• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

LOCK

I wonder if Nintendo can ship 700k+ for Switch WW in June. Seems to have done around 500k for May.

And with the PAL charts there was no indication that shipments improved with ARMs launch in the U.K. Media Create will confirm things Wednesday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They should probably take some switch stock out from the territories where it's not as crazy. Doesn't seem close to selling out here in Australia.

Will there ever be a Vita game in the "3DS and Vita" chart?

giphy.gif

thefro

Now compare that to how many PS4 exclusives are on the list vs Nintendo. Or just how many games period that would compete for attention with HZD on PS4 vs what's on the Switch competing with BotW.

Which also happens to be a new IP on PS4.

Perspective.

Sony's already cut the price of Horizon $20.

It'll probably be "free" on PS+ before Breath of the Wild drops in price on Switch.

2017 YTD:

1. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  2. For Honor
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  7. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  8. NBA 2K17
  9. Injustice 2
  10. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

2017 - YTD? Damnnn Horizon did good! I'm surprised at For Honor though with all the negative reviews it seemed to have gotten.

Injustice is #9 YTD. MK8 isn't even on the list.
But MK8 has have a 495k month in addtion to this month.
MK8 also had the highest SKU.
But Injustice is #1 overall for the month.

it's kind of a fun back and forth. Like an old school math problem. I wonder what numbers make it possible.
We have to assume MK8 sold more this month than last right?
otherwise the math doesn't work.

Injustice also has a $100 edition (which did very well) and its a revenue based chart

Mory Dunz

If Nintendo is sticking that ten 10 mil, I wonder when stock will have to increase.
Does anyone know the current pace of the switch currently with these issues?

Injustice also has a $100 edition (which did very well) and its a revenue based chart

yea I just caught up to the thread and saw that there are "4 SKUs" with that included.

I should probably edit my post.

So we don't really know if MK8 did better than 495k this month then.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's a bit high. The highest estimate from the April 2013 chart had it at 400k or so, minimum was at 290k, with less than 5% on Wii U.

Guess numbers were higher.

Though around 800k for the sequel is still quite impressive all things considered

allan is right here, on the money

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Farpoint being 16th in spite of sales lower than 50k makes sense when you consider the bundle SKU, priced at $79.99, and that these are revenue-based charts.

John, my classic Switch-related question, with small changes: how many games were able to sell over 40,000 in May? And how many over 20,000?

I wonder if Nintendo can ship 700k+ for Switch WW in June. Seems to have done around 500k for May.

And with the PAL charts there was no indication that shipments improved with ARMs launch in the U.K. Media Create will confirm things Wednesday.

While we'll have to wait for tomorrow's numbers to be absolutely sure, there have been reports of an increased stock shipment for Arms' week in Japan.

YaBish

If GTA V Switch happens, I'll eat a hat.
Then go stalk a Target until I can buy a Switch
I'm part of the problem ;_;

Lothar

Banned
It's good to hear Nier is doing well. I bought it February because I was a huge fan of the first game, am only now getting around to playing it, and it is outstanding.

Bitanator

If GTA V Switch happens, I'll eat a hat.
Then go stalk a Target until I can buy a Switch
I'm part of the problem ;_;

It has bad stock problems as it is, GTA V would ensure nobody gets one unless you give in to eBay. I'd love for it to show up, I would like a Chinatown Wars ports too

wtf gta v

game probably makes more from DLC/RMT too

no wonder my gta v tutorial videos basically never ever ever go down in weekly views lol everything single month new people want to know how to make money from stocks or buy a garage lol

legend166

They should probably take some switch stock out from the territories where it's not as crazy. Doesn't seem close to selling out here in Australia.

We're a tiny market.

They could take all the excess Switches from Australia (please don't, I'm planning to buy one in a few months), and they might get 10k extra to put into the US. And that's probably being generous.

Rymuth

* PS4 on top - aaaaand we're back.

* Siege continues to be Ubi's best success story this gen. The downside is that they'll probably ride this gen out to the end before we get Siege 2 on next gen consoles.

* Since Arkham Origins was released, NRS pushed out not one but two hits. Meanwhile, WB Montreal be like ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Warner Bros must be utterly baffled at the disparity

Branduil

Nintendo is losing a lot of money due to hardware shortages over the last year. They're going to have to ramp up soon to even hit their conservative target.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
We're a tiny market.

They could take all the excess Switches from Australia (please don't, I'm planning to buy one in a few months), and they might get 10k extra to put into the US. And that's probably being generous.

I don't just mean australia. :p Seems to be sitting a bit in some parts of europe too.

* Siege continues to be Ubi's best success story this gen. The downside is that they'll probably ride this gen out to the end before we get Siege 2 on next gen consoles.

Yup I fully believe we won't see Siege 2 until next gen at this point.

They were originally planning a sequel to it earlier but the momentum has been so strong for Siege they are all in

Now compare that to how many PS4 exclusives are on the list vs Nintendo. Or just how many games period that would compete for attention with HZD on PS4 vs what's on the Switch competing with BotW.

Which also happens to be a new IP on PS4.

Perspective.

In the end, the lifetime sales for these game will be millions apart. Both had things going for and against them, but Zelda won convincingly enough to put this argument to rest.

samar11

You and most of us in the NPD predictions thread did too.

I probably won't put them at winning anymore months until the end of the year.

Then watch the stock situation gets fixed. I'm tired of getting burned by Nintendo with my predictions!!! lol.

End of the year (Sep and Nov/Dec) I think PS4 will take it with switch second if supply is good.

Nintendo needs to fix the supply issues ASAP. They're wasting a great opportunity not only to have sales but improve it's userbase in a time there's huge demand for Switch in the market.

Yeah the Switch is supply constrained, but bottom line is the PS4 outsold it. Nintendo needs to get their act together and put out more units so the install base can grow and devs will be more inclined to develop games for it

Yeah the Switch is supply constrained, but bottom line is the PS4 outsold it. Nintendo needs to get their act together and put out more units so the install base can grow and devs will be more inclined to develop games for it

You act like sales dropped off and the console failed when it very clearly hasn't.

Piggus

As someone who played and loved it on PS4, it is definitely nowhere near awful on consoles.

Having played it on both, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. But if you enjoyed it, then great! But Digital Foundry was right about how much better the PC version is imo.

What total sales is BotW probably at by now? Any way to guess that? It's got to be above 3 million, I feel.

Pretty darn good. Definitely close to blowing past Skyward Sword sales by now.

Persona 5's performance is disappointing. It shows that despite having a very vocal and diehard fanbase, the franchise has problem absorbing new fans. People are always asking about why big RPGs have to be action-oriented. You can find your answer here by comparing Persona 5 and Nier Automata side by side. Turn-based games have an audience for sure, the problem is that the audience just doesn't grow. When your budget reaches a certain point, that audience is simply not big enough.

I decided to try out Persona 5 after a friend recommended it (first persona game) and I'm loving it so far. I do wish more people would give games like this a chance.

Top Bottom