• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

There aren't enough hours in the day to get all the overwatch skins and dances. Fuck. More money.
Anniversary celebration where all the skins are 3000 coins and the dance emotes aren't in the regular boxes, no new character or map for comp. today we celebrate buying loot boxes. I've been hoarding coins, will probably just not get most things and avoid spending money. Sym skin is a must, maybe Lucio.

There aren't enough hours in the day to get all the overwatch skins and dances. Fuck. More money.

Thank god NRS won't do something like that with I2. After the Multiverse with Wonder Woman movie gear is done the gear will just be added to the normal loot box system so you can still get it all.

Hitch takes 2 issues off JL, Abnett and DeFalco does them instead.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #23
Written by TOM DEFALCO • Art by TOM DERENICK and TREVOR SCOTT • Cover by PAUL PELLETIER and TONY KORDOS
The League takes on an extremist anti-terror group led by a dangerous fanatic named Black Flag. But by trying to stop him and his paramilitary team, is the League actually making the world less safe from terrorism?

jl23new67lk7.jpg

JUSTICE LEAGUE #24
Story BY DAN ABNETT • Art by IAN CHURCHILL • Cover by PAUL PELLETIER and SANDRA HOPE
Continuing the ocean-shattering events of Aquaman #25, the League confronts Mera, who is desperate, reckless and emotionally exhausted by what's happened to Arthur Curry. And when she shows Arthur's teammates exactly how powerful she is she does not hold back! This special tale is written by Aquaman writer Dan Abnett!

jl24newidlp8.jpg

Anniversary celebration where all the skins are 3000 coins and the dance emotes aren't in the regular boxes, no new character or map for comp. today we celebrate buying loot boxes. I've been hoarding coins, will probably just not get most things and avoid spending money. Sym skin is a must, maybe Lucio.

Welp, if I hadn't quit Overwatch months ago, I would certainly quit it now.

Vic_Viper

Never used DCBServices.com before and I just placed an order. 3 out of 4 books were preorders and used the monthly shipping option. How will they do the order? Will they wait till all 3 preorders are out to ship or will they ship them one by one? Will the 1 book thats already out come now or will they also wait to ship it? Im not in any hurry, just wondering how it works? Somehow it was cheaper to go this route.

skybald

Never used DCBServices.com before and I just placed an order. 3 out of 4 books were preorders and used the monthly shipping option. How will they do the order? Will they wait till all 3 preorders are out to ship or will they ship them one by one? Will the 1 book thats already out come now or will they also wait to ship it? Im not in any hurry, just wondering how it works? Somehow it was cheaper to go this route.

I never placed an order but I am 95% sure they will ship all at once

Dalek

Infamous Iron Man is seriously great. This is part of the "Good Bendis" collection.

There's so many moving pieces right now-I have no idea where this is heading.

Infamous Iron Man is seriously great. This is part of the "Good Bendis" collection.

There's so many moving pieces right now-I have no idea where this is heading.

We'll get the Ultimate universe back in January of next year to mark the 2 year anniversary of its death. /s

Still revisiting some of the new 52's dark line. I've been batting between Animal Man and Swampy, but I pulled out Demon Knights vol 1 today, and this book is just such a blast. The opening with the fall of Camelot is epic, then it jumps forward to the darks ages and there's just all sorts going on - dinosaurs, mechanical dragons, town sized fire balls, with characters like Etrigan, Vandal Savage, Xanadu,the Shining Knight and a dark ages Amazonian in the thick of it, and it's just really fun. One minute it's dark, another it feels like Cornell is channelling Conan, and then it's just get really silly and funny. The plot doesn't slow down for long which means Cornell has to kind of squeeze in the character moments but it's an exciting fun book to follow, you don't really know what's going to be on the next page. Diogenes Neves turns in some really great work too.

How can you not get a kick out of a book with this panel:

I really like the launch period of the new 52 as well, before they lost their shit, and it felt like they were coming up with this well thought out mythology for the universe that interweaved. You could read these books alone but hey Xanadu is in JLD as well, there's plot threads from Demon Knights that are related to modern day happening in Stormwatch, and more that kind of tied things together in a fun way. We know how that turned out, but still.

Still revisiting some of the new 52's dark line. I've been batting between Animal Man and Swampy, but I pulled out Demon Knights vol 1 today, and this book is just such a blast. The opening with the fall of Camelot is epic, then it jumps forward to the darks ages and there's just all sorts going on - dinosaurs, mechanical dragons, town sized dragon balls, with characters like Etrigan, Vandal Savage, Xanadu,the Shining Knight and a dark ages Amazonian in the thick of it, and it's just really fun. One minute it's dark, another it feels like Cornell is channelling Conan, and then it's just get really silly and funny. The plot doesn't slow down for long which means Cornell has to kind of squeeze in the character moments but it's an exciting fun book to follow, you don't really know what's going to be on the next page. Diogenes Neves turns in some really great work too.

I really like the launch period of the new 52 as well, before they lost their shit, and it felt like they were coming up with this well thought out mythology for the universe that interweaved. You could read these books alone but hey Xanadu is in JLD as well, there's plot threads from Demon Knights that are related to modern day happening in Stormwatch, and more that kind of tied things together in a fun way. We know how that turned out, but still.

I really need to get this trade.

WONDER WOMAN: Her Kinky Origin Story — Issue At Hand, Episode 17

CMX EU bestseller list:
1. The Flash #22
2. Batman #23
3. Secret Empire #2 (of 10)
4. The Wicked + The Divine: 455 AD #1
5. Star Wars #31
6. Superman #23
7. The Mighty Thor #19
8. Invincible #136
9. Teen Titans #8
10. The Wild Storm #4

I really need to get this trade

The nice thing is it's just a short run, so it's not hard to buy up. Two trades with Cornell, then they ran a final volume with Venditti which takes them to Hell to meet Lucifer and that was that. On one hand, it's a shame it didn't last long but on the other it's a cool 3 vol thing that's like "this was a thing!" and easy to pick up and reread.

A safe choice, I'd rather Bennett tbh. Something new.

Now that Future Quest has wrapped, I'd like to see Parker and Shaner get a shot at WW. With someone like J Bone doing the alternate arcs.

Honestly, maybe it's just Simone's N52 Batgirl stuff coloring my perception, but I'd also strongly prefer Bennett to Simone on WW.

Her first WW run wasn't anything special. The best part was the team up issues between arcs.

arkon

The month to month pacing got me, as with a lot of new 52 titles. Everything just felt so drawn out and insubstantial to the point of annoyance. I think I lost patience with Demon Knights when there was an issue (4?) where it ended pretty much as it started as some big attack was commencing. The rest of it was some flashback with Ystin?

It looked like Star Wars in shitty and with more colors.

And yes, I know that It was an inspiration for Star Wars.
so, Star Wars except good
The month to month pacing got me, as with a lot of new 52 titles. Everything just felt so drawn out and insubstantial to the point of annoyance. I think I lost patience with Demon Knights when there was an issue (4?) where it ended pretty much as it started as some big attack was commencing. The rest of it was some flashback with Ystin?

I wanted to like DK but it was so hard to get into. Wonder if it reads better collected

I wanted to like DK but it was so hard to get into. Wonder if it reads better collected

Oh that's interesting, I didn't have any issues reading it in trade. Right enough though, as a trade it's effectively a graphic novel centered around them holding the line ala 300. For me that works as a trade, but I could see how 6 months into the book, that could feel dissatisfying. That's kind of my main problem with the medium in general though, and why I read everything in trade, so I'm kind at a different angle to most of you guys on that.

And yea, the bulk of either issue 3 or 4 is mostly made up the knight's vision and doesn't really move the story on in the present moment of the tale. It builds that character and the lore in an effective manner though.

At heart though I think it's a book with an interesting plot and lore that tells it in a pretty fun manner with the tone it closes to take. It definitely is not the strongest character piece I've read before, and usually that will rub me up the wrong way with a book, but I dunno. I just find a good portion of the cast quite likeable and I like the setting so I find it easy to slide into and run with. I think if the book took itself super seriously I would be far less impressed, but since it's part comedy I dig.

Wanderer5

You guys think Comixology or a similar place will have a Wonder Woman sale around the release of the movie? I might check out a digital copy of Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol 1 sometime, cause I read that book at my local library and really enjoyed it.

Also, here is a shot of my Artfx+ Spidey. Gotta say, I really like the more classic eyes that they have with this figure.

Vic_Viper

Going through Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD after dropping it when it was on the air originally. About half way through now and I really like what they are doing with the 3 Arc season. Feels like they are doing a comic for TV and is super refreshing since the last few seasons seemed to drag on, like most shows that are 23 episodes. Really hope they bring this format back for Season 5.

Did they ever introduce Gorgon in the show? I dont remember him but it seems like they would have by now. Im talking about this Gorgon btw and not the Inhuman Gordon:

latest

I know they had a blind Inhuman in one of the last few seasons but I hope that wasnt the Gorgon.

tim1138

You guys think Comixology or a similar place will have a Wonder Woman sale around the release of the movie? I might check out a digital copy of Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol 1 sometime, cause I read that book at my local library and really enjoyed it.

I would be amazed if there isn't a Wonder Woman sale on CMX starting next Tuesday.

Also, here is a shot of my Artfx+ Spidey. Gotta say, I really like the more classic eyes that they have with this figure.

I just got the DC Cover Girls Platinum statue in the mail today. I'd almost bought her back when Midtown had her on clearance, but I held off for some reason. Finally found a place that still had her in stock for a halfway decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom