• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

ElyrionX

I've heard talks of a standalone version sooner or later. With that said, is it really worth buying Arma II for this mod right now?

Petrie

Banned
Just want to bitch here too so I can feel better. Lol. Been waiting for the damn Steam sale on this game so I could try it out with you kids, only to have Steam yesterday start to refuse my money. Pisses me off. Is it as cheap anywhere else at the moment?

:(

Fucking steam wallet bullshit.

NFreak

Not sure if this has been asked yet and I didn't see anything about it in the OP but if I have the physical version of ARMA II, not the steam version, and I buy Operation Arrowhead, am I good to go or do I need both steam versions?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not sure if this has been asked yet and I didn't see anything about it in the OP but if I have the physical version of ARMA II, not the steam version, and I buy Operation Arrowhead, am I good to go or do I need both steam versions?

Good to go. Steam is by no means a requirement here. You should find out everything you need to know here.

I forgot about this topic so I'll ask here:

Before I get ARMA II I've got a few questions regarding DayZ. I recall reading that it's currently "broken" right now, is this true? And how is it broke? Also, I seem to remember some talk of it coming out as a standalone game at some point? Is there any truth to that?

RyanDG

Before I get ARMA II I've got a few questions regarding DayZ. I recall reading that it's currently "broken" right now, is this true? And how is it broke? Also, I seem to remember some talk of it coming out as a standalone game at some point? Is there any truth to that?

Rocket has said he wants to create a stand alone product. As for it being broken, I'm not quite sure what that's referencing. The biggest thing to remember about DayZ though is that it is a mod and that there's still a good side of jank to it. With that said, if a giant zombie sandbox with other players you can't trust (or can you?) sounds like a good time, it's definitely worth it IMO. To be fair though ARMA2 itself has a lot of redeeming qualities even without DayZ attached if you like realistic combat shooters that have a lot of tactical considerations (ala old school Ghost Recon).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Its not broken, its simply an early Alpha of a mod. So things can become broken quite easily with every new build they release, but theyre usually resolved quickly. As of this current build everything is pretty fine.

And yes the game is almost certainly going to become standalone and follow the Minecraft model, ie pay earlier at reduced rate and get access while under development, and so you will almost certainly have to pay another 20-30 bucks at the least when it does. The thing is though, the more people buy Arma 2 right now the more leverage and clout Rocket and his team will have to negotiate and demand for more funding and resources from BIS or whatever other studio he'll be working with on the standalone game.

Rocket has said he wants to create a stand alone product. As for it being broken, I'm not quite sure what that's referencing. The biggest thing to remember about DayZ though is that it is a mod and that there's still a good side of jank to it. With that said, if a giant zombie sandbox with other players you can't trust (or can you?) sounds like a good time, it's definitely worth it IMO. To be fair though ARMA2 itself has a lot of redeeming qualities even without DayZ attached if you like realistic combat shooters that have a lot of tactical considerations (ala old school Ghost Recon).

Yeah, that sounds excellent and I'd love to play along with GAF. Just wanted to be clear about a couple things, thanks!

Its not broken, its simply an early Alpha of a mod. So things can become broken quite easily with every new build they release, but theyre usually resolved quickly. As of this current build everything is pretty fine.

And yes the game is almost certainly going to become standalone and follow the Minecraft model, ie pay earlier at reduced rate and get access while under development, and so you will almost certainly have to pay another 20-30 bucks at the least when it does. The thing is though, the more people buy Arma 2 right now the more leverage and clout Rocket and his team will have to negotiate and demand for more funding and resources from BIS or whatever other studio he'll be working with on the standalone game.

I was originally thinking to wait for the standalone game before getting into but that will probably be quite awhile before it happens. Might as well jump in now.

The_Monk

Can I kindly ask if you guys believe there's a way of DayZ to run in such settings:

- i5 2.3 GhZ
- 4Gb 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thank you very much.

Mirk

I am really hoping he stay with Bohemia. From what I have played of Arma 2 and DayZ
this engine has a lot of potential.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am really hoping he stay with Bohemia. From what I have played of Arma 2 and DayZ
this engine has a lot of potential.

I think its overwhelmingly likely they'll stay with BIS. I mean they already work for them, he loves the engine itself and the whole company is very community/modding friendly and open to irregular ideas and not so player friendly mechanics.

The only thing I can think that would pull Rocket away from BIS would be some other publisher offering him significantly more money and resources than BIS can supply, which isnt so hard, but also giving him complete control over the entire project, which is less likely.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Well I picked up Operation Arrowhead and PMC. (already had ARMA II since launch).

Time to see what this is about.

Salsa

got it

friends suck and have jobs (omg how lame is that), so they barely play even thought they got it

Guess im up for playing with GAF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How the fuck do you play this game? So, I join a server. I'm all alone. Zombies are chasing me, but I give them the slip. I come across a vacant warehouse in an abandoned town, and I start looting. Haven't seen a human, yet.

Suddenly, I'm warped to the middle of a field with a pile of dead bodies and a bunch of human players, and I'm killed. This happens three more times.

Am I playing this right? This game is dumb. =P

Mirk

How the fuck do you play this game? So, I join a server. I'm all alone. Zombies are chasing me, but I give them the slip. I come across a vacant warehouse in an abandoned town, and I start looting. Haven't seen a human, yet.

Suddenly, I'm warped to the middle of a field with a pile of dead bodies and a bunch of human players, and I'm killed. This happens three more times.

Am I playing this right? This game is dumb. =P

that would be a hacker ruining your day ;)

Quikies83

Ugghh finally got to where I can join servers -- didn't realize that majority of the servers haven't updated to latest version yet. What is the gaf servers IP? I read US38 and but I'm seeing us3801 and nobody is responding to the chat -- I assume I'm on the wrong server.

The M.O.B

Ugghh finally got to where I can join servers -- didn't realize that majority of the servers haven't updated to latest version yet. What is the gaf servers IP? I read US38 and but I'm seeing us3801 and nobody is responding to the chat -- I assume I'm on the wrong server.

Our server is down atm, doing some fixing. Will be back up shortly.

Us 38 is the gaf server but its having " M.O.B" issues atm.

Quikies83

Right on. So I wasn't on the correct server earlier then?

Also, what is the yellow (and sometimes red) icon that pops up just off center to the right of the screen -- looks like a chain link?

Top Bottom