• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware/UI Review Thread

scoobs

This is the part where your credibility goes down the toilet.

Have you used the PS4 controller? It is quite good. I haven't tried out the XB1 controller but if i had to pick between the 360 controller or PS4, I'd probably go PS4, and I've long considered the 360 controller to be the absolute king of controllers.

They are saying "wait"; both are really in a "beta" stage UI wise IMO so I agree with them. Give these consoles 6 months or more, plus you'll have a better selection to choose from.

Now or never! I played 8 long years on the old consoles. My eyes are thanking me for the 1080p gaming goodness they're witnessing now.

GetemMa

This is the UI that people claim is objectively superior to the PS4 UI?
ku-xlarge.gif

It's full of squares and transition animations.

Yeah I don't get it either.

The PS4 UI is brain dead simple, quick to navigate, and it has no marketing clutter what so ever. Using the share features couldn't be any more simple.

By comparison the Xbone UI looks like it was thrown up on by my TV Guide.

Miles X

Great reviews!!! Can't wait to pick it up in less than 48 hours.

Verge XB1 > PS4 > WiiU, so not just Polygon that rates it higher ..

Pain

Banned
I've got a PS4, and coming from Xbox360, I've got to say that MS's UI is still better than digging around in half a dozen poorly named sub-menus just to get to where I want.
Care to give some examples?

As someone who has a PS4, I can tell you that everything is easy to find. No cluttered menus. It also looks way faster than that gif of the UI someone posted above.

Dead

well not really...yet
To be honest I do want to buy a Bone at launch for Dead Rising 3, KI and maybe Rise, but everything else just seems like a total "meh"

Talking to my device isn't fun with a Samsung shit TV, and it wont be fun on a Kinect, especially with any sort of voice recognition issues, I can't fathom ever wanting to use the HDMI in when I have an AV receiver, the UI is more W8 design and Snap seems to be a wash as well (works, but apps perform poorly)...

All of the negatives would be easier to swallow if it werent $500

GhaleonEB

I think both systems would have been better served launching next year, but the issues will surely be cleaned up as we go along. Whatever. It is what it is and I want them both. Xbox One first, though.

A year from now, the system will undoubtedly be much more polished. But the rumors of the rough/rushed OS and features seem to be playing out at launch.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Polygon is a joke. This finally pushes it over the edge, I'm going to blacklist the site on my router.

Beant

Actually having to say Redbox Instant by Verizon is fucking hilarious. Seriously the funniest thing i have read all day.

dejay

Banned
About what I expected, a 3/4 baked cake.

I'll let it finish off at home. Pity about the voice commands - I was hoping for better, although Kinect 1.0 is doing pretty good for me most of the time.

Wait a minute. Are they actually saying that this much lag is acceptable? Would they have been so forgiving if the lag on the Vita was that bad?

MS isn't saying you should plug in your consoles through HDMI In...they just tried it to see.

HDMI in's sole purpose is for the cable box functionality and that is the only thing officially supported by MS.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Unfortunately, the Kinect's gesture functionality is inconsistent at best. The camera is sluggish to respond and the gestures required to move from screen to screen are goofy and awkward. Across a couple of different living rooms, I have yet to get the Kinect to respond to my gestures in a consistent fashion. In one of the setups I tested, I'd be watching a movie while leaning back, feet in the air. The Kinect would regularly read my feet as my hands, suddenly pausing playback or switching apps.

Hah wow, it never occurred to me that the Kinect would mistake feet for hands. That would ruin my setup too.

Running games is a seriously power-consuming business, and to ensure no repeat of the RROD fiasco, airflow and cooling is Xbox One's primary concern in terms of the form factor. In this sense, Microsoft has clearly delivered.

loved my 360, but hated the RROD fiasco, so so bad. Glad MS delivered on this front.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you’re a Redbox Instant subscriber, get used to calling it "Redbox Instant by Verizon," because the Kinect won’t accept anything less. There are dozens more examples like these.

Stuff like that is hilariously dumb. I feel the same way about having to call it Forza Motorsport 5 or whatever instead of just Forza 5.

Not being able to check the space on the harddrive is also one hell of a headscratcher.

MormaPope

Banned
Never believed for a second that the voice commands would work perfectly, if Apple, Google and the rest havent been able to do them 100% properly, neither will MS, so i am not disappointing. Just funny that people believed this would have been the case.

And dont even expect Kinect to work 100% of the time either, no matter how much they have improved it.

The most important is that the basic shit works, and it seems like it does for the Xbone, and that is all you could ever hope and expect at launch

If the PS4 handles basic shit at $100 less, I see no reason to get a Xbone in the future. And it's not like Sony isn't going to update and add features to the PS4. A large amount of consumers don't want Kinect, Kinect would have to be a "killer app" of sorts for consideration, it isn't, therefore the people that didn't want Kinect before will feel the same.

njean777

I don't really care for the ps4 UI as of yet, but damn that xbox UI looks like a cluttered mess. How anybody likes that is beyond me, at least Sony went for simple, though I think the XMB was perfect. Really wish they would have stayed with the XMB and just made it more pretty.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
It looks bad and I can see where's it's going as far as ads go. The PS4 UI is no gamechanger but it's spartan and functional. The Xbone UI already looks cluttered and spammy.

To each their own, I really dislike the PS4 UI - ill be curious too see how I like this one on Friday

Majine

Banned
Yeah I don't get it either.

The PS4 UI is brain dead simple, quick to navigate, and it has no marketing clutter what so ever. Using the share features couldn't be any more simple.

By comparison the Xbone UI looks like it was thrown up on by my TV Guide.

Why do people say that? The What's New section has ads too.

NBtoaster

Kotaku's entire review system is a logical mess.

Don't buy a system, that is objectively better than the one you already own (that applies from Wii to WiiU, Xbox360 to Xbone, and PS3 to PS4) because they will get better in the future. That is what they've said all 3 times. Well no shit Kotaku.

Even with some features missing, these systems are still WAY more stacked with features and power than their last gen counterparts. It isn't even close.

They are basically telling you to wait because it will get better and I'm guessing they want to prevent our "suffering" through a few little launch bumps because it would be too much for our fragile psyches.

It's really silly to spend $400-500 for future promise. Get them when they actually have system sellers.

I'm not a big fan of metro either. Maybe the UI works better on a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard. But the Metro color scheme is still disjointed and tacky.

Other than that, the reviews are about what I expected. The OS seems like it needs work, features are missing, voice/motion support is spotty, reviewers aren't sure what the "point" of live TV is when things like Netflix exist, etc.

But I'm still wondering what the insider "wait till launch, risks everywhere" and "the OS is broken" was about. It seems like a rocky launch but nothing disastrous so far. Maybe MS hauled ass to improve the OS between then and now.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it, I AM GOING TO WAIT ON THE XB1. I'M GOING TO WAIT DAMN IT. So hard to hold out!

Everdred

Great reviews!!! Can't wait to pick it up in less than 48 hours.

Verge XB1 > PS4 > WiiU, so not just Polygon that rates it higher ..
Because of their mobile part of the site, I have a hard time trusting any reviews from there. Nothing to do with XB1 vs PS4 but I don't trust them.

Top Bottom