• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luipadre

yeah gaming is done with this shit being praised.
edit: ok that's a hyperbole. It's an OK game. I didn't like it after all but had enjoyment playing it. I just don't like that you play as Saga Woke for 60% of Alan Wake 2... and the ending sucks... and there is no gameplay... :p
You really are on a hate crusade for this game. Just let it go

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could the game have used another couple of weeks before coming out? Absolutely. The game launching with multiple progression blocking bugs is unforgivable.

But it's still such a good fucking game.

Hugare

edit: ok that's a hyperbole. It's an OK game. I didn't like it after all but had enjoyment playing it. I just don't like that you play as Saga Woke for 60% of Alan Wake 2... and the ending sucks... and there is no gameplay... :p
There's one "woke" line in the game, and it's not really said by Saga

So chill, my man

I didnt love the game, I still enjoy the first one way more. But it's quality. Deserves its place at the awards, imo.

Even with the terrible combat

ToTK has terrible combat, and go take a look at its MC score for a sec

Eiknarf

Banned
How’s the repeatability?

I was 19 hours in and stopped. Didn’t finish

But for those who finished and liked it a lot, im curious about how ya think the replayability will be?

Last edited:

K' Dash

don't pass you shitty opinions as facts.

Stop being a pathetic loser coming to all AW thread and complain like a bitch. I mean, you like Forspoken, do you think you have any credibility?

Let it go.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's one "woke" line in the game, and it's not really said by Saga

So chill, my man

I didnt love the game, I still enjoy the first one way more. But it's quality. Deserves its place at the awards, imo.

Even with the terrible combat

ToTK has terrible combat, and go take a look at its MC score for a sec
Lol there is absolutely not only 1 woke line in the game.
Almost the whole game is woke Because Saga anderson got magic powers, she is black, she has everything handed to her, she is never afraid, she overcomes her internal doubts herself in 5 minutes, she is strong, she takes 60% of the game and Alan Wake is only there to help her achieve her goals.
Alan Wake does not advance the story at all. He is in the same place. Saga doesn't loose anything
The whole game revolves around her now. Alan Wake game. An yes - I disliked the same thing in Ragnarok but it was still 90:10. Here is 60:40.
How’s the repeatability?

I was 19 hours in and stopped. Didn’t finish

But for those who finished and liked it a lot, im curious about how ya think the replayability will be?
0 replayability. I can't imagine myself replaying this.

don't pass you shitty opinions as facts.

Stop being a pathetic loser coming to all AW thread and complain like a bitch. I mean, you like Forspoken, do you think you have any credibility?

Let it go.
The only pathetic opinion here is the ones giving this crappy game 10s. There is no way in hell this game is 9 or 10.
Yes. Forspoken is much better than reviews say. I never claimed it is 9 or 10 though did I?! And yes. Forspoken got much much much better gameplay.

AW2 got:
Terrible pacing,
Terrible controls,
Sam Lake jerk off for hours
bad shooting and almost none of it anyway
You roam around woods for hours, inventory is full of crap you dont need
Bad horror - You get scared by loud flashing images. That's cheap.
Terrible rhyme puzzles and lunch boxes with woke messaging.
The game is clearly reee sweet baby inc galore.

There are many good things about the game. It fooled me for many hours. But once I noticed what it's doing I felt personally attacked and taken for a fool that I've had this crappy politics pushed on me for 2 hours without me realizing it.
Again -If at least gameplay was good. but it's not.

The best thing about the game are environments, audio design (outside of loud noises), amazing atmosphere at night in a forest and graphics but only on pc.

And I am not extermist here. Popular reviewers think the same too

I dislike the guy but admit with him this time

edit: I don't know why this crap gets so much praise and good real games do not. It must be reee politics or at least a part of it.
edit2: or as Ogbert Ogbert below be said. It's just overrated :p

Last edited:

Hugare

Lol there is absolutely not only 1 woke line in the game.
Almost the whole game is woke Because Saga anderson got magic powers, she is black, she has everything handed to her, she is never afraid, she overcomes her internal doubts herself in 5 minutes, she is strong, she takes 60% of the game and Alan Wake is only there to help her achieve her goals.
Alan Wake does not advance the story at all. He is in the same place. Saga doesn't loose anything
The whole game revolves around her now. Alan Wake game. An yes - I disliked the same thing in Ragnarok but it was still 90:10. Here is 60:40.

0 replayability. I can't imagine myself replaying this.

The only pathetic opinion here is the ones giving this crappy game 10s. There is no way in hell this game is 9 or 10.
Yes. Forspoken is much better than people say. I never claimed it is 9 or 10 though did I?! ANd yes. Forspoken got much much much better gamplay.

AW2 got:
Terrible pacing,
Terrible controls,
Sam Lake jerk off for hours
bad shooting and almost none of it anyway
You roam around woods for hours, inventory is full of crap you dont need
Bad horror - You get scared by loud flashing images. That's cheap.
Terrible rhyme puzzles and lunch boxes with woke messaging.
The game is clearly reee sweet baby inc galore.

There are many good things about the game. It fooled me for many hours. But once I noticed what it's doing I felt personally attacked and taken for a fool that I've had this crappy politics pushed on me for 2 hours without me realizing it.
Again -If at least gameplay was good. but it's not.

The best thing about the game are environments, audio design (outside of loud noises), amazing atmosphere at night in a forest and graphics but only on pc.

And I am not extermist here. Popular reviewers think the same too

I dislike the guy but admit with him this time

edit: I don't know why this crap gets so much praise and good real games do not. It must be reee politics or at least a part of it.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Her whole family has powers (including white males)

She is never afraid, but neither is Alan during the first game (and now, despite being inside the Dark Place), Barry, Casey, and so many other characters 'cause that's the tone they are going for

She only overcomes her internal doubts at the end of the game (dont know if you havent played it or is just misremembering a very obvious section)

About the spoiler: yeah. But Alan was always a douche tho, ever since the first game, so it makes sense considering his actions

And the story doesnt revolve entirely around her at all. Seriously dude, c'mon, its one thing to not like the game, but this is straight bullshit.

"Popular reviewers", 2 guys that fit your narrative while ignoring the other hundreds of reviewers. If you look hard enough you will always find an opinion that you can agree with, no matter how absurd it is.

"Ree politics". Man, take a look around here for a minute ...

And again, I didnt love the game, and I also think its overrated

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Wow this game sure seems to be divisive. I haven’t played it yet as I’m currently replaying the remaster of the original and having a good time so far. Game is sure fun so far, pretty much exactly what I remembered from my time in the 360.

The sequel definitely seems to have a much more serious, uneasier and darker tone and I’ve heard the combat is few and far between. I’m definitely looking forward to playing the second but it is interesting seeing the different opinions in here.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
This game is ridiculously overrated.
On YouTube, when I posted that "the reason we hold a game controller in our hand is to PLAY the game, not read a book...", I got kinda scolded by someone's reply :

@charliefleet7235

16 hours ago
The notion that “videogames are solely about gameplay, leave the narrative to books and cinema” is the most ridiculous ideology I’ve ever heard. There is obviously a balance, that’s why I don’t really like games like telltale and things. For me, there’s no platform better for telling a story than videogames because it invites you to become a part of it by interacting with it, instead of sitting as a passenger watching things happen. Fun gameplay will be forgotten eventually, or replicated to death (Arkham combat). For me, the quality of the narrative is what sets some games apart from others. For example, silent hill 2, average gameplay incredible story, the last of us, the same, red dead 2’s gameplay is kinda slow and dull, incredible story. Gaming can be dumb fun, it can also be art.

Hugare

On YouTube, when I posted that "the reason we hold a game controller in our hand is to PLAY the game, not read a book...", I got kinda scolded by someone's reply :

@charliefleet7235

16 hours ago
The notion that “videogames are solely about gameplay, leave the narrative to books and cinema” is the most ridiculous ideology I’ve ever heard. There is obviously a balance, that’s why I don’t really like games like telltale and things. For me, there’s no platform better for telling a story than videogames because it invites you to become a part of it by interacting with it, instead of sitting as a passenger watching things happen. Fun gameplay will be forgotten eventually, or replicated to death (Arkham combat). For me, the quality of the narrative is what sets some games apart from others. For example, silent hill 2, average gameplay incredible story, the last of us, the same, red dead 2’s gameplay is kinda slow and dull, incredible story. Gaming can be dumb fun, it can also be art.
Dude was kinda right, but not entirely

There are games where gameplay is essential and the highlight, but in others, as he mentions SH 2 or RDR 2, story and presentation are key

It doesnt need to be black and white. I enjoyed AW 2 despite its horrible gameplay. I loved The Walking Dead game despite it being barely interactive.

I'm also enjoying Mario Wonder a lot, and its all about gameplay.

In games where the story/presentation is the most important aspect, the gameplay can only be passible and I'll still play it.

In games where gameplay is key, the story can be barely there and i'll be fine with it

It's all about what matters for each experience to work

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

There are games where gameplay is essential and the highlight, but in others, as he mentions SH 2 or RDR 2, story and presentation are key

It doesnt need to be black and white. I enjoyed AW 2 despite its horrible gameplay. I loved The Walking Dead game despite it being barely interactive.

In games where the story/presentation is the most important aspect, the gameplay can only be passible and I'll still play it.

In games where gameplay is key, the story can be barely there and i'll be fine with it

You don't need

to write

with enters

between each sentence.

Of course gameplay is not everything. I enjoyed ton of walking sims like Firewatch for example.. or adventure games. But Alan Wake 2 is not a walking sim. It's a survival horror with bad gameplay. That's different than what it sets out to do

Hugare

You don't need

to write

with enters

between each sentence.

Of course gameplay is not everything. I enjoyed ton of walking sims like Firewatch for example.. or adventure games. But Alan Wake 2 is not a walking sim. It's a survival horror with bad gameplay. That's different than what it sets out to do
Look better on mobile, instead of huge sentences that look like a pile of words that arent easy for the eyes

I'm sure you can make sense of it

Wasnt replying to you, btw, but appreciate your input anyway. About your answer: SH 2 is also a survivor game with bad gameplay. Still considered as one of the best games of all time, for some.

I didnt enjoy AW's gameplay, but it was more than enough for me to enjoy the game for what it is. But I understand that it wouldnt be enough for some. Opinions opinions.

Last edited:

SnapShot

I don't understand the gameplay complaints some seem to be getting here, I liked the "rewriting entire scenes" mechanic and "taking light from one spot and using it elsewhere to create new paths" mechanic, don't think I've seen them done in any other game before. and Saga's Mind Place could almost be entirely ignored minus like 3 or 4 dialogue points in the entire campaign.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I really like what I've played so far, but it does suck that they essentially erased a white female character by replacing her with a black female British actress playing a racist black American character (with an awful accent too).

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

Perfectly worded

MacReady13

ToTK has combat
FTFY. At least I am using weapons within Zelda. Alan Wake 2 has next to no enemies. It is an overrated game with a story that wouldn't touch the original 4 Silent Hill games in terms of creepiness and weirdness. And Silent Hill had ENEMIES to avoid and kill!!!

Ev1L AuRoN

After playing the chapter:

WE SING

I must say, it's been a while since a game truly surprise me, that chapter alone makes it GOTY contender to me. Granted, I didn't finish the game yet, but so far I'm having a blast, I played mostly as Alan Wake until this point and the game atmosphere is amazing. I don't dislike Saga, but I'd mostly agree she steals focus from Alan, and I like playing as AW more. But that's not enough for me to dislike the game, I'm a bit sensitive to woke stuff and so far the game seems pretty tamed to me, nothing like Spider Man2. Maybe it gets worst with the time but IDK, the game is being fun for me.

Top Bottom