• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

bryehn

I picked up the trilogy package on 360, nice DVD-style box. I can't imagine too many people were clamouring for this in the fist place. Most people will have already played the game elsewhere that wanted to. Unless the Wii U is their only console.

Still, no excuse to not have this up to par. I'll probably still continue to do my multi-plat gaming on the 360, unless one of the others is the lead platform.

Sometimes you go so fast it triggers severe pop-in or you even end up driving in empty space. Also occasionally freezes up when trying to access Easydrive then the pause menu.
Not sure if the digital version is more stable, though.
Oh right. I have the pop in when i go real fast.
Not sure if it's Criterion doing the port, can't say anything else, sorry :)
Sooo... What exactly was your point?

dEvAnGeL

Wii U games will take time to look as good or a little better then current gen platforms, just remember how bad the first games of this gen looked like compared to the new ones, the problem for nintendo is that the new consoles are coming out soon so the ports they would get if any at all would be of very low quality considering companies would probably focus their efforts on to next gen systems, this will be the Wii all over again, crappy shovelware and just the first party titles would be worth it

radcliff

Then they make an inferior port on Wii U-- and judging by their milking tactics, that trilogy set may yet come out on Wii U. They'll release some bullshit press statement saying "oh sales for ME3 Wii U proved that the Wii U console is a good home for our Mass Effect titles, so here's the Mass Effect Trilogy!" effectively fucking over everyone who hopefully does not buy ME3 on Wii U.

And they will announce Mass Effect Trilogy for Wii U at the same time they announce Mass Effect 4 for every other (non-Nintendo) system.

Eh, I was going to get this, but not anymore.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I thought this version was made by an external company, so why all the EA hate?

Or are people saying "Fuck EA" for approving a port that wasn't at least running as good as the 360 version?

Anyway, this prove yet again that Mass Effect is best played on PC for dat 60 FPS and 1080p. :p (yeah yeah i know, keyboard/mouse only)

Ein Bear

The saddest thing about this is is that it's such a missed opportunity.

They could have released the full Mass Effect Trilogy in a set, threw all the DLC in and taken advantage of the Wii U's extra power to smooth out the jank from the PS360 release. Add the cool pad stuff (which to be fair, still sounds pretty cool in this crap port of ME3) and you'd be looking at the definitive version of the trilogy, and one of the stars of the launch lineup.

It's just such a shame.

They could have released the full Mass Effect Trilogy in a set, threw all the DLC in and taken advantage of the Wii U's extra power to smooth out the jank from the PS360 release. Add the cool pad stuff (which to be fair, still sounds pretty cool in this crap port of ME3) and you'd be looking at the definitive version of the trilogy, and the star of the launch lineup.

It's just such a shame.

This. That would have been so definitive and cool to own.

This really sucks. My kid brother's never played this series, and I was going to get him this for Christmas. He's getting a Wii U and would be totally into this game.

I'd hold out hope for a patch, but EA are soulless fuck witholders.

Bisnic

They could have released the full Mass Effect Trilogy in a set, threw all the DLC in and taken advantage of the Wii U's extra power to smooth out the jank from the PS360 release. Add the cool pad stuff (which to be fair, still sounds pretty cool in this crap port of ME3) and you'd be looking at the definitive version of the trilogy, and one of the stars of the launch lineup.

It's just such a shame.

That was too obvious of a decision to do, so of course they wouldn't do it. I still shake my EA at their Trilogy PR saying "This package is the best deal for newcomers to the franchise."

Yeah, it's the best deal for sure, but fuck the Wii U that had the greatest potential of newcomers.

lednerg

So it turns out that learning a new system and porting games to it in under a year isn't exactly the plug-and-play endeavor some were thinking. Shocking.

I am not surprised. I expect to see a plethora of lazy or quickie ports on the Wii. How difficult is the architecture for the Wii U? Easier than PS3, but harder than X360 maybe? First NG3 with it questionable graphics and still occasionally stuttering framerate and now ME3. Didn't they also say Assassin's Creed 3 has issues on Wii U? Will the PS3 will now have a little buddy to share the misery of receiving crappy multiplatform ports? Only time will tell.

Durante

ITT: "Devs should have new systems mastered by launch day."
No. More like "It should not be necessary to master a next-gen system to successfully port previous-gen games to it."

A different question: do people expect the PS4/720 versions of cross-generational titles to be inferior to their PS3/360 counterparts because developers first have to master the new systems?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm genuinely surprised to read that.

UE3 is pretty scalable and should have benefited immediately from a more powerful GPU and CPU combo. That's not a good sign.

I wonder how Batman turned out which also uses UE3? What about Assassin's Creed 3 and BLOPS2?

ITT: "Devs should have new systems mastered by launch day."
As Durante stated, the developer should not have to "master" the hardware in order to port a game designed for older hardware running on a very mature engine.

Ooh, is it 60FPS on Wii U?????
I highly doubt it as the PC version already struggles to hold 60 fps on a high-end PC.

CronoShot

Despite lol EA, it is a bit concerning to me that Mass Effect 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 supposedly look and perform worse on Wii U. Ninja Gaiden at least has something of an excuse with dismemberment, but it's still strange.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No. More like "It should not be necessary to master a next-gen system to successfully port previous-gen games to it."

A different question: do people expect the PS4/720 versions of cross-generational titles to be inferior to their PS3/360 counterparts because developers first have to master the new systems?

The more I think about it the more right you seem to be, it's not like the Gamecube had any issues whatsoever running PS2 ports, they were pretty spot on. (Asides from FMVs, damn you disc capacity)

Though in terms of "mastering" a system, if you compare the Rogue Squadron games to a lot of other games on the system, I personally think it's hard to think they're from the same console.

lednerg

They will have had at least an extra year or so to learn those systems. Also, final Wii U dev kits didn't come out until just before E3 2012.

Eusis

The article in the OP only mentions the 360 version... The Wii u port can't honestly run worse than the awful PS3 one can it? I mean there's lazy and then there's lazy.
Given how much is compared to the PS3 version? I almost wonder if they worked from THAT version, perhaps because it was already on blu-ray. Which actually gives some optimism for the future if being able to work from the 360/PC versions instead would enable a better port, albeit more time consuming.

I wonder if an alternative to this OR getting Trilogy out would be to get each of the games done and released through DD, then compile when they're all done? Work from ME1, get to ME3, and so you get money from people who want to be early adopters (and give some early incentive for an external HDD) and get the time to do them each justice.
Yup, this is just as the Giant Bomb guys said. Something must have gone down between EA and Nintendo.
Admittedly I wonder if to an extent this is just standard operating procedure: force some stuff out ASAP easily on new hardware, save the real work for at least a year in.

Yup, this is just as the Giant Bomb guys said. Something must have gone down between EA and Nintendo.

Please can we stop this shit. There's absolutely no evidence of this. It's just EA looking for a dirty launch day cash-in. If this 'EA are punishing Nintendo' theory had any truth to it, they wouldn't be releasing anything on it... ... ... would they!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The more I think about it the more right you seem to be, it's not like the Gamecube had any issues whatsoever running PS2 ports, they were pretty spot on. (Asides from FMVs, damn you disc capacity)

Though in terms of "mastering" a system, if you compare the Rogue Squadron games to a lot of other games on the system, I personally think it's hard to think they're from the same console.
In general, no, the Gamecube had no problems with PS2 ports (though there were some cases where PS2 engines didn't work well on Gamecube, such as The Twin Snakes incident).

The Gamecube was of the same generation as PS2, however, while the WiiU is being released many years after XBOX360 and PS3.

I'm genuinely surprised to read that.

UE3 is pretty scalable and should have benefited immediately from a more powerful GPU and CPU combo. That's not a good sign.

I wonder how Batman turned out which also uses UE3? What about Assassin's Creed 3 and BLOPS2?

there's going to be some fun Digital Foundry articles popping up really soon, I don't doubt. my gut feeling is that of all these multiplats, that AC3 is likely to be the best, given Ubi's wider support for the Wii U. I'm also guessing BLOPS2 is going to turn out nicely, as that's generally a game where the issues it runs into on consoles are fill rate dependent and the Wii U should struggle less there.

the 'seems' in the article gives me some remaining optimism for Mass Effect 3. the framerate 'seems' choppier. the animation 'seems' rougher. I'm not familiar with these articles on 1up and how much nitty gritty technical analysis they do to back up such statements, so I'm going to wait for confirmation from either Digital Foundry or someone like yourself.

I really hope that comparison isn't being made from memory.

I mean, I won't be surprised if ME3 has turned out technically inferior either... We'll find out if that's part of a wider problem, or if it's a bad port, as we get a better idea of how the other ports have turned out.

I know Batman had some early texture streaming issues, but I believe those were resolved. I've heard nothing on performance though. I do know in previous DF analysis on screens and trailers that it's doing some things better (like the cutscenes that were real time on PC but not consoles seemed to be real time on Wii U, lighting seemed better, AA seemed better on sub pixel elements) and some things seemed worse (LOD wasn't as good in distant objects). how much that might have changed, we can only guess.

Either way, I'm really eagerly awaiting those digital foundry nit picking articles.

Please can we stop this shit. There's absolutely no evidence of this. It's just EA looking for a dirty launch day cash-in. If this 'EA are punishing Nintendo' theory had any truth to it, they wouldn't be releasing anything on it... ... ... would they!

Unless they had to respect contracts preceding the thing. And yes, there is evidence to support this shit: the "unprecedented support" Riccitiello was talking about when Iwata brought him on stage at last year's E3 is nowhere to be found. "They wouldn't be releasing anything on it", yeah, excactly. Have you taken a look at the number of games EA are putting out for the thing ? Write me a list and see if it justifies the unprecedented support EA was suppose to give Nintendo.

Stoof

And then when ME3 fails to sell it will make EA think, "Oh hey, we shouldn't put any other 'big' games on here!" -_-

Effect

If it's a technical mess, it's probably being farmed out as is standard practice with EA and their ports that they don't give a shit about. lol

I could be wrong with my internet sarcasm detector, but I think his original post was along the lines of "you think this is bad? wait till you see the mess that is NFS lol"

That's how I took. :(

I'm actually disappointed in myself as I was seriously considering Mass Effect 3 because of the Wii U features. I liked what I was hearing from Straight Right (was hoping because they were working on it and not EA proper it might turn out well where Fifa and Madden are having it's own issues) but guess it was to good to be true. Oh well more money to save or to use on something else.

NinjaBoiX

Port of a year old game on a platform with an install base of zero being lazy? Well I never!
What's the difference between a gamepad, and the controller pro? I thought there was one new pad, with the screen, and the ability to use the wii's peripherals also.

Is that what the article means by controller pro? It means the one from the Wii?

Also, lol, at shoddy port. Doesn't Wii U have more RAM, and therefore less of a performance bottleneck? What a joke.

Pociask

Wait, what? I don't know what the Giant Bomb guys said. That being said, there's no evidence that this game is punishment. But EVERYONE has been saying something went down between EA and Nintendo, for which there is tremendous evidence.

The first E3 that Nintendo unveiled the Wii U, it was Nintendo and EA, on stage together, beaming like pride newborn parents, talking about their unprecedented partnership together. Here we are at launch, and all we have seen is... some messy rushed ports.

The rumor mill has been saying for months that EA wanted Nintendo to use Origin exclusively for their online, and Nintendo pulled out (the very late Miiverse stuff could be evidence of this, but correlation =/ causation and all that).

EA is a publicly traded company - they can't refuse to release games for a new system, or their shareholders would punish them. But they can sure as heck only allocate enough resources to be able to say, whelp, look, we tried.

On the actual review, I don't get this:

but much of the subtlety of the game is lost due to the lack of support for Mass Effect 1 and 2 save files. The game kicks off with a 20-minute digital comic that allows you to make key choices to shape the plot, just like the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, but the most interesting moments in ME3 came as outcomes of smaller choices that aren't included in this prologue. So while you'll still shape the outcome of, say, Tali's major plot arc, you'll never know the pleasure of helping Conrad Verner find true happiness.

We get it - it's better to play through the whole trilogy. People who are playing on Wii U presumably didn't. They're playing this version. Is it fair to punish this version for not being like a seperate version? I haven't played any of the games - is helping Conrad Verner really a highlight of the game? My impression is that everyone has had different experiences playing through the trilogy because of the choices you can make (until the end, amiright?). This guy's complaint seems to be, why can't I relive the same experience I had before? Well, that was a known quantity before the game came out. It sucks, and there should be a trilogy release on Wii U, but there isn't, so let's review this game on its own merits.

beje

Banned
Unless they had to respect contracts preceding the thing. And yes, there is evidence to support this shit: the "unprecedented support" Riccitiello was talking about when Iwata brought him on stage at last year's E3 is nowhere to be found. "They wouldn't be releasing anything on it", yeah, excactly. Have you taken a look at the number of games EA are putting out for the thing ? Write me a list and see if it justifies the unprecedented support EA was suppose to give Nintendo.

Exactly this: FIFA 12.5, Madden 12.5 and a craptastic cheap port of an old game at full price. And it's pretty obvious EA absolutely knew about the trilogy if they're porting ME1 to PS3 as well (would take as much time as porting ME3 too Wii U), it's not coincidental, they were completely aware since months ago than they were just throwing the overpriced leftovers just so they can complain later. It's exactly the same they did with Madden 3DS.

Yes, EA would deliberately spend money on fudging a port just to spite Nintendo. Of course.

What Pociask avobe me said. Especially

EA is a publicly traded company - they can't refuse to release games for a new system, or their shareholders would punish them. But they can sure as heck only allocate enough resources to be able to say, whelp, look, we tried.

NinjaBoiX

Yes, EA would deliberately spend money on fudging a port just to spite Nintendo. Of course.
What? I think the issue is that they didn't spend any money on fudging a port.

Who in there right mind, would pay to make a product worse?

C'mon son.
This Nintendo fan never assumes malevolence where incompetence will suffice, and assuming incompetence is rarely a stretch when taking about EA.
Basically what Orayn said, but with slightly less eloquence.

(smart arse)

XD

Bisnic

We get it - it's better to play through the whole trilogy. People who are playing on Wii U presumably didn't. They're playing this version. Is it fair to punish this version for not being like a seperate version? I haven't played any of the games - is helping Conrad Verner really a highlight of the game? My impression is that everyone has had different experiences playing through the trilogy because of the choices you can make (until the end, amiright?). This guy's complaint seems to be, why can't I relive the same experience I had before? Well, that was a known quantity before the game came out. It sucks, and there should be a trilogy release on Wii U, but there isn't, so let's review this game on its own merits.

Part of the fun of playing the trilogy was/is seeing or hearing about minor characters that you helped in previous games. Minor characters that otherwise wouldn't be there with the digital comic i suppose since it only cover the major points.

Patryn

They wouldn't spend money, but if they already agreed to release ME3 on Wii U, they could choose to underfund the project.

I don't believe that EA is "punishing" Nintendo, but I do think something went down and they cooled on the platform. Hence, they pulled back to only the bare minimal support for a platform until they decide whether to refocus on it (if their shit ports sell really well), or cut bait.

The worst version and only 38 dollars more than the 360 version. Good job, EA. Redefining "doing as absolutely little as possible" once again.

PhantomR

Banned
Wii U about to get Dreamcasted by EA.

LOL.

I certainly hope that Riccitello isn't that stupid. Considering how poorly EA's games perform on Nintendo platforms from a sales perspective, any attempt to do that to Nintendo would be straight laughable.

Top Bottom