• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever / do you use the Steam controller?

Nymerio

I use it almost daily. It's amazing to control my pc when I'm watching movies on the projector and it replaced all my other controllers for games that are better with a pad.

jobrro

Bought one in the first few months but never really used it. Seemed cool but I mostly play console friendly games that are easy to use a regular gamepad on or I will just plain play on console. Current PC setup isn't on a TV so I just use KBM with PC orientated games like Cities Skylines.

I would like to give it a proper chance someday, it seems cool.

Not a fan of it.

Trying to play GTAV with it an random things happen. Recording starts for example.

Could do with a joystick next to the trackpad.

lazygecko

Not as much as I had hoped. The main problem is that if there isn't official Steam controller support for a game, then analog input will not work unlike an Xbox or PS controller. Major drawback I wish I had known about before I got the damn thing.

Oreoleo

Not as much as I had hoped. The main problem is that if there isn't official Steam controller support for a game, then analog input will not work unlike an Xbox or PS controller. Major drawback I wish I had known about before I got the damn thing.
Am I misunderstanding you? This isn't true at all. If a game supports Xbox controllers you can use analog input with the Steam controller just fine.

I use it every day. Mostly as a remote for couch pc control though. Rarely play games where it truly shines at the moment, but I find it essential otherwise.

Qasiel

I bought one and used it for about a week, trying to play Sonic Generations and the configurations kept erasing themselves so I put it down. Only picked it back up a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to play some Rocket League and my ps4 controller I usually use for it was in a different room. Worked pretty well for that.

I like the concept, but for things like Cities: Skylines I'm just used to using a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller. Maybe I'll get used to it, though.

lazygecko

Am I misunderstanding you? This isn't true at all. If a game supports Xbox controllers you can use analog input with the Steam controller just fine.

It didn't work at all for Skyrim.

Well, what I mean is that it "works" as in it recognizes the input, but it is still completely binary like moving with a keyboard, so you can't regulate the intensity of the input.

Rathorial

Bought one on release, and still have one today. I haven't had much recent use in the last couple months just because I haven't been playing many controller-centric titles where I could enhance them with a touchpad+gyro. I've also been gaming more at my desk just because of work + game dev project stuff, and not much on the couch where it shines playing PC-centric games.

Still hope Valve pushes for more support, makes it easier to share/rate good user control schemes, and does a better job tutorializing best practices for using the pad. I mean this thread already has people who think the controller can't do certain X thing, or at least weren't aware it could do Y thing.

I feel like it and the Xbone Elite pad are all the gamepad I need for any title out there.

Sadly no. I was really interested in buying one at first, but then I bought an Anniversary DS4 before they ran out of stock, and I liked how it worked with DS4Windows. Then they added native support on Steam and I was golden.

Slythe

Yes, I got it last year as a Valentines Day present and have used it to play through through Sonic Adventures, Mass Effect, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 SotFS.

Honestly it's my preferred souls controller because my fingers naturally rest on the bumpers instead of the triggers, and for that matter the bumpers feel a lot more solid and tangible that the X1 controller. The gyro aiming worked well for Mass Effect but I don't think I would use it for first person shooters. Wanting to try RE4 next.

Aklamarth

For fixed precision is worse that mouse + keyboard, and as a regular pad is worse than 360/XB1 or PS4 controller.

Not really enough compelling reasons to buy one....

Oreoleo

It didn't work at all for Skyrim.

Well, what I mean is that it "works" as in it recognizes the input, but it is still completely binary like moving with a keyboard, so you can't regulate the intensity of the input.

Sounds like it was operating in mouse and keyboard mode instead of being set as a game pad.

Durante

I use it all the time, in almost all cases where I use a controller.

There are only very specific games where I use different devices, particularly 2D games which are d-pad dependent.

For everything else that I play with a controller (e.g. all kinds of third person action games and JRPGs) I use the Steam Controller.

Kthulhu

I use it all the time, in almost all cases where I use a controller.

There are only very specific games where I use different devices, particularly 2D games which are d-pad dependent.

For everything else that I play with a controller (e.g. all kinds of third person action games and JRPGs) I use the Steam Controller.

Turn off requirement to click in the settings and set the haptics to medium. Becomes an awesome d+pad then.

I have one but never really use it.

The pad isn't good enough for me for FPS games, I just went back to using mouse and keyboard even from the couch. Since it's a no go for FPS I just use a DS4 for games that are better on a normal gamepad since I prefer that. Without the mouse look the controller loses all its appeal to me.

I bet some people who are more patient and better at games than me can make use of it well, I just couldn't get the hang of it.

swarley64

Yes, I had a good experience playing point and click adventure games with it. I also tried to play isometric RPGs and turn-based strategy games with it... That was very clunky and not really worth the effort of rebinding everything. I don't recommend it.

martino

waste of money in my case. Not fan at all of touchpad.
I'm now on xbox one elite controler and will stay on that for a while.

Budi

Yeah I use it, took me some time to get comfortable with it. Two of the latest games I've completed with it are Walking Dead S3 and Bayonetta. Next will be Vanquish. I'm digging the controller.

Qiot

Neo Member
Had one for ages, but I barely use it despite trying a few times to get accustomed to the feel.
Two biggest complaints are lack of a proper D Pad and the fact that I have to take my right hand off the grip for my thumb to reach the 'X' face button.

The software side is both a blessing and a curse. I love the idea of something being so configurable but the grumpy "just want it to work out of the box" part of my brain just ended up being annoyed by the amount of fiddling required.

I bought one on sale but I just didn't like how it felt in my hands. It's like the grips were poking into my palms.
I like the idea of it a lot though, so I've been keeping an eye out for a revision.

Best controller ever. I cant go back to any other controller.

I see that most of the guys here dont know that you can aim using the controller's gyroscope, which is the best feature.
Aiming with the touch pad is awful, that's why you guys not enjoying the controller.

jadjei

Have one but I've been using my Xbox one controller recently because of NBA 2K. I can't dribble the ball well with the steam controllers touch pad.

Though I love using it for playing Elder Scrolls V.

MaDKaT

Picked one up with my SteamLink when they were both $20 however we just use it for our media PC and use a DS4 for the SteamLink.

Pachimari

I've had it ever since it first released, and I've never really used it. I just couldn't get used to it. The ergonomics felt strange, and the trackpads did not feel comfortable at all while moving around the camera in first person or your character in third person. I didn't help that I got a Xbox Elite controller the same day, which I am now using.

I tried using it twice. Once with miderate successes in a playthrough of Going Home and another less successful attempt with Just Cause 2. The haptic feedback was a nice try but the constant need to re-center your right thumb only showed how inferior touch controls are at this point.

gafneo

Banned
It was fun to tincker with when trying 100s of games with it and remapping to no end. After novelty had warn off, the Xbox One controller is still the best way to play. It's reliable and works with pretty much anything.

I've seen it mentioned here or there but I am most interested in how this works for strategy games. Could I play, like, EUIV or Civ6 with this thing with relative ease? (After getting used to it)

gaiages

Banned
I don't, because we have a bunch of wired 360 controllers and for the games we play, it's just... easier to use them lol. I'll probably look into selling mine myself, and maybe just buy a ps4 controller adapter instead :p

It's a concept that screams potential, but I could never get it to click with me. I always felt that I would be more effective with a traditional controller when playing games.

I would end up using what time I had to play with tinkering with settings instead of playing and that frustrated me a lot.

A second revision with better ergonomics and a more casual friendly approach to setting it up and using it and maybe Valve could get it to a good place.

terrible

Banned
It's a pain in the ass to use for some games but it's still the best controller I've ever used. When I say it's a pain sometimes I am specifically talking about games that don't allow you to use joystick+mouse at the same time and have terrible acceleration curves that make the mouse-like joystick setting unusable. Those games can die in a fire.

Kuosi

Love it, use it most of my games, more than I use my xbox elite, the gyro is amazing, sure it takes time to get used to but once you do it's hard to go back to the standard ones

dugdug

Banned
Just finished the first Witcher game with it, and found it to be a decent replacement, as, i don't really like m+kb.

SpotAnime

I bought it at launch and think I've only used it twice...

For normal use there's just no reason to use it over an X360 controller. For edge cases it's come a long way but still not what I had hoped. I used it for Republic Commando and the aiming was a bit jumpy. And I used it for the Atari Vault but you can't spin with the trackball setting, which is what I was hoping for in Tempest.

It's also very bulky, so I don't find it that comfortable. I think it still needs to bake, but it seems Valve has given up on it and just supported DS4 instead.

Kuosi

Can anyone tell me if the controller is compatible with Mass Effect 1 and if so, is it an a adequate replacement for k+m?

its compatible with literally every game, just run the game through steam and emulate k+m, while aiming is still not as good as it is with mouse, it still beats the crap out of standard controllers, the steam controllers gyro is amazing. it will however take some real time to get used to

I want to try this controller and it's very difficult to get an impression of what it's like. People seem to love it or hate it. I'm thinking it'll be a waste of money for me since I usually don't like gyro controls

TheRed

I actually prefer FPS as my favorite games to play with this controller. Titanfall 2 is just bliss with it, also Rainbow Six: Siege, DOOM, Battlegrounds. I have even won in Battlegrounds using it.

A big learning curve at first and lots of tweaking needed per game. But way worth it to me.

I have some vids saved with good gameplay showing how good it is.

TItanfall 2

Battlegrounds

Black Ops 3

Rainbow SIx: Siege

I've played hundreds of hours of games with this thing to get that good with it, it won't just click immediately coming from other controllers. Man it feels great when it does though. I recommend it to anyone willing to give it some time.

Depends heavily on the game.

It's all I play Dark Souls with, and going back to a "regular" controller for Bloodborne is annoying. Any third person shooters I'll play using it, like Resident Evil Rev 2, and any single player FPS's that I happen to play are for the Steam Controller as well (though, to be fair, I don't really play a whole lot single player)

Multiplayer FPS, I'm not good enough with it yet to supplant my mouse and keyboard.

Bayonetta, however, which gets a lot of play time from me, is strictly a Switch Pro Controller game for me.

EDIT:
I want to try this controller and it's very difficult to get an impression of what it's like. People seem to love it or hate it. I'm thinking it'll be a waste of money for me since I usually don't like gyro controls

It is love it or hate it. Now, by "gyro controls", what gyro based aiming games have you played? 3DS Zeldas/Resident Evil? Splatoon? Or are we talking PS3 Sixaxis type stuff?

Yes, I used it and still have it but I despise it in just about every way. For me, the idea of it is/was great but it feels like a prototype that is far from a release candidate.

The Xbox One Elite controller is all I need.

Top Bottom