• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever / do you use the Steam controller?

Nabs

For everything but Multiplayer FPS games and Fighting games (lol that GIANT D PAD)

Disable click on the d-pad and fighting games become a breeze. I'm not saying I'd use it for FGs (I prefer a stick), but it's surprisingly good.

I use it for games where analog movement is useful - in particular, it's been quite handy in Yooka-Laylee, to the point where the camera people complain about is mostly a non-issue because I'm always in control at literally any time without sacrificing any other functionality. I use M&K for FPS games and such and either my 8Bido SNES pad or my Switch Pro for digital input, but for non-digital controller stuff, the Steam Controller is my go-to controller.

Jazzem

Disable click on the d-pad and fighting games become a breeze. I'm not saying I'd use it for FGs (I prefer a stick), but it's surprisingly good.

Aye, honestly I'd say disable click for any game where you're primarily using the dpad.

Pulled it out because of this thread and Valve still hasn't fixed the SC on Mac yet. Do not buy one if you only have access to macOS - it's a total waste of money.

Aiming with the trackpad is all about trackball mode with relatively low sensitivity and low trackball friction. Low sensitivity for aiming, low friction for quickly turning about. It takes time to get accustomed to it but when it clicks you will never go back to traditional gamepads.

JimboJones

I'm not super into it, I gave it a go with half life but it wasn't really doing it for me, but I have to say it is pretty useful for older games that don't have great controller support, there is generally lots of config's set up by the community.

Doesn't fit properly in my hand, is 1000x shittier to hold than xbox controllers. I only use it to turn on my steam link at this point. I forced myself to use it for starpoint gemini 2, it was serviceable but dear god it sucks compared to the xbox controller for usability.

Keyboard is surprisingly good for fighting games, I also prefer a stick but man I never ever screw up full circles and such on a kb.

I've never tried the steam controller I mostly don't use normal controllers (I still will use a wheel/pedals or fighting sticks but that's different) outside of console, and when I do I just use a ps4 or xbox controller.

It's what I primarily use on PC. I can't blame people for giving up on it, as it took me over a year to find the perfect configuration settings. Not the hardware's fault, though. Valve kind of just threw it at the community and expected us to figure out how to use it properly. However, when you do find those right settings, it is a dream to play.

From the get-go, it's already more comfortable than keyboard + mouse, but on top of that, I find the trackpad can be set up well enough that the disadvantage between mouse is negligible if you only play games casually. And of course, leagues beyond an analog stick. Yeah, aim assist has cleaned up the gap in recent times, but if I can get close to mouse performance without any hand-holding through a comfy controller, I'll take it.

I did end up buying some DS4s for couch co-op, and the few games I really want to play but refuse to cooperate with the Steam Controller. Otherwise though, I'm always using it, even in PvP games like Overwatch, without any struggle. I actually filmed a clip of me playing DOOM that I'm proud of. Actions speak louder than words, after all!

Aiming with the trackpad is all about trackball mode with relatively low sensitivity and low trackball friction. Low sensitivity for aiming, low friction for quickly turning about. It takes time to get accustomed to it but when it clicks you will never go back to traditional gamepads.
Really good post. A 135° degree cone of view from the left to the right of the pad is perfect, IMO. I also personally prefer to turn off smoothing, and any other setting that filters input. It makes a huge difference, and I've no idea why Valve cranks it up so high by default.

I had one for a little bit. I hated it. It required too much tinkering with settings for me. I quickly sold it and went back to my Xbox One controller.

Zia

I liked it but never really used it as I have an XB1 Elite controller. I'd like to give it another go once they improve the build quality, which I expected by now.

vermadas

For most games I use a XB1 elite as I prefer the ergonomics, but for FPSs the Steam controller is amazing. I still use it all the time in Overwatch.

Justinh

Using my steam controller was my preferred way to play Civ V. I haven't played it in a long while though, so my Steam controller has just been sitting in a closet.

I keep wanting to try it out with older isometric games like Fallouts 1 and 2 and Planescape. I prefer an Xbox One controller for more standard "controller games."

Ploid 3.0

I use it very often, I don't even think about it anymore. I'm too used to it. I use both pads for games like Blade and Soul, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Saints Row. Movement on the left, and mouse look on the right pad. I feel like I can do street fighter motions better on the touch pad better than a dpad, and it doesn't hurt my thumb after extended use.

It took a while to adjust to it, but it was worth it for me. The only problem I have with the controller is steam. Some games (non steam games) take a lot to get it working. Also because it's a overlay, some stuff that I use overlay for causes problems (skyrim enb, rivatuner, and so on).

Diablo 3 with steam controller
Blade and Soul with the controller

Also with fine aiming you want to incorporate the gyro mouse look. It helps a ton, it's amazing actually.

Graciaus

I use it but I don't have the time to really learn how to configure it. The two extra buttons on the back I love and are why I stopped using the 360 pad.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I used to use it constantly in Rocket League. The Dual-stage triggers made it such that I could boost whenever I wanted to, and the left analog stick felt way more reactive than both 360 and ds4 pads. Unfortunately, all the double jumping required seems to have been the reason that my 'A' button completely stopped working.

I sent it in and they sent me a replacement, but with normal gaming use + another 100 to 200 hours of Rocket League the replacement's 'A' button ceased functioning in exactly the same manner.

At first, totally fine; then, the button would get caught and double jump immediately before it was possible to rotate and do any type of flip; then, the button would get caught but wouldn't read the second press at all; then, becoming less and less likely to register a press up to the point that it completely ceased to operate.

I really do like the controllers, but I'm 0-2 with them so I've just moved back to the faithful 360 pad. It doesn't react as quickly to left stick movement, and the right stick is extremely sensitive, but the buttons all work.

I really hope they release a revision.

dcx4610

Bought the bundle and I think it's one of the worst contollers I've ever ever used. The touchpad is interesting but only useful for mouse movements and even then, I think I'd rather use an analog stick. The triggers are also super loud and clunky.

The controller is pretty comfortable to hold and the one analog stick is decent. I think ideally it should have two analog sticks, a dpad and a tiny touchpad for mouse controls.

Stick with an XB1, 360 or PS4 controller.

Armaros

Bought the bundle and I think it's one of the worst contollers I've ever ever used. The touchpad is interesting but only useful for mouse movements and even then, I think I'd rather use an analog stick. The triggers are also super loud and clunky.

The controller is pretty comfortable to hold and the one analog stick is decent. I think ideally it should have two analog sticks, a dpad and a tiny touchpad for mouse controls.

Stick with an XB1, 360 or PS4 controller.

If they did that then what's the point of making a controller to play PC games that don't use standard controller functions if you just make it a standard controller?

Speely

Banned
I use it all the time. Love it. Once I got used to the right pad, it became my favorite controller. I only use a mouse for mp FPS games anymore.

Using it for Rocket League, isometric CRPGs, and 3rd-person ARPGs of late.

Paragon

It's the most comfortable controller I've ever used, and is so much better for the majority of games than dual-analog controllers.
It will never replace keyboard & mouse, but is not meant to.
It's for setups where a keyboard & mouse are not a practical option, or when you would rather sit back and use a controller; e.g. to play a relaxing game of something like Civilization.

I'm very surprised to see quite a few people complaining about the ergonomics.
I have a suspicion that people expect to hold it a certain way - perhaps like a standard controller - which is not how it was designed.
I love that I can remap most games so that I never even have move my thumbs away from the touchpads to use the analog stick or face buttons, keeping all actions immediately accessible.
My hands cramp up badly after a short amount of time with any of the dual-analog controllers.

Most of the complaints I've seen really come down to people being frustrated that it's not a regular controller.
Which is the point.
Dual-analog controls are bad. You're just used to them.
The problem is that a lot of people don't seem willing to give the Steam Controller a chance.
If they're not immediately better at all games when they first pick one up, it must be a bad controller.

Really, the only time I ever run into issues with it are when developers make poor decisions with their input handling.
It's frustrating when the controller itself is such a great input device, but then you have games where the button labels are constantly switching, which don't support simultaneous gamepad + mouse controls, or games which have no way to disable acceleration for their analog inputs.

But I don't really consider that a knock against the controller when it can handle so many other games that you wouldn't be able to play well with a dual-analog controller at all.
I don't consider it to be a flaw of the controller if a game developer is doing stupid things.
You run into those issues every so often when trying to play games with a keyboard & mouse too.

Depends heavily on the game.

It's all I play Dark Souls with, and going back to a "regular" controller for Bloodborne is annoying. Any third person shooters I'll play using it, like Resident Evil Rev 2, and any single player FPS's that I happen to play are for the Steam Controller as well (though, to be fair, I don't really play a whole lot single player)

Multiplayer FPS, I'm not good enough with it yet to supplant my mouse and keyboard.

Bayonetta, however, which gets a lot of play time from me, is strictly a Switch Pro Controller game for me.

EDIT:

It is love it or hate it. Now, by "gyro controls", what gyro based aiming games have you played? 3DS Zeldas/Resident Evil? Splatoon? Or are we talking PS3 Sixaxis type stuff?

Splatoon primarily. I think I'm just too old and set in my ways to adjust to motion controls. I'm too slow to make any adjustments with the gyro. I feel like by the time I aim with the stick and then try to adjust my aim with the gyro it's too late.

Ivan

I tried everything, but it's just not good enough for what I need.

It's nice idea, bad bad execution imo. Very bad in certain areas.

Boglin

I have used it as the sole input device on my computer for over a year and now every game I try with it is comfortable. My adjustment period was a few weeks and I also typically do not use the gyro, which speaks for the accuracy of the touchpads. Just to see if I could, I have designed things in both SketchUp and SolidWorks using the controller with success. However, it was much slower than m+k due to relying on the on-screen keyboard.

I have had some critical issues with crashing in the past, but that is a reflection of Valve's Big Picture Mode software and me using it in an extremely niche fashion, so not a problem the controller itself. In my opinion, this controller design is superior to dual analog by a very large margin, but the time for the average person to adjust to it and the perception that it is not necessary will prevent it from ever gaining any real popularity. Having to pick configurations for most games is also a large hurdle for most people.

My primary concerns with the controller is build quality and my preference in how the buttons feel. The shoulder buttons are very large, fragile and have a relatively high resistance while the face buttons are small and mushy feeling. For personal use I would like a real D-pad over the left trackpad although the trackpad offers more utility, so the decision for Valve to use it is understandable.

TL;DR
I use the Steam Controller almost exclusively, but it isn't intuitive and the build quality isn't the best.

I would buy a revision day 1.

I dare anyone to play BOTW for a bit and then try to go back to shooter controls without Gyro aiming, it sucks and feels like someone cut one of your hands, Steam controller is the only thing that has that for third party games.

Paragon

I dare anyone to play BOTW for a bit and then try to go back to shooter controls without Gyro aiming, it sucks and feels like someone cut one of your hands, Steam controller is the only thing that has that for third party games.
Perhaps the Switch version is different, but I thought that gyro aiming on the Wii U with the Gamepad was awful compared to the Steam Controller.
It had a big deadzone and was not very smooth at all.
The Steam Controller's gyro aiming is far smoother and more responsive - much closer to mouse-like aiming. The haptic feedback really makes a difference too.

Perhaps the Switch version is different, but I thought that gyro aiming on the Wii U with the Gamepad was awful compared to the Steam Controller.
The Steam Controller's gyro aiming is far smoother and more responsive - much closer to mouse-like aiming. The haptic feedback really makes a difference too.

It wasn't great on the Switch either. Splatoon 2 testfire was a bit better from what I remember, but still felt floaty compared to using the Steam Controller.

edit: On second thought, maybe I shouldn't say that it was better in Splatoon as I had a hell of a time trying to adjust to the controls in the limited time I had to spend with it, but at least you could crank the sensitivity up on it.

Oreoleo

It wasn't great on the Switch either. Splatoon 2 testfire was a bit better from what I remember, but still felt floaty compared to using the Steam Controller.

The problem with Nintendo's offerings is lack of customization. Being able to adjust sensitivity, dead zone, x/y axis ratio etc etc etc with the Steam controller is so far beyond what Nintendo allows it makes games like Star Fox Zero and the Splatoon 2 beta feel primitive and clunky in comparison.

Shawsie64

Banned
Greatest controller of all time IMO. I've used it so much on my home theater and TV both streaming with Link that I think I am as accurate as I was with M/KB.

Only thing that irritates me is bumper feel, feels a bit cheap.

I have 2 Links and 2 Steam Controllers, will buy the revision as soon as it comes out.

televator

How does this controller fair with games like The Witcher? That game had no controller support and it's kind of a pain in the ass for me to play.

Shawsie64

Banned
How does this controller fair with games like The Witcher? That game had no controller support and it's kind of a pain in the ass for me to play.

It works great. It shines with games that don't have controller support, you can find hundreds of configs for it for any particular game.

I really really REALLY want to get used to it and play PC games with it like some people are able to, but I have yet to be comfortable with it so that it's as comfortable to use as a Ds4 or Xbox One controller (for games with native controller support, of course).

The closest I've come so far is with using it on Mass Effect Andromeda, but for some reason I was getting input bugs like getting double presses (pressing X once and having it skip more than once line if dialog), or pressing and holding buttons wouldn't register right (I could charge up powers because it would fire them off immediately even while holding the bumper down).

I did use it for long enough that I was actually better at aiming with it than with dual analogs (gyro aiming is fantastic for fine tuning my aiming), but I had to make the decision to take the hit on accuracy in order for the rest of the buttons to function properly. :(

Im currently trying to use it with Wolfenstein The Old Blood, but it's a little hectic with all the fast action happening to also be learning the controller. I'm thinking of switching to a simpler FPS like Borderlands the Presequel so I can take my time with getting used to it and finding all the settings and sensitivities I like.

Something that would help make the controller 10x better would be if Valve put out a revision that made the buttons much easier to press, specifically the bumpers, but the grip buttons and pressing in the touch pads should be softer to press too. The bumpers are VERY stiff to me and, at least with how I hold the controller, I have to put so much effort into pressing them that it's distracting. It's not like Halo where I can just do a quick gentle press of the bumper to reload or switch grenades without thinking, it's like clicking them takes enough force that my hand is going to flex and move my thumb, so I can't use them for anything like grenade throwing or or other important abilities that I'll need precise aiming. Using my powers in Mass Effect Andromeda SUCKED on the Steam controller using the bumpers (even without the input issues). When I switched back to the XB1 controller it just felt so much better, like in was running with weights on my heels and I finally got to take them off.

I hate them so much I tend to rebind the bumpers to the grip buttons (also stiff, but at least I can use several fingers to press them more easily), and I religate stuff like flashlight, map screen, or taking a screenshot to them. It sucks because if they were better I would love to have important functions on them and different ones on the grip buttons so that I can move my thumb off of the trackpad less.

I love the concept of this controller so much, the ability to play practically any and all PC games with it is such a brilliant idea. It's so close to being perfect with all the configurations and stuff you can do and all the tweaks you can make to it. For me I really think it's he hardware issues I have with it (buttons being uncomfortable or way too stiff to press). If Valve ever fixes those problems in a revision it would make learning the controller much more of a joy instead of a chore and struggle like it currently feels.

TL;DR
I use the Steam Controller almost exclusively, but it isn't intuitive and the build quality isn't the best.

I would buy a revision day 1.

Well said. I too want a revision, something about the bumpers makes me hate using them. Two trackpads are a must though, they are incredibly useful for configuring them as a touch menu and mapping certain functions to them. Invaluable for traditional PC games with a large number of functions and keyboard shortcuts.

City 17

My go to controller for PC, apart from the odd occasion that I play FIFA with a 360 pad, and I used to rarely use anything beside m&kb before buying this thing, now it's the other way around, unless it's an RTS or a competitive shooter.

Paragon

Something that would help make the controller 10x better would be if Valve put out a revision that made the buttons much easier to press, specifically the bumpers, but the grip buttons and pressing in the touch pads should be softer to press too. The bumpers are VERY stiff to me and, at least with how I hold the controller, I have to put so much effort into pressing them that it's distracting. It's not like Halo where I can just do a quick gentle press of the bumper to reload or switch grenades without thinking, it's like clicking them takes enough force that my hand is going to flex and move my thumb, so I can't use them for anything like grenade throwing or or other important abilities that I'll need precise aiming. Using my powers in Mass Effect Andromeda SUCKED on the Steam controller using the bumpers (even without the input issues). When I switched back to the XB1 controller it just felt so much better, like in was running with weights on my heels and I finally got to take them off.

I hate them so much I tend to rebind the bumpers to the grip buttons (also stiff, but at least I can use several fingers to press them more easily), and I religate stuff like flashlight, map screen, or taking a screenshot to them. It sucks because if they were better I would love to have important functions on them and different ones on the grip buttons so that I can move my thumb off of the trackpad less.
For what it's worth, the bumpers are supposed to click on the outside edge, not the inside - because your index fingers are meant to be resting on them.
If you use your index fingers for the triggers, you're going to have a bad time with the Steam Controller. It puts your hands into the wrong position and will be uncomfortable.

If the buttons were any lighter, I think I'd be pressing them all the time just when holding the controller or when using the gyro.
Same thing with the touchpads.

I do agree that the grip buttons could be better.
It's a clever design, using the battery cover like that, but I'd prefer actual buttons.

City 17

I wanted to like it but analog stick simulation is terrible and m+k simulation fucks with games too much(menus etc.)

Stick simulation? If it was supposed to simulate the stick (and not trackball, which is almost the whole point of the controller), I'd not have used it even for free.

You haven't used the controller with the right mindset.

gypsie

Yea tried it a few times with various games using various configs but just went back to the DS4 constantly.

I do however adore the Steam Link - that thing work amazingly for me.

mxgt

Banned
I used it for The Witcher 3 but I could never get fully used to it and have gone back to the Xbox controller.

Does someone here want to upload like a default aiming config for shooters it never feels right for me. Maybe I'll run through Wolfenstein with the Steam Controller and give one last chance.

laxu

Does someone here want to upload like a default aiming config for shooters it never feels right for me. Maybe I'll run through Wolfenstein with the Steam Controller and give one last chance.

It already has a "mouse with gyro aim" template, I would use that as a starter or download a top rated community config. You might need to adjust sensitivities either in game or in the controller settings to make it fit how you play.

Top Bottom