• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises commonly associated with the wrong companies?

It's the same exact thing.

Erm, no.

An independent video game (commonly referred to as an indie game) is a video game that is created without the financial support of a publisher

Indie developers develop indie games. Next Level Games is a video game developer whom is independent. All of their games are publisher financed. Not a single indie game in the list.

JoeM86

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

The Pokemon Company is owned 33% each by Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures. I believe the remaining 1% is held by TPC itself. TPC is the copyright owner of Pokemon and basically a brand management firm staffed by executives from all three parent companies.

GameFreak is completely independent. Nintendo is a majority owner of Creatures. Therefore, Nintendo probably controls more than 50% but less than 66% of the Pokemon copyright.

The trademark, which is separate from the copyright, is owned 100% by Nintendo. That includes the names, designs, and branding of all Pokemon related materials.

Yep. All explained here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721

Though Nintendo isn't a majority owner of Creatures as far as I am aware.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Erm, no.

Indie developers develop indie games. Next Level Games is a video game developer whom is independent. All of their games are publisher financed. Not a single indie game in the list.
That's moving the goalpost and you know it. The unsourced definition you quoted does not support what you said.

NLG is an indie developer.

Their games are not indie games.

There's a difference. What you claimed is that an independent developer is different from an indie developer, and that's not true, it's exactly the same.

gelf

OP covered my first thought on seeing the thread. It's crazy how much Power Stone gets confused. Every Sega port begging thread I've ever seen has multiple people bring up Power Stone.

Wulfram

It seems fairly common for people to think Black Isle developed Baldur's Gate, rather than Bioware. Understandable, since they published it and its the sort of game they make.

From another thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=232158752#post232158752
...Remember Me looked like a Ubisoft game through and through. So much that three or four times I forgot that Ubisoft was not the game's publisher.

It took reading this post for me to actually internalise the fact that Ubisoft had nothing to do with Remember Me...

It’s an interesting history:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012120...view-can-capcoms-new-ip-prove-everyone-wrong/
November 2012
JEAN-MAXIME MORIS: ...We [Dontnod] had the immense luck of having an investor... So we thought, you know what, let's not find a publisher and change our game again. Let's make our game and find a publisher afterwards. The deal with Sony ended early 2011, so that year I went to Gamescom with a teaser [trailer], concept art and a speech. The idea was to create some excitement amongst journalists, which creates a feedback loop and catches the attention of publishers. That happened. Our goal was to get a publishing deal by the end of the year, and by the time we signed with Capcom we had four publishing deals on the table. We chose Capcom because it was the most enthusiastic and respectful towards the ideas of the project...

http://www.develop-online.net/analysis/q-a-dontnod/0116379
March 2009
OSKAR GUILBERT: Our first project as a studio [Dontnod]... is innovative and ambitious in terms of gameplay and technology and fits triple-A games quality standards... It’s our first project as a studio, but not as a team. Aleski [Briclot], Jean-Maxime [Moris] and I have already worked together at Ubisoft...
DEVELOP: Are you looking for publishers to sign your game?
GUILBERT: Yes. We will present our game at GDC this month. Though the preproduction is independently financed, we believe that the creative visions of the developer and the publisher have to meet up as soon as possible, preferably in preproduction. Our experience is that the sooner the publisher is involved, the safer the development process is. Having the publisher on board from the beginning also facilitates building a strong marketing strategy...

Oreiller

Dragon Quest X is the first mainline game in the series to be developped internally by Enix/Square Enix.
The first five games were developped by Chunsoft for instance.

That's moving the goalpost and you know it. The unsourced definition you quoted does not support what you said.

NLG is an indie developer.

Their games are not indie games.

There's a difference. What you claimed is that an independent developer is different from an indie developer, and that's not true, it's exactly the same.

Like, read defintion of indie developer anywhere, there's no moving goalposts. Just one of us is wrong, and it's not me :p

Google "indie game developer".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_video_game_development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_game_developers

Indie develoeprs make indie games. It's in the name! NLG are only independent in that fact they're owned by themselves / not beholden to some other company (although Nintendo should just buy them, they need some more dev studios in the West). They don't make indie games, so they're not an indie developer.

daTRUballin

I've noticed that there's a certain group of individuals (not just from GAF, but the internet in general) that mistakenly believe that Star Fox 64 was developed by Rare. This always seemed very odd to me and never made sense. Is it because Rare made Star Fox Adventures and some people just assume they've made the other games in the series? Is it because of the anthropomorphic animal characters? What's the reason for this exactly?

Indie develoeprs make indie games. It's in the name! NLG are only independent in that fact they're owned by themselves / not beholden to some other company (although Nintendo should just buy them, they need some more dev studios in the West). They don't make indie games, so they're not an indie developer.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I am wondering what's the point of having such a distinction. What if a company made 99 indie games and 1 publisher-backed game? What if it's the other way around? What if it's 50-50? Which cases qualify a developer to be called an "indie developer"? If there's an indie developer that has created nothing but indie games but then got bought by a publisher, would they still be an indie developer during that time frame before they release any game under that publisher?

Wouldn't a special term for "a developer that is not beholden to some other company" more useful and concrete than a term for "a developer who have created a certain percentage of indie games during a certain time."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mean, what about Snipperclips? It was made back as an indie game but Nintendo bought it upon completion. So it's not an indie game anymore?

JayBabay

I know its not exactly a franchise yet but I had the hardest time convincing my nephew that Horizon wasn't an Ubisoft game.

Wow, what a coincidence. My cousin, who is an avid gamer, kept thinking this same exact thing and I couldn't for the life of me understand how or why.

Nanashrew

Banned
Next Level Games is an independent company that rarely ever produces their own original IP (only 2 out of their whole catalog) and work mainly on commercial licensed games and stuff from major publishers to do things like Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon on Wii, or stuff from Nintendo.

petran79

Banned
Most familiar case is Wonderboy,which was developed by Westone instead of Sega.

Mace the Dark Age was developed by Atari. Midway just handled the N64 port. Midway did only develop MK4, hence the confusion.
Same for Gauntlet Legends.

SF EX was developed by ARIKA,not Capcom.

Also some Neo Geo games were mistakingly thought to be developed by SNK. Samurai Shodown V, Waku Waku 7, Kabuki Clash, Breakers etc

Tales of Monkey Island and Sam and Max were produced by Telltale,not Lucasarts.

Jaleco was only the publisher of NES Maniac Mansion,not the developer.

Epic did not take part in the development of GBA Jazz Jackrabbit.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

The Pokemon Company is owned 33% each by Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures. I believe the remaining 1% is held by TPC itself. TPC is the copyright owner of Pokemon and basically a brand management firm staffed by executives from all three parent companies.

GameFreak is completely independent. Nintendo is a majority owner of Creatures. Therefore, Nintendo probably controls more than 50% but less than 66% of the Pokemon copyright.

The trademark, which is separate from the copyright, is owned 100% by Nintendo. That includes the names, designs, and branding of all Pokemon related materials.

This is my understanding (although, unless Japan has some wacky laws, I don't think company can own it's own shares in any meaningful sense).

Nintendo is the ultimate legal owner of Pokemon through its direct holding in TPC and its indirect holding in TPC through Creatures Inc and its ownership of the trademarks.

Ultimately, Nintendo controls the franchise and what Nintendo says with regard to Pokemon, goes. And that's all there is to it.

Celine

Nintendo stopped owning Rare IPs after 1997. This is why Perfect Dark, Banjo and Conker all speared on Microsofy platforms as Rare is the sole owner of these.
Not true.
Just look at the copyright:

BK on N64:
Banjo-Kazooie-title.png

BK on Xbox 360:
banjo-kazooie-xbox-360-title-screen.png

Before the Stamper bros sold Rare to Microsoft for a huge sum of money they bought back Nintendo shares for about $100 million and settle with Nintendo how the IPs would have been split between the two companies.
The deal was that Nintendo retained the IPs already owned by Nintendo before Rare worked on them (everything related to Donkey Kong and Starfox) while Rare would keep the rest.

Looking at Rare games sales under Nintendo (in relation of the new IPs Rare/Microsoft now fully owns) it is easy to spot why Nintendo was favourable to such IPs split.
In fact the IPs bought by Microsoft with the acquisition of Rare composed less than 25% of Rare total sales.

EDIT:
FE rights are cross joined between Nintendo and Intelligent System which isn't owned by Nintendo.
Same for Kirby and HAL or Pokémon and Game Freak.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Like, read defintion of indie developer anywhere, there's no moving goalposts. Just one of us is wrong, and it's not me :p

Google "indie game developer".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_video_game_development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_game_developers

Again moving goalposts.

The first article talks about indie game development, not developers, so it's nothing new and not what we are talking about, except that you insist to mix indie developer with indie development.

The second article has an inaccurate definition of indie developers and then lists developers, many that haven't even made indie games, like Hello Games that made NMS, with the backing of a big publisher, the basic rule of an indie game broken right there, thus breaking the definition of the same article, they are an indie developer that made a non indie game.

Indie developer = independent developer = developer that isn't part of a bigger company.

Indie game = videogame developed without the backing of a publisher.

It's not that hard, the size of the company doesn't matter, the games they develop don't matter.

What if Nintendo payed Thomas Happ games to develop a new 2D Metroid game?

Would that game be an indie? No.
Would Thomas Happ games stop being an indie developer? No.
Would the game be awesome? Hell yeah!

HeatBoost

Isn't PacMan Namco's creation and property? Or am I missing another "playing dumb" joke like saying Castlevania is not from Konami?

Pac Man made it's mark in the pre-NES era so for a while the most common home version were on Atari machines

Honestly, you find it happens with a lot of pre-NES games. I bet if you asked most people who made Space Invaders they'd say Atari.

openrob

You do know Nintendo co-owns the Pokémon Company, right?

Or have I been bamboozled?

I may be wrong but...

The Pokémon franchise is owned by Game Freak, Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. 1 third each.

Nintendo and Gamefreak jointly own The Pokemon Company.

Nintendo owns the rights to the characters.

I think...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I may be wrong but...

The Pokémon franchise is owned by Game Freak, Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. 1 third each.

Nintendo and Gamefreak jointly own The Pokemon Company.

Nintendo owns the rights to the characters.

I think...

Creatures also is part of TPC.

KtSlime

Pac Man made it's mark in the pre-NES era so for a while the most common home version were on Atari machines

Honestly, you find it happens with a lot of pre-NES games. I bet if you asked most people who made Space Invaders they'd say Atari.

No one ever thinks about the fact that Space Invaders, Darius, Arkanoid, and Bubble Bobble are all owned by Square-Enix.

D.Lo

No one ever thinks about the fact that Space Invaders, Darius, Arkanoid, and Bubble Bobble are all owned by Square-Enix.
Square-Enix themselves being a bastard merger company.

Could be worse I guess. Could be Alex Kidd and Sonic, owned by a pachinko company. Or Bomberman and Bonk, owned by a fitness club/slot machine company.

Top Bottom