• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

This looks amazing.

Can't wait to see what this dude does with Batman.

r74HXcT.jpg
Is Andy Serkis doing mo-cop for the mouse cursor too?

SpaceWolf

Banned
DerZuhälter;233068389 said:
Still think this is an incredibly stupid (rebooted) franchise, and I'm absolutely baffled about the love and praise it gets.

You didn't like Dawn? What was so bafflingly stupid about the way that film was executed?

That little girl might be the mute female from planet of the apes (the Heston movie). So yeah that puts Heston landing here and apes in clothing with a civilization around 10-15 years from this i guess lol

jett

D-Member
That little girl might be the mute female from planet of the apes (the Heston movie). So yeah that puts Heston landing here and apes in clothing with a civilization around 10-15 years from this i guess lol

Discotheque pls

This is like saying that the orangutan character is Dr Zaius.

Burbeting

Banned
Looks good, but I'm worried the writing will put too much emphasis on the "cute pure child character", which that girl seems to fall into in the trailer. Could be false framing though, that's what happened in previous movie's trailer.

Looks great, I'm not sure it'll be able to top Dawn, but it does look like they're going all out this time in terms of monkey action.

JdFoX187

Banned

Could just be an Easter egg from the original film. I really doubt they were ever intending on getting that far with the franchise. And an actual Planet of the Apes film -- with full Ape City and everything else that comes along with it -- might be difficult to pull off in the tone of the new series.

Black_Sun

Yes, humans sometimes do stupid shit but what James Francos character does in the first movie breaks all suspension of disbelief. He's painted as one a great scientist but given his decision-making skills he'd be a high school drop out at best.

Ben Carson.

Planet of the apes is way, way into the future. It'd be stupid to retcon the original film any earlier, because the infintile nature of humans in that film is essential to the plot - and that's just not achievable without a whole lot of time passing.

Jmille99

This reminds me that I still need to watch the previous films. They always looked good just, for whatever reason, never watched them.

Will need to rectify that

Miles X

So I'm guessing the apes get a pretty substantial win in this one, to progress it forward?

I expect the next (would put money on there being one, unless this bombs which I doubt), will have the apes becoming more like humans, building, imprisoning humans.

Also just checked, Dawn > Rise $229m increase in Box Office, that's great, interesting isn't waning!

B33

Banned
He steals a genetically altered chimp to raise it (and takes it out for a walk!) at the same time his father suffers from dementia. He does this for 3 years!

Fuck that.
Hm.

You have a special interpretation of what happens in Rise.

Go your own way, man.

WillyFive

Looks a bit similar to the previous one, but I'm not going to lie; the last two movies made Planet of the Apes the single best sci-fi film series still running today.

Ashby

The ape and human populations must be so low, can't they just go their separate ways and never have to interact with each other? Why do they keep coming into conflict?

rekameohs

Banned
I'm a bit skeptical that with this film, they seem to have lost a lot of the moral complexity that made Dawn so engaging. There were no real villains on either side in that film, no "good" side or "bad" side to root for...even Gary Oldman's character was very sympathetic. As a result, I really felt that helped make things so much more interesting and suspenseful.

But in this film, the humans seem to be standing much more firmly on the side of evil, with the sides being more clearly drawn. "To save humanity we must abandon our humanity". I get that they're telling a different story here, but from what we've seen, it seems to be a much more generic tale than the previous two films.
The trailers for Dawn were pretty black and white, too. The movie's probably deeper.

You got to admit, it's pretty impressive how they've conditioned the audience to totally accept the protagonist of this movie being a completely CGI character. The amazing seamless CGI helps of course

Rise - Human main character, with a subplot regarding Caesar and the apes
Dawn - Protagonists divided between humans and Caesar, with the greater focus on the apes
War - Caesar as the main protagonist

~Kinggi~

Banned
That was actually better than i thought it was gonna be. Also had no idea Woody was in this. Quality product right here folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom