• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T-0800

I usually love the games, Remedy make but playing the remake on PS5 and I just don't get it. Wake seems like an unhinged weirdo exploding at people for no reason and the combat is awful. I've played about 2 hours and just can't go on. I'm disappointed because the sequel looks fantastic.

Wulfer

Man, these scores should make my Xbox 360 Alan Wake Book Collectors Edition skyrocket in price! The collectors edition has the hard book of the Alan Wake Files in the set.

T-0800 take a watch of this video if you want to really dig into Alan Wake. This video will hook you good!

Last edited:

LastBattle

God, I’m so tempted to pull the trigger! Only thing holding me back is Dead Space just dropped on game pass which I’ve been waiting patiently for and I also want to play through the RE4 ada DLC.

Last edited:
I usually love the games, Remedy make but playing the remake on PS5 and I just don't get it. Wake seems like an unhinged weirdo exploding at people for no reason and the combat is awful. I've played about 2 hours and just can't go on. I'm disappointed because the sequel looks fantastic.
strongly urge you to stay away from deadly premonition & l.a. noire. alan wake's part of the 'unhinged weirdo that can't shoot straight' branch of the third-person shooter genre, & these games are very much an acquired taste...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Quite interesting how this game is reviewing (in terms of score) very similarly to Starfield but is being met with great enthusiasm, while Starfield was regarded as total trash.

Did Starfield get unfairly treated or is Alan Wake 2 not all that?

Either way, I loved AW back in the day, but Quantum Break and Control have cemented that Remedy create great worlds, have a fairly unique storytelling approach (and I say that positively) but those games tend to feature action that for whatever reason isn't the most exciting to play.

Will grab when I can get it for half price, I think.

Did GMG for $56 for the deluxe edition what a great deal.

Cannot wait to play this weekend!!!!
And this is why I hate this all digital future on console where I'm forced to buy from the sole digital distributor of that platform (e.g. Sony, Nintendo, etc.). On PC you have a choice from where you buy your download codes and often than not you can find them considerably cheaper than for example on Steam or Epic Games Store.

Guess I'll stick with the £50 standard edition of AW2.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And this is why I hate this all digital future on console where I'm forced to buy from the sole digital distributor of that platform (e.g. Sony, Nintendo, etc.). On PC you have a choice from where you buy your download codes and often than not you can find them considerably cheaper than for example on Steam or Epic Games Store.

You can buy Xbox codes from a few places and save money. Cdkeys are out of stock for Xbox but list the price of the standard edition at £41

I was surprised that you couldn't do the same on PlayStation when I got a PS5.

You can buy Xbox codes from a few places and save money. Cdkeys are out of stock for Xbox but list the price of the standard edition at £41

I don't have an Xbox (I mean I do, but it's a One X) and I do know about that as I bought some cheap keys in the past. However, that's not the case with the PS5, and on Switch you're locked in choosing certain titles if you buy those discounted vouchers. Ideally it should be like it's currently on PC where everyone can compete on equal footing (wishful thinking).

Last edited:

EDMIX

Wait, what steelbook version? Isn't it digital only? Or am I getting whooshed? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

n9oOrA8.png

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't have an Xbox (I mean I do, but it's a One X) and I do know about that as I bought some cheap keys in the past. However, that's not the case with the PS5, and on Switch you're locked in choosing certain titles if you buy those discounted vouchers. Ideally it should be like it's currently on PC where everyone can compete on equal footing (wishful thinking).
Yeah, it was quite a surprise to me that you couldn't buy codes on PS5, hopefully Microsoft see the value in letting cheapskates like me who are more price sensitive keep buying games, even if I won't pay full price for many games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

yeah. People will say BUT PC IS ALL DIGITAL FOR 20 years!!!! Bitch pc got tens of key resellers that are competing and also you get access to your files.
On psn you have only 1 price.

Last edited:

kikkis

Starfield just got paid or something. These

yeah. People will say BUT PC IS ALL DIGITAL FOR 20 years!!!! Bitch pc got tens of key resellers that are competing and also you get access to your files.
On psn you have only 1 price.
Keys are purchased from publisher afaik. So unless store sells them for loss, I don't really see price being that different from one another.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Keys are purchased from publisher afaik. So unless store sells them for loss, I don't really see price being that different from one another.
But it is. Cdkeys always have much lower prices. Ask anyone on pc. Buying games full price is a rare sight

sinnergy

Cd keys had none of Allan wake 2. as far as I could see. I could never pre-order. They went instantly out of stock today, but never had keys 🤣

Last edited:
GMG and especially cdkeys have thin margins for their offerings which allows them to compete with big distributors and storefronts like Steam, Epic Games, etc. Just look at the top reply of this page where a GAF member bought the digital deluxe for $56 instead of $70 which is the actual price for this SKU on Epic Games.

Last edited:
Remedy has updated the AW2 FAQ and included more info on upcoming expansions:
Two paid expansions:

Both of our expansions tell new stories and offer exciting gameplay within Alan Wake 2.

Expansion 1 – Night Springs

Visions and dreams. Fiction is written and coming true. Fiction collapses and remains just words on a page. These are those stories… in Night Springs.
Play as several familiar characters from the world of Alan Wake and experience the unexplainable in multiple self-contained episodes of Night Springs, a fictional tv-show set in the world of Alan Wake.

Expansion 2 – The Lake House

The Lake House is a mysterious facility situated on the shores of Cauldron Lake set up by an independent government organization to conduct secret research… until something goes wrong.
Explore the Lake House and embark on two separate adventures as the realities of Saga Anderson and Alan Wake collide again.

https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-faq/

hlm666

No comma in the post I replied to, but if that's the way you ment it reported for calling me a bitch.

/s

I'm a cunt and wont take demotions laying down

Why only Sony studios are bothered with 40fps mode. Im playing now spiderman 2 in 40fps and its such a big difference vs 30fps. And what I seen at GamingTech channel alan wake2 in 60fps mode is aliasing mess.
They don't have the resources of Sony first party studios plus they're doing a multi-platform release so I get it. That said, I do wish that more devs would include a 40 fps mode since it's the perfect middle ground (frametime wise) between 30 and 60.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Why only Sony studios are bothered with 40fps mode. Im playing now spiderman 2 in 40fps and its such a big difference vs 30fps. And what I seen at GamingTech channel alan wake2 in 60fps mode is aliasing mess.

I wonder if relatively few people have a 120fps screen still? I know that A Plague Tale Requiem had it, perhaps relatively few people use it?

I will say that Spiderman (remastered)at 30fps felt less blurry to me than Requiem at 40. Maybe some games benefit from it more to boot.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well I played through Fire Emblem, TotK, Metroid Prime, and Pikmin 4, and tomorrow is Alan Wake 2!
For me it was Pizza Tower, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, Steam Deck (not a game but it did change my gaming life) ToTK, Baldur's Gate 3, Mario Wonder, and now hopefully this!!

2023 has been so good for me.

Fabieter

I wonder if relatively few people have a 120fps screen still? I know that A Plague Tale Requiem had it, perhaps relatively few people use it?

I will say that Spiderman (remastered)at 30fps felt less blurry to me than Requiem at 40. Maybe some games benefit from it more to boot.

Devs also support wide-screen on pc and most people don't have wide-screen.

Gojiira

By more balanced you mean just telling you what you wanted to hear, the reviews I have heard haven't sounded unrealistically high at all, Remedy are one of the best studios around so this being an amazing title isn't surprising at all.
So you read reviews telling you what you wanted to hear, All praise for Remedy 😂.
Whatever man, You do you.

Vyse

Gold Member
Really enjoying so far. Game looks amazing on Series X. So wild looking at how good Saga’s hair looks when back in the day they couldn’t figure out how to put a cape on Batman or Spawn. 🤣

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Vague spoiler about the opening of AWII:
This game opens with a very strong statement. Wow. Already scarier than absolutely anything from Alan Wake I. This is what I was hoping for, and they actually pulled it off.

Also, how cool is it that Max Payne is basically in the game as Alex Casey--voiced by James McCaffrey and modeled after Sam Lake.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

The original Alan Wake is a really bad game on a lot of levels I got it for $1 as a digital code on ebay and I wanted my dollar back in the end

Not sure why such a meh game got a sequel "AW" has always had a weird hype around it that it never earned or deserved

I'm sure the sequel is better not because I think its a great game but because I can't fathom Remedy sinking slower than the original in quality

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ahh ok
Was curious cuz the reviews for both are so good.

does AWII have any stealth scenarios?
The combat is REALLY good, it just RE4R's combat is fucking phenomenal, you shouldn't try to compare.

The stealth actually very unique here, remember save heaven lights in original game that sometimes you get supplies. Unlike the original the enemies dont disappear so instead when go there they cant see you but when you start the fight the light shut down so you lose your stealth.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
The combat is REALLY good, it just RE4R's combat is fucking phenomenal, you shouldn't try to compare.

The stealth actually very unique here, remember save heaven lights in original game that sometimes you get supplies. Unlike the original the enemies dont disappear so instead when go there they cant see you but when you start the fight the light shut down so you lose your stealth.
I’ll try RE4 Remake after I play Alan Wake 2. But I can’t play AW2 until I finish Spider-Man 2

Valt7786

The original Alan Wake is a really bad game on a lot of levels I got it for $1 as a digital code on ebay and I wanted my dollar back in the end

Not sure why such a meh game got a sequel "AW" has always had a weird hype around it that it never earned or deserved

I'm sure the sequel is better not because I think its a great game but because I can't fathom Remedy sinking slower than the original in quality

Ive seen some hot takes in my time but hot damn this one is up there.

Top Bottom