• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

stryke

sigh...getting a lot of errors with battleye and just found out it didn't install properly for operation arrowhead. To makes things worse, I can't reinstall it through steam, giving me some mumbojumbo about "This game is currently unavailable. PLease try again some other time"...anyone got ideas as to what i should do?

edit: nevermind...somehow fixed itself...

Soi-Fong

So on the Gaf server and I just found a tent in the forest that had a bunch of equipment!!!! Got me an Ak-74 and some ammo as well as canned beans, a cantine and some other awesome stuff.

Got pretty lucky just finding it!

Orayn

Alright, guys, I think I'm finally ready to dive into this... Any downside to being cheap and getting just Operation Arrowhead apart from Arma II Free supplying me with lower resolution textures?

KissVibes

Banned
So on the Gaf server and I just found a tent in the forest that had a bunch of equipment!!!! Got me an Ak-74 and some ammo as well as canned beans, a cantine and some other awesome stuff.

Got pretty lucky just finding it!

Heaven't you been in the Mumble channel this whole time? You should be more vocal :)

Soi-Fong

Oh yeah. I've been asking questions, but not much seem to answer so I've just kep to myself. Haven't been able to find anybody also so..

Ill post the instructions I used when I got Dayz.

Thanks! Actually i think it worked, since i could enter in a server for 3 minutes, before being kicked for too high ping...

The problem is that the server list, in the majority only shows servers locked or with a red cross :(

During night, this game is darker thank Tomb of Giants from Dark Souls o_O

And, how i am suposed to turn on my flashlight? I think i will have to play ARMA tutorial because everything is so cryptic!

Petrie

Banned
Before I jump in, is this playable (will I be able to survive) with a 360 pad? I know, KBM superior and all that, but I hate playing shooters with it so.

Ceebs

Was your pack full? If so that is a known bug.

Yeah, first time I actually had a pack full of stuff I wanted to keep so it was new to me. Lesson learned.

Salvaged the situation by replacing 3 of the 6 AK clips I lost from a random deer stand. Started the day with 8 clips finished with 5 without firing a shot.

Wthermans

Banned
Spent almost 6 hours trying to get this mod to run. Tried almost every "installation instruction", patcher, etc and still can't get the game to connect. Gives me a different error with every single installation method.

calder

Ill post the instructions I used when I got Dayz.

Wow, thanks for that, it really helped piece together the garbled instructions everywhere else.

Played for almost an hour, didn't find a single gun (but I had my choice of dozens of hatchets) and eventually ran into a town aggroing a few dozen zombies. Patched myself up then decided to kill myself to escape this dreary, gun-less town but that took a surprisingly long time. I guess I had broken a leg or something so I had to crawl to a zombie and the first two swiped at me a bit then wandered off lol.

J-Rock

Banned
I finally bought this today and I'm installing it now. Hopefully I don't run into any issues so I can join you guys soon.

Anyone here in US and on the east coast(FL here)? Need to find players in my timezone.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
First off, my visuals are VERY fuzy. You can't see far, at all. I don't know if this is just how the game is, but it seems like it's not, from other screenshots I've seen.

Secondly, I have a lot of trouble just joining servers. It, so often, stalls on "Loading" or "Creating character blah blah". What am I doing wrong?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why do people fear me? First set of survivors I have seen in the last 2 days, being chased by zombies they run into a supermarket, I call out to them and they run away.

J-Rock

Banned

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Jumped on the GAF server and Mumble and had some fun last nite. :)

Just wish the guy running away from 3 zeds and had an AK would have
used it on them and not me. Seriously, this guy guns ME down rather
than the zeds! Life in DayZ. :/

Soi-Fong

Oh my freaking lord. No wonder I've never met one other human! This map is ridiculously huge! What do I do? How do I find people

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Really? I've "met" about 4 other players so far with my second char. Albeit, by "met" I mean I've seen them from afar. Just see them crawling in the grass, but must admit afraid to approach them since I'm having a hard time trusting anybody in game so far and I've managed fine on my own and I haven't even fired off a shot yet from my ak-74 (and I have 3 clips!).

You'll more than likely run into people in towns.

Dacvak

Plissken

Took me around 30 minutes to get everything up and running, and another 15 to actually get into a server, but this is quite fun so far. First character I made didn't get far; I started near a fairly large town, ran in, and got taken down by a couple zombies pretty quick.

Second character I was more careful, found a small town and managed to loot a double barrel shotgun, some food and drink, and a compass, watch, and hatchet. Thinking I was badass, I wandered into another big town, and proceeded to the top of a granary. While trying to lean over an edge to see where some Z's were, I fell off, broke my leg, and bled out while zombies swarmed me.

Can't wait to start my third character!

Soi-Fong

Took me around 30 minutes to get everything up and running, and another 15 to actually get into a server, but this is quite fun so far. First character I made didn't get far; I started near a fairly large town, ran in, and got taken down by a couple zombies pretty quick.

Second character I was more careful, found a small town and managed to loot a double barrel shotgun, some food and drink, and a compass, watch, and hatchet. Thinking I was badass, I wandered into another big town, and proceeded to the top of a granary. While trying to lean over an <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">edge</a> to see where some Z's were, I fell off, broke my leg, and bled out while zombies swarmed me.

Can't wait to start my third character!

You're luck you found a compass. I have no idea where the hell I am in the game. I went inland from Electro and from there I don't know where i"ve ended up.

Dacvak

You're luck you found a compass. I have no idea where the hell I am in the game. I went inland from Electro and from there I don't know where i"ve ended up.

That's my problem as of now, and it's a real turn-off. The allure of this game is the idea of this dynamic human interaction. Is it possible to find someone you trust? The problem is, I can't find any other human. And as far as I know, there's no easy way to communicate with them if you DO find them.

I really want to play with a community, like GAF. Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to have that much fun with this game. It'll end up playing more like a single-player game.

Salsa

Did the GAF server just get hacked?

just got the thing

I rule at timing

That's my problem as of now, and it's a real turn-off. The allure of this game is the idea of this dynamic human interaction. Is it possible to find someone you trust? The problem is, I can't find any other human. And as far as I know, there's no easy way to communicate with them if you DO find them.

I really want to play with a community, like GAF. Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to have that much fun with this game. It'll end up playing more like a single-player game.

Its obviously way better when you already start with people. Im sure once the server is back we can all jump in at the same time

stryke

I've read that the gaf server is US38 but when I filter I get us380 or us381? Just starting out and would really like someone to show me the ropes to the game...

Soi-Fong

A while ago it was Cherno or Electro, the whole city was burning, like literally burning. Then someone said on Mumble they though that they saw someone flying a jet and somebody else driving an Escalade looking car. I couldn't help but laugh listening to this while I was trying to sneak into a barn with a crapload of zombies around it.

Flunkie

Banned

Mumble man. That's how I started off rolling.

stryke

Is there another way for the shaking to go away after being injured by zombies or is painkillers the only option. I couldn't kill off the zombies chasing me cos I was shaking too much :(

And cannot we not give ourselves blood transfusions? I had looted 3 blood packs off a dead body but couldnt use them...

cametall

Does downloading Six Launcher not do everything to install DayZ?

I installed via Steam then downloaded Six Launcher and I can select servers and join. Or is this not the ideal way to do it?

Hylian7

Did the GAF server just get hacked?

Yeah, I was there too. There was a really cool thing happening too. I was on the south end of the harbor in Electro, and I heard gunshots. I didn't know the area, so I started running toward the west end of the harbor, only to find that it was a dead end, so I had to go back through the industrial area, which was where I heard the gunshots coming from. Someone said on Mumble that the guy killing everyone had a sniper rifle now, so if he saw me, I was dead. Then suddenly I turned into a dog, then a gillie suit, and then I died, and so did everyone else apparently.

KissVibes

Banned
Is there another way for the shaking to go away after being injured by zombies or is painkillers the only option. I couldn't kill off the zombies chasing me cos I was shaking too much :(

And cannot we not give ourselves blood transfusions? I had looted 3 blood packs off a dead body but couldnt use them...

Sometimes you can leave a server then come back to the shaking having stopped. Otherwise, you will need painkillers.

Blood transfusions can only be done by a second person. I know the feel of thinking that's really dumb.

Soi-Fong

Sometimes you can leave a server then come back to the shaking having stopped. Otherwise, you will need painkillers.

Blood transfusions can only be done by a second person. I know the feel of thinking that's really dumb.

Well, there goes the end of me lone wolfing if I can't even transfuse blood for myself.. I will really need to meet up wth some gaffers who won't try to kill me as I get paranoid in game. As I've said, I've seen groups of players, but have tried not to approach them just watching from afar.

Only problem is I'm inland and have no effin idea where the hell I am in the game.

H13

going to join this game.
downloading arma2 free on steam now.
should i wait for price drop on operation arrowhead ,since right now is steam sales?

Soi-Fong

going to join this game.
should i wait for price drop on operation arrowhead ,since right now is steam sales?

If you wanna play, you need Operation Arrowhead to play DayZ so yes you should get it now.

Edit: Anyone here know if SSD's speed up the load times of the game?

KissVibes

Banned
Well, there goes the end of me lone wolfing if I can't even transfuse blood for myself.. I will really need to meet up wth some gaffers who won't try to kill me as I get paranoid in game.

Only problem is I'm inland and have no effin idea where the hell I am in the game.

Yeah, all you need to do is call out on the GAF server that you want to partner up with someone. I can't speak for any of you new players but the veterans are always down to posse up and help people out.

Just know that if you group up with MrWizard: Do not jokingly suggest you'll shoot him because he will shoot you first no matter what. He'll heal you of course but he just can't resist the temptation to shoot someone in the legs.

The next time you log in, on the right side of the screen it'll tell you vaguely what are you're in under Chernarus. From there you can roughly figure out how to get to a nearby town, if you're using a map off the internet and don't have one in-game.

Then, you know, just tell someone and they can group up with you.

going to join this game.

Buy Combined Operations on steam now. $17.99 is a GREAT price and I doubt it'll get any better. ArmA2 free has terrible performance issues compared to the paid version.

Anyone here know if SSD's speed up the load times of the game?

It will but server load times still kinda suck. Dayz isn't well optimized due to being a mod and neither is ArmA2.

stryke

Haha, having never seen a tent before, I thought I saw one miles away...then when I ran up to it, turned out to be a rock...

Top Bottom