• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises commonly associated with the wrong companies?

Alphahawk

This thread was inspired by the "Sega reviving old IPs" thread where multiple people seemed to believe that Power Stone was a Sega property(it's Capcom btw).

What other examples are there?

Camjo-Z

People thinking Sony owned/owns Crash is probably the biggest one. It was Universal then and Activision now.

D.Lo

This thread was inspired by the "Sega reviving old IPs" thread where multiple people seemed to believe that Power Stone was a Sega property(it's Capcom btw).

Power Stone I can actually understand, it really really looks and plays like a Sega game and was on Sega hardware in the arcade and at home.

Many people confuse certain Nintendo studios for 3rd party. Xenoblade etc.

Pokemon confuses everyone, Pokemon Go in particular threw so many for a loop claiming 'Nintendo doesn't own it'. While the control and ownership is technically shared (though unequally), Nintendo is the full, sole owner of all Pokemon trademarks, characters and logos. The Pokemon company is a partly autonomous brand manager, but not owner.

People treating Bayonetta as a Nintendo game.

It's true Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2, it's true the game was developed by Platinum Games; still, Sega owns the IP.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Ask Microsoft Exes about Donkey Kong IP.

Edited: already beaten.

Phediuk

We had a thread not too long ago where people seemed to assume every Genesis game not made by Sega was by Treasure. Like, games that weren't even made in Japan were being called Treasure games.

Kassu

Banned
Not commonly associated with wrong company or anything but most people probably don't know the connection between Activision and Blizzard?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People treating Bayonetta as a Nintendo game.

It's true Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2, it's true the game was developed by Platinum Games; still, Sega owns the IP.

Actually I've seen more people associate Bayonetta being owned by PG than Nintendo.

You do know Nintendo co-owns the Pokémon Company, right?

Or have I been bamboozled?

1/3

same with Fire Emblem - IS owns Fire Emblem

As mentioned above, Nintendo is the full, sole owner of all Pokemon trademarks, characters and logos

well, co-ownership

Magnus

You do know Nintendo co-owns the Pokémon Company, right?

Or have I been bamboozled?

You're correct. You tend to see a lot of folks try to push the agenda that The Pokemon Company is this entity totally separate from Nintendo, and that Nintendo has no influence on the ultimate fate and trajectory of the Pokemon franchise, which seems preposterous to me. Happy to be corrected though.

I'm fairly certain Nintendo owns Pokemon outright and TPC manages it.

WizdogC

Neo Member
It wasn't wide spread, but when it was announced Insomniac was developing a Spider-Man game, I heard so many people going "Insomniac, the ones who did Infamous?! Oh shit this game's gonna be sick!"

And I'm like, no.......not them, that's Sucker-Punch

Boss Doggie

You're correct. You tend to see a lot of folks try to push the agenda that The Pokemon Company is thus entity totally separate from Nintendo, and that Nintendo has no influence on the ultimate fate and trajectory of the Pokemon franchise, which seems preposterous to me. Happy to be corrected though.

Nintendo owns part of TPC but generally speaking it is its own entity.

Anastasia as a Disney movie. Oh games?

Back in the day I remember friends from school thinking Capt. Falcon and Ness were characters unique to Smash Bros, does that count?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pokemon is co-owned by Nintendo
Pokemon is developed by The Pokemon Company, which is co-owned by Nintendo
Game Freak, which co-owns The Pokemon Company, develops Pokemon
Game Freak is not owned by Nintendo and they develop 3rd party games

I guess some people also think Game Freak is owned by Nintendo?

D.Lo

well, co-ownership
No, Nintendo is the full, sole owner of all Pokemon trademarks, characters and logos.

Beyond that it's complex, Nintendo have shared ownership in the property as a whole and of the brand manager TPC. So they do not technically have full control of the franchise (though are clearly the dominant partner, and partially own each of the other two partners), but ultimately when it comes down to it get all the licensing fees, though they are usually obscured because they leave TPC as a separate financial entity.

Boss Doggie

No, Nintendo is the full, sole owner of all Pokemon trademarks, characters and logos.

Beyond that it's complex, Nintendo have shared ownership in the property as a whole and of the brand manager TPC. So they do not technically have full control of the franchise (though are clearly the dominant partner, and partially own each of the other two partners), but ultimately when it comes down to it get all the licensing fees, though they are usually obscured because they leave TPC as a separate financial entity.

I'm speaking mainly in the TPC idea. Because GF is in the equation. Also is Creatures Inc. really fully absorbed by Nintendo?

Wait Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Yeah. They even had that mediocre elephant game in Steam if you're interested.

StoneFox

Every few years or so it seems like the Spyro the Dragon brand gets handed off to someone else, causing confusion.

Right now Activision is the publisher, but the likes of Sony, Konami (in Japan), Universal and Sierra Games have had a hand at publishing titles.

Isomniac may have been the original developers, but half a dozen studios have developed games for it, explaining the random redesigns of Spyro. It's kind of a mess.

Glowsquid

There was this thread a while back about 16-bits action games and people were seriously saying the Genesis Batman and Robin was by Treasure (it was made by a bunch of Amiga demoscene coders), because it has a similar jump kick attack I guess?

Not an exact example but Baten Kaitos.

When Monolith Soft future software or what franchise Nintendo should bring back comes up it is often mentioned.

While Nintendo did publish the prequel Origins the IP still belongs to Namco. Looked like a Bayonetta 2 situation.

Baten%20Kaitos%20Origins.jpg

Also Monolith Soft was the co-developer along with Tri-Crescendo (Eternal Sonata and the Amazing Fragile Dreams). They were responsible for a lot of the work with their music being the highlight. They also designed the battle system of Origins. On both games each company had a Director for the game with equal credit.

Castlevania is actually a Capcom property.

To be honest, I only see this meme on Gaf. I have never seen any other place actually use it, either unintentionally or ironically. Though Gaf is a place where memes tend to die, so I guess it sort of makes sense it seems rather out of touch.

koutoru

The first Kingdom Hearts game was actually developed and published by SquareSoft (they didn't become Square Enix until a year later) and was distributed by Disney Interactive.

To be honest, I only see this meme on Gaf. I have never seen any other place actually use it, either unintentionally or ironically. Though Gaf is a place where memes tend to die, so I guess it sort of makes sense it seems rather out of touch.
Because here is where it originated

Top Bottom