• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware/UI Review Thread

Loofy

Quick question while the system is in standby can you say something like "Xbox channel 242" or "Xbox watch Star Trek"?
Or do you have to say "Xbox on" and stuff first.

kevlar35

Banned
So the Xbox One hardware review thread has devolved into posts claiming, indirectly, that 'the entire media (except the ones that gave lowish scores) have been paid off by M$'.

Not a shock unfortunately.

The reception to reviews here is a bit different than expected. At work we went through a handful of reviews sampled together by an analyst package, and our conclusion was that actually the reviews were a bit negative. I've only read about 6 reviews but most seemed to complain about the IR blaster resulting in clunky TV controls, the tedious non-casual set-up (not having 'living room' functionality pre-installed), the adding of extra steps (e.g. app selection and boot-up) that make previously instant TV activities more annoying, and generally a negative impression of its multi-media capabilities to the average joe. The key theme seemed to be good ideas but bad execution with good future potential.

So some of the focus on the headlines is surprising to me because I didn't feel the reviews I saw really put it that much beyond a gaming device. If anything, the reviews of it as a gaming device are the strong suit because most of the multimedia elements were negative or at least below expectations. Most of the positive marks for its multimedia were always contingent on future updates or described as potential.

The reception to reviews here is a bit different than expected. At work we went through a handful of reviews sampled together by an analyst package, and our conclusion was that actually the reviews were a bit negative. I've only read about 6 reviews but most seemed to complain about the IR blaster resulting in clunky TV controls, the tedious non-casual set-up (not having 'living room' functionality pre-installed), the adding of extra steps (e.g. app selection and boot-up) that make previously instant TV activities more annoying, and generally a negative impression of its multi-media capabilities to the average joe. The key theme seemed to be good ideas but bad execution with good future potential.

So some of the focus on the headlines is surprising to me because I didn't feel the reviews I saw really put it that much beyond a gaming device. If anything, the reviews of it as a gaming device are the strong suit because most of the multimedia elements were negative or at least below expectations. Most of the positive marks for its multimedia were always contingent on future updates or described as potential.
I agree, none of the reviews seem controversial. Besides the phrase "too future" I guess.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.

h7FCkcB.jpg

I also noticed a lot of sites use the phrase "it feels like the future" or "its like a vision of the future". Even Brad Shoemaker whipped the line out on the bombcast.

Maybe someone at MS drilled some lines into reviewers heads at the review event or something because a lot of them are suspiciously similar at times.

JaggedSac

I also noticed a lot of sites use the phrase "it feels like the future" or "its like a vision of the future". Even Brad Shoemaker whipped the line out on the bombcast.

Maybe someone at MS drilled some lines into reviewers heads at the review event or something because a lot of them are suspiciously similar at times.

Brad in MS' pocket confirmed.

That really is strange. Of all the terms to hammer on, "beyond gaming" is quite strange to appear repeatedly like that.

People are attributing this to some grand Microsoft conspiracy when it is nothing more than laziness. They simply copy the press release because it is faster and easier than coming up with their own material. Don't get carried away, guys.

That really is strange. Of all the terms to hammer on, "beyond gaming" is quite strange to appear repeatedly like that.

Yeah its just weird we are seeing so many sites using the same buzz words.

Some Google-fu shows the "its like a vision of the future" line has shown up at...

Polygon
CNN
The Rolling Stone
Giant Bomb

And a few random sites.

Like I said I guess I could understand it if they went to that Xbox Review event a week or so ago and MS PR just drilled them with these buzz words during interviews and they got stuck in all the reviewers heads or something. Right now all the weirdly similar reviews make it look like everyone copied the same guys homework before school.

inherendo

I feel that they should have delayed it till end of next yr and gone for 20nm tech and ddr4 ram... Also fine tune the kinect maybe

This console is too ambitious for what's under the hood

ddr4 is still new, if they didn't think they could get enough gddr5 while developing it, what makes you think there would be anywhere near enough supply of a very recent memory. As for the 20nm process, it is still very new as well, and the foundries are struggling with it, hence the delays for amd and nvidias newer chips. Also, targeting a price would prevent either company from taking advantage of either technology.

Guys all this salt is bad for your blood pressure.

First a conspiracy then accusing Microsoft PR of being too effective? Now I've heard it all. Microsoft has it's own RDF now I guess. Maybe "futuristic" and "beyond gaming" are just the easiest ways to describe it. CNN referred to the Skype experience on XB1 as something out of the Jetsons, but I wonder if some would even understand that reference.

Was just listening to the Bombcast where both Jeff and Brad said the PS4 feels like a 2013 console while the XB1 feels like something from the future. The features they're describing on the XB1 sound fucking incredible (profile management, controller syncing, storage management, etc) get over it and grow up. The XB1 and PS4 are going to be around for a long time, there is no wrong choice, some people are going to prefer the XB1. Be happy there is competition.

Guys all this salt is bad for your blood pressure.

First a conspiracy then accusing Microsoft PR of being too effective? Now I've heard it all. Microsoft has it's own RDF now I guess. Maybe "futuristic" and "beyond gaming" are just the easiest ways to describe it. CNN referred to the Skype experience on XB1 as something out of the Jetsons, but I wonder if some would even understand that reference.

Was just listening to the Bombcast where both Jeff and Brad said the PS4 feels like a 2013 console while the XB1 feels like something from the future. The features they're describing on the XB1 sound fucking incredible (profile management, controller syncing, storage management, etc) get over it and grow up. The XB1 and PS4 are going to be around for a long time, there is no wrong choice, some people are going to prefer the XB1. Be happy there is competition.

Are you a journalist? Do you write for a living? If you did, what makes you different than someone at a different outlet if you can't find a different term for Xbox's expanded entertainment capabilities as everyone else? So "beyond gaming" is the only way to express that the console has many functions, for people who are paid to write in distinct and creative ways for a living?

I'm not calling a conspiracy, but it would be a good idea to use some critical thought once in a while and ask questions.

Haven't kept up, but are the CBOAT issues true?

He didn't really go into specifics about anything other than twitch, which turned out true.

Kinect also appears to be wildly consistent, I don't know why anyone would want to control the system with voice commands in its current state.

But he made it seem like there were much larger issues. I think thuway hinted at problems with chat and stability.

Have there been any mentions of this or is the UI fairly stable?

iceatcs

He didn't really go into specifics about anything other than twitch, which turned out true.

Kinect also appears to be wildly consistent, I don't know why anyone would want to control the system with voice commands in its current state.

But he made it seem like there were much larger issues. I think thuway hinted at problems with chat and stability.

I think it is nothing to do with that. It was something do with the register on the system at day one. You cannot play the game until register by online. If server crash, new users cannot play yet.

Just tune in tomorrow. If there are issues, there will be a ton of threads about it.

Fnord

Really? That's awesome.

I think it's little things like these that will make the PS4 eventually feel pretty limited in comparison.

How is this substantively different from the PS4 (or PS3, for that matter), putting the controller to sleep after a certain amount of time of inactivity? Especially the DS4, since it reconnects to the system in about a second.

Edit: Beaten like a red headed step child.

Famous mentioned chat issues that could last for months. Thuway claimed snap and smartglass were crashing games/broken.

We'll know about chat tomorrow, but snap doesn't appear to cause games to crash, although it is laggy and smartglass seems to work fine based on the newly released X1 app...

Top Bottom