• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
aiUEVMJd.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Alan Wake 2

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 27, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 27, 2023)
  • PC (Oct 27, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Remedy Entertainment

Publisher: Epic Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 91% recommended
Metacritic - 88 average based on 37 Critic Reviews

image.png

image.png

Critic Reviews

Atomix - Alexis Patiño - Spanish - 87 / 100
Alan Wake II is the sequel we were waiting for. Unfortunately, it took thirteen years to find out what happened next in this story. The technological advancement is impressive, the graphics, the music, and the sound are stunning, and it couldn't have been released in a better season.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4.5 / 5
Everything, down to the puzzles, feels appropriately placed. That's before even acknowledging the gorgeous cast of actors involved in the project and the truly compelling story that unfolds for Alan as well as Saga, who each gain an interesting presence in Bright Falls and the world beyond. It doesn't feel like the most satisfying combat, and it's rather easy to beat, but this is also exactly what I wanted and more from an Alan Wake sequel. It is also the best original horror game of 2023 by a wide margin, and a damn fine video game overall.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 9.5 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is possibly one of the greatest pieces of storytelling crafted, and is a must play title.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 90 / 100
Quote not yet available

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5
For those who dare to step into its shadow-laden universe, the game serves as a riveting odyssey that pushes the boundaries of what a survival horror game can be.

GameSpot - Mark Delaney - 10 / 10
Remedy delivers its greatest game to date by turning a long-awaited sequel into a uniquely meta multimedia masterpiece.

GamesHub - Leah Williams - 5 / 5
Alan Wake 2 almost feels mad in its approach, with an overwhelming array of threads in the tale that threaten to collapse under pressure at any moment. Yet with clear and incisive logic, matched with a devotion to delightful absurdity, the team at Remedy has managed to craft a breathtaking story – one that plays out in clever, fascinating, and horrifying ways.

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 9 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is a fantastic horror game with some excellent atmosphere and an incredibly interesting story. While it does make use of jump scares that feel downright unnecessary, thankfully, the other horror aspects of the game are more than up to the task of creeping you out. Just make sure that you at least read up on the plot synopsis of the original Alan Wake before jumping in.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 90 / 100
There is nothing you'll play this year like Alan Wake 2. The choice of two protagonists works wonderfully, with an interwoven plot that is Remedy at their best. I love the twists and turns it takes, with an incredible atmosphere set that boosts everything it touches, including the combat. Alan Wake 2 is breathtaking both visually and audibly, whether in Bright Falls or The Dark Place. Our departure thirteen years ago is long forgotten; Alan Wake's return is a triumph.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 7.6 / 10
The 20-odd hours we spent in Alan Wake 2 left us in a strange place. While its graphical and audio prowess are clear to see, the gameplay, and more crucially, the story, are going to have their merits hotly debated and discussed, and that’s not even including the technical shortcomings. For what it’s worth, we enjoyed this haunted journey through both darkness and light, but for hardcore fans and even newcomers, this sequel might not be an instant classic right away.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 8 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is a visual and technical showcase that brings some fresh ideas and mechanics to the series. Some evolve into fun activities while others get repetitive. The game is also marred by some awkward live-action sequences that feel out of place. But there's no doubt a captivating horror to enjoy under the surface. It is the strangest game you'll play this year in all the best ways.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9.5 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is a spectacular sequel that was more than worth the wait, with a story that simply has to be experienced to be believed.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 9 / 10
Alan Wake II is a superb survival-horror sequel that makes the cult-classic original seem like little more than a rough first draft by comparison.

INVEN - Kyuman Kim - Korean - 8.8 / 10
Remedy's trademark intricate narrative has evolved even further, combining with survival horror-style action to deliver a more immersive experience than ever before. In particular, the expanded lore developed over the past 13 years adds a unique appeal. However, issues with subtitles and bugs seems to be promptly addressed post-launch, and I have high hopes for improvements in this regard.

Multiplayer First - Vitor Braz - 9.5 / 10
With a playtime that deserves all praise, easily clocking in at over 20 hours if you don’t rush through it, Alan Wake 2 is absolutely worth the time and money. It’s a remarkable achievement that is meant to be both devoured and enjoyed slowly, despite what this sounds like, plunging into all the details, exploring every beat of the locations without rushing through the main goals, as to appreciate the colossal work that has gone into it. This is a terrific television series gone videogame, with a sophisticated plot that grips every fan of survival horror and never lets go. The fantastic looks help, but the perfect pacing and intriguing mysteries keep you going despite some frustration that may arise from the Angel Lamp puzzles.

It’s one of the greatest survival horror games ever made, this shouldn’t be skipped. A fantastic example of how different types of media can crossover and create a very special outcome, it was absolutely worth the wait for Alan Wake to come up with a plan to escape the Dark Place and write an outstanding story about it for us to read, watch, play, and above all, enjoy.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 10 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is an innovative, bolder, and scarier sequel that pushes the survival horror genre forward. Remedy have turned its strangeness dial to 11 and it's magnificent.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9.5 / 10
While I'm sure there were countless drafts and edits throughout the journey to this point, this Alan Wake II is proof that great things come to those who wait. Like breaking through after a thirteen year stretch of writer's block, I can only imagine the sense of relief in letting this monster of a game loose.

Rectify Gaming - Henry - 9.5 / 10
Game design is an art and Remedy Entertainment have created something of a masterpiece with Alan Wake 2. The four long years of development have paid off, and the passion and love from the studio truly speaks for itself. From the incredible worldbuilding and interconnected narratives to the elevated survival horror and detective case solving, Alan Wake 2 is a unique experience that you don’t want to miss.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9.5 / 10
When it comes to Alan Wake 2, there's no need to hold back on the superlatives; every single one of them is well-deserved. But if I had to pinpoint one element that truly captures your attention, it's the extraordinary storyline.

Sirus Gaming - Jarren Navarrete - 8 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is a worthy successor to the original. However, it does come with some flaws that may grate older fans. This is the horror genre we've always thought Alan Wake could be if it shed some of its more action elements. After witnessing its gripping horror firsthand, it makes me feel like Alan Wake, too.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 8.9 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is the most visionary, bold and brillant Remedy game to date. From the terrific concept to the ambitious game design, Alan Wake 2 destroys the trivial ideas behind every pop videogame and creates a complex opera that will be remembered over the years.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - Unscored
Alan Wake 2 is the next glorious evolution of Remedy's signature gameplay and yet to put a foot wrong.

TechRaptor - Jason Rodriguez - 7 / 10
Alan Wake 2 takes you to the quiet locales of Washington and the streets of New York, places where darkness has taken root. Along the way, you can expect a tense and foreboding atmosphere, frantic action, and a memorable, mesmerizing romp. Sadly, there were several glaring issues that became prevalent during the course of this review.

TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - 10 / 10
Just as it gives equal screen time to its two protagonists, Alan Wake 2 is a fine blend of equal parts narrative and survival horror. Both aspects are brought together in brilliant fashion to create a game that is going to mess with your head, scare the hell out of you and make you grin about it as you plunge forward once more, eager to see what's next.

VG247 - Kelsey Raynor - 5 / 5
In a superb blend of reality and fiction, Alan Wake 2 will earn its place as one of the best horror games out there.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 9 / 10
With its excellent trippy horror story, memorable characters, amazing atmosphere, and some of the best visuals in gaming to date, Alan Wake II is a game like few others and Remedy Entertainment's best. It took 13 years for the acclaimed writer to come back, but the long wait was worth it. We could have hardly wished for a better sequel, despite the derivative survival horror gameplay holding the experience back a bit.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 10 / 10
Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece and you should play it, now.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It is an interesting game when it comes to predicting its grades. I think its proposal for a more cinematic, slow-paced and guided game with a convoluted story will generate varied opinions, so it is more difficult to expect it to become a game with 90+.
It has more chances of being a cult game like the first one than a 90+ one.

The notes will also depend on performance on all platforms, although it seems that the majority of codes sent to the media have been from PC.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Waiting for physical or playing on pc? Hmm...
But there’s probably no chance of a physical release

They said they can keep the game’s launch price down because of there being no physical

They said they can make sure it’s better ready for launch being there’s no physical

I know the company that replicated the original Alan Wake back in the 360 days said they’re offering to do it. But that’s not remedy. That’s just a replication house

So why do we keep having hope that this will get a physical release two years down the road? (Because it will not get a physical release within six months).

You only hurt yourself if you end up waiting a year and a half to play this

Fingers crossed for anything over 80mc and I'll buy it to support Remedy, plus enjoyed AW and the DLC's, although this looks quite different from the first one.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
83 I’m going for. I loved the original and still haven’t got round to playing the remaster, I own it but time is tight right now. Definitely be picking this up in a few weeks, remedy are a great developer.

MaKTaiL

I posted this in the other thread but I'll copy it here since it's the prediction thread. I have a friend who works as a reviewer here in Brazil and he got an early copy of Alan Wake 2 for PS5. Here is what he told me about it so far (no spoilers):
  • Graphics are insanely good albeit the resolution definitely takes a hit
  • Framerate is unstable on both modes (Fidelity and Performance). Dips to mid 40s on Performance and a few minor drops on Fidelity. Recommends playing on Fidelity for now. He isn't sure if there will be a day 1 patch.
  • He said Digital Foundry's review should be interesting (graphics are definitely next-gen and should push cards to a new benchmark)
  • Horror is turned up to 11. Really great atmosphere, really intense sections. Saga's story is the spookiest of the two. Not for the faint of heart.
  • Bullets are scarce and gameplay is much more survival horror oriented compared to the first game.
  • Minor tiny spoiler:
Lots of references to Control, definitely connected to the universe
  • BONUS: He said there is a section that happens midway through the story that isn't like anything he has ever seen before. Definitely ranks Top 10 best gaming moments he has ever experienced. (I bet it is something related to music like Alan Wake 1 and Control had)
I'm gonna go crazy here and bet 91-95 based on everything I've heard so far.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Funny things is there are too many people thinks unless the game gets 90+ it’s not worth buying, so basically score 84-85 considered shit now…..why? Who knows.
Gamers - "stupid reviewers use the whole scale"
Also gamers - "if the score doesn't average to 90+ then the game might as well be a giant turd"

daninthemix

im looking forward to it but had to laugh at it. pc players again get the worst

gkt8f3mpb6wb1.png
That is an amusing venn diagram. I do fall into those 12 players, not because I care about Alan Wake but because I like Remedy games in general - they always push the envelope and defy expectations.

Top Bottom