• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

BigAl1992

The penis nose returns!

xq9NxiR.jpg

R7hZg56.png

I think Hulk was lucky to bail out to Renault. God, what an ugly car compared to the Renault. I think I'd prefer to only see the back of this car. And what's up with the stepped nose? I thought that was banned by the FIA with the modesty plate everyone was banging on about, or am I missing something?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Fiat Multipla.

Fiat Multipla.

That's the one. Thanks. For some reason, I kept thinking it was a Nissan of some sort.

You should also check the Pontiac Aztek.

I did, and I can't say I've ever seen one in person. They're not anywhere near as bad as the multipla though. Plus they get bonus points for me thanks to the breaking bad connection. That said, I don't think I'd ever buy one.

Aka Ferrari SF17-JB

I hope not.

Everytime I come across a Multipla on the road I'm legit amazed that someone went out and bought one.

I mean, why? Why on Earth would you spend your money on that?

My friends and I used to have that exact discussion all the time in high school. At least most ugly cars have some kind of character to them that makes you think "I can see why some people might like that", but the multipla was just one of those jaw-dropping "what were they thinking?" masterpieces of fugliness. I can only assume that people who own one see a car as nothing more than a tool and the multipla just happened to meet their own personal requirements better than other cars within their price range.

I've seen that kind of thing before on a guitar forum where a guy managed to get a really good deal on a guitar that just happened to be in an ugly colour. The guy knew it was ugly, but it played like a dream, sounded great and was significantly cheaper than the same guitar in a nicer colour.

Mastah

Tobi Grüner @tgruener 2m2 minutes ago

According to Force India the 2017 Mercedes PU will produce more power than originally projected. And it needs more air than in 2016.

Other teams and engines will catch up in 2017. For sure!

Zaru

Why does Mercedes have to do EVERYTHING right
They're not behind on anything. Forget general things like engine and aero, they've got top class materials, efficient production processes, hard to copy technology like their suspension, they generally don't have issues with getting tyres up to temperature and their strategy department at least generally doesn't fuck up (though that might also be because they're fast enough to not have to fight)

Even if some team were to beat them on any of these things, it's hard to imagine anyone being their equal in MOST of these.

Ferrari is constantly recovering from personell clusterfucks and seems behind on every technological level, though least of all the engine
Red Bull doesn't have 100% engine manufacturer backing and integration like Mercedes and Ferrari.
McLaren is still playing catch-up and Honda is a big question mark.
Renault is still rebuilding the team and has to hire more key personell.
The rest doesn't even have the budget to think about competing.

Here's to hoping that Mercedes fucked something up because I won't bet on anyone else getting everything right.

Ark

Mercedes spent four years building their operation for the new engine era, they weren't fussed about winning before that.

McLaren have been held back by Honda.

Ferrari needs stability, rather than a revolving door of job vacancies.

Renault needs to rebuild.

Red Bull are the only team on Mercedes's level right now, and I bet they're paying whatever it takes to have equal-works status from Renault.

The Force India.....Is hideous.

DD

Lewis' 2017 helmet:

20172221243894_16463979_103159200204259_6307048011184734208_n_II.jpg

Here it is. The winning helmet design, a creation by Raí Caldato - @caldatodesign from Brazil. Raí evolves my layout by adding new stripe elements on the sides. As a tribute to my hero, Ayrton Senna the helmet features the colours of Brazil - green, yellow and blue. These are accompanied with the 3 stars that represent my Championship wins. There's yellow throughout that reminds me of my helmets in the past. The candy apple red balances with the yellow very well. Raí, I look forward to meeting you in person to present you with your prize! Thank you all for entering this competition, I'm taken back by your creativity. ���� #LH44Design #TeamLH #Blessed @mercedesamgf1 @bellhelmetseurope #bellhelmetseurope​​​ T&C's: http://lewis.social/TCs

EDIT: the designer sent other options (seen here in his Instagram).

h3ro

Whatever he picked people were going to say it's shit, so what does it matter which one he picked lol.

Pretty much.

I still miss his original yellow lid design but this is a great departure from his white lid from the past few seasons and I like the design.

Not a fan of the GIGANTIC RB logo/wordmark on Ricciardo and Verstappen's helmets. Stripped away the majority of their personal designs (even the orange from the Dutchman!) in favor of corporate bullshit.

Jezbollah

Ha, sorry I should have included a /sarcasm at the end.

Hey, it's on me. Too early in the morning for my sarcasmeter to be activated. Also, no coffee :)

I'm ok with that Force India.. That nose is just an evolution over what they've been running in the last couple of seasons.

That Sauber on track... woof. I'm so happy with the return of those wider cars.

dubc35

That Haas mockup livery needs to happen. I love the subtle red/white/blue incorporation without being all 'murica.

Hey, it's on me. Too early in the morning for my sarcasmeter to be activated. Also, no coffee :)
No problem, grab some coffee! :)

John_B

The Sauber looks killer in motion.

The front of the Force India is not aesthetically pleasing but looks complex. The fin/sail could be fixed with an actual shape and a dark color. It's good with some variety in the car designs.

Shaneus

The Sauber looks killer in motion.

The front of the Force India is not aesthetically pleasing but looks complex. The fin/sail could be fixed with an actual shape and a dark color. It's good with some variety in the car designs.
The gold on the Sauber reminds me of when it was used to great effect on the last HRT livery we saw, and even better with the pinstriping on the STR a few years back (when Danny was first driving for them, IIRC).

Love the look of that Sauber.

Zaru

I sure hope Mercedes won't be the only front-runner with a normal nose.

Fake edit: I also sure hope Mercedes won't be the only front-runner

chadskin

“My engineers say it’s going to be a lot harder to overtake,” said Hamilton of the faster, more aggressive-looking cars. “If we see overtaking is worse, it’s going to be worse for the fans, the spectacle will be worse, so I’m hoping that’s not the case.

“Because it’s a bigger, wider car there’s going to be more wake, more downforce, the vortices behind the car are going to be larger, so the car behind will be affected even more.

“I really hope that the engineers, who are the smartest guys, are wrong and I hope that the spectacle is greater and the most competitive that it’s ever been. And if it is, I look forward to being part of that."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...ong-as-f1-2017-overtaking-fears-mount-876131/

UH-OH

Juicy Bob

This is exactly what I've been fearing since the new rules were set in stone. It feels like 'two steps forward, one step back'.

Although saying that, I shall be attending the Mercedes launch at Silverstone today and I am still pretty excited to see it...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes timeline for today's unveiling

23/02/17 (GMT)
12:10 360° Silver Arrow Unveil
14:40 Toto Wolff Q&A
15:45 #LH44 Q&A
16:25 Tech Briefing
18:30 #VB77 Q&A

Also their maiden laps in Silverstone are under question, due to bad weather.

Zeknurn

Everyone has been saying this since the regulations were finalized. (Well, except for the three Red Bull chiefs last week)

I just hope that there's enough room for the FIA to make adjustments to the sport if things gets too bad.

#reversegrid

It's funny how quickly the old tall skyscraper rear wing look completely out of place on a F1 car.

Also I hope Manor hasn't started a trend where the slowest team on the grid completely nail their livery in their final season before folding.

DBT85

If you're doing reverse grids then you need to do something to make qualifying worthwhile. Seeing who can do the best lap on low fuel under pressure needs to still happen. Would have to be points I guess.

I'll still wait for the season to actually start before getting up in arms about it, and then hopefully with Liberty at the helm no dumb rule changes will be introduced without being thought through.

Mastah

Tobi Grüner @tgruener 2m2 minutes ago

According to Force India the 2017 Mercedes PU will produce more power than originally projected. And it needs more air than in 2016.

More:

When asked if he expected more power, he said: “Oh yes. That is what we have been promised.

“It is all part of the data input that goes into all our simulation data, it is part of it. Mercedes HPP (High Performance Powertrains) have done a fantastic job over the winter and made another unprecedented step. It is impressive

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-has-made-unprecedented-step-with-2017-f1-engine-876216/

Top Bottom