• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, game coming to Wii U VC in Japan on 3/20

:'( we are never gonna get it.
i will check out the miiverse but wont post in it

I post in the other vc and nintendo game miiverses, yup im one of those guys :(

I think the fact that it was a text heavy GBA game released in 2006 was the biggest reason we didn't see it come over. If the game came out in say, 2004, I think we would have seen a 2005 release worldwide. Aside from Japan, Nintendo seemed to be finished with the GBA by 2006 (with many releases in 2005)

Just talking with regards to a re-release. Releasing the original GBA version was always an impossibility, as you say.

Drago

Just talking with regards to a re-release. Releasing the original GBA version was always an impossibility, as you say.

Ah, missed that point.

Anyways, Miiverse seems pretty half and half with Earthbound requests and Japanese posters. I can't help but think that many of the Japanese posters are complaining about all the westerners in there. :p

It's good that people want to protest, but try not to fuck up Miiverse by making Nintendo change the rules or region lock the communities. When user created communities arrive we can make a "Bring Mother 2" community that Nintendo will hopefully not ignore.

It's good that people want to protest, but try not to fuck up Miiverse by making Nintendo change the rules or region lock the communities. When user created communities arrive we can make a "Bring Mother 2" community that Nintendo will hopefully not ignore.
No, we NEED to fuck up Miiverse because it is the most insane thing to not release this in NA (and EU) when there is no reason for them not too. I mean, there can't be any copyrights problems since its releasing in JP when it didn't on Wii so theres no fucking excuse. None at all.

Next time I turn my Wii on, I shall join the Miiverse war and Yeah everypost I see about bringing it outside JP and make my own post about it. Nintendo needs to get a brain and release this. I want to play and so bad but I'm not paying $250 for a used copy on ebay that may have problems down the line. Put it up on the Shop for $50. No one cares, just get it in the eShop Nintendo! RIGHT NOW!!!

backlot

You can let Nintendo know you want to play the game without being militant and fucking anything up. No need to make them hate us.

Drago

You can let Nintendo know you want to play the game without being militant and fucking anything up. No need to make them hate us.

There were some Miiverse posts saying things like "STOP BEING SO STUBBORN ITOI, RELEASE THIS IN AMERICA!" and "If this doesn't come over I'm going to pirate the game"

Pretty terrible stuff. Much more good than bad, but still :/

backlot

There were some Miiverse posts saying things like "STOP BEING SO STUBBORN ITOI, RELEASE THIS IN AMERICA!" and "If this doesn't come over I'm going to pirate the game"

Pretty terrible stuff. Much more good than bad, but still :/

I haven't seen any of those but that sounds terrible. I just post drawings.

BooJoh

No, we NEED to fuck up Miiverse because it is the most insane thing to not release this in NA (and EU) when there is no reason for them not too. I mean, there can't be any copyrights problems since its releasing in JP when it didn't on Wii so theres no fucking excuse. None at all.

Next time I turn my Wii on, I shall join the Miiverse war and Yeah everypost I see about bringing it outside JP and make my own post about it. Nintendo needs to get a brain and release this. I want to play and so bad but I'm not paying $250 for a used copy on ebay that may have problems down the line. Put it up on the Shop for $50. No one cares, just get it in the eShop Nintendo! RIGHT NOW!!!

Peaceful protests will accomplish far more than riots.

Nice posts: Nintendo sees them and thinks "Hey, this game has a lot of fans in the west, maybe we should throw them a bone."

Hateful/disruptive posts: Nintendo sees them, bans the posters and thinks: "Wow, these Westerners are ruining this event for the Japanese players, Itoi, and everyone in general. Let's prevent this from happening in the future by not allowing cross-region Miiverse community access."

Drago

It makes me wonder - why was Mother 2 (and 1 for that matter) never put on the Wii VC in Japan? There was the demo for it in SSBB and there were probably no copyright issues holding it back then (not to mention an earlier GBA rerelease), so why wait until now to put it out?

It makes me wonder - why was Mother 2 (and 1 for that matter) never put on the Wii VC in Japan? There was the demo for it in SSBB and there were probably no copyright issues holding it back then (not to mention an earlier GBA rerelease), so why wait until now to put it out?
Fuzzy pickles

Maybe in an attempt to get westerners to shut up about it, Nintendo took drastic uncouth measures and deprived it from THE ENTIRE WORLD, desperately hoping the next generation of children would have no memory of the game and thus no reason to relentlessly beg for it.

But there was one problem with their little plan...

(Smash Bros.)

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Can you gift items on the eShop like you could on Wii? I would legitimately pay full price to gift EB to everyone on my friends list. No joke

BriBri

Peaceful protests will accomplish far more than riots.

Nice posts: Nintendo sees them and thinks "Hey, this game has a lot of fans in the west, maybe we should throw them a bone."

Hateful/disruptive posts: Nintendo sees them, bans the posters and thinks: "Wow, these Westerners are ruining this event for the Japanese players, Itoi, and everyone in general. Let's prevent this from happening in the future by not allowing cross-region Miiverse community access."
Yeah, I can actually see Miiverse being region locked before Earthbound seeing western release.

Harpuia

It's a crying shame the US will never see another release of the Mother games. :/ They're some damn fine games they are.

Huh, just read the Punch Out book kick-starter thread and NOA just seems to really love playing safe when it comes to copyright infringement. Copy right was always the main obstacle of the Mother series in the US, and it seems it will always be an issue...

Drago

I lost my copy of Earthbound in a move so I need this Virtual Console release pretty badly, heh. I refuse to pay upwards of $200 for another copy of it, and if it really never comes out in NA (giving it until the end of summer before I give up hope) then I'm going to be extremely pissed.

Davey Cakes

Can you gift items on the eShop like you could on Wii? I would legitimately pay full price to gift EB to everyone on my friends list. No joke
I'm pretty sure a lot of people would do this, which is why I think EB could sell a lot on VC.

That said, there is no gifting option anymore. An odd omission, definitely, since people enjoyed that aspect of the Wii's shop.

Do people honestly believe the game won't be released stateside at all? The reason it isn't part of the Famicom anniversary promotion is because Nintendo of America doesn't want to charge 30 cents for a game with a suggested retail price of 200 dollars.

mdtauk

Do people honestly believe the game won't be released stateside at all? The reason it isn't part of the Famicom anniversary promotion is because Nintendo of America doesn't want to charge 30 cents for a game with a suggested retail price of 200 dollars.

Why would Nintendo care about the online auction pricing for one of their games, when they don't see any of that money?

Why would Nintendo care about the online auction pricing for one of their games, when they don't see any of that money?
Because they can take advantage of American consumers by increasing the price. Eight dollars is certainly much better than 30 cents, don't you agree?

catabarez

Now I'm glad I was able to get a cart for 40 bucks a few years ago. I was considering getting a second one I found on Craigslist for a similar price but I was out of cash :(

mdtauk

Because they can take advantage of American consumers by increasing the price. Eight dollars is certainly much better than 30 cents, don't you agree?

They could have released Earthbound or the translated Mother 1 at any point for a fuller price on the Wii Virtual Console.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
They'll probably just package this with Mother 3 so they can sell it in the US as a 40 dollar cart.
LG0Nmes.gif

Except that would be the best deal to ever hit gaming, my friend.

L Thammy

Remember, Nintendo is a business. They ultimately want to sell you a product that earns them money. There's no way that they can see a large number of people saying "I want to buy your product" and not want to satisfy those people.

Of course, they might not be able to do that and still cut a profit. Albums that have had unlicensed sampling have, among other things, had all profits seized. They've also been cases where all unsold copies of the album have been destroyed. I don't know if it's a problem in Japan, but it's a big deal in America and Europe.

If memory serves, Mother 3 was actually considered for English release. But it was at the end of the GBA's life. Magical Starsign was released as a test game since it's also by Brownie Brown. It was a bad test and Mother 3 didn't come out, but the test happened was because Nintendo was reacting to fan output.

NCL won't be offended by Miiverse posts whether they listen or not. They wouldn't have Club Nintendo surveys if they didn't want to gather information from customers.

The Japanese viewers on Miiverse might be confused or alarmed by a swarm of English text. If you draw a nice picture and have some English text alongside they should just think of you as a foreign fan.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313552759834165248

[岩田]こんにちは、任天堂の岩田です。20日からWii Uバーチャルコンソール版『MOTHER2』が配信されます。私自身もプログラマーとして関わった、とても思い出深いソフトです。自宅で懐かしいものを見つけたので、写真を掲載します。

[Iwata] Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. From the 20th you will be able to download Mother 2 on the Wii U virtual console. I was involved with this game as a programmer, so it is a game with a lot of memories for me. I found something familiar at home, so I thought I'd share.

BFn2kuTCQAAuUuv.jpg

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313553070455943168

[岩田]また、糸井重里さんとの『MOTHER2』をめぐる対談が、「ほぼ日」さんで掲載されています。今日から3日間の連載となるそうです。ご興味のある方は、ぜひご一読ください。http://www.1101.com/nintendo/mother2_wiiu/2013-03-18.html

Also, a conversation with Mr. Itoi is posted over at Hobonichi. From today, a new piece will be upload every day until the 20th. Please take the chance to read it, if you have time. http://www.1101.com/nintendo/mother2_wiiu/2013-03-18.html

extralite

Ah, missed that point.

Anyways, Miiverse seems pretty half and half with Earthbound requests and Japanese posters. I can't help but think that many of the Japanese posters are complaining about all the westerners in there. :p

Why would they when they can filter the community to only show Japanese posts?

I even saw a Japanese/English post asking about how the Western Mother 2 is compared to the original. Also some posters were impressed that the game is so popular in the West.

[岩田]こんにちは、任天堂の岩田です。昨日に続き、『MOTHER2』のグッズです。これは、スタッフに配られた特製のスカジャンです。ロゴも、しっかりと刺繍で再現されています。これも、私の宝物の一つです。 pic.twitter.com/Nk1PORojeX

[Iwata]Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. Continuing on from yesterday, here are more 'Mother 2' goods. This is a specially-made jacket that was given out to the staff who worked on Mother 2. The logo has been recreated in embroidery. This, too, is one of my treasures. pic.twitter.com/Nk1PORojeX

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313834574473994241

BFr24fpCIAALWfu.jpg

Frolow

Banned
This is actually my question; Japan has already received the VC version, right? So, does anyone know what (if anything) has changed? maybe this is why all the news outlet have kept quiet about this...
Frank's theme hasn't changed, that's the only thing confirmed so far.

extralite

I can't download right now because I'm getting 111-9001 errors but I already saw two people on Miiverse who posted screenshots of the game's character naming screen showing the auto-name funtion name Ness chinchin. This means sit as in what you say to a dog but is also a word for penis, lol.

Drago

It says sale under Mother 2 - is the game staying up on the shop even after the 30 days of the promotion are up? The other 30 cent games went down after their 30 days ended.

Also, to Japan,
LLShC.gif

Tenki

[岩田]こんにちは、任天堂の岩田です。昨日に続き、『MOTHER2』のグッズです。これは、スタッフに配られた特製のスカジャンです。ロゴも、しっかりと刺繍で再現されています。これも、私の宝物の一つです。 pic.twitter.com/Nk1PORojeX

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313834574473994241

BFr24fpCIAALWfu.jpg

Just imagine Iwata into that jacket. Such a badass :lol

Top Bottom