• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WotC And Hasbro Are Investing $1 Billion In Their AAA Game Ecosystem

Draugoth

Gold Member

Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast want a bigger piece of the gaming industry's pie, especially after the huge success of Larian Studios' Baldur's Gate 3. To that end, both companies are investing nearly one billion dollars into their shared gaming ecosystem, which includes half a dozen studios. Some of these studios are working on more Dungeons & Dragons games, while others are working on other Hasbro IP--Atomic Arcade is tackling a G.I. Joe Snake Eyes game, for example--and still more are creating brand-new IPs​

Given the success of Baldur's Gate 3, is the goal for all of your D&D projects to replicate those systems? Or make games that are as different as possible an experience from Baldur's Gate 3?

We were obviously thrilled at the reception of Baldur's Gate 3. I think that proved a lot of things. People want these kinds of games and they want high quality, and things that are true to the franchise. So we obviously don't exist on an island. When we make a D&D game, we work with the D&D team. We also want to tie into what they're planning for future releases and things like that. So the different types of games and the roadmaps we have are tied in with a larger D&D strategy. So you may see some overlap, but if you do, it's intentional. And that's kind of where I go back to the studios having their creative freedom, but there's still that larger plan. So you're going to be seeing a number of different kinds of D&D experiences coming.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but they're investing in their AAA game ecosystem after Larian's massive success with BG3... after Larian have said they aren't doing D&D next and probably won't work with Hasbro because almost the entire D&D team was laid off?

https_bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.am.jpeg

Dazraell

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but they're investing in their AAA game ecosystem after Larian's massive success with BG3... after Larian have said they aren't doing D&D next and probably won't work with Hasbro because almost the entire D&D team was laid off?

You're grasping wrong straws here. Larian's founder basically said that they are not interested in doing more D&D as they feel they did everything they wanted and his team had some ideas for projects they felt much more excited than continuing working on this licence. He actually praised working with WotC and Hasbro. What this press release means is that company will invest for more games based on this licence and most probably look for some partners who could develop more games based on D&D licence as they see BG3 success as a good motivator

I'm not optimistic at all. I have a buddy that works for dnd beyond, which is owned by WOTC. He and his team had to scrap a years worth of work because, in his words, "the political climate, the higher ups didn't like the phrasing of things and had to be scrapped not to offend the weak minded". That and them recently equating orcs, goblins and shit with human ethnicties and calling gygax and crew racist, firing artists for their speech, and catering to the reset era types... I have ZERO faith in this company.
This is not TSR, this is not WOTC of even 10-20 years ago. Its gone to shit.

BG3 was succesful due to Larian being a European dev with passion. They were probably not micromanaged and let to do their thing. I doubt WOTC will do this with that much money on the line.

Last edited:
I'm not optimistic at all. I have a buddy that works for dnd beyond, which is owned by WOTC. He and his team had to scrap a years worth of work because, in his words, "the political climate, the higher ups didn't like the phrasing of things and had to be scrapped not to offend the weak minded". That and them recently equating orcs, goblins and shit with human ethnicties and calling gygax and crew racist, firing artists for their speech, and catering to the reset era types... I have ZERO faith in this company.
This is not TSR, this is not WOTC of even 10-20 years ago. Its gone to shit.

BG3 was succesful due to Larian being a European dev with passion. They were probably not micromanaged and let to do their thing. I doubt WOTC will do this with that much money on the line.
This!

Seriously, fuck Wizards of the Coast.

Saw several youtubes showing how Disney toys are not selling. Starwars and Marvel figures just sitting on discount store shelves.
Video Games seem to be the only thing kids want.
Action figures are for old collectors.

Wildebeest

I hope you guys are excited by the prospect of a AAA D&D branded extraction shooter, a AAA D&D branded battle royale, and a AAA D&D branded arty "telltale-like" with no disgusting elitist RPG combat or character building.

Fbh

Fast forward 6-7 years after multiple failed projects where they went to lesser developers to have them make some woke trash that didn't sell nearly as much and they finally figure out BG3 was extremely popular because of the amazing job Larian did, and not because of the D&D IP.

The shareholder meeting will be like:
Season 16 Fx GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ozriel

M$FT
I have a buddy that works for dnd beyond, which is owned by WOTC. He and his team had to scrap a years worth of work because, in his words, "the political climate, the higher ups didn't like the phrasing of things and had to be scrapped not to offend the weak minded".

Yeah, nobody’s going to scrap a year of paid development for this reason.

DARK SUN, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!
Will never happen. The brutality, slavery, the Mul Race (human dwarf crossbreeds):

see:
"Because they are strong, tough, quick, and blessed with fantastic endurance, muls are high prized as slaves. In fact, most muls are born into slavery, products of the slave pits —owners recognize the muls' assets as gladiators and laborers, and so order the births of as many muls as can be managed within the ranks of their slaves. Muls are born sterile —they cannot perpetuate their kind.

Born as they are to lives of slave labor, with the taskmaster's whip taking the place of parents and family, muls are given to a gruff personality and violent reactions. Understandably, many never seek friends or companionship but live out their lives in servitude, driven by hatred and spite. Most, however, learn who to trust in the slave pits and who not to, gaining favor and reputation among the other slaves." -from dark sun campaign setting 2e.

No way wizards of the woke would allow this.
They would neuter the world and not have class restrictions, let alone race types. They think having races is racist.
Thri-kreen mantis warriors.
Wizards that drain the life of their surroundings, and preservers who have self control.
Slaves, and more slaves.
Gladiators
Psionics

Dark sun is an amazing setting, along with Ravenloft (which they did release for 5e, in a neutered state, as well as changing most of the characters to meet "modern audience standards" lol)...
I wouldn't trust Dark Sun with WOTC for anything. That was a pure TSR thing and if you have the box set still, keep it and use it for 5e if you play that.

The whole game is so much different now then the awesomeness that was 1ed, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd editions. I can't explain it but everything from tone, to artwork to the woke language, it just doesn't draw me in.
Wonder if there is any other rpg companies with some balls to make something gritty like dark sun?

Larian could do it, but I can't see WOTC letting them.

Last edited:
Yeah, nobody’s going to scrap a year of paid development for this reason.
He was probably embellishing a bit on what actually occurred, but I don't doubt that actual progress was brought back. This guy lives and breaths DnD/Adnd and this was his dream job. A year ago he would of never said some of the things he told me over the past few months. WOTC has gone insane.

Hudo

Will never happen. The brutality, slavery, the Mul Race (human dwarf crossbreeds):

see:
"Because they are strong, tough, quick, and blessed with fantastic endurance, muls are high prized as slaves. In fact, most muls are born into slavery, products of the slave pits —owners recognize the muls' assets as gladiators and laborers, and so order the births of as many muls as can be managed within the ranks of their slaves. Muls are born sterile —they cannot perpetuate their kind.

Born as they are to lives of slave labor, with the taskmaster's whip taking the place of parents and family, muls are given to a gruff personality and violent reactions. Understandably, many never seek friends or companionship but live out their lives in servitude, driven by hatred and spite. Most, however, learn who to trust in the slave pits and who not to, gaining favor and reputation among the other slaves." -from dark sun campaign setting 2e.

No way wizards of the woke would allow this.
They would neuter the world and not have class restrictions, let alone race types. They think having races is racist.
Thri-kreen mantis warriors.
Wizards that drain the life of their surroundings, and preservers who have self control.
Slaves, and more slaves.
Gladiators
Psionics

Dark sun is an amazing setting, along with Ravenloft (which they did release for 5e, in a neutered state, as well as changing most of the characters to meet "modern audience standards" lol)...
I wouldn't trust Dark Sun with WOTC for anything. That was a pure TSR thing and if you have the box set still, keep it and use it for 5e if you play that.

The whole game is so much different now then the awesomeness that was 1ed, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd editions. I can't explain it but everything from tone, to artwork to the woke language, it just doesn't draw me in.
Wonder if there is any other rpg companies with some balls to make something gritty like dark sun?

Larian could do it, but I can't see WOTC letting them.
Yeah... I know.

It's nice to dream, though..

TransTrender

Gold Member
I hope they all fail miserably and go bankrupt.

In short: DEI. Most likely, the reason why they broke up with Larian.

Checked and this cuck is still working there, so clearly these 'CIS white executives need to GTFO except for me'
Also how do they plan on pulling this off?
Daedalic Entertainment closed down their developer branch, but I guess the Skull Island Rise of Kong alum IguanaBee are available.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Bingo, we have a winner!

MS also invested $billions into gaming. So did EA and Ubi. There were and will be a lot more failures on large scale with these three on AAA side.

And these companies have a plethora more experience compare to Hasbro/WOTC. And the latter for too greedy and chased off Larian. So good luck, but I just don’t see anything particularly great coming out of this.

StereoVsn

CEOs firing people: They're evil and greedy.

CEOs hiring people: *silence*
Yes, because this is totally what everyone here is saying. And not folks doubting Hasbro and WotC can find their arse without a flashlight and a DEI committee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom