• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Dlent

Just finished the DLC, and I must agree that free was the only appropriate price for it. Besides the gripes mentioned in the last page, I actually did enjoy the boss fights and new environments, but it resolved the story of the Ark in probably the messiest way possible. I guess it opens it up to a lot more wild speculation, because there's no way to know if there will ever be any more story for Gravity Rush.

leng jai

Finally motivated myself to get through chapter 11 and 12. Camera was an absolute shitshow throughout. The game would need to be 9/10 from now on to be worth enduring those two terrible chapters.

There is a new option where you can take Raven into the mines instead of Kat. She can't use talismans, of course, but more stones and gems appear for her.

Dove right back into Delvool as Raven, and was made to repeat the layer 30 challenge before I could go further. I really get the feeling layer 32 was meant for Kat, lol

This (end of chapter 3 spoilers)
mutated Kali Angel boss is pure nightmare fuel O_O, this looks like something out of Parasite Eve

I honestly didn't see that coming lol.

Just finished all of the main missions in the game. Did all of the side missions and got golds on all the challenges.

What a ride, such a beautiful experience of a game. While it has some minor flaws you can tell that so much love went into making this game ;_;

The final chapter
was so damn good though. The end basically makes you lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot lol. Loved the credits sequence as well flying around as Raven

edit: Who woulda thought the team behind Siren would end up making such a heartwarming series lol.

maouvin

C75PODqXUAEwXSF.jpg
Koyorin

Griss

Picked it up in the EU sale - 29 euros is perfect for this, as I'm someone who loved the first game as a Vita game for its charm and because it was astonishing to play such a game on a handheld but who also felt it had a lot of gameplay flaws that needed correcting and would need to be hugely 'expanded' in terms of content and quest design to be a worthy full-fat console game.

I'm coming from Zelda and then Horizon, so the poor game has basically an impossible task living up to either of them, and my standards are probably sky-high at the moment.

Anyway, two chapters in and I have to say it's been a super-weak opening in everything but the tone of the dialogue / story, which is still cheerful and upbeat like the first. The descent into the mines as some faceless miner was such an odd choice to begin the game with. There was no tension or interest there at all. The focus is on in-game dialogue, but the game struggles with in-game dialogue as it's not properly voice acted. Without being properly voice acted, the dialogue can't build up the tension the scene requires to hit home, nor the real nature of the banter between the characters. Just a really weird, boring start.

Since then it has just been running dull errands on the flotilla. I'm fine with a slow start in general, and that's what this is, but surely they could have made this more interesting. Whatever caused Kat to wind up here - THAT'S what the game should have led with, rather than just referencing the actually interesting event and showing us the boring stuff.

It's too early to say, but so far the gameplay feels identical to the first one, especially ground combat and gravity kicks. That'll be a huge disappointment if it remains the case.

Still cautiously optimistic but it's a poor start.

Picked it up in the EU sale - 29 euros is perfect for this, as I'm someone who loved the first game as a Vita game for its charm and because it was astonishing to play such a game on a handheld but who also felt it had a lot of gameplay flaws that needed correcting.

I'm coming from Zelda and then Horizon, so the poor game has basically an impossible task living up to either of them, and my standards are probably sky-high at the moment.

Anyway, two chapters in and I have to say it's been a super-weak opening in everything but the tone of the dialogue / story, which is still cheerful and upbeat like the first. The descent into the mines as some faceless miner was such an odd choice to begin the game with. There was no tension or interest there at all. The focus is on in-game dialogue, but the game struggles with in-game dialogue as it's not properly voice acted. Just a really weird, boring start.

Since then it has just been running errands on the flotilla. I'm fine with a slow start in general, and that's what this is, but surely they could have made this more interesting. Whatever caused Kat to wind up here - THAT'S what the game should have led with, rather than just referencing the actually interesting event and showing us the boring stuff.

It's too early to say, but so far the gameplay feels identical to the first one, especially ground combat and gravity kicks. That'll be a huge disappointment if it remains the case.

It definitely has a slow start. I liked it because it presents the game in a "day in the life of Kat" sense and that's one thing I enjoy about the series. I understand it won't fly for a lot of people. As far as the gameplay? If you can wait it out it'll be worth it. They heavily improved just about every aspect of the combat and traversal. You get some other abilities late reply on that add a lot of variance.

Use more stasis fields. There is almost no situation where gravity kick is better.

Griss

Its an objectively honest sequel, if you weren't hankering to play a much longer gravity rush with higher highs and lower lows that's what you have ahead of you.

I certainly never signed up for lower lows, and thought the move from handheld to console would cause a considerable increase in mechanical complexity as well as 'game feel quality', which would include camera quality

You make it sound like it'll be more of the same all the way through. That's not an awful thing, psr se - I like the first game well enough despite the gameplay flaws. And being honest I suspected that this was the case from the demo which is why I didn't buy the game at full price. But so far (3 chapters in now) it absolutely feels like a Vita game that was ported over rather than something on the scale of Horizon, Zelda, FFXV, The Last Guardian etc (which are the most recent games I've played). People say that there are no mid-tier budget games left but so far this game feels firmly like one of them.

Laws00

So I got my Gravity Daze 2 The Complete Guide

it comes with the dlc "original item for photo mode, you also get a DLC code with which you can download three kinds of additional talisman for the game."

anybody know if this code is region locked to the jp PSN store or it's universal?

I certainly never signed up for lower lows, and thought the move from handheld to console would cause a considerable increase in mechanical complexity as well as 'game feel quality', which would include camera quality

You make it sound like it'll be more of the same all the way through. That's not an awful thing, psr se - I like the first game well enough despite the gameplay flaws. And being honest I suspected that this was the case from the demo which is why I didn't buy the game at full price. But so far (3 chapters in now) it absolutely feels like a Vita game that was ported over rather than something on the scale of Horizon, Zelda, FFXV, The Last Guardian etc (which are the most recent games I've played). People say that there are no mid-tier budget games left but so far this game feels firmly like one of them.

I assume you mean you are three episodes in, as the game has a total of four chapters. You are a few episodes away from reaching chapter 2, if I'm reading your comments correctly.

The game opens up in a big way at that point and just keeps getting bigger from there.

EDIT: So who wants to see some failure?

Since we have people who haven't finished the game yet, I have to warn that any Delvool videos are firmly in spoiler territory. But yeah, here's a bunch of fail:

Delvool 30-32
Delvool 32-33
Delvool 33-34
Bonus: Glitched Delvool 34

tsundoku

Man I just bashed my way through the Raven DLC and took a look at those acheivements.

I didn't get hit a single time during the Unrivalled part of the acheivement but it didn't trigger.

Not going to go back for bad stealth mechanic achievements anyways.

Didn't really answer any of the questions I wanted answered but the environments were pretty and seemed better optimized then the main game.

Man I just bashed my way through the Raven DLC and took a look at those acheivements.

I didn't get hit a single time during the Unrivalled part of the acheivement but it didn't trigger.

Not going to go back for bad stealth mechanic achievements anyways.

Didn't really answer any of the questions I wanted answered but the environments were pretty and seemed better optimized then the main game.

What about that spiral kick camera tho

Confirmed post-DLC all the boss fights in Delvool respawned, but only once - clearing them again causes them to not come back, just like after the first time. If you take Raven in you get some fun alternate pre-fight dialogue.

So the DLC is alright, like I wish there was chapter select but no biggie.

Unfortunately I think I fell through the World during one of the later boss fights, which was incredibly frustrating. I'm uploading a video of it now.
You should see my glitch video I posted early last night. Pretty equally frustrating, and lost a bunch of Talismans due to it.

Just finished the Raven DLC, I gotta say, playing as
little Sachya
is one of my favorite experiences with this game. That lovely faux-french soundtrack while walking by a serene yet surreal location is just wonderful.
Dodging robots sucked though.
I want to see another anime in this vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_w_jrfMLSg

(Spoilers in vid)

And
Lumino and Tenebria
were severely underused. They just appeared for a while and leave. Really disappointing considering their character designs are ace.

And Lei Colmosna is so so underused in the entire game. You hardly spend time in what can be considered the most beautiful location in the entire series. Even the anime hardly spends time there, which is a shame. Instead you get Vendecentre again and again and you're gonna like it that way. I hope a hypothetical Gravity Rush 3 has the main hub be in Lei Colmosna. Please don't waste such a beautiful city.

WetWaffle

Just finished it and the dlc. Aside from the unusually frequent stealth missions, I'd say this was a much improved sequel over GR1. I had a few small criticisms along the way, I kinda wish the character art was more like GR1, this felt a bit...clean for lack of a better word. And the camera during the Jupiter mode introduction almost soured my experience. Also is my mind trying to see something that isn't there or
were Kat and Raven some kind of romantic couple or deep friendship of some sort. I'd understand Raven calling Kat a friend or even a partner, but to call her "half of myself taken away from me"? Not to mention she's acting like a widow desperately bottling up her emotions with that conversation with Misai. Just stuck out to me, maybe I'm overseeing things.
Edit: Also, I feel bad about Horizon. I put it off to play Yakuza 0, now Gravity Rush 2, and as of right now, Uncharted 4, lol

Just finished it and the dlc. Aside from the unusually frequent stealth missions, I'd say this was a much improved sequel over GR1. I had a few small criticisms along the way, I kinda wish the character art was more like GR1, this felt a bit...clean for lack of a better word. And the camera during the Jupiter mode introduction almost soured my experience. Also is my mind trying to see something that isn't there or
were Kat and Raven some kind of romantic couple or deep friendship of some sort. I'd understand Raven calling Kat a friend or even a partner, but to call her "half of myself taken away from me"? Not to mention she's acting like a widow desperately bottling up her emotions with that conversation with Misai. Just stuck out to me, maybe I'm overseeing things.
Edit: Also, I feel bad about Horizon. I put it off to play Yakuza 0, now Gravity Rush 2, and as of right now, Uncharted 4, lol

Honestly, they don't really give any reason for us to believe Kat and Raven are romantically involved. Although there is
that scene where they cuddle up in the same bed 🤔

Seiryoden

I am sick of this fucking game asking me to fix a Swiss watch with a sledgehammer. Each sidequest is more rage-inducing than the last.

I'm doing episode 13. I have to go to the train station and after some cop booted me out of the house. But I evaporate on the way there and go back to where I started. This is pissing me off, someone help me.

I'm doing episode 13. I have to go to the train station and after some cop booted me out of the house. But I evaporate on the way there and go back to where I started. This is pissing me off, someone help me.

I can't say I had that problem. Do you have a map marker to follow or does it expect you to find a landmark on the way first? You are only supposed to get teleported if you go out of bounds for the scenario you're in, which shouldn't happen if you're headed in the right direction.

Roubjon

I can't say I had that problem. Do you have a map marker to follow or does it expect you to find a landmark on the way first? You are only supposed to get teleported if you go out of bounds for the scenario you're in, which shouldn't happen if you're headed in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a glitch, if I'm remembering correctly. I remember there was a mission where you had to chase a dude and even if you are right next to the guy it teleports you away every time. To fix it I just had to restart the mission.

Started this beauty yesterday ( finished chapter 3 ).
I love this game.
Wanted to play it on my PRO, time to enjoy it fully.

Kat and Syd moments in the early chapter reminded me why i like those characters.

fhqwhgads

I gave it my best but the picture collection is too meh for me to bother completing without help. If anyone could throw the locations my way for the last few that'd be great.
Old man on the wall
Bottom of the building away from the center Saghassi painting
Demon Statue
Hotel Symbol
After that all I'll have left is the DLC and grinding for gems so I can max out Kat's abilities.

Griss

Doing Mission 12. This is bullshit. Do the designers not realise they're working with a janky camera, and therefore you have to either
a) Not be stuck in small corridors / rooms for an entire mission, or
b) Make sure said corridors are very smooth and clear from jagged edges, rather than stuffed full of them.

This whole mission has been a clusterfuck of cameras getting stuck behind walls and freaking out, while I tumble through hallways with no sense of which way is up or which way is forward, but blundering through anyway because fuck it it's not like there's any challenge to it. And we're twelve story missions in and still stuck on bullshit table tutorial missions while the story resolutely refuses to go anywhere interesting at all?

Starting to really feel like this game is worse than the last one. Huge disappointment so far. Considering giving up and moving on to Nier or something else.

EDIT: Didn't even mention the terrible side-missions or ludicrous amount of forced 'stealth' sections. This game is the poster child for the cliched 'just my imagination' bullshit AI.

Picking this up tonight and can't wait to start it. Judging by the posts here it is solid, with most issues being centered around stealth missions and the camera. I just finished The Last Guardian, though, so I can handle a wonky camera.

I'm curious too see how having multiple gravity shift types works out. Sounds like it complicates things, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Also, that art book looks amazing. Might have to make a quick Amazon purchase.

LotusHD

Banned
Doing Mission 12. This is bullshit. Do the designers not realise they're working with a janky camera, and therefore you have to either
a) Not be stuck in small corridors / rooms for an entire mission, or
b) Make sure said corridors are very smooth and clear from jagged edges, rather than stuffed full of them.

This whole mission has been a clusterfuck of cameras getting stuck behind walls and freaking out, while I tumble through hallways with no sense of which way is up or which way is forward, but blundering through anyway because fuck it it's not like there's any challenge to it. And we're twelve story missions in and still stuck on bullshit table tutorial missions while the story resolutely refuses to go anywhere interesting at all?

Starting to really feel like this game is worse than the last one. Huge disappointment so far. Considering giving up and moving on to Nier or something else.

EDIT: Didn't even mention the terrible side-missions or ludicrous amount of forced 'stealth' sections. This game is the poster child for the cliched 'just my imagination' bullshit AI.

The majority of the side missions are great imo :(

Roubjon

Picking this up tonight and can't wait to start it. Judging by the posts here it is solid, with most issues being centered around stealth missions and the camera. I just finished The Last Guardian, though, so I can handle a wonky camera.

I'm curious too see how having multiple gravity shift types works out. Sounds like it complicates things, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Also, that art book looks amazing. Might have to make a quick Amazon purchase.

Get cozy switching between the different gravity types, because it makes traversing so fun. It's worth it.

Top Bottom