• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

Vena

You and most of us in the NPD predictions thread did too.

I probably won't put them at winning anymore months until the end of the year.

Then watch the stock situation gets fixed. I'm tired of getting burned by Nintendo with my predictions!!! lol.

It'll be temp price drop/sales vs. improved stock this month, so take your bets!

joe_zazen

Well, Persona 5 takes a couple of hours to jump into the good stuff, and it's a ~100 hour long rpg that requires a lot of time management to get the full experience. Not port begging here, but i wonder how it would have fared if it was a PS4/Switch release instead of the PS3. P4G felt just right on the vita, portability would have helped such a time consuming game imo.

It would not have changed the WOM. The game is the game.

Well nier is still charting a couple months later so that's something to say about persona. All in all they dropped the ball

The large gap between region release
Barely any marketing
Shaky pr with the dual audio thing
Streaming restrictions

It all added up

kyser73

GTAV really needs to die. It's not healthy for the industry for one game to be hogging revenue for 4+ years.

Smaller games like Prey have enough trouble competing in the AAA market and then you have GTA indefinitely demanding 10% or whatever of all software business. It just need to end.

Those platforms combined have a lower userbase than PS4, and the Switch version alone is outselling Horizon anyway. Dumb excuse.

Got a number on that, and how exactly is it an excuse? The simple fact is HZD is the only single platform title in the YTD Top 10, and the warrior bait expressed in at least 2 posts in this thread should be contextualised (IIRC WiiU sales in the launch month were about 1/3 of total unit sales).

P5 falling off the charts makes sense for a lot of reasons, one of which being that people aren't talking about it the same way they did P4; if anything, that same type of very positive word of mouth is focusing on Nier instead. And it shows in Nier's sales.
Exactly.

I don't understand the good word of mouth for Nier though. Game is pretty average but I guess people are curious about it. I bought it out if curiosity!

joe_zazen

Didn't it already outsell the living crap out of previous Persona games? While the legs aren't there, they can still hold onto the fact that they still sold more from a pure units standpoint already.

The strong start Imo, was a product of P4 love. Legs are a good indication of fan reaction.

It'll be temp price drop/sales vs. improved stock this month, so take your bets!

I expect Switch to be up from May in June but it probably won't be a huge jump.

It looks like PS4 outsold it by a decent amount in May and June will have the $249 Gold PS4.

PS4 should take the month I think

allan-bh

Jrpg and legs? No

Not even big names like Final Fantasy has good legs. Persona 5 had an amazing first month for the series standard, that's good enough.

Chumly

No one is saying that their contract just covers enough for 10m units, but no company is going to have a contract for 18m units of components when their estimate is 10m units.

Companies gradually increase their order of components they don't plan on being road blocked by higher bids from almost every electronic manufacturer.
If a company doesnt have a risk plan on place for other companies "taking" their materials then they are incompetent. Did Nintendo not think that anyone else could possible use the same materials? I never said they had to buy all 18 million units of materials either.

D.Lo

So glad to hear that PS4/XB1 is doing better than PS3/360 by a solid 29%.

Thats awesome to hear. Add switch to that and we should have a very healthy generation, for hardware sales atleast.
That's because at this point in last generation, the Wii had eaten the PS360's lunch and was 50% of the market. PS4bone would need to be around 90% up on PS360 to make up for the Wii to Wii U fall at this point. PS360 also pivoted at about this point to the Wii audience with Kinect/Move, the former giving MS a near re-launch and PS360 ended up having very backloaded sales and a prolonged generation to get to their totals.

Vena

I expect Switch to be up from May in June but it probably won't be a huge jump.

It looks like PS4 outsold it by a decent amount in May and June will have the $249 Gold PS4.

PS4 should take the month I think

No clue. I have no idea what the shipment was for the NPD for Switch vs. PS4, and I have no idea what June will look like either but I expected PS4 to go up on a price drop like that (unless it was super limited).

Logic dictates that the price drop + ample supply would end up above a system that's strained on both sides by production and demand with no surplus.

Hawk269

***NPD also points out that the Xbox One and PS4 are both still collectively outperforming their predecessors, up 29% percent over the Xbox 360 and PS3.***

The videogame industry and everyone is winning...just some winning more then others! Good positive news for everyone.

Yeah, that is great news. I know there is a lot of console warz shit that goes on, but I really think that MS fighting back a bit and Sony just kicking ass is a great thing for the industry and in the end it is really good for the gamers. I hope they combined continue to drive sales and grow the industry and with the Switch doing well just makes the industry healthier.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do you know if Injustice a strong performer? I know it should be past the last one just based on Mario Kart's last month sales, but I have no real basis for if it would be all the way up in the good range yet.

This is me saying "depends if you..." again, but depends if you consider injustice 1 a "strong performer." Seems they launched on par but with a stronger revenue strategy-higher priced SKU drove rev

Ashtar

GTAV really needs to die. It's not healthy for the industry for one game to be hogging revenue for 4+ years.

Smaller games like Prey have enough trouble competing in the AAA market and then you have GTA indefinitely demanding 10% or whatever of all software business. It just need to end.

Those platforms combined have a lower userbase than PS4, and the Switch version alone is outselling Horizon anyway. Dumb excuse.
I doubt a game like gtav would effect preys sells, it was gonna bomb regardless thanks in part to bethesdas review policy
If they didn't buy gtav they'd probably buy cod or something else not some immersive sim

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Do you honestly think that companies make a product without contracts in place for the materials? Nintendo only had materials set aside for their 10 million forecast with no backup. That's THEIR problem. It's not apples problem. It's not something that is "out of their hands".
Yea gotta agree with you on this.

Look at some upcoming smartphone articles or about Apple having 2-3 different suppliers for their screens. Or going with someone other than Samsung because Samsung might can't supply enough of what they want. They use Samsung alot for their iDevices.

Now that I think about it, you are both could be right.

What if the back up Nintendo wanted to use is also used by Apple...

jrcbandit

Why are the PC numbers down so much? Was there a major release this time last year? Was a last month a massive slide too? Seems weird considering what a diverse platform it is.

There weren't any truly huge PC releases in May. In 2016, there was Doom and Overwatch, both gargantuan releases. This year, there was Prey and it sold less than 300k copies on Steam for May and June, although that might be better than it did on consoles (poor Prey...) However, the one thing that confuses me is how they are even tracking PC releases, considering digital sales info aren't given out by many companies. Doom/Overwatch were huge in 2016 May, but don't Blizzard and Bethesda not give out digital sales info? Also, Prey digital sales info not given so did the 250k sales in May for PC not count?

Aters

The strong start Imo, was a product of P4 love. Legs are a good indication of fan reaction.

Persona 4 was a rather unknown name back then. People bought the game months later because they heard about it from somewhere. Now all those people have become diehard Persona fans and bought Persona 5 day one, that's why P5 had a stronger start than previous entry. The problem is that it cannot attract new players. Every potential buyer has already bought the game. I don't think fan-reaction is that important when it comes to the second month's sale. If you are a fan, you already own the game no matter what. We'll see how well P5 is received by fans when P6 launches.

border

Compared to a cross-gen title with 5 or so SKUs representing it?

GTAV is similar to Wii Play because every new Wii owner saw it as an essential purchase. The whole platform was centered around local multiplayer, so you needed more than one controller. Wii Play was basically a second controller that included a whole new game for $10 extra.

The game did worse than Fates if that's what your asking.

Well, there's actually a ton of room for it to have slid in between the first month sales of Awakening and Fates, which it almost certainly did.

The question is where did it actually end up in that range?

Got a number on that, and how exactly is it an excuse? The simple fact is HZD is the only single platform title in the YTD Top 10, and the warrior bait expressed in at least 2 posts in this thread should be contextualised (IIRC WiiU sales in the launch month were about 1/3 of total unit sales).

I already explained that Zelda being multiplatform is not a factor when it's still at a userbase disadvantage compared everything else on the list.

There are less than 10 million Switches and Wii U's in America compared to over 20 million PS4's.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
If a company doesnt have a risk plan on place for other companies "taking" their materials then they are incompetent. Did Nintendo not think that anyone else could possible use the same materials? I never said they had to buy all 18 million units of materials either.

So again you don't know what you are talking about.

You don't compete with companies like Apple for components. There are no plans that circumvent the gap in spending power.

However, the one thing that confuses me is how they are even tracking PC releases, considering digital sales info aren't given out by many companies. Doom/Overwatch were huge in 2016 May, but don't Blizzard and Bethesda not give out digital sales info?

Blizzard console digital is included, but sales on battlenet/blizzard launcher are not. No Bethesda digital is included.

yaaas

W1wIAIX.gif

Farpoint, Nier, and Fire Emblem all make me happy.

You did it y'all.

Also, I thought Switch might start beating out PS4. Wonder why exactly it didn't happen this month.

Top Bottom