• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii in 2009 - The official Thread! (wii's best year?)

jeremy1456

ZAK said:
Not to mention S&P, Monster Hunter, NMH, Crystal Bearers and... you know, et cetera. How about best year so far, though?

Edit: oh wait Crystal Bearers is this year

Yep, if it actually comes out this really will be the year of the Wii. Until next.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii Will Rock U said:

... really?

The article lists 17 games. Beatles Rock Band and DJ Hero are multiplatform and trivially better on other platforms. Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis are admittedly good annual sports titles. Wii Fit Plus is Wii Fit 1.1; I'd say even EA Sports Active would be a better title to list than WF+. Metroid Prime Trilogy, while cool and a good value, is three games we've already played. I'll bet dollars to donuts Crystal Bearers is not calendar 2009 in the US. Cave Story, while a great looking enhanced port, is free on the PC right now.

Which leaves us with two solid but not spectacular looking FPSes, a multiplatform remake of a survival horror game, an incredibly niche 2d beat-em-up that's going to have enormous GAF backlash, a spinoff rail-shooter, Tatsunoko, NSMB Wii, Wii Sports Resort, and Punch-Out.

Not that I'm not excited for a number of these titles, because I am, but that's pretty standard NintendoBlogz.com level fare and isn't exactly a wildly encouraging list.

CaVaYeRo

indeed, 2009 first half has been Wii's best first half with

madworld
little king's story
PES 2009 Wii
hotd overkill
deadly creatures
boom blox 2
another code R
punch-Out!!
grand slam tennis
klonoa
let's tap
kororinpa 2
icarian
swords & soldiers
pikmin 2 NPC / DK Jungle NPC

In Europe, Conduit and Tiger Woods are finally 2nd half games.

all 8+ games for me :D Oh, and they're all exclusives.

if anyone hasn't tried 4-5 games from that list, then he's missing a great, different gaming experience. Call them hardcore gamers! :lol

Volcynika

Dascu said:
Little King Story is better than every title on that list and you didn't mention it. Good job.

Oh, and what Stumpy said. The list is still fairly pathetic in certain aspects.

No LKS on that list?

Failure!

Dascu said:
Little King Story is better than every title on that list and you didn't mention it. Good job.

Oh, and what Stumpy said. The list is still fairly pathetic in certain aspects.
I'll have to add a Little King's Story and a Boy and his Blob section.

The remainder of games coming out in this year are standard fare or below-average efforts, to be honest. I did my best only to list the cream of the crop.

EDIT: A big section on LKS is now included. I seriously cannot believe I forgot that from the original list! :lol

[Nintex] said:
Oops too late

And yet, how is that post wrong? The lineup linked there does indeed have a non-2009 game, shittier versions of multi-platform games, remakes or ports of already available games, etc.

People would be better off highlighting the genuinely exciting titles available now or coming soon to Wii without trying to pad the lists out or claim that they're "so amazing" that "no one could argue" with them.

charlequin said:
People would be better off highlighting the genuinely exciting titles available now or coming soon to Wii without trying to pad the lists out or claim that they're "so amazing" that "no one could argue" with them.
Agreed. People were complaining how I didn't list all of titles coming out and frankly the select games I listed are hidden gems in a sea of shit.

That said, I did my best to only list AAA games in my article leaving out a lot of the stuff people are giving me flack for excluding.

topramen

Sorry to bump this thread, but I think its time we make one for 2010, the return of the big 3.

I would do it, but I'm a junior.

Just look at this list of games!

Metroid Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2
No More Heroes 2
Trauma Team
Endless Ocean 2
Sin and Punishment 2
Red Steel 2
The Grinder
Fragile
Monster Hunter Tri
Tales of Graces
Sky Crawlers
Epic Mickey
Another Code (lol)
Cosmic Walker
Dynamic Slash
Span Smasher
Arc Rise Fantasia
Monado, Beginning of the World
Trackmania Wii
Line Attack Heroes

and this is even before the octoberton

Not to mention the vaporwarish games
Factor 5's projects
RETRO MOTHERFUCKING STUDIOS
Pikmin 3
Zelda Wii
5th Cell's Wii Game
Kirby Wii
edit: theres also that rumored blizzard wii game which in all likelihood doesn't exist but a man can dream

ethelred

Guys, please. Just stop. You're sounding needier and more desperate than PS3 fans. Is this really what you want to become?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
topramen said:
piss off dude, this is a wii thread, its not list wars just a list of games wii owners can look forward too.
No, its pretty much list warz. I'm not sure how else one would classify making a list for 2010 composed of titles that may or may not come out that year (or even exist) as early as September 2009.

Fredescu

grandjedi6 said:
pretty much list warz.

2010.txt (try not to think too hard about it)

Multi
-----
Aliens Vs Predator
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Arcania: A Gothic Tale
Army of Two 2
Bioshock 2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Dante's Inferno
DC Universe Online
Deus Ex 3
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 14
Front Mission Evolved
Ghost Recon 4
Homefront
Just Cause 2
Mafia 2
Mass Effect 2
Max Payne 3
Need for Speed (Criterion Developed)
Nier
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Rage
Red Dead Redemption
Singularity
Splatterhouse
Split Second
Super Meat Boy
Supreme Commander 2
Syberia III
This is Vegas
The Agency
Two Worlds 2

---
Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Halo: Reach

PS3
---
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain
MAG
ModNation Racers
Quantum
The Last Guardian
White Knight Chronicals

Wii
---
Metroid: Other M
Red Steel 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment 2
The Grinder
Trauma Team

PC
--
Starcraft 2
APB
Command & Conquer 4
Elemental: War of Magic
Guild Wars 2
Lego Universe
Mytheon
Napoleon: Total War
Silent Hunter 5
xClude Scape
Jagged Alliance 3
Mount & Blade: Warband

DS
--
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Golden Sun
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Dementium II
TrackMania 2 DS
Okamiden

PSP
---
Saints Row PSP
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Resident Evil Portable

AniHawk

2010's going to be a great year for everything. Big Nintendo franchises (Metroid, Mario), big MS-exclusive franchises (Halo, Mass Effect), and big Sony games (Last Guardian, Heavy Rain). Then we're also getting great third party games like Bayonetta, and hopefully please god, Half-Life 2 Episode Three please please please.

2009 was good for the Wii though. If you're looking for reasons to own just one system, the Wii probably had the best, most varied lineup of exclusive titles all year. I think this has to do with the 360 having a slow software year (fighting and FPS genres excluded)- a lot of the big titles, multiplatform or otherwise were pushed back into 2010. The PS3 also had a good year and should finish similarly strong what with Trine and Ratchet & Clank still scheduled to hit.

It's been nice this whole year's been pretty slow across most systems. It's allowed me to catch up on my backlog and I haven't spent too much cash.

There's no denying the dearth of AAA 3rd party games, but the overall diversity of the line up is what I find appealing. The Wii has a lot of modest but legitimately interesting titles this year, which is a relief after last year's horrible 2nd half. Here's hoping 2010 is even better.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
There's no denying the dearth of AAA 3rd party games, but the overall diversity of the line up is what I find appealing. The Wii has a lot of modest but legitimately interesting titles this year, which is a relief after last year's horrible 2nd half. Here's hoping 2010 is even better.

I think WiiWare's improved greatly over last year if the games in the Euro schedule are on time and also hit the US this year. Last year was LostWinds, Sam & Max, Strong Bad, World of Goo and... LIT? This year there's Monkey Island, Swords & Soldiers, Bit.Trip, NyxQuest (which is better than anything that came out on the service in 2008), and possibly LostWinds 2, And Yet it Moves, the Magic Marker game that isn't the DS game, and Super Meat Boy among others I might have forgotten.

I don't see 2010 being much better than 2009 as far as the Wii goes, unless there are a ton of unannounced games waiting in the wings.

Outside of MadWorld for the last two years Marvelous, for my money, has had a hand in pretty much every compelling piece of third party software for the Wii. Once No More Heroes 2 is released I don't really know what other announced 3rd party Wii game there is that I'm looking forward to. That's not to say that there aren't any games I just haven't seen or read about many games that thrilled or excited me like the prospect of No More Heroes, Little King's Story, Muramasa: The Demon Blade or No More Heroes: Desperate Stuggle did/do.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
yeah 2010 sure does look nice

Fredescu said:
2010.txt (try not to think too hard about it)

PSP
---
Saints Row PSP
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Resident Evil Portable

wat

AniHawk said:
I think WiiWare's improved greatly over last year if the games in the Euro schedule are on time and also hit the US this year. Last year was LostWinds, Sam & Max, Strong Bad, World of Goo and... LIT? This year there's Monkey Island, Swords & Soldiers, Bit.Trip, NyxQuest (which is better than anything that came out on the service in 2008), and possibly LostWinds 2, And Yet it Moves, the Magic Marker game that isn't the DS game, and Super Meat Boy among others I might have forgotten.

I don't see 2010 being much better than 2009 as far as the Wii goes, unless there are a ton of unannounced games waiting in the wings.
For notable WiiWare games you forgot Cave Story and La Mulana. <3

As for next year, it's hard to call this early, but NMH2, S&P2, SMG2, and Other M all seem pretty compelling. I know you're not a fan of Red Steel 2, but they delayed it to make sure it's a more polished experience, so that might be another worth checking out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what crops up to fill the gaps and how the rest of the year pans out.

NimbusD

grandjedi6 said:
No, its pretty much list warz. I'm not sure how else one would classify making a list for 2010 composed of titles that may or may not come out that year (or even exist) as early as September 2009.

WTF, get out of this thread dude. People are jsut listing the fucking games they're excited for. This shit is why I rarely visit this forum anymore.

Davey Cakes

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Can't really agree more. And yeah, WiiWare's been stellar too. I'd actually say that 2008's second half wasn't as bad as people make it out to be because of WiiWare alone.

Did you know that there are still people saying that the Wii is crappy and has no games? It's mindboggling. I'm just about to give up.

I'd say that the "image" created for the Wii during its first year has hurt it tremendously in terms of the general gaming community to the point where it just can't come back, no matter how varied the library gets or no matter how many quality games come out for it. If you remember, the DS started slow and picked up tremendously, not just in its general library of games but also just in the eyes of gamers. That just can't happen with Wii. The damage has been done, sadly.

That said, I myself am a happy Wii owner and I've actually missed most of the games that people put on their Wii recommendation lists. I'm not the gamer I used to be, but even if I was I think the Wii would still have just too many worthwhile games to play. People just need to admit that the system has come into its own, and just because it's a different sort of console than its counterparts doesn't mean it's bad.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
For notable WiiWare games you forgot Cave Story and La Mulana. <3

As for next year, it's hard to call this early, but NMH2, S&P2, SMG2, and Other M all seem pretty compelling. I know you're not a fan of Red Steel 2, but they delayed it to make sure it's a more polished experience, so that might be another worth checking out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what crops up to fill the gaps and how the rest of the year pans out.

Yeah, I forgot stuff like Klonoa (which is incredible) was announced at the October conference. So we might get some more announcements still.

TreIII

AniHawk said:

Well, I think it would be safe to presume that the October conference (JP-only this year) would be a nice "put up or shut up" moment to tell us what we got to look forward to.

For example, there's still some games we haven't seen hide or hair of since last October conference, such as Sandlot's "Dynamic Zan/Slash". And Nintendo still swears up and down that Kirby Wii will FINALLY be released this year (again, at least in Japan).

But in any case, 2010 could stand to be a most interesting year, none the less.

Azure J

I'm praying for more stealth awesome games personally. Lately I find myself having more fun with the overlooked or underhyped games that come out for Wii, and I realize that maybe looking out for those more prominently would lead to some great little fun here and there.

This and more info on Dynamic Slash would certainly make me more than content for a while.

EDIT: GET OUTTA MAH HEAD TRE! :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
kind of dissapointed in wii to be honest

the support it'd getting arent much better than xbox/gamecube which is not what id expect from the market leader and companion to the ds. big companies like activision and EA are an absolute joke on the system with their streams of low budget, outsourced, dumbed-down shit

i might get rif of mine soon. pc and handhelds are all im playing right now

Sipowicz said:

the support it'd getting arent much better than xbox/gamecube which is not what id expect from the market leader and companion to the ds. big companies like activision and EA are an absolute joke on the system with their streams of low budget, outsourced, dumbed-down shit

How much research have you actually done? Wii easily has the most diverse list of great games that appeal to a wide range of people out of all the consoles.

I personally don't understand how anyone that doesn't play only shooters can be disappointed with the Wii. I have 30 games for it, not 1 of which is shovelware. The whole "Wii has no games" thing should've ended by the beginning of this year.

cosmicblizzard said:
How much research have you actually done? Wii easily has the most diverse list of great games that appeal to a wide range of people out of all the consoles.

I personally don't understand how anyone that doesn't play only shooters can be disappointed with the Wii. I have 30 games for it, not 1 of which is shovelware. The whole "Wii has no games" thing should've ended by the beginning of this year.

The problem is, few people will play a game unless it comes from Square or EA or Capcom, which is a shame, since they miss out on hundreds of excellent games.

Anyway, Metroid Other M, Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2....
UGH! 2010 can't get here soon enough!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
NimbusD said:
WTF, get out of this thread dude. People are jsut listing the fucking games they're excited for. This shit is why I rarely visit this forum anymore.
You're sure defensive for somebody who doesn't read other's posts.

Sipowicz

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

keyword consoles, PC and handhelds have a far greater range of stuff. diversity doesnt mean shit though when the games cominf out are outsourced lightgun games, kart racers and the like

most dissapointing system ive ever owned

Sipowicz said:
keyword consoles, PC and handhelds have a far greater range of stuff. diversity doesnt mean shit though when the games cominf out are outsourced lightgun games, kart racers and the like

most dissapointing system ive ever owned

I'm not gonna bring up a list in a list wars thread, but if you can't find 1 or 2 great games that came out this year, you either aren't looking hard enough or have very limited tastes (nothing wrong with that, just saying).

Little King's Story alone makes this year worth it. Stuff like Madworld and Muramasa is just icing on the cake.

Sipowicz said:

If selling your wii would stop you from spreading unsubstantiated FUD about games like DS: Extraction then please by all means.

Sipowicz

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I'm not gonna bring up a list in a list wars thread, but if you can't find 1 or 2 great games that came out this year, you either aren't looking hard enough or have very limited tastes (nothing wrong with that, just saying).

Little King's Story alone makes this year worth it. Stuff like Madworld and Muramasa is just icing on the cake.

thats the difference between me and you, i want more than "1 or 2 great games" a year and the wii completely fails to deliver in that regard. im looking forwards to some of the cool looking niche stuff like spyborgs, boy and and his blob etc

im less looking forward to low budget, outsourced, dumbed-down shit like dead space extraction. especially when we're 3 years into this gen and the idiots at EA seem to think it qualifies as decent support

freddy

Banned
Why are you guys in here downplaying a list of games some kid is excited for in a thread made to list games people are excited for? Seriously, I know Wii fans can be annoying at times but take a good look at yourselves.

freddy said:
Why are you guys in here downplaying a list of games some kid is excited for in a thread made to list games people are excited for? Seriously, I know Wii fans can be annoying at times but take a good look at yourselves.

Er, um, what?
Why would Wii fans be downplaying a list of Wii games?

Top Bottom