• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim coming to Nintendo Switch [Maybe?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I searched but did not find a dedicated thread. The game is immensely popular and this is its first appearance on a Nintendo console so I thought people may want to discuss it.

Nintendo-Switch-Skyrim-1176x600.jpg

(Image via GameSpew)

partners.png

The Dink

Well shit. The only reason I don't play Skyrim all the time is because I can't take it with me. This...this is going to kill me.

This is a choice I don't understand. Especially to dedicate time to it.

Because Skyrim is one of the most popular video games of all time and now people can easily play it anywhere.

I don't even like The Elder Scrolls and I'm going to buy it, as having it on the go might actually get me to play the game in short bursts.

jblank83

Mods or no mods? That is the question.

Really good question. A question that leads to more questions:

How is the software ecosystem around the hardware?
How is the UI, the OS, the shop? How is the online?

Will be interesting to hear more details in the coming months.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is a choice I don't understand. Especially to dedicate time to it.

Me neither.

Sure it was a good game but people are largely over it right now and i've not seen much hype for the remaster. The modding community keeps it very popular on PC though.

A weird game to show your 2017 handheld off with.

Skyrim is popular as fuck and people will go crazy having it portable

Seems pretty obvious to me

Because Skyrim is one of the most popular video games of all time and now people can easily play it anywhere.

I don't even like The Elder Scrolls and I'm going to buy it, as having it on the go might actually get me to play the game in short bursts.

It's a 5 years old game. it WAS popular.

Effect

I'm already getting the Special Edition on PC because I bought the DLC (thankfully on a big sale) but being able to play Skyrim portably is enough to make me double dip on that game. I never expected that to be the case.

xrnzaaas

That's one game I would never suspect to debut on a Nintendo handheld. I wonder if (how much) they'll change the game to be more accessible.

Mods or no mods? That is the question.

Unlikely, unfortunately. Bethesda had enough trouble negotiating with Sony. And we all know Nintendo's stance with anything online. I'd love to be wrong though, and if Nintendo and Beth played nice with one another. But then Nintendo needs a solid online platform.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You know the device has a place when you can get people to consider buying your 5 year old game again. WiiU didnt have this type of appeal. Ports on WiiU had a hard time....could be diffrent on Switch.

The Dink

Unlikely, unfortunately. Bethesda had enough trouble negotiating with Sony. And we all know Nintendo's stance with anything online.

Yeah, mods are unlikely. I imagine Nintendo looking at a mod site once, with all its nudity and sex, and saying "NOPE NO NO NO." Portability is the main sell here I'd say.

It's extremely popular in the PC modding scene. But outside of that? I haven't seen much hype at all for the remaster.

I mean, it's not going to sell millions of copies or anything....but it's a great game to have in portable form and it'll do well if it's released at launch.

BiggNife

It is almost defintiely the remastered edition that PS4/XBO is getting. It would be ridiculous if it was the original PS360 version.

Then again Wii U had ME3 as a $60 launch title the same fucking week ME Trilogy came out on PS360 so who the fuck knows

Anth0ny

This is huge. A step in the right direction for Nintendo.

the next goal is getting the next elder scrolls day and date alongside the other consoles/PC. create a fanbase for these games on your platform.

Sheroking

Me neither.

Sure it was a good game but people are largely over it right now and i've not seen much hype for the remaster. The modding community keeps it very popular on PC though.

A weird game to show your 2017 handheld off with.

It's one of those "easy early third party" games to secure. Bethesda was already working on Skyrim Remastered, doesn't need to start the work from scratch and has the thing running on two generations of consoles that Switch best compares to. Something like Fallout 4 would have to be ported in a vacuum.

I never think it's a bad thing to have one of the most popular games ever made come to your system.

SalvaPot

I always wanted to play this but the long hours always kept me away.

This is for me.

I wouldn't hold my breath over switch ever getting mods for games.

Maybe, but its possible it will have a "Nintendo Pack" with all kinds of skins and Nintendo related cameos or items. A few games on the Wii U did that.

Unlikely, unfortunately. Bethesda had enough trouble negotiating with Sony. And we all know Nintendo's stance with anything online. I'd love to be wrong though, and if Nintendo and Beth played nice with one another. But then Nintendo needs a solid online platform.

You mean easier to work with than Sony? Nintendo has quite a few cross-platform online games on the Wii U already.

I think the fact that we are getting this and not like Fallout 4 Complete Edition might be a hint as to the power, not that it is particularly surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom