• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolved Amicably Last Year: Rockstar Games parent company Take-Two has filed a lawsuit against Alan Wake devs Remedy over its "R" logo

Frwrd

season 4 enemy in-law GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
holy shit. They have time for this clown work and can’t sell us a patch or full game upgrade of RDR2 for current gen consoles that requires the most minimal effort ever and would be easy money for them. Bunch of bellends

MiguelItUp

I hope Take 2 loses for sure, is so stupid and such a stretch. The only similarity is that they're the letter "R", lmao. Everything else looks noticeably different.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Fuck outta here 🤦‍♂️🤔

xKY0Ay0.jpg

cetoJXr.png
I can explain how Take Two's won that case. You see the Terminator in T2 Judgment Day came back from the year 2029 armed with the knowledge of knowing what the current Take Two logo looks like. That T-800 notified Jim Cameron who stole the logo and created it before Take Two were meant to do so.

Separately, to steal a line from GTA3. This is Rated R for Retarded!

Valt7786

How is there any "confusion"
One is an R with a star on it.
The other fucking says "Remedy" underneath it.
Fucking mongs at take two, fuck off.

While this case is and sounds completely stupid, they actually have to do this. This is because if they don’t, and somebody really copies their stuff later on, there’s a chance a judge will say: You didn’t care about these other cases before so apparently you don’t care about your brand/copyright/patents/insert other stuff, so we will allow party B to continue copying your stuff.

I don’t remember exactly where I read this but apparently there is a law that says if you don’t defend your stuff all the time, someone else might actually legally be allowed to copy it.

ZoukGalaxy

Their new logo is bullshit and just plain ugly anyway, it won't hurt them if they have to change it, actually that would be a favor. However the lawsuit is deeply ridiculous.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Update via Eurogamer:

UPDATE 18/01/24: Remedy has responded to the trademark dispute with Take Two, stating it was resolved amicably last year.

A statement sent to Eurogamer reads: "There is nothing to see here – this was a discussion between our teams that was resolved entirely and amicably late last year. Unfortunately, it took a little longer to complete than we had hoped due to some holiday scheduling. The legal filing was simply an initial formality, and Remedy and Take-Two continue to work together in partnership."

Rockstar published Remedy's original Max Payne games and the two companies are collaborating on the forthcoming remakes.

Faust Faust Mod of War Mod of War Can one of you guys update the thread title please? Tysm.

StueyDuck

I've noticed all the media sites... even ign... have been reporting this as ROCKSTAR MAAAAD.

It's pretty clear this it take2 being full of shit

You can't copyright a letter. Same as Universal tried with Nintendo over the word Kong. John Kirby (Yes, THAT Kirby) stated there was no infringement and worse, that Universal knew this and tried anyway.
This is the same scenario. Rockstar damn well knows and tries anyway.

The fact that they settled this outside court doesn't change that. This is probably the reason why its been settled outside of court.

Top Bottom