• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises commonly associated with the wrong companies?

People thinking Bloodborne has a chance on Xbox and PC and PS4 only got a 2 year exclusivity since 'All souls games come to Xbox and PC'.....clearly those people didn't see the trademark (or don't know about Demon's Souls)

bloodborne-trademark-2.jpg

I believe Nintendo also owns all the buildings where TPC, Game Freak, Creatures, Genius Sorority, etc, work. They have full control of the Pokemon IP in all but name.

A lot of people seem to think Nintendo owned Rare.

This is true, sort of. Back when they were Rareware, Nintendo owned another company called Rare, which owned all the IPs that Rareware produced. It was either dissolved or merged with the present day Rare when MS bought them.

Alphahawk

This is true, sort of. Back when they were Rareware, Nintendo owned another company called Rare, which owned all the IPs that Rareware produced. It was either dissolved or merged with the present day Rare when MS bought them.

Nintendo stopped owning Rare IPs after 1997. This is why Perfect Dark, Banjo and Conker all speared on Microsofy platforms as Rare is the sole owner of these.

Nimtendo stopped owning Rare IPs after 1997. This is why Perfect Dark, Banjo and Conker all speared on Microsofy platforms as Rare is the sole owner of these.

I was under the impression that Nintendo owned everything up to the sale, until the Stamper Bros bought back Nintendo's 49% share of the company for $100 mil (on credit) and negotiated a deal where Nintendo got to keep everything Donkey Kong, while Rare got to keep the rest. Admittedly it's been a while since I looked into this.

Alphahawk

I was under the impression that Nintendo owned everything up to the sale, until the Stamper Bros bought back Nintendo's 49% share of the company for $100 mil (on credit) and negotiated a deal where Nintendo got to keep everything Donkey Kong, while Rare got to keep the rest. Admittedly it's been a while since I looked into this.

I actually recall the info I stated from when BK was first coming out. I'm pretty sure it was the first property Rare owned outright. I could be mistaken though.

Glowsquid

Nintendo stopped owning Rare IPs after 1997. This is why Perfect Dark, Banjo and Conker all speared on Microsofy platforms as Rare is the sole owner of these.

I read Rare actually owned the rights to the characters introduced in DK64 (and ONLY those characters in the entire DKC property) until the buyout (where there was an amicable agreement to have Nintendo retain the DK64 and Star Fox Adventures characters), but I was never able to find a solid source for that claim.

mieumieu

not totally off topic but do you guys think a videogame fact checking website could work? If it went big, we would have much less confusion about these (and numerous other kinds of ) misconceptions.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was done by Next Level Game, a western independent studio but not owned so technically a 3rd party western indie developer?

1/3

same with Fire Emblem - IS owns Fire Emblem
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-3ds
© 2017 Nintendo / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS. Fire Emblem and Nintendo 3DS are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2017 Nintendo.
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was done by Next Level Game, a western independent studio but not owned so technically a 3rd party western indie developer?

NLG is a 3rd party indie developer, but Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is not a 3rd party indie game.

Chrono Trigger associated with SquareEnix when it was really the old square(the majority if which aren't part of SquareEnix anymore)

All Rare games after Free Radical formation associated to the Rare of old. Rare doesn't even have staff from their 90's heydays the last I checked.

Patryn

Chrono Trigger associated with SquareEnix when it was really the old square(the majority if which aren't part of SquareEnix anymore)

All Rare games after Free Radical formation associated to the Rare of old. Rare doesn't even have staff from their 90's heydays the last I checked.

Doesn't really work here, because SE does own everything related to Chrono.

And while, yes, it was Square who originally made Chrono Trigger, it was partly notable because it was a collaboration with a bunch of the main people behind Dragon Quest, which was Enix's flagship series. So even at the time there was a lot of Enix flavoring in there, albeit not officially.

ASIS

A lot of people seemed to think Tetris was a Nintendo game. But I'm not sure if this misconception is still around.

Darksol

I know its not exactly a franchise yet but I had the hardest time convincing my nephew that Horizon wasn't an Ubisoft game.

All you need to do is point out the good design, well written characters, and lack of repetitive gameplay to know it's not Ubisoft.

I believe Nintendo owns shares in Game Freak? Or maybe it was Creatures Inc.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

The Pokemon Company is owned 33% each by Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures. I believe the remaining 1% is held by TPC itself. TPC is the copyright owner of Pokemon and basically a brand management firm staffed by executives from all three parent companies.

GameFreak is completely independent. Nintendo is a majority owner of Creatures. Therefore, Nintendo probably controls more than 50% but less than 66% of the Pokemon copyright.

The trademark, which is separate from the copyright, is owned 100% by Nintendo. That includes the names, designs, and branding of all Pokemon related materials.

GoldStarz

Nintendo owning Pokémon :p even shareholders fell for it!

Do you mean Pokemon Go in particular? Because Ninty does own about a third of the franchise, but Pokemon Go was also developed with Niantic who, iirc were going to see a good chunk of Go's profits which limited what Nintendo would see.

hmm seems like I misunderstood then, FE is owned by Nintendo, but IS is not

Yeah there's a lot of Nintendo partners that would fit perfectly in a thread of "studios commonly associated with the wrong companies."

IntSys
HAL
GameFreak
NLG
Monster
Grezzo
Ganbarion

All companies that develop almost exclusively for Nintendo platforms (with a few exceptions), but none are owned by Nintendo.

The general public tends to think that Nintendo makes any games appearing on Nintendo consoles. Which given their track record with third-party support is kinda half-true.

Nintendo has a whole ecosystem of "second-party" developers which produce games (nearly) exclusively for their platforms, often using Nintendo IP, but are not owned by Nintendo. For instance, Intelligent Systems, which is responsible for the Fire Emblem and Paper Mario franchises, is not owned by Nintendo despite at times sharing office buildings. Contrast this to Monolith Soft which is majority owned by Nintendo.

While the Pokemon trademark is owned by Nintendo it is managed by the Pokemon Company which is a joint venture shared with Game Freak and Creatures Inc. So Pokemon Go would have been created out of a deal between the Pokemon Company and Niantic. It's unclear how much of the profit would go to Nintendo.

Inviusx

Farcry 1: Developed by Crytek, published by Ubisoft.
Crysis: Developed by Crytek, published by EA.
Farcry 2: Developed and published by Ubisoft.

Top Bottom