• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware/UI Review Thread

WTF is wrong with kotaku? How can you say not yet to both Xbox and ps4? Both are good systems.

They are saying "wait"; both are really in a "beta" stage UI wise IMO so I agree with them. Give these consoles 6 months or more, plus you'll have a better selection to choose from.

K.Sabot

Ugh that front end UI looks as bad as the current Xbox 360 UI.

This really is Windows 8 for Xbox. SQUARES EVERYWHERE

WE NEED MORE SQUARES, READABILITY BE DAMNED, MORE SQUARES

coldfoot

Banned
This picture from Ars is pretty cool:
xb1newest-121.jpg

RE_Player

Why do people say the X1 UI look better? I just don't get it, it's so cluttered, like there's just too much going on. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the way it looks at all.
These are some of the same people who prefer the Xbox 360s UI to the PS3's XMB which is still vastly superior to any of these next generation systems.

Eurogamer - "Pre-launch rumours about Snap being broken appear untrue though - it worked as intended on the beta build we saw in August and it's virtually unchanged here - it's just that actual applications for it are fairly limited right now."

so basically it was fixed before launch then? good news

For the Polygon reviews, The difference in the introductions between the PS4 and Xbox One is like night and day. PS4 is like a school report and Xbox One like a love letter from a stalker.

jbug617

Banned
Phil Kollar put his thoughts on Twitter.

@pkollar: Biggest surprise: How improved Kinect is. I was very cynical and down on Kinect last-gen, but this one works so much more flawlessly.

@pkollar: It also works in my tiny-ass SF apartment's living room, which last-gen Kinect would not.

@pkollar: Also as voyeur-creepy as it can feel, there's something SUPER cool about how the One turns on, recognizes me via Kinect, and auto-signs in

@pkollar: Xbox One negative: Like PS4, there's no real game organization in your downloaded library. It's a mess. And the store is bad too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
8 is what everyone should have expected from Polygon.

Should be an interesting thread - curious to see how long GAF stays up.

Here's the deal. The PS4 has objectively better hardware. It's more powerful and in a smaller enclosure.

The controller is a wash.

The Xbox One is less powerful, but has Kinect and more media features in a $100 more expensive package.

In my opinion, the only way the Xbox One should be getting a higher score is if the Kinect is really amazing, or the media features are just absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. Because, let's be honest, most of us have something that can play Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, etc. Shit, I have multiple consoles, multiple computers, two tablets and a phone that does.

I'll reserve judgement; but I can't see how the Kinect could possibly be that amazing, considering there are no worthwhile launch games that use it. And because of THAT, I'm hesitant to believe better scores. But we shall see...

Interesting quote about exclusives and load times from Polygon:

The Xbox One is a hundred dollars more than its direct competition, and several third-party games run in lower resolution than they do on the PS4. Every exclusive title is beset by long load times. But Microsoft has managed to complement an otherwise competent collection of third party releases with a strong lineup of games that are only available on Xbox One.

ironcreed

Banned
The Eurogamer review told me what I needed to know. It sounds pretty damn solid out of the gate and will only improve as it matures. But what really appeals to me is how quiet and cool it remains while gaming. Sold.

rjcc

These are some of the same people who prefer the Xbox 360s UI to the PS3's XMB which is still vastly superior to any of these next generation systems.

the xmb is great, if you like being six steps away from being able to start moving towards where you want to be with two words on the screen and tons of empty space.

TyrantII

XB1 runs hotter than the PS4! Damn. (not by much)

I would have guessed the other way around due to the difference in hardware and design. It does run quieter, which was expected.

PG2G

In my opinion, the only way the Xbox One should be getting a higher score is if the Kinect is really amazing, or the media features are just absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. Because, let's be honest, most of us have something that can play Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, etc. Shit, I have multiple consoles, multiple computers, two tablets and a phone that does. .

How about if the games are better?

8 is what everyone should have expected from Polygon.

Should be an interesting thread - curious to see how long GAF stays up.

Here's the deal. The PS4 has objectively better hardware. It's more powerful and in a smaller enclosure.

The controller is a wash.

The Xbox One is less powerful, but has Kinect and more media features in a $100 more expensive package.

In my opinion, the only way the Xbox One should be getting a higher score is if the Kinect is really amazing, or the media features are just absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. Because, let's be honest, most of us have something that can play Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, etc. Shit, I have multiple consoles, multiple computers, two tablets and a phone that does.

I'll reserve judgement; but I can't see how the Kinect could possibly be that amazing, considering there are no worthwhile launch games that use it. And because of THAT, I'm hesitant to believe better scores. But we shall see...

wat

artist

Banned
Eurogamer said:
With Forza 5 and Ryse installed to the hard drive, in addition to a number of other review titles, our concern now is all about storage management. Here's where things get a little strange. As far as we can tell, there is no storage overview to tell you how much hard drive space remains or allow you to delete items in one centralised location.
Trollface

MormaPope

Banned
Ugh that front end UI looks as bad as the current Xbox 360 UI.

This really is Windows 8 for Xbox. SQUARES EVERYWHERE

WE NEED MORE SQUARES, READABILITY BE DAMNED, MORE SQUARES

The 360 one seems better because there isn't a giant flood of tiles to go through, things are marked and tidy. The Xbox One UI seems built around the idea of fiddling with random stuff.

RoKKeR

Concluding quote from Sessler's review:

For now, the Xbox One is a compelling platform with inventive ideas and lots of potential, but it's also a walking contradiction. It's a device built around new media, supporting video apps, live video chat, and custom gameplay videos. But one of it's primary features is also a lifeline to old media, live TV. And what value does that bring outside of news and sports? Everything else is already being delivered in a much more consumable and better designed way with apps like Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Go. Microsoft is betting big on live TV staying relevant over the next decade, and we'll have to wait and see if that pays off.

Eurogamer - "Pre-launch rumours about Snap being broken appear untrue though - it worked as intended on the beta build we saw in August and it's virtually unchanged here - it's just that actual applications for it are fairly limited right now."

so basically it was fixed before launch then? good news

I actually think they are saying the "insider" rumors were completely false; notice they say the "beta build" they tried earlier work, and the build at launch works.

Doesn't surprise me. The insiders haven't had the best of years IMO.

GhaleonEB

Ars said:
The bad

Case is boxy, heavy, and about as big as the original Xbox.
Many launch games don't pack much of a visual punch.
Controller still uses AA batteries and proprietary headsets.
Voice commands fail a good 10 to 20 percent of the time.
System requires incredible precision in what voice commands it will take.
Voice is cumbersome and annoying in many apps.
Most apps are nearly useless in snap mode.

The ugly

Kinect auto-login works inconsistently.
In-game recording was largely busted on my review unit.
Switching from game to game can delete unsaved data without warning.

Kinect IR remote doesn't have a learning function for unsupported hardware.
Considering the $100 extra for Kinect, it's pretty damning that it comes with so many negatives. Those last two points are pretty big ones. MS needs to get them cleaned up and fast.

we also saw tak other time it worked much better.

The reviewers who are having the consoles in thier living room for the past week are saying otherwise.

Nilay had zero nice words for the reliability of voice commands on Kinect... even when he's using it alone in room with regular air conditioning.

Cool features, but frustrating as it's not sufficiently intuitive and still doesn't recognise you enough times.

diggler41

Looks like I made the right choice in grabbing a WiiU and a PS4 this past month. Will pick up a Xbox One next fall when all the kinks are worked out . And DR3 is under $30 :)

Top Bottom