• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Soi-Fong

Yeah, all you need to do is call out on the GAF server that you want to partner up with someone. I can't speak for any of you new players but the veterans are always down to posse up and help people out.

Just know that if you group up with MrWizard: Do not jokingly suggest you'll shoot him because he will shoot you first no matter what. He'll heal you of course but he just can't resist the temptation to shoot someone in the legs.

The next time you log in, on the right side of the screen it'll tell you vaguely what are you're in under Chernarus. From there you can roughly figure out how to get to a nearby town, if you're using a map off the internet and don't have one in-game.

Then, you know, just tell someone and they can group up with you.

Buy Combined Operations on steam now. $17.99 is a GREAT price and I doubt it'll get any better. ArmA2 free has terrible performance issues compared to the paid version.

It will but server load times still kinda suck. Dayz isn't well optimized due to being a mod and neither is ArmA2.

Ah thanks for the input. Those flares I found should be of good use now if I log in next time and it's dark.

Welp, I've been gaming since I was about 6 years old and I am 32. In all of those years I've never had a heart pounding moment when I was seriously scared. I just played Day Z for the first time and holy shit, my goodness. That is all that I can say...

Soi-Fong

Welp, I've been gaming since I was about 6 years old and I am 32. In all of those years I've never had a heart pounding moment when I was seriously scared. I just played Day Z for the first time and holy shit, my goodness. That is all that I can say...

Welcome to Chernarus. Hope you enjoy your ("pleasant") stay. :)

Welcome to Chernarus. Hope you enjoy your ("pleasant") stay. :)

I don't even know what to think right now. Like, I don't have any idea where to go, where to find weapons, the controls, etc., but I am in awe. I am still shaking. I haven't ever experienced this in gaming and I don't intend to sound hyperbolic but I mean it.

Soi-Fong

I don't even know what to think right now. Like, I don't have any idea where to go, where to find weapons, the controls, etc., but I am in awe. I am still shaking. I haven't ever experienced this in gaming and I don't intend to sound hyperbolic but I mean it.

I'm just like you. Still new at it. First thing to do (as always in real life as well) is get food and water as well as any weapon you can get your hands on. Pretty much first thing is go into town and get a canteen (you can only fill up on ponds and such, not the ocean since it's salt water) and get canned foods as you will more than likely not find any supplies in the wilderness. Towns though hold a lot of zombies, but learn the controls and such and you should live long enough to at least not die from "fighting" with the game's controls and such. Like what was posted in the first page. Watch this. It helped me a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvoXrpGIa0&list=PL7F43EFC8C6616D2F&index=32&feature=plpp_video

After you're comfortable start looking for other stuff and just survive (in some case, by any means necessary if you decide to go that route).

cametall

So a friend and I got DayZ finally. The load times can be very very long, but I got into the server.

My friend sat at the "Loading" screen for a good 10 minutes and it never loaded for him. His computer went into hibernation and he just gave up for the night.

Is it normal for some people to have that long of a load time? His PC is on par with mine (modern) and he has the same high speed internet that I do.

you do start with one actually. press g, and right click the flashlight and remove from toolbelt, then scroll wheel to select it. Turn it on with L if i recall

lol I think I am screwed though, I ran blindly into town cause I couldnt see and was getting chased by zombos. This is what I get for just jumping straight into the game XD

What way of voice chat are you guys using when playing with friends? (i know to use mumble when playing with GAFers)

Flunkie

Banned
lol I think I am screwed though, I ran blindly into town cause I couldnt see and was getting chased by zombos. This is what I get for just jumping straight into the game XD

What way of voice chat are you guys using when playing with friends? (i know to use mumble when playing with GAFers)

Making them get Mumble.

Hylian7

8BC678D7FA053CB029CFCF5430685975C5FE5442

I had previously logged out here, and when I logged back in, I found this. I couldn't grab the pistol and ammo either, because it was barely above my head.

KissVibes

Banned
Thanks guys. Its just because I am going to be playing with two non-GAFers so I wouldnt know how to setup mumble just for us (nor do I think GAF would want two outsiders? lol)

Maybe I do xfire or just plain ole skype

Bring your friends to mumble!

If you want to work just as a three man unit, a sub-channel can be created.

zon

You're luck you found a compass. I have no idea where the hell I am in the game. I went inland from Electro and from there I don't know where i"ve ended up.

That's my problem as of now, and it's a real turn-off. The allure of this game is the idea of this dynamic human interaction. Is it possible to find someone you trust? The problem is, I can't find any other human. And as far as I know, there's no easy way to communicate with them if you DO find them.

I really want to play with a community, like GAF. Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to have that much fun with this game. It'll end up playing more like a single-player game.

To you two and all the other newcomers, here are some suggestions for you to consider:

1. Always pay attention to the white text in the lower right corner when you log into a server.

2. From there, check your map to figure out where you are. If you have spawned a character for the first time, use http://dayzdb.com/map to find out where you are.

3. Go to either Chernogorsk or Elektrozavodsk and do not leave until you have the following items:

• Compass
  • Map
  • Matches
  • Hatchet
  • Hunting Knife
  • Larger backpack (a Czech or ALICE backpack will do)
  • Bandages, morphine and painkillers
  • Weapons and ammo
  • 2-3 cans of food and water bottles/soda

You will probably die once or twice before you get all this, either to other players or zombies, but keep trying until you have it all.

4. When you are done, choose a place you want to visit on the map and make your way there. There are certain areas that are more likely to have other players in them so if you decide to go there you should expect to that other players will be hiding somewhere in that area. Either outside of the town with sniper rifles or inside the buildings, either way they are likely to start firing if they see you. The most popular destinations are Starry Sobor, Novy Sobor, Balota, Berezino, Gorka and last but not least NW Airfield.

5. Try to survive as long as you can. Have fun!

KareBear

Same thing just happened to me.I started out without a gun.Playing a game I was never more scared after I first saw a zombie or more relieved after I found a gun.

abusori

Why do people fear me? First set of survivors I have seen in the last 2 days, being chased by zombies they run into a supermarket, I call out to them and they run away.

Hahahaha, that was me and doppleganger! I saw "you at the store" or something and I yelled RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN at dopple and we just bailed all the way to the airfield.
Then some guy tried to snipe us from Krasno on our way west, but we got away. But...a hacker killed us at the damn dam, so the day ended on a sour note.

big_z

question about steam. if my steam login id is pepsi but i want to play as coke does changing the community name change everything people see except the login? what about profile links does it become http://steamcommunity.com/id/coke or will it still be pepsi but the profile name will change.

slightly off topic i know but i have an old steam account with some games but the username is an email and i rather not have it shown.

Kritz

Banned
question about steam. if my steam login id is pepsi but i want to play as coke does changing the community name change everything people see except the login? what about profile links does it become http://steamcommunity.com/id/coke or will it still be pepsi but the profile name will change.

slightly off topic i know but i have an old steam account with some games but the username is an email and i rather not have it shown.

Your Steam ID name is never used as a username / nickname in games. Your community name is usually the name used in games that support it. In games that don't support it, you will need to specify your name or the game will work out a name for you.

Arma 2, and by extension DayZ, work out your name by using your Windows login name as your default name. So if your login name on your computer is "MikeDickerDongs", that'll be the default name in DayZ. My computer login name is "Admin", so when I first logged into DayZ, people thought that I was trying to phish them. So that was funny.

To change your Arma 2 / DayZ name, you need to go into the profiles menu option from the main menu of the game, and create a new profile with your desired name. As far as I can tell you can not change the name of the default user created by Arma 2.

All profiles in Arma 2 will log into the same DayZ character. That is to say, you can only have one DayZ character. But if you have multiple profiles you can change your character's name by creating / modifying profiles.

Hope this helps.

Arment

Logged into a server north of Stary Sobor and there's a fully functional bus, broken car and functional bike parked up on the hill I'm on.

One of our friends got teleported to debug plains and just got out so we hopped into the bus to go pick him up. On our way we found a helicopter and I found a M1A4 CCO and a M107.

My friend didn't want either, so I got them both. We found another helicopter shortly after and it had a FN FAL. The gun my friend wanted so badly! So he got it. We picked up our friend and drove back to Stary Sobor. I went into the tents and found ammo for my sniper rifle (there was none with it). Then I shot the bus' engine twice with the sniper and it blew up.

This all happened after dieing in the NW airfield and losing a Kobra and Night vision goggles last night when I logged in by myself on a whim.

Big plans for tomorrow.

big_z

Your Steam ID name is never used as a username / nickname in games. Your community name is usually the name used in games that support it. In games that don't support it, you will need to specify your name or the game will work out a name for you.

Arma 2, and by extension DayZ, work out your name by using your Windows login name as your default name. So if your login name on your computer is "MikeDickerDongs", that'll be the default name in DayZ. My computer login name is "Admin", so when I first logged into DayZ, people thought that I was trying to phish them. So that was funny.

To change your Arma 2 / DayZ name, you need to go into the profiles menu option from the main menu of the game, and create a new profile with your desired name. As far as I can tell you can not change the name of the default user created by Arma 2.

All profiles in Arma 2 will log into the same DayZ character. That is to say, you can only have one DayZ character. But if you have multiple profiles you can change your character's name by creating / modifying profiles.

Hope this helps.

tanks. just needed to be sure my steam login id doesnt show up elsewhere. good to know about the arma character naming. probably saved me some googling there. arma 2 purchased.

KAP151

Christ, I am so far in over my head with this game.

I have yet to even get a weapon.

Everytime I think I am there, a fucking zombie pops up out of nowhere. Grrr. I am keeping my 'ear' to 0 and my 'eye' to 1 maybe 2..I scope area and it seems clear, then fucking BAM!

Any tips for a newbie?

J-Rock

Banned
So yeah... there is a bit of a learning curve here. Spent almost an hour just getting the controls figured out. Had to reconfigured a bunch of buttons cause I'm a lefty. Finally got the basics down, movement and climbing basically, then I saw a person running with a sniper rifle and being chased by zombies. I had no weapon so I was kind of nervous this guy was going to run up and kill me. He killed the zombies and I saluted and danced around to show that I was friendly. We slowly figured out how to type chat on the proper channel and then figured out how to voice chat on the proper channel. The guy was actually cool and we ran together for a long time. He gave me his sniper rifle and said I was the first person he ever met and that he just bought the game today. Then I got kicked for no reason. So it was pretty frustrating getting set up and figuring out the controls, I still have a lot to learn with those, but I met my first person after about an hour of playing and the guy turned out to be nice. I expected things to go differently after reading the horror stories on here. Shame I'll never see him again. Wish this game had a friends list.

I'm really hoping to play with some of you guy because being able to voice chat while playing makes this experience ten times better. I'm guessing I need to download Mumble and jump into DayZ server US 38 and hope I run into some of you.

Kyaw

Just finished installing everything, can't wait to get on the server and play with you guys over voice chat!

US server ping is quite high though as I'm from UK.

Kyaw

Is GAF server night time right now?

I literally can't see anything except the stars. Not sure if glitch or actually that dark.

Nuborn

So installing the beta patch, do I install the very latest version or is there a preferred version that most servers run on?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Well, picked up the game... and I absolutely hate it, oh well. lol Ran around for 10 minutes and didn't see anything, the head bobbing also was starting to make me sick.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, picked up the game... and I absolutely hate it, oh well. lol Ran around for 10 minutes and didn't see anything, the head bobbing also was starting to make me sick.

I turned that all the way down to only a slight head bob. I like it but the the realistic setting it's at. Turn it down.

legacyzero

Banned
ewww. turn that shit off.

I had to turn it almost completely off as well. It was giving me the worst headache. Turning it really low, or of completely made the experience alot better.

OR you could travel in 3rd person view like I do if that kind of feature is available.
Yep. One of the most tense experiences in gaming IMO.

legacyzero

Banned
So I just jumped on the GAF server and there were only like 4 people on it,

And it was PITCH DARK outside. What the fuck? Since when is it dark in Texas at 9am?

RyanDG

So I just jumped on the GAF server and there were only like 4 people on it,

And it was PITCH DARK outside. What the fuck? Since when is it dark in Texas at 9am?

Gaf's server's time is changed so that the evenings are actually daylight since that's when most people play.

legacyzero

Banned
Currently downloading Arma 2: CO. What server do I join for gaf?

US 38 TEXAS. Exactly like that :)

It'll say "Hosted by NeoGAF.com" at the end. Dont forget to join Mumble! Lest you get savagely murdered by a fellow Gaffer.

I have the free version of Arma II from GMG. Possible just to buy OA and still play DayZ?
Yes, but it's not as good, and as I understand it, more of a pain in the ass to get working.

You have 2 and a half hours to pick up Arma II CO for $18 on Steam right now. I actually think it's for a few hours after the new sales (or recap sales) go up.
I'd say it's worth it, as getting started on the mod is a huge pain in the ass process anyway.

EDIT: well depending on your understanding of said process.

zon

only if you play on the sissy servers where the map shows your location

if you plan on the proper (for real men or women) servers the map is just a map and you need a compass to get your bearings

I hadn't even considered that to be an option when he said a compass is pointless. Those servers are a joke.

H13

i download everything from the first post
the first time i go into the game ,it said addons dayz_anim requires addon CA_Dubbing_Counterattack
and i tried to go in to the server(the multiplayer)
it said battleeye initialization failed.what i did wrong?
Ill post the instructions I used when I got Dayz.

and i follow this instructions.anyone can help?

This must be a case where you need to play a game to get it.

I've tried watching streams to see if it's for me, and while I'm not an action fiend by any means I've watched at least two hours of streams (while working etc.) and most of the time it's people walking around the wilderness ignoring zombies.

Top Bottom