• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

Log4Girlz

thats what hes saying

The generational shift from Pentium's to Pentium 2's was completely about increasing computational power. Like, 100% of the reason. It was all about a power shift. Though does not result necessarily in an entire complete CPU line up is absolutely more powerful than absolutely anything that comes before it, to deny that generational shifts in CPU's and GPU's are marked by advances in sheer performance is ridiculous and borders on disingenuous.

In the case of consoles, each generational shift was marked by a massive increase in power. This shift in power was what defined the coming of a new generation. Not just the chronological order of a system's release. The colloquial term "Next-generation" which is what the vast majority of gamers use absolutely refers to a shift in raw performance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Each generation of the Pentium line was created as an attempt to better the performance of the previous generation. The slowest Penium 1's at the time were always slower than the slowest Pentium 2's, even if the fastest Pentiums may be faster than some of the slower Pentium 2's. They were developed solely to improve as a whole the performance of the previous generation. Go ahead. Find some PR material. Find some marketing. You come back and you let me know if the power of the chip was emphasized or not.

Each generation of consoles were MARKETED HEAVILY as more powerful than the previous. You live in a dreamland.
Man, I miss the "Pentium" name. :\

Reiko

Banned
According to Quaz51 from B3D... Darksiders 2 is also Sub HD like PS3/360

darksiders-ii-wii-u-wszcqx.jpg

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1682088&postcount=1864

neorej

ERMYGERD!
At least they looks considerably better than on other systems....

Basically, what it all comes down to; Nintendo games look and play awesome on the system, the rest is crapware that needs to be played on a PC or MS/Sony-console for decent performance.

It's like Wii all over again.

dark10x

Now this is interesting because Vigil were they guys that hyped the Wii U hardware to the moon before release.
Well, Vigil doesn't exactly have a spotless record when it comes to such statements. They made claims about the 360 and PS3 versions as well that did not come true.

There's also a lot of hoops one must jump through in order to achieve a smooth framerate on the PC (they screwed up monitor sync).

When it comes to the technical side of things, these guys have yet to deliver.

MrWisker

Yeah at this rate I can't imagine the WiiU version of Alien : Colonial Marines being all that Gearbox is touting it to be.

Why? I would assume that a game that has had a bit more time to cook would most likely be able to take better advantage of the newer features of the Wii-U. For the games that were released with the console at launch, I personally feel they were pretty decent ports for the most part, considering they were a rush job of sorts. I expect better things as time goes on and developers have more time to learn how to get the most out of the the Wii-U.

dark10x

For comparison sake (though the Wii U shot has some compression artifacts mucking things up a bit). Image quality seems roughly the same.

darksiders-ii-wii-u-wszcqx.jpg

1280x-1

creid

Oops, I'm a few weeks late, but:

ITT: "Devs should have new systems mastered by launch day."

No. More like "It should not be necessary to master a next-gen system to successfully port previous-gen games to it."

A different question: do people expect the PS4/720 versions of cross-generational titles to be inferior to their PS3/360 counterparts because developers first have to master the new systems?
I chose my words poorly. Devs certainly don't need to "master" launch hardware, but I think it's pretty obvious that you're going to run into some technical problems when first working with new hardware that you might not have time to fix when you're releasing on launch day.

Not sure if old; Digital Foundry article on Batman AC Wii U has been posted.
In-game, image quality is a very close match indeed for the existing console versions.
However, the arrival of FXAA is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, high contrast edges are smoothed significantly - a welcome addition. Unfortunately, on the flipside, the additional blurring detracts from the quality of the artwork, with specular highlights in particular dulled significantly.
It's all change on Wii U though - and not for the better in our opinion. V-sync is employed throughout, working in combination with what appears to be an unlocked frame-rate. The result is messy - the consistent pad response from the Xbox 360 and PS3 games is lost and the game is plagued with judder as frame-rate zooms above - and below - the 30FPS target employed on the other console versions.
Xbox 360 comes off best here, doggedly maintaining its 30FPS target with only minor screen-tear issues during Batman's tour of Arkham City. In those same sections we see PS3 significantly more affected by the increased rendering load. Wii U appears to be a fairly close match for the Sony platform, but with none of the tearing problems. However, in combat it's a completely different story - decent performance on the existing current-gen platforms but noticeably sub-par results on the Wii U. In common with Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops 2, once again Wii U has trouble processing multiple characters on-screen at any given point - more evidence that the CPU is simply not up to scratch for straight PS3/360 ports without some extensive optimisation.
More through the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-arkham-city-wii-u-face-off

Edit: Oops didn't see the dedicated thread.

Wasn't this supposed to look better better than the ps360 versions?

No. The dev said specifically that they were not going to add anything to make the game better. They said they were aiming to make it around the same as the ps360 versions similarly. But another dev did say that the Wii U was powerful enough to run a better looking version of the game

Top Bottom