• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition Announced [Windows 10]

Finally signed up for the beta.

Now waiting the confirmation mail

064523a6b74fe66d0716d8be61ba5b24.gif

EDIT: GOT IT!

Still haven't gotten mine!

Ahmed

RoR expansion of this game was my 1st RTS ever, my brother even like it more than AoE II, cannot wait for it.

Very glad to see more Age of Empires, but something about the art style just doesn't seem right to me. The buildings and ships are alright, but the other units don't look quite right for some reason. I can't really figure out what it is about them that makes it seem weird to me.

Harteex

Very glad to see more Age of Empires, but something about the art style just doesn't seem right to me. The buildings and ships are alright, but the other units don't look quite right for some reason. I can't really figure out what it is about them that makes it seem weird to me.

Yea I feel the same. Especially the horses.

Anyway, looking forward to it! Too bad I just played through the original game :p

Tagyhag

Agreed, I'll give it a shot but thankfully they said the original art will still be there as well.

Can't wait for the future of the series.

RM8

My fond memories of AoE are actually with the turn-based DS games :x I played AoE2 with my friends on PC, but I'll always be terrible at RTS games... A new turn based one would be awesome.

frontovik

Banned
Was re-listening to the music score for vanilla Age of Empires.. it's far better compared to Rise of Rome and Gold Edition's midi.

Erevador

I am so happy about the fact that AoE is coming back, but something about the aesthetics feels slightly off. The colors don't have the right level of vibrancy, and there is a general grey murk in the visuals that somehow lacks the charm of the original. I'm still happy it's happening, and perhaps I'm just having trouble adjusting, but somehow it seems to lack the sharp 2D solidity of the original that has such an angular charm about it.

I can see that there is also beauty in these re-made visuals and I'm looking forward to immersing myself and adjusting to them.

Melon Husk

AoE 1 remake? This isn't what I asked for, Bill.

I am so happy about the fact that AoE is coming back, but something about the aesthetics feels slightly off. The colors don't have the right level of vibrancy, and there is a general grey murk in the visuals that somehow lacks the charm of the original. I'm still happy it's happening, and perhaps I'm just having trouble adjusting, but somehow it seems to lack the sharp 2D solidity of the original that has such an angular charm about it.

I can see that there is also beauty in these re-made visuals and I'm looking forward to immersing myself and adjusting to them.

Murky and smudgy. I look at the screenshots and it's as if they've all been taken on a cloudy day. Where's the shine, where are the bright colors? It was so easy to tell apart your units in older RTSes. Cleanliness is not clarity.

Top Bottom