• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever / do you use the Steam controller?

Veal

Aiming with the trackpad is all about trackball mode with relatively low sensitivity and low trackball friction. Low sensitivity for aiming, low friction for quickly turning about. It takes time to get accustomed to it but when it clicks you will never go back to traditional gamepads.
Yes!! Funny enough, that's the same input mentality that drives Kid Icarus Uprising, except on a touchscreen. Thinking of KIU helped me adjust to the Steam Controller, which is funny because both of them seem to be highly divisive among those who "get it" and those who don't.

For what it's worth, the bumpers are supposed to click on the outside edge, not the inside - because your index fingers are meant to be resting on them.
If you use your index fingers for the triggers, you're going to have a bad time with the Steam Controller. It puts your hands into the wrong position and will be uncomfortable.

If the buttons were any lighter, I think I'd be pressing them all the time just when holding the controller or when using the gyro.
Same thing with the touchpads.
Eh, no matter where I press the bumpers they're still just stiff as hell. Messing with it just now, I think another thing that bugs me about them is that they're just stiff enough that I feel an uncomfortable sensation in my wrist, and I've never had issues with carpal tunnel with any keyboard, mouse, or controller in my life.

And the bumpers, touchpads, and grip buttons could all be substantially less stiff before the weight of my fingers resting on them (or moving across them on the touchpads) would cause accidental presses. My hand is constantly resting on my mouse when I'm at my work PC, but they don't cause accidental clicks, even though the mouse buttons only takes the tiniest of bits of effort to click.

I haven't found anyone online who has tried it, but I'm very temped to disassemble the controller a little bit to see if it's possible to tweak the bumpers so they activate with less pressure. Either adding a bit of foam somewhere, or shaving a piece down or something. The Steam Controller often seems to be on sale (it's currently $35) so I don't think it's too much of a risk to try something. I just need to find one of those hexagonal screwdrivers to get it open.

I configured the perfect generic FPS/TPS setup last night. I can tweak it on a per game basis.

The main feature that's used that makes it so fucking good is adding gyro aiming when my right thumb is on the right pad. Makes headshots feel so good.

I'm currently playing Wolfenstein New Order with the Steam Link and Steam Controller. Very awesome experience.

It's pretty great for the Truck Sim games if you don't have a wheel etc. due to the amount of inputs you can bind and the quality gyroscope in the thing.

Nabs

I configured the perfect generic FPS/TPS setup last night. I can tweak it on a per game basis.

The main feature that's used that makes it so fucking good is adding gyro aiming when my right thumb is on the right pad. Makes headshots feel so good.

I'm currently playing Wolfenstein New Order with the Steam Link and Steam Controller. Very awesome experience.

Wolf is a blast with this controller. Like you said, headshots feel so good with the gyro. DOOM is another game that feels right at home with the controller. It feels amazing to be able to hop around and adjust your aim so fluidly without a m/kb.

Wolf is a blast with this controller. Like you said, headshots feel so good with the gyro. DOOM is another game that feels right at home with the controller. It feels amazing to be able to hop around and adjust your aim so fluidly without a m/kb.
Yup. I used it with DOOM as well. Very good.

dsk1210

Crysis plays really well with the controller as well.

Top Bottom