• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

allan-bh

This is me saying "depends if you..." again, but depends if you consider injustice 1 a "strong performer." Seems they launched on par but with a stronger revenue strategy-higher priced SKU drove rev

Just on par? I think is a little disappointing, but good sales.

For those who don't know, Injustice 1 sold ~760k on retail according to the leaked data

Farpoint, Nier, and Fire Emblem all make me happy.

You did it y'all.

Also, I thought Switch might start beating out PS4. Wonder why exactly it didn't happen this month.

Supply constraints as a result of factory competition with other tech providers, like Apple, that Nintendo can't actually compete with.

Why are people talking like P5 did bad all of a sudden?
I certainly don't think P5 did bad, just that it might have done better. Whether that would manifest itself with only slightly higher numbers last month, or slightly stronger legs this month I dunno.

As for this month's sales, it's cool to see FE Echoes chart. I'm relatively new to the series (only played Awakening before) but I'm really liking Echoes.

joe_zazen

Pokemon is Pokemon, just like GTA is GTA. You don't expect every open world adventure game does as well as GTA. Likewise you don't expect Pokemon leg from other JRPGs.

Point is, JRPGS aren't snowflake games. There is ro reason P5 couldn't have been in the top 20 in month two with a better reception.

edit. and, like mr. Fodder, I dont think it did poorly sales wise, it just didn't resonate with me, like 4 did. So, naturally, I assume the rest of the world shares my judgement. ;-p

Jigorath

Banned
Persona 5 has been a massive sales success, with a launch month many multiples higher than any previous release in the franchise.

Yep.

Persona 5 being front loaded isn't too big a deal when first month sales were that good.

Nier's legs, in both the West and Japan, have been nothing short of amazing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I already explained that Zelda being multiplatform is not a factor when it's still at a userbase disadvantage compared everything else on the list.

There are less than 10 million Switches and Wii U's in America compared to over 20 million PS4's.
Now compare that to how many PS4 exclusives are on the list vs Nintendo. Or just how many games period that would compete for attention with HZD on PS4 vs what's on the Switch competing with BotW.

Which also happens to be a new IP on PS4.

Perspective.

fernoca

Just on par? I think is a little disappointing, but good sales.

For those who don't know, Injustice 1 sold ~760k on retail according to the leaked data
In NA alone, yeah. The first game did that in a few months. Debuted to around 300k then stood at the top a few months.

2 did more in the first month.

Nier's legs, in both the West and Japan, have been nothing short of amazing.

For the type of game it is and being the follow up to a game that didn't perform well commercially anyways its performance is nothing short of incredible.

Like possibly the most impressive / surprising performance of the year for me.

JeTmAn81

3DS and Vita:
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia
Pokemon Sun
Pokemon Moon
Super Mario Maker
Mario Kart 7
Mario Sports Superstars
Super Smash Bros.
Poochy and Yoshi’s Wooly World
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Super Mario 3D Land

I feel like it's mean to call this the 3DS and Vita chart

NimbusD

Really don't know how useful these things are anymore without digital data. Minecraft and overwatch would be way higher but who knows by how much.

MK8 is full priced. Matt already explained anyway.

MK8 may be full priced but it didn't have Deluxe (heh) editions that were >$60....at least I don't think it did.

but also yeah what Matt said (and the NPD chart doesn't include digital for MK8 but does for Injustice)

Ridley327

Is that a good spot for Fire Emblem?

I think it fits the aims of the game pretty well. A repeat of Fates was never in the cards, especially since there are fewer SKUs at play and Echoes never had quite the hype that Fates had. Not amazing, but I can't imagine anyone over at Nintendo and IntSys are disappointed with the results.

fernoca

~760k is just for april 2013.
That's a bit high. The highest estimate from the April 2013 chart had it at 400k or so, minimum was at 290k, with less than 5% on Wii U.

Guess numbers were higher.

Though around 800k for the sequel is still quite impressive all things considered

Welfare

I remember quite well that NPD reported Naruto UNS4 on PS4 outsold SFV last year but it was because of that SKU ranking. Combined SKUs had SFV over Naruto. Meh.

Good results for both MK8D and Injustice 2 either way.

Also IIRC, someone posted here that Reggie said Switch was the top platform this month during an E3 interview, so either that poster was wrong, I misremembered what I read, or again, single SKU ranking has Switch on top. Could you confirm, Mat?

Busaiku

Shadows of Valentia wasn't really a low budget affair.
There were reused assets, sure, but it had lots of new stuff, the dungeons, and it was almost fully voiced (only a few villagers weren't). It probably cost close to Awakening/Fates.

Really don't know how useful these things are anymore without digital data. Minecraft and overwatch would be way higher but who knows by how much.

Both Minecraft and Overwatch digital console sales are included. Digital PC for these two titles are not, unfortunately..

All things considered, digital coverage is pretty good at this point. Still missing some publishers and distribution platforms, but I think we are a long way the charts being "without digital data".

Switch lost

What did it lose?

Ridley327

Shadows of Valentia wasn't really a low budget affair.
There were reused assets, sure, but it had lots of new stuff, the dungeons, and it was almost fully voiced (only a few villagers weren't). It probably cost close to Awakening/Fates.

Doesn't it have far fewer CG cutscenes, and the cutscenes it does have are of a clearly less animated variety? I think that there's a lot of costs there that they saved on.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
HZD still the only single platform title in the YTD Top 10.

Impressive legs

I mean, yes, but that kind of sounds like PR because the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is on two very similar platforms with a smaller combined install base to this point than the PS4 in the US.

Kureransu

Am i the only one expecting a gta v for switch to happen in the next 6 months? It seems like a runaway success on paper. Portable GTA V... can you imagine?!?!?

AniHawk

Its also pretty much the only big game on a console that just came out and the other thats on its way out. Why do people not factor in that?

because a good deal of people counted the switch out when it was $300 and launching with five games at the start of march, with nothing major until the end of april. zelda basically carried the platform to success.

Passose

Banned
I wonder what would Psycho_mantis do if he wasn't banned, he was claiming Persona 5 to be the best selling jrpg of all time the entire last month NPD thread

Mory Dunz

Injustice is #9 YTD. MK8 isn't even on the list.
But MK8 has have a 495k month in addtion to this month.
MK8 also had the highest SKU.
But Injustice is #1 overall for the month.

it's kind of a fun back and forth. Like an old school math problem. I wonder what numbers make it possible.
We have to assume MK8 sold more this month than last right?
otherwise the math doesn't work.

Top Bottom