• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!

RoylAsult

so if you lose on the first mission in each chapter its a different ending and have to start over? im glad i learned my lesson when i lost on ch 2 and just created a different file instead of overwriting my main one so i didnt have to start over. Its kinda annoying but whatever. i struggled beating the first mission in chapter 2 but i finally did it :)

i feel like i should be replaying missions or something to get my characters better or something. My highest one is around lvl 9... is that good? idk lol

B.K.

so if you lose on the first mission in each chapter its a different ending and have to start over?

No. The game has multiple endings. It's not just on the first mission of a chapter. Disgaea games always have certain battles that give you a different ending if you lose.

RoylAsult

No. The game has multiple endings. It's not just on the first mission of a chapter. Disgaea games always have certain battles that give you a different ending if you lose.

is it beneficial if you just restart the game with better characters or if you did what i did and just save it on a different file and continue with what you were doing before?

Eusis

No Disgaea game has been able to stand up to the first game. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke. 2 and 3 don't come close to it.
Disgaea 1 was a breath of fresh air to a lot of people then for its whimsical style and relatively fast action in contrast to many more slower TRPGs. That novelty can die just as fast though, and it doesn't help that newer Disgaeas seem more mired in generic anime-style humor. That, and 2 straight up ignored part of what made Disgaea appealing (the "evil" protagonist) which 3 and 4 seemed to have addressed better.

Item World stuff.

Is going through a Legendary item and hoping you get lucky still the only way to get Legendary Rank 39 weapons?

I spent a good part of earlier today trying to find those damn pirates but finally it happened lol. Thank god for that club you unlock afterwards!

By doing the side stories, you can get a Trapezohedron, which is a rank 40 equipment. As you can see in the picture below, I stocked up on a few, haha:

Disgaea3AbsenceofDetention_1-1.jpg

That was the only rank 40 piece of equipment I've seen during those side stories. You can get rank 39/40 weapons/equipment when you unlock the Land of Carnage. I'm in the process of doing that but it involves encountering these damn pirates again lol. You should be able to get those weapons/equipment in the item worlds as well. Someone else can go deeper into that. I'm still learning things myself.

Yes, there is a TON of crap to do/unlock. I've just hit the 72 hour mark on the game and the game is still fun as it was when I first started.

B.K.

So Trapezohedron is the best piece of armor this time? Is there a Hyperdrive in the game? Loved the 99 MV stat that it gave in Disgaea 1.

scy

is it beneficial if you just restart the game with better characters or if you did what i did and just save it on a different file and continue with what you were doing before?

There's no reason to not get the Bad Ending, really. It's nothing bad.

No Disgaea game has been able to stand up to the first game. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke. 2 and 3 don't come close to it.

I guess I'm one of the few that can't stand basically any part of the original Disgaea anymore. It's mechanically dated and fundamentally flawed in a lot of areas and I still think it has one of the worst stories of the series.

Of course, I'm one of the crazies that actually liked Disgaea 2's story.

are certain weapon levels harder then others, how do you tell? im going to guess by how rare they are?

Leveling any item is the exact same (well, it's random but ... you know what I mean). The exception being that "perfecting" an item is a bit different than just leveling an item but Disgaea 3 Vita's perfect items is pretty easy.

So Trapezohedron is the best piece of armor this time? Is there a Hyperdrive in the game? Loved the 99 MV stat that it gave in Disgaea 1.

Traps are the best Emblem so they tend to get used the most due to their +All Stat boost. Since this game allows you to max out any item (though, anything with a stat of 0 takes way too much effort), I think the R40 Armor is probably better since it has +Move/Jump built-in (+1 Move, +18 Jump).

And Hyperdrive hasn't been around for awhile, though you can get enough Move to basically not care.

scy

so you play the items levels to make the items better?

sorry if im dumb lol

Basically. Entering an item's Item World is just some random levels to go through. Either kill all the enemies or just rush to the gate as the stat gain in the end is the same. Besides that, there's an Item Boss every 10 Floors (Item Generals on Floors 10, 20, 40, 50, 70, 80; Item Kings on Floors 30, 60, 90; Item God on Floor 100) that give a bonus multiplier to the item and even grant +Levels to the item you're in for this game.

It's not that complicated really. Just something you need to try to get a feel for yourself.

RoylAsult

Yes. When you go into the Item World, the item becomes more powerful as you go down more levels.

now its starting to make more sense

now what about special attacks, how come those girls that you face have insane special attacks but if i get to 80-100 per attack its amazing. granted my highest lvl is at 14

B.K.

Since this game allows you to max out any item (though, anything with a stat of 0 takes way too much effort)

I'm going to have to read some faqs about how to max items. I need to read one anyway to learn about all the post game stuff. I didn't bother with post game in Disgaea 2. I just wanted that game over with. They've really added a lot of content to the game since Disgaea 1.

scy

now its starting to make more sense

now what about special attacks, how come those girls that you face have insane special attacks but if i get to 80-100 per attack its amazing. granted my highest lvl is at 14

You buy Special Attacks with Mana from the Evility Vendor (the Ninja in the base). You'll also get a few Unique specials (e.g., unique to that character, this applies to generics too!) just by raising your levels.

I'm going to have to read some faqs about how to max items. I need to read one anyway to learn about all the post game stuff. I didn't bother with post game in Disgaea 2. I just wanted that game over with. They've really added a lot of content to the game since Disgaea 1.

Well, the Item Maxing guides for Disgaea 3 aren't actually relevant for Disgaea 3 Vita. D3V introduced +Item Levels on Item Boss kills which does two things:

1) Makes reaching Level 200 for items really, really easy.
2) Allows Item Boss kills to count without clearing/skipping a floor.

What this basically means is that all you really need to do to max an item is reach Floor 100, kill the Item God, Gency out, kill the Item God, Gency out, kill the Item God, Gency out, and repeat until your each the Item stat cap (1,433,519 for this game assuming no +Stat Item Bills; 1,576,850, 1,720,182, or 1,863,514 assuming 1, 2, or 3 +Stat Bills passed, though you probably won't actually need them to reach the character stat cap).

Of course, this does take a lot of Gency's (~67 to get a Trapezohedron to that stat cap) but we're also talking about getting around five times the stats of a normal "maxed out" Trapezohedron so eh ... kind of worth it in the end.

Edit: Just to expand, this only works on items that actually have a base stat (e.g., something non-zero). If the base stat is zero, you need to fill the item with Innocents (say the item has ATK 0, you'll fill it with 8 Gladiators) and then kill the Item God. A lot. And by a lot, I mean a whole fucking lot. It takes ~1389 Item God kills to take a base stat of 0 to the stat cap ... which, really, isn't worth the effort at all.

ZeroAKA

I really wish Doublejump/Onionbat's updated strategy guide were released already. It's a shame that it'll only be available as an eBook though.

Eusis

I really wish Doublejump/Onionbat's updated strategy guide were released already. It's a shame that it'll only be available as an eBook though.
Better than Brady again by most accounts. The guide shouldn't be more useful for the SEQUEL than the proper sequel guide.

Kazerei

Banned
Maaan, I've barely even touched the post-game. So far I've put 40 hours into just collecting the endings. 6 down, 4 to go.

scy

D4's guide was pretty hilariously bad. Kind of wish I bought it to just facepalm at it.

To be fair, DoubleJump's isn't infallible either but those were like ... misplaced parenthesis in formulas kind of things (though, I don't think the D1 guide had many of them until the later revision with JJ's, bend's, and my formulas in it?).

I wonder if they solved the new variable in the Item growth formula. I haven't had the time to sit down and work on it and it's been kind of bugging me.

For what it's worth, I put more than a sane amount of time into Disgaea as a whole so I don't really mind answering anything that comes up. Just something about the math of Disgaea that keeps me going, I guess.

B.K.

You can increase a characters base stats in Class World, right? Do the Class World bonuses to starts and the parameters you're increasing carry over with transmigrations?

scy

You can increase a characters base stats in Class World, right? Do the Class World bonuses to starts and the parameters you're increasing carry over with transmigrations?

Class World increases their Aptitudes, not their stats. You get the stat bonuses via reincarnation.

But, yes, Class World Aptitude boosts are permanent.

B.K.

Class World increases their Aptitudes, not their stats. You get the stat bonuses via reincarnation.

Ok. I thought one faqs said that you kill dropouts, or whatever they're called, in Class World and it increased a character's stats.

billsmugs

Just to put my opinion in to the "which is the best Disgaea" debate, the story and characters in the first were easily the best, but I think the extra content, increased depth and numerous tweaks to mechanics (like the Classroom system as opposed to the master-apprentice system in D1) make this the best of the three I've played.

Does Disgaea 4 have something like the Classroom (and, more importantly, the "Honour Students," "Corner Research" and "Robber's Club" groups)? It's great to be able to power level Mao and my thief on stage 7-3 and be able to slowly train a bunch of my other guys at the same time, it really takes the annoying effort out of reincarnating.

Been playing for five hours or so.

For the moment I find the game overwhelming. There's too much stuff to do. I'm level 11 with Mao and feel like I've done nothing.

I'm used to SRPGs and Megatens, but this game is somehow frustrating me.

RoylAsult

Been playing for five hours or so.

For the moment I find the game overwhelming. There's too much stuff to do. I'm level 11 with Mao and feel like I've done nothing.

I'm used to SRPGs and Megatens, but this game is somehow frustrating me.

i kinda know what you mean, i just wish they laid certain things out better and had a little more explanation to what exactly it is and what it does

scy

Ok. I thought one faqs said that you kill dropouts, or whatever they're called, in Class World and it increased a character's stats.

Well, killing them raises your Aptitudes (+1% to a random stat per Dropout killed) and higher aptitudes do mean higher stat gain from your equipment.

Does Disgaea 4 have something like the Classroom (and, more importantly, the "Honour Students," "Corner Research" and "Robber's Club" groups)? It's great to be able to power level Mao and my thief on stage 7-3 and be able to slowly train a bunch of my other guys at the same time, it really takes the annoying effort out of reincarnating.

D4 uses a "map" that's basically just the classroom but expands as you clear more story areas rather than with "bigger classroom" bills. It uses Evil Symbols instead of Clubs, however. Those are objects you place on the map that have a certain area of effect. Otherwise, they're basically Clubs just laid out differently. And, yes, there's Aura Pyramid and Training Grounds for Mana and EXP sharing. On top of that, you can be in multiple Evil Symbols at once so you can be in both of those and get EXP and Mana at the same time.

billsmugs

D4 uses a "map" that's basically just the classroom but expands as you clear more story areas rather than with "bigger classroom" bills. It uses Evil Symbols instead of Clubs, however. Those are objects you place on the map that have a certain area of effect. Otherwise, they're basically Clubs just laid out differently. And, yes, there's Aura Pyramid and Training Grounds for Mana and EXP sharing. On top of that, you can be in multiple Evil Symbols at once so you can be in both of those and get EXP and Mana at the same time.

That sounds even better! Thanks for the info, hopefully there will be a Disgaea 4 Vita version (I'm pretty much assuming there will be). It'll be nice to see those HD sprites on the Vita screen too.

i kinda know what you mean, i just wish they laid certain things out better and had a little more explanation to what exactly it is and what it does

Now I'm in the 3rd chapter and I ave understood the item world and classroom basics, but for example, I don't why the Reincarnation is useful.

Kazerei

Banned
Now I'm in the 3rd chapter and I ave understood the item world and classroom basics, but for example, I don't why the Reincarnation is useful.

Characters start back at level 1 with higher base stats than before, so their stats will grow even higher as they level up. Generic characters can also switch classes, allowing them to learn a variety of skills and evilities.

Characters start back at level 1 with higher base stats than before, so their stats will grow even higher as they level up. Generic characters can also switch classes, allowing them to learn a variety of skills and evilities.

So, if for example I restart my Lvl 17 Mao he will grow up stronger... I see.

Kazerei

Banned
So, if for example I restart my Lvl 17 Mao he will grow up stronger... I see.

At level 17 it will hardly make a difference, you'll probably get just 1 or 2 bonus points.

By the way, you should always try to reincarnate as a genius. It's absolutely worth the extra mana, and it's not that hard to grind later in the game.

jiggles

Banned
Are Evilities and Reincarnation two features that were introduced in the third game?

I only ask because they bear a striking resemblance to Perks and Prestige in Call of Duty, and I was wondering who did it first.

At level 17 it will hardly make a difference, you'll probably get just 1 or 2 bonus points.

By the way, you should always try to reincarnate as a genius. It's absolutely worth the extra mana, and it's not that hard to grind later in the game.

I'm not gonna reincarnate for the moment, but is good to know something about the mechanics xD

Verelios

I've just been doing IW runs and trying to get a set of R40 items. God damn, is it taking long. I have my thief as my main MV unit and I really do not want a mothman, so what's the best equipment for MV?

I'm in post game and finished up Rasberryl mode, if that makes any difference.

Kazerei

Banned
Are Evilities and Reincarnation two features that were introduced in the third game?

I only ask because they bear a striking resemblance to Perks and Prestige in Call of Duty, and I was wondering who did it first.

Reincarnation was called "transmigration" in the first Disgaea. And evilities are sort of like passive skills, I think plenty of past RPGs have featured something like that.

Meier

I loved the original and played a bit of 2 but haven't been back to the series since.. planning on waiting for the PSV version of 4 most likely. I find the cost of $40 on this quite prohibitive though. If it were $20, I'd be all over it. I know it's jampacked with content, but I just can't see myself putting down my $20 VC2 for it personally.

scy

I'm not gonna reincarnate for the moment, but is good to know something about the mechanics xD

To go a little more in-depth on how reincarnation works:

When you reincarnate, the game does two things:

1) Checks your current naked stats (e.g., no equipment, no club bonuses, no buffs, etc.).
2) Checks your Stored Levels (levels lost from Reincarnation) prior to reincarnating; that is, your current level does not count towards this reincarnation.

The game then uses those to calculate two bonuses:

1) Your stats at the time of reincarnation are used to determine the size of your Yellow Bars. These points are not allocatable and are capped at +40 per stat.

2) Your Stored Levels will determine the amount of bonus points you are given. You are free to allocate these however you want, though people generally recommend just pumping one stat.

Why these matter is due to how Disgaea does stat growth: It's completely based on your Level 1 stats. Raising them via reincarnation means that every level gain is worth more.

That said, you can never screw up a character so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only real annoying part of it is the whole "releveling from Level 1" bit. So when you feel comfortable with releveling a character (and have the Mana to afford a Genius reincarnation), I'd say to just try it out to get a feel for how the system works.

I've just been doing IW runs and trying to get a set of R40 items. God damn, is it taking long. I have my thief as my main MV unit and I really do not want a mothman, so what's the best equipment for MV?

I'm in post game and finished up Rasberryl mode, if that makes any difference.

If you want some +Stats out of it, just use whatever Emblem you have a lot of and give it three +Movement bills. Do the same for a weapon and you can get +12 Movement out of the deal. Alternatively, do the same for a Barefoot X and get +6 Movement (+3 Base, +3 from Bills) each, though you won't have much in terms of stats out of this (well, besides a lot of SPD). But, hey, +18 Movement from your Armor slots!

Also, you can use a Masked Hero instead of a Mothman unit. Same Flying property and even has a +Movement Evility.

matmanx1

I feel pretty silly but I just discovered last night that special moves could be combined. Completely by accident I had my Warrior use his first Axe ability (don't remember the name, sorry) while I had Mao standing behind him keyed up to use Blast Finger on the same target. I did a double take as they combined to do some crazy move that did over 500 damage to a boss that had just over 700hps.

Right after that my Cleric combined Twirly Shot (bow) with my Thief's Gunman Spirit (gun) to do something equally crazy against the same target. It was ludicrous and hilarious and completely unexpected and now I'm wonder what else can be combined like that.

I've purposely stayed away from gamefaqs so far as I know the amount of information on this game would completely bog me down and for my first story run through I'd like to discover as much on my own as possible before diving into an exhaustive faq. That's my goal anyway. My curiosity may get the better of me before the end.

matmanx1

Jesus I forgot I placed this game along with Meruru with NISA, and they don't ship separately, goddamit.

Oh that sucks! Meruru is late May, right? I bet if you called or emailed them they would fix that for you. They've always been really good about responding to any requests or order changes I had for them. The Disgaea 3 themed cleaning cloth is quite pretty and a unique bonus so I hope you still get yours.

so this will turn red yellow and then this green will turn the yellows and old reds that will now be yellow green then theyll turn blue and destroy this which if im right will nullify everything
exploding_head_.jpg

got this yesterday and spent all day playing and got nowhere it seems but loving it thus far...hoping to be at post by tomorrow or day after

dc89

Might pick this up, been interested in this series for some time but never got round to playing it.
when it says insane level caps, what are we talking?

Top Bottom