• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Lucario

I'm playing Scion in EDH, 1 dragon in over 2 years is a bad rate.

Is this only counting Standard sets? If so... yeah, it's been bad. Six dragons total in the last nine sets sucks. None of them made the cut in my list, I hate the idea of exerting scion.

But supplementary formats have been insane! We got a tutorable instant speed Wheel of Fortune in Runehorn Hellkite, a Karmic Justice on legs in Scalelord Reckoner (not to mention a great replacement for Thunderbreak Regent), and (IMO) the best single-card scion target ever with the Ur-Dragon itself.

I'm liking Boneyard Scourge a lot too. It's definitely not the most efficient way to clog up the board, but it's nice to have a blocker after getting wrathed, especially with stuff like Kindred Discovery and Dragon Tempest.

Reading Maro's article, and does anyone get the impression design handed over a file of nothing to development for this set or something? Not a single major mechanic was done, none of the tribal mechanics were sorted and the only thing that seems to have stuck are the double faced lands and the pirate ships.

We've actually seen this kind of thing before; for sets where there's a strong but very general theme (in this case tribal, though stuff like multicolor is similar) and a faction split, the individual mechanics don't do that much to hold together the set and they tend to get churned more by development. (Contrast this to stuff like Theros or Scars, where either they need to carry through the design mechanical structure pretty hard or else hit some really uncomfortable snags later in the process.)

(And yeah, it doesn't help that they lost two different design mechanics to other sets.)

Scryfall now le's you sort by EDHRec rank too which is an amazing feature.

I'm curious since I know what kind of weirdo searches I run but I'm clearly a pretty atypical user: what else would be good to search/filter/sort by in a card search engine?

Yeef

I'm curious since I know what kind of weirdo searches I run but I'm clearly a pretty atypical user: what else would be good to search/filter/sort by in a card search engine?
Scryfall doesn't let you reverse the sort order (descending rather than ascending) as far as I can tell. That always seemed a big weird to me.

There are plenty of things that they could add to sort by, but I don't think would see much use. Year, frame, artist, card type, mana 'weight', etc.

Is this only counting Standard sets? If so... yeah, it's been bad. Six dragons total in the last nine sets sucks. None of them made the cut in my list, I hate the idea of exerting scion.

But supplementary formats have been insane! We got a tutorable instant speed Wheel of Fortune in Runehorn Hellkite, a Karmic Justice on legs in Scalelord Reckoner (not to mention a great replacement for Thunderbreak Regent), and (IMO) the best single-card scion target ever with the Ur-Dragon itself.

I'm liking Boneyard Scourge a lot too. It's definitely not the most efficient way to clog up the board, but it's nice to have a blocker after getting wrathed, especially with stuff like Kindred Discovery and Dragon Tempest.
They count, which then also includes conspiracy 2 as a miss. I don't like Scalelord Reckoner personally, from C17 I added Ur-Dragon and Boneyard Scourge.

Yeah exerting scion is subiptimal but Glorybringer one of the most efficient dragons you can run. Flameslash on a stick is really good.
I'd love to be able to search by art (all cards with the same artwork) as well as search by modern/legacy rankings.

I first look for cards from legacy and modern before looking at what people do in EDH. Imo it's a much better gauge for power level.

I'm almost wondering if the 2 Mana Catalog effect is good enough for Modern in some form. 2 Mana Draw 2 in any kind of Midrange/Aggro deck that wants the card advantage.

Like, it naturally lends itself well to something that's always attacking.

It's on my list of playsets to pick up. It's a 1 mana draw two with Baral out. I can dig it.

Santiako

Red has an absurd amount of good removal and sweepers this standard at all points in the curve. Shock/Magma Spray, Abrade/Harnessed/Strike, Sweltering suns/Unlicensed Desintegration, Chandra, Glorybringer/Hour of Devastation.

The other colours are shameful in comparison.

red13th

I think it's funny that these two cards are right next to each other when you sort by collector's number:

179.jpg
180.jpg

(I really like Carnage Tyrant)

I think it's funny that these two cards are right next to each other when you sort by collector's number:

(I really like Carnage Tyrant)

Hell, I still really like Colossal Dreadmaw in Limited. He may be completely worse than Carnage Tyrant, but he's still going to shit on blokes with the middling removal options available.

I'm surprised I have't seen the 1/1 with raid that gets a +1/+1 counter yet on the beta
Red has an absurd amount of good removal and sweepers this standard at all points in the curve. Shock/Magma Spray, Abrade/Harnessed/Strike, Sweltering suns/Unlicensed Desintegration, Chandra, Glorybringer/Hour of Devastation.

The other colours are shameful in comparison.

it's truly ridiculous. There's such an abundance I think I'm going to take out lightning strike from my board. PW aren't the biggest issue right now for me so I don't really need the direct damage.

Rommel

This Saturday is my first Pre-Release event. I'm excited to get beat down :)

I also preordered a couple booster boxes I get on the 29th. Fingers crossed for the Cradle, Jace or Tyrant. Pre-ordered the rest of the flip cards but didn't want to pay the $20 a card for Cradle.

Justin

This Saturday is my first Pre-Release event. I'm excited to get beat down :)

I also preordered a couple booster boxes I get on the 29th. Fingers crossed for the Cradle, Jace or Tyrant. Pre-ordered the rest of the flip cards but didn't want to pay the $20 a card for Cradle.

Wow talk about jumping all the way in!

If you are new to the game you might want to check out the first 45 minutes or so of this video. It's from the pre-prerelease and it shows someone opening their prerelease box and showing how he builds his preeelease decks. Then afterwards there's 5 hours of matches using the Ixalan cards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1ESNK5ckI

Rommel

Wow talk about jumping all the way in!

If you are new to the game you might want to check out the first 45 minutes or so of this video. It's from the pre-prerelease and it shows someone opening their prerelease box and showing how he builds his preeelease decks. Then afterwards there's 5 hours of matches using the Ixalan cards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1ESNK5ckI

Not my first go around. I started playing in 1993 but took a long 20 year break :) came back just after hour came out. Although after seeing Arena I think that might be my go to once it's polished. Now that I'm Karrie it's harder to regularly hit up my local card shop.

alternade

So I just ordered all the singles I need from IXN. Only thing I didn't spring for were the planeswalkers and Carnage Tyrant. Feels so good to only pay $100 for a new set rather than cracking boxes upon boxes.

Excited AF to play Marath Dinosaurs EDH, add more vamps to the C17 decks, and play with Cradle-lite.

Scryfall doesn't let you reverse the sort order (descending rather than ascending) as far as I can tell. That always seemed a big weird to me.

Yeah this is definitely a bit odd.

I'd love to be able to search by art (all cards with the same artwork) as well as search by modern/legacy rankings.

Where do you get modern/legacy rankings from?

For everything but basic lands you can get pretty close on the same-art thing by searching by artist, I think.

Already getting owned by Spell Pierce. WotC shat all over control that isn't approach with Ixalan.
Where do you get modern/legacy rankings from?

For everything but basic lands you can get pretty close on the same-art thing by searching by artist, I think.
you can circumvent the lack of searching by artwork pretty easily. I'd still like to skip the hassle.
Search by artist then a ++ in front will give you all prints of a card. Still annoying when you're looking for a particular basic land.

modern legacy rankings would have to be sourced from mtgtop8 or goldfish or the like.

Lucario

mtgo beta update:

I'm being told that I was never in the program in the first place, despite quoting the "you are officially in the MTGO Beta!" email at them like five times.

how the fuck

mtgo beta update:

I'm being told that I was never in the program in the first place, despite quoting the "you are officially in the MTGO Beta!" email at them like five times.

how the fuck

It's a shit show. I've had to go to the forums multiple times to get them to add me back to the mailing list. How do you even lose people from a mailing list?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
search "essential EDH cards" for a list of the most commonly played Commander cards. There's also a site where you can see what the most popular cards for every Commander is, to get some ideas
For starters, consider getting Mimic Vat because it's a cheap card, goes into everything, very good and it's also just hilarious. Isochron Scepter, because chaining Condemn or just Ponder every turn is fun and incredibly annoying

since you're playing tribal, you'll absolutely want Door of Destinies and Coat of Arms, if they're aren't in the base deck already. Cauldron of Souls, Selfless Spirit, if you want your creature-heavy decks to survive a board wipe or two

Thanks!

Copenap

I've noticed that the Commander 2017 decks have gotten a littke harder to find around here. Do these usually run out of print or is this just a temporary thing?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've noticed that the Commander 2017 decks have gotten a littke harder to find around here. Do these usually run out of print or is this just a temporary thing?
Maro said they'll print more

barbecube

* Merfolk focused on prowess, which did mean testing prowess in green. There were multiple issues, including prowess being weird in green, spells matter diverting from the tribal theme, and them feeling prowess is too complex in large numbers at common.

EDIT: BTW, if anyone is unfamiliar with any of those terms, feel free to ask.
It's a real bummer that prowess, one of the coolest mechanics in modern MTG, keeps getting cut from sets for weaksauce reasons. This isn't the first time after prowess's evergreening that it was weirdly absent from a set...sigh

They used to be unlimited print runs but that changed with C16 IIRC.

From what I understand they didn't actually change them to the single-order/limited-run model technically, but MM3 moving up to March sucked up some store dollars that could've gone into reorders and then they got cut off much faster than previous decks due to the slot moving from November to August.

DrArchon

Marionette Jank 2.0. I think I am happy with the creatures now. Still tweaking the sorceries and instants. Metallic Rebuke maybe??? The goal is to just stay alive long enough so that Marionette Master resolves with 3 or 4 treasures on board.
https://deckstats.net/decks/90385/811922-marionette-jank-2-0?share_key=zKLNtVR0pS4EIvDk

Hmm. It'd say it's definitely jank lol.

Have you considered splashing white for Hidden Stockpile and some Servo making spells? They're cheap ways to make more artifacts, and in the case of Stockpile it's very easy to trigger Revolt with Treasure tokens.

Justin

Hmm. It'd say it's definitely jank lol.

Have you considered splashing white for Hidden Stockpile and some Servo making spells? They're cheap ways to make more artifacts, and in the case of Stockpile it's very easy to trigger Revolt with Treasure tokens.

Not sure about Stockpile. The only thing I want to be spending treasures on is triggering the Marionette Master, casting Vraska or paying for a Push if needed. I feel if Marionette Master resolves and I don't have enough treasures to finish them off then its game over so I want to use them sparingly.

DrArchon

Not sure about Stockpile. The only thing I want to be spending treasures on is triggering the Marionette Master, casting Vraska or paying for a Push if needed. I feel if Marionette Master resolves and I don't have enough treasures to finish them off then its game over so I want to use them sparingly.

Fair point. In that case, I'd 100% go for Metallic Rebuke to keep yourself alive until you can get your combo off. Also, how about some more disruption, like Duress? Nothing beats that for making sure your opponent can't react to your creatures.

I feel iffy about Deadeye Plunderers though. You say you want to kill via Marionette Master + Treaser Tokens, but Deadeye Plunders feels like it's too expensive to help with that. You have to spend 9 mana for it to give you 1 treasure token. I like that it can get pretty big with enough treasures on the field, but I'd rather have lots of cheaper creatures that make treasures for free when they die/ETB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I played around with Marionette decks. The problem is that it costs too much to actually cast Marionette Master and not enough stuff actually makes treasure. It's all pricey stuff.

The problem is that the best card to repeatedly make "treasure" is still Tezzeret. I can't see not running Deadeye Plunderers - it's like an 8/8 for 5 that buffs itself.

DrArchon

I have to keep Deadeye Plunderers because its my alternate win con if I dont draw a Marionette lol

Fair enough. A big body is a big body and that counts for something.

Last suggestion I have is Lookout's Dispersal. You're basically running Pirate tribal, and it's another counterspell to keep you and Marionette Master alive. With enough Pirates in the deck it's better than Mana Leak.

Heading to my first pre-release on Saturday and I don't have any sleeves. Any recommendations on Amazon?

Edit: Maybe I should just buy some sleeves while I'm at the LGS. I assume they should have some.

Justin

Speaking of jank decks, here's what I'm thinking for a jank Favorable Winds deck.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/favorable-pirates-2/

I like the idea of cheap anthems + evasive creatures, and there's a couple of cool flying pirates to try out, like Kitesail Freebooter. I also want to try out Skyship Plunderer + Jace and see if that helps out with how squishy he is.

Turn 4 Jace ultimate would be awesome. The tokens come in with 3 loyalty right?

DrArchon

Turn 4 Jace ultimate would be awesome. The tokens come in with 3 loyalty right?

Checked the rules just now and yep, the Jace copy tokens come into play with 3 counters on them, regardless of how many counters original Jace has on him at the time he makes them.

Which means I can safely kill off Jace once he gets to 5 Loyalty on turn 4 in Magical Christmasland. And then I can do it again with one of the Jace Tokens to make even more Jaces.

Top Bottom