• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybald

Bigger than normal haul this week. While I was bagging and boarding, I decided to read Plastic #2.

Surprised it was better than the first issue story-wise. The art, particularly the colors, are phenomenal. Weird as shit story but it is starting to come toegether.

arkon

so, Star Wars except good

I wanted to like DK but it was so hard to get into. Wonder if it reads better collected

Yeah, could be, but it's one of those that is really far down my list of priorities to the point that I might not get round to it.

Oh that's interesting, I didn't have any issues reading it in trade. Right enough though, as a trade it's effectively a graphic novel centered around them holding the line ala 300. For me that works as a trade, but I could see how 6 months into the book, that could feel dissatisfying. That's kind of my main problem with the medium in general though, and why I read everything in trade, so I'm kind at a different angle to most of you guys on that.

And yea, the bulk of either issue 3 or 4 is mostly made up the knight's vision and doesn't really move the story on in the present moment of the tale. It builds that character and the lore in an effective manner though.

At heart though I think it's a book with an interesting plot and lore that tells it in a pretty fun manner with the tone it closes to take. It definitely is not the strongest character piece I've read before, and usually that will rub me up the wrong way with a book, but I dunno. I just find a good portion of the cast quite likeable and I like the setting so I find it easy to slide into and run with. I think if the book took itself super seriously I would be far less impressed, but since it's part comedy I dig.

It's why I've gone back to tradewaiting and switched to digital sales (if I want to be more current) for pretty much everything now.

There are examples of series where I felt the monthly read was worthwhile so it's definitely doable. It boils down to quality at the end of it all. If there's some aspect that's good enough be it a central mystery to dig into or characters and themes I can appreciate, then, yeah I probably would have held on longer. I do feel like some creative teams are only too happy to extend a story beyond what it requires and they don't do anything with that extra space.

It does get me thinking sometimes how I might treat classic runs if I were reading them monthly or at their original serialized pace.

Heading to megacon this Sunday, first con ever!

Don't really have much planned, do want to attend the Rebirth panel and annoy Didio with a Shazam question :p.

Enjoy! And wash your hands a lot, those places are nasty.

For sure, I've heard hygiene can be pretty bad at cons, especially with deodorant.

Is this the one in Phoenix? I saw some news that they arrested some guy with a bunch of weapons!

This one is in Orlando, here's the guest list.

Not a bad lineup for guests, really wanted to meet George Perez but he's tomorrow only.

I might be suckered into a photo with killer frost.

Messi

So Elsa Charretier is gone from Wasp as predicted :(

Thank you! I'm on the title until #6 but other great artists picked up after me!

Also she is working on a GRRM book!

Thank you! I'm drawing a graphic novel written by GRRM for Random House right now!

Out in 2018 :) And I'll have more monthly comics out by then, of course. Thank you so much for the support!

VanWinkle

He's already now in my top 3 for Aquaman artists, IMO (the other two being Ivan Reis and Paul Pelletier). INCREDIBLE.

I've finally got this book!!!

ObqW4T.jpg

I've been wanting it forever but it was just too expensive for me. Right now was just a good time. I adored Vol. 1, so I'm soooo glad to finally be able to continue it.

Vyer

Just finished catching up with Deadly Class. That is a hell of a ride.

Gonna have to dig back through the threads and read some reactions to a couple key issues.

Oh my, the current 65% off Image stuff at CMX sale applies to the already discounted price on a *bunch* of Image collections. It turns a TON of 5 and 6 issue collections into $2.99 and $3.50 propositions. This seems different from the last sale when it was almost always the better deal to buy the single issues since the sale mostly didn't apply to discounted collections.

duckroll

It's dead, Jim.

So Marvel is just going to throw away the work they paid for which is already finished, and give up the sales for the hardcover omnibus of the complete series they could sell which would get them at least 10 sales 11 sales (I might buy one for a friend)? Really?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my, the current 65% off Image stuff at CMX sale applies to the already discounted price on a *bunch* of Image collections. It turns a TON of 5 and 6 issue collections into $2.99 and $3.50 propositions. This seems different from the last sale when it was almost always the better deal to buy the single issues since the sale mostly didn't apply to discounted collections.

I'm gonna end up on some sort of pervert list, now that I've bought Messi's S and M book.

blackflag

What's good from D.C. These days? I never really read any of it except batman but playing injustice and I'm enjoying it and some of these characters a lot.

ElNarez

Banned
What's good from D.C. These days? I never really read any of it except batman but playing injustice and I'm enjoying it and some of these characters a lot.

Some of the favs:
-Deathstroke (it's about Deathstroke being a supervillain meathead who can only relate with his family through elaborate, wheels-within-wheels, plans that always have at least three levels of deception, it's very clever, and it hits pretty hard)
-Detective Comics (the Bat-Family comic, with a whole mess of fan-favorite characters doing cool things and hanging out)
-Green Arrow (It's a super-smart blend of incredibly cool action storytelling with your ripped-from-the-headlines social commentary that's not afraid to get into it)
-Superman (it's about Superman being a dad, with a reverence to the character and his history that gives it all the kind of warmth you'd want from a Superman book)

And those are just the uncontroversial ones. Those are big crowdpleasers. Those are the ones most people will agree on. The rest kinda depends on what kind of things you're into, but, it's all worth checking out.

Aizo

Banned
oh boy, the very act of bagging and boarding is why I switched to digital. I just couldn't stand it anymore.
I switched to digital to save money and space. I move like every year between prefectures or even countries. Last year, I moved twice. The year before, I moved twice. Two years ago, I moved three times. This year I'll move only, I hope, once, and that's it about one month. Ugh. I hate moving. Not looking forward to boxing all the stuff I showed you all the other week.

How long is Sejic going to be on Aquaman? I will actually read it now.

It's probably just an arc, unfortunately. Would love to see him continue past that.
One arc but he's also doing a Suicide Squad issue with Rob Williams.
He's already now in my top 3 for Aquaman artists, IMO (the other two being Ivan Reis and Paul Pelletier). INCREDIBLE.

I've finally got this book!!!

ObqW4T.jpg

I've been wanting it forever but it was just too expensive for me. Right now was just a good time. I adored Vol. 1, so I'm soooo glad to finally be able to continue it.
...Damn it, I'm putting in my order for omnibus 2 and 3.

blackflag

Some of the favs:
-Deathstroke (it's about Deathstroke being a supervillain meathead who can only relate with his family through elaborate, wheels-within-wheels, plans that always have at least three levels of deception, it's very clever, and it hits pretty hard)
-Detective Comics (the Bat-Family comic, with a whole mess of fan-favorite characters doing cool things and hanging out)
-Green Arrow (It's a super-smart blend of incredibly cool action storytelling with your ripped-from-the-headlines social commentary that's not afraid to get into it)
-Superman (it's about Superman being a dad, with a reverence to the character and his history that gives it all the kind of warmth you'd want from a Superman book)

And those are just the uncontroversial ones. Those are big crowdpleasers. Those are the ones most people will agree on. The rest kinda depends on what kind of things you're into, but, it's all worth checking out.

Cool I'll just grab some from comiXology. I think I'd like green arrow and black canary seemed cool too at least in the game

Not sure if we've had this one but it's awesome and worth posting again anyway:

I appreciate they're keeping Swampy present in Rebirth, even without a book and tbf as much as I'd like a Swamp Thing title out there, if there's no *take* right now that warrants it, I think this is a better way to handle the character than to put out an uninspired wheel spinning book.

Li Kao

Not sure if we've had this one but it's awesome and worth posting again anyway:

I appreciate they're keeping Swampy present in Rebirth, even without a book and tbf as much as I'd like a Swamp Thing title out there, if there's no *take* right now that warrants it, I think this is a better way to handle the character than to put out an uninspired wheel spinning book.

How was the last mini ?

How was the last mini ?

The Len Wein one, I haven't read that sorry! That kind of fell in the cracks between the nu52 and Rebirth, and I have a bunch of trades from around then i haven't got to yet. I was asking about it recently though and folks seems to feel it was a perfectly fine throwback mini but nothing get super excited over.

Oooh baby that CMX image sale is nice

Edit:aw it's for comics before January of this year. Bummer. But for the already reduced collections that code stacks with the discounted price. Woah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom