• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most important Rock album of the last decade?

I barely listen to rock but I'll say Sam's Town.

Off by a year. If the decade timeframe was shifted a few years, I'd probably this, Give Up by Postal Service, and Plans by Deathcab for Cutie. Not a big fan of any of those, but their influence through to ~2011 is pretty evident.

Kuro

a1655586077_10.jpg

you guys should listen to the most lamentable tragedy, the best concept album of the past ten years.

actually you have to listen to it a lot.

Dead fucking serious here:

Nonagon Infinity

If you have not listened to it, do it.
It's great. Their new album is great too. But it really isn't anything groundbreaking. They have a very distinctive style of ostinato based meandering, but it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. It's mostly that their stuff is so weird.

marrec

Banned
Sleater Kinney's No Cities to Love

mm6TYcO.jpg

Legit made me wonder why anyone else made Rock Music because they perfected it.

The best album from one of the best Rock groups of all time.

psyfi

Banned
She might not be the exact right person to credit, but the wave of women rock artists like Angel Olsen has been immense and amazing in recent years. So many quality bands. Best Coast, Mitski, Waxahatchee, Girl Pool, The Courtneys. It's seriously a great time for women in rock.

Zach

you guys should listen to the most lamentable tragedy, the best concept album of the past ten years.

actually you have to listen to it a lot.

I have, jerk. God!

Sleater Kinney's No Cities to Love

mm6TYcO.jpg

Legit made me wonder why anyone else made Rock Music because they perfected it.

The best album from one of the best Rock groups of all time.

I actually haven't listened to this yet. Maybe tomorrow. I like Sleater-Kinney well enough.

marrec

Banned
I actually haven't listened to this yet. Maybe tomorrow. I like Sleater-Kinney well enough.

I think what makes it even more astonishing and important is the hiatus between this and The Woods. The band was effectively dead for 11 years and then they come back and make something that puts everything else to shame.

Its definitely still sending ripples through the genre today.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Black Keys - El Camino

Seriously the only rock band to spawn two hit singles that was received postively by the general public.

Metalmarc

AC/DC Black Ice (2008)

The last time Malcolm Young was on a record, the last by the Back in Black era lineup also & the last AC-DC album that charted high everywhere worldwide.

I had actually forgot that they put out another studio record after this one, and it will probably still will be remembered 10, hell even 20 or more years from now.

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (2012) the live album from Led Zeppelins 2007 O2 Arena Reunion gig, what can I say? One it's Friggin Led Zeppelin, Two it is probably the last time you will ever see them together and regardless what you think of the quality of the gig, you know the sounds too heavy or muddy, Roberts Voice not quite being there for some songs, it is a Important album because it is probably the last ever by Zeppelin

marrec

Banned
is it seriously possible that is this it qualifies?

I definitely think Is This It was extremely important.......

But it doesn't qualify.

I don't see how Arctic Monkeys can be more important when the only reason they existed was released in 2001.

Also when the best Arctic Monkey's cd was released in the wave of British guitar rock invasion that The Stroke started.

man, really hard to think of actual seminal groundbreaking rock albums over the past decade.

i'll go with...

Battlesmirrored.png

battles - mirrored.

sounded like it came from decades in the future when it came out, still does. tons of innovative and influential ideas about how to weave technology into rock music.

also sick drumming from john stanier.

Is he writing the next one? I didn't care for Daisy as much since he didn't write the lyrics.

/Lyrics whore

Supposedly it was originally going to be released in 2016. Then they announced they wouldn't make it in time because the tracks weren't polished enough. But there haven't been any updates this year yet.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm pretty sure I'll still be listening to Speedy Ortiz Major Arcana in ten years, but I dunno how important that is

homepage_large.6d3a86cc.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
None of the albums listed in this thread seem very important other than In Rainbows, and that was only important for the distribution method.

Media

he still wrote a lot of the lyrics on Daisy, didn't he? in any event, mene and I am a nightmare are such good songs.

Naw he let one of the other members write all the lyrics for Dasiy. And it was still a great album, but I was used to the amazing lyrics Jesse puts out so I was a bit a disappointed. As far as I recall anyhow

I know Vinny wrote handcuffs and that was weird but I guess I thought jesse wrote at least gasoline, bought a bride, and noro.

actually, Daisy fucking owned looking back on it.

EDIT damn old just changed the game, but idk if it counts??

zulux21

for me it would likely be

Night visions by Imagine Dragons.

First new rock band I fell in love with right away after hearing their first album in a long time.

zulux21

imagine dragons huh

yup, didn't figure it would be a very popular one, but my instant connection to them was very similar to my instant connection I had with linkin park.

best part much like linkin park I ended up randomly discovering them before they got really popular and before I started hearing them on the radio.

to be fair there are likely other great rock albums that I could list, but given I have spent a good chunk of the last 36 hours listening to linkin park music, it's not surprising my mind went straight to imagine dragons.

gabbo

man, really hard to think of actual seminal groundbreaking rock albums over the past decade.

i'll go with...

Battlesmirrored.png

battles - mirrored.

sounded like it came from decades in the future when it came out, still does. tons of innovative and influential ideas about how to weave technology into rock music.

I want to say this, if only because it opened my eyes to the idea of Math Rock and it probably got more playtime than any record I've listened to in the last decade.

That said, probably:
Arcade Fire - Suburbs
Arcade_Fire_-_The_Suburbs.jpg

This basically came from nowhere (in a manner of speaking) and just blew up

It's not remotely important but "On the Impossible Past" by the Menzingers is easily one of the best punk-ish albums of the last decade so it fucking should be important

Not

Banned

i'll go with...

Battlesmirrored.png

battles - mirrored.

I just played this, got 3 tracks in and my wife's like "that's really annoying, can you turn it off"

Honestly tho I can't blame all these scattershot answers, I don't think there's really been an album this decade that has clearly influenced a wave of music on the level of something like "Is This It" and idk if there ever will be again.

I think music is way too fragmented now for something like that to ever take hold. So many large bands today are trying to do things in multiple genres outside of plain old rock and the few that are really big like Tame Impala, Radiohead, QOTSA, Arcade Fire etc, are so singular that no one even seems to be trying to copy them.

I'll add LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening to the list of not-really-influential-but-big albums that we have so far tho.

blessed be the lost at sea, the rest in peace/was what they conceived
though I have messed up, no distress/I fall asleep holding your hand

BREAK THE INTERNET YOU IDIOTS

if we will it, it might happen. and the wrens.

Top Bottom