 160 gb hdd.

EDIT: After getting another freeze, I pulled the cord again and everything works as smooth as it used to. I am now on 4.41, uncertain on why my PS3 acted like it did...

Omni

Why would someone want to turn off trophy notifications? (never had PS3, generally curious here). Aren't they like achievements on the 360?

Edit. nvm, just read last page. Carry on. :)

aristotle

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (750 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

I had no idea there were issues. I updated as soon as I saw the topic last night. Oh well.

Seth

Have there been any reports of someone WITHOUT an upgraded hard drive being affected?

So far I have only seen SOME reports of 750gb drives being affected and I think every 1tb has reported a problem.

I installed the 4.45 firmware on my original 160 GB drive; it worked so I'm probably going to just format my 1TB hdd and see if that fixes the problem.

TheGamer

I posted my specs earlier in the thread, but I didn't post my HDD. I have a HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 750GB 7200RPM SATA II 8 MB Cache HDD in my Slim 1 PS3. I updated my PS3 last night at around 9:00 p.m. E.S.T. I didn't have any problems after it rebooted. Does anyone know the reason why the firmware is affecting some users and not others? Like I said, I have a 750gb and have not experienced any problems. It might be certain HDD manufactures that are having problems and not the actual size of the HDD.

Installed it late last night without issue, and am now waking up to see this. My heart goes out to you guys having problems. That is a huge, huge bummer.

Edit: sorry I should have read the updated OP.

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (500 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

kick51

Banned
The atmosphere of a few games is ruined. Games with superb atmosphere are ruined.
Shadow Of The Colossus, Ico and Silent Hill HD collection (noone should play the latter though) for example

Silent Hill 2 spoiler:
Ping, trophy - you killed your wife - Let's have a party

Couldn't stand some of them in Spec Ops The Line as well.

Ruined?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Are. You. Fucking. Kidding me?

I've owned a PS3 since LAUNCH in 2006. And I literally, for the first time looked up how to turn off Trophy notifications so it wouldn't interfere with The Last of Us and was surprised there wasn't an option.

Now there is. Insane coincidence? Or did LOU cause this?

It's really not something to worry about for The Last of Us, the only ones that will pop in the middle of the game are the ones for collectables and MP, none will go off during story segments etc.

Top Bottom