• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
Knew about this last year when it was first reported.

Hated it then, hate it now.

Battle.net has been awesome since its inception.

frontovik

Banned
RIP Battle.Net

Theory:
This transition to "Blizzard" is because Activision will launch Destiny 2 on PC exclusively(no Steam) on their own client, the Activision Blizzard client.
Sounds about right. If EA did it, why not ActiBlizz.

Gauntlet

Banned
This is the kind of thing that gaming communities like neogaf really have trouble understanding, because it's not FOR them. Blizzard is trying to unify their brand which makes sense as they diversify their gaming presence. For someone just starting out with a new Blizzard game, having an additional superfluous term to remember like "battle.net" that seems otherwise unrelated is a potential source of confusion. And as much as this community likes to scoff at the prospect of those poor, stupid masses who need everything dumbed down, the reality is probably a little more subtle and nuanced than that. When you're trying to attract new members to your audience and increase the reach of your brand, removing redundancy and streamlining your language makes sense.

I liked "battle.net" too, but the name's retirement is a very reasonable step and is far from being an outrage. You may commence the "corporate apologist" shtick

Majine

Banned
Theory:
This transition to "Blizzard" is because Activision will launch Destiny 2 on PC exclusively(no Steam) on their own client, the Activision Blizzard client.

Why didn't they call it that then, instead of just settling for Blizzard?

I don't think this is the case.

RIP Battle.Net

Makes much more sense to release it on an updated battle.net client that already has tens of millions of users versus making a new client from scratch and trying to get people to migrate to it.

This is the kind of thing that gaming communities like neogaf really have trouble understanding, because it's not FOR them. Blizzard is trying to unify their brand which makes sense as they diversify their gaming presence. For someone just starting out with a new Blizzard game, having an additional superfluous term to remember like "battle.net" that seems otherwise unrelated is a potential source of confusion. And as much as this community likes to scoff at the prospect of those poor, stupid masses who need everything dumbed down, the reality is probably a little more subtle and nuanced than that. When you're trying to attract new members to your audience and increase the reach of your brand, removing redundancy and streamlining your language makes sense.

I liked "battle.net" too, but the name's retirement is a very reasonable step and is far from being an outrage. You may commence the "corporate apologist" shtick

This is like if Valve decided to get rid of Steam and just call it the valve launcher... It doesn't really simplify anything.

(Edit) fuuucccck I lost.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
RIP Battle.Net

It's not called the EA client though, it's called Origin.

It's an argument for keeping the battle.net name not scrapping it. Blizzard can do what they like though. If Steam was called Computer Game Downloader X it would still be the same service, just with a silly name.

Abounder

Banned
They're going to have to change the BattleCon name too, oh waitaminute

F for respects, does make ya wonder if more merging is in store.

Anyway Bnet's heyday was Diablo 2 hardcore mode - seeing lobbies filled with ghosts of high level ganked players was a lot more fun than say an AOL chatroom

lawnchair

Banned
2f0.jpg

first place i ever played a game online.

Fuchsdh

Blizzard has an ego, which is why they ended up losing DotA to Valve, probably one of the craziest and most baffling whiffs in gaming history.

It's probably better that they change it from battle.net, as battle.net had style and personality, 'Blizzard App' is just a perfunctory chat platform with a friends list. We all used to tell our friends to 'get on battlenet' to play X game. You don't ask your friends to get on 'Blizzard App', it's just there, doing its bare minimum, you instead tell your friends to play X game directly.

We're only a few management fart sniffs away from "It's Blizzard's world, we just live in it!"

Any source on Blizzard being offered the chance to develop Dota 2 and turning it down? All sources have Valve hiring IceFrog directly.

Lothars

Any source on Blizzard being offered the chance to develop Dota 2 and turning it down? All sources have Valve hiring IceFrog directly.
Of course there isn't but that doesn't stop him from posting wrong things. I liked the battle.net name but I don't think there's anything wrong with blizzard changing the name.

Symphonic

It's a minor change and one that unifies their (expanding) brand going forward.

IE it's not a big deal. Chill people. Battle.net was never a great name to begin with, we've just become attached to it.

Isomac

Could have at least come up with some good other name. Just renaming it Blizzard seems lame. Like if Steam was just called Valve app.

Their domain is still battle.net as well, so this legit makes no sense to me. It sounds like shit imo.

This is like naming Origin 'EA App' or Uplay 'Ubisoft Stuff'..

I haven't been very happy with Blizzard's output recently anyway, think I'm starting to become jaded towards them.

MTC100

Banned
Checked www.battle.net, still alive and kicking, still same logo. It doesn't really make sense, but today my battlenet client also updated and only shows Blizzard now the logo also changed for worse, wtf are they thinking?

Really odd name change. Battle.net became iconic, I can't understand why they'd abandon that. It'd be like Steam switching to being called the Valve Store.

Meh, Battle.net died to me after War3. I was always enamored with B.Net in Blizzards early games, but after SC2 I lost hope in it ever grabbing me like it used to. Not a big deal to me now.

Airbar

Neo Member
Meh, Battle.net died to me after War3. I was always enamored with B.Net in Blizzards early games, but after SC2 I lost hope in it ever grabbing me like it used to. Sucks for those who still enjoy it, maybe Blizz will come up with a good alternative.

I totally get what you're saying. The "cool" BNet died with the release of SC2. Yet it still was THE BNet. And will remain so for me and my friends. Fuck after 20 years of using that name Blizzard now fucking rebrands it? Dumb move.

I spent weeks convincing my friends that Battle.net 2.0 was the future.

Of course, like most things, Blizzard had the opportunity to create something special - and they completely fucking botched it.

No surprise here.
Lmao this overreaction is just hilarious to me, perfect encapsulation of the internet. They only changed a name, no other changes and.. and THEY FUCKING BOTCHED IT GUYS, IT'S RUINED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom