• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•26-28•17 - Rock in bay can't stop Pirates or Guardians, Alien sinks tho

This is totally rabdom but hey its Box Office peeps in here. Just watched Split finally tonight and I thought it was pretty damn awesome. And am I crazy or is McAvoy like not getting near enough praise for his acting I that film? It was pretty insane how after just a bit into the film I could already tell which "personality" was in control just from his face and body expressions even without talking. Like damn.

This is totally rabdom but hey its Box Office peeps in here. Just watched Split finally tonight and I thought it was pretty damn awesome. And am I crazy or is McAvoy like not getting near enough praise for his acting I that film? It was pretty insane how after just a bit into the film I could already tell which "personality" was in control just from his face and body expressions even without talking. Like damn.

He's so awesome in there. Constantly flips the switch between creepy and complete cornball

One of the most entertaining performances I've seen in a while

3N16MA

Banned
I want to see that $100m ow for WW now.

It has set itself up in the best position possible. Reviews seems solid (early average rating/top critics indicates the RT score will stay high) and WoM has enough time to spread.

kswiston

Anyone other than Busty want to go in on WW becoming the top DCEU film domestically?

I think he was predicting something close to $400M, but $330M would do it.

It's time to test that high DCEU floor theory that MHWilliams brings up from time to time. Can't blame reviews this go around.

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone other than Busty want to go in on WW becoming the top DCEU film domestically?

It's time to test that high DCEU floor theory that MHWilliams brings up from time to time. Can't blame reviews this go around.

That would make it the 2nd highest grossing solo comic book film not featuring Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man.

CW counts but Cap needed help. Plenty of help.

$100 million opening, $300 domestic? I think it'll pay for the sins of previous films, but will in turn boost Justice League numbers.

That would make it the 2nd highest grossing solo comic book film not featuring Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man.

CW counts but Cap needed help. Plenty of help.

Isn't that the case as soon as it passes Man of Steel though

EDIT: If it passes Man of Steel of course.
I do think it's perhaps splitting hairs to not consider the Guardians films solo efforts. It's not like Suicide Squad where there are a couple of characters (i.e., Harley Quinn or The Joker) you could conceivably build a successful solo film around.

Still, passing Man of Steel would be a staggering achievement for Wonder Woman.

I know she is the goddess of truth, but you really think she can lift an entire universe?

It's not as if BvS and SS did THAT bad. Despite being some of the most widely panned films in recent history and basically turning DC films into a running joke they still pulled good numbers.

I think one of the main characters from the justice league having a well received and successful movie will help the justice league but I think it was destined for decent numbers anyway.

Also I think that batman and superman were already well known and popular figures but I'm not convinced that Wonder Woman really shares that same popularity. This catapults her into the limelight.

On top of all of this it might help bring more of the female audience over to justice league.

In the end though what will matter is how justice league is received. If it's another failure of a movie and is universally panned then it will again fall into a similar region with BvS and SS. If it actually manages decent reviews I think it will push closer to or over 1 billion.

Mario007

I think at the very least it could halt decline and bring some momentum back into the excitement people feel about the connected universe.
What decline are we talking about, critical or commercial or fanboy one?
It has already stopped critical decline, there really isn't any commercial decline to stop yet and who cares for fanboys.

Saw this in the OT and thought it was pretty surprising

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/pirates_of_the_caribbean

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) - Critics: 31% Audience: 75%
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) - Critics: 32% Audience: 54%
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End (2007) - Critics: 45% Audience: 72%
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Critics: 54% Audience: 72%
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Critics: 79% Audience: 86%

MarkusRJR

Seeing Alien bomb makes me so sad. I love the franchise and was excited to see what was going to happen in the future movies. I hope Fox let's them do a movie to tie off the loose ends of the plot before killing the franchise. :(

Busty

Banned
Seeing Alien bomb makes me so sad. I love the franchise and was excited to see what was going to happen in the future movies. I hope Fox let's them do a movie to tie off the loose ends of the plot before killing the franchise. :(

Given these numbers I highly doubt it and I don't think Sir Ridley did either. I suspect he always knew this was a turkey and tried his best to talk it up in the press with all the talk of further films etc.

Slayven

I think at the very least it could halt decline and bring some momentum back into the excitement people feel about the connected universe.
There is a chinese wonder woman now, Li Bingbing is due a cameo
It's not as if BvS and SS did THAT bad. Despite being some of the most widely panned films in recent history and basically turning DC films into a running joke they still pulled good numbers.

I think one of the main characters from the justice league having a well received and successful movie will help the justice league but I think it was destined for decent numbers anyway.

Also I think that batman and superman were already well known and popular figures but I'm not convinced that Wonder Woman really shares that same popularity. This catapults her into the limelight.

On top of all of this it might help bring more of the female audience over to justice league.

In the end though what will matter is how justice league is received. If it's another failure of a movie and is universally panned then it will again fall into a similar region with BvS and SS. If it actually manages decent reviews I think it will push closer to or over 1 billion.

I disagree, i think people know her just as much as the other to. Meaning the average person couldn't tell you that Batman has a biological son or that superman use to a tv reporter. But they know the generals like rich guy with fancy toys, strong guy that flies, and woman that blocks bullets with her bracelets

Slayven

The movie takes place 100 years before BvS, so I can't imagine that they are very deep.

Scene

Wonder Woman and Captain Kirk are sharing a moment beneath the stars, when one flairs brightly then winks out. Their companion Stan Lee shouts "Did you guys see that?"

Yeah, they understand budgeting and accounting really well.

It's how none of the most successful movies you've ever heard of have ever made any money to this day.

Is there any good articles you could link to about Hollywood moves and profits?

I've read odd stuff in Gaf before about huge movies supposedly making no money and people not getting paid (vaguely remember something about Star Wars actor/voice actor or someone not getting paid as the movie supposedly made no money)

kswiston

Is there any good articles you could link to about Hollywood moves and profits?

I've read odd stuff in Gaf before about huge movies supposedly making no money and people not getting paid (vaguely remember something about Star Wars actor/voice actor or someone not getting paid as the movie supposedly made no money)

You have to differentiate between things here. Studios can't outright lie to their stockholders or on their taxes. There's not even the same opportunity to shuffle production costs between films on tax forms, since all blockbuster productions are putting in for various state/country based tax breaks these days.

Marketing is a bit more nebulous, because almost all of the parent companies for the big studios own diverse multimedia portfolios, including the major television networks. If Marvel Studios pays $10M to ABC for GotG2 commercial spots, they are essentially paying themselves. There's an opportunity cost if other non-Disney companies were interested in those commercial spots, but not really a direct cost (other than shuffling cash around within Disney's larger corporate structure).

The "highest grossing films of all time made no money" line usually refers to claiming a net loss on a particular project to the talent on the film. People used to sign net profit sharing agreements. Studios would treat the production as its own little company, and make sure to pay any profits a film made to itself under the guise of various service fees. When it came time to collect your net profit percentage as an actor, you'd get a nice long accounting invoice showing that there was a net loss after WB or Disney paid themselves back for making the film.

Now most contracts stipulate a gross revenue participation. Hypothetically, if Johnny Depp is getting 2% of the gross from Pirates 5, and it makes $800M, he scoops $16M right off the top.

I should also note that there have been several successful lawsuits where creatives have sued studios for trying to cheat them out of participation.

Here's an old Deadline article about Hollywood Accounting: http://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-...f-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/

Outside of anecdotes like that one, we never really get a net profit breakdown between films, because studios only need to report that on a studio level to shareholders. However, there are enough current and former movie producers out there that places like Deadline have articles giving rough breakdowns based on what is typical in the industry.

I made a thread awhile back looking at Deadline estimates for 2016's bigger films: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1355253

You can click the deadline link for more info on each film. Just keep in mind that those figures are rough estimates, and don't account for merchandising or product licensing.

Something happened to Bobby Roberts early in his childhood to make him hate Kong.

Donkey-Kong-scares-kids.gif

suaveric

I'm not sold on 100m+ for WW just yet. At my local theaters they aren't maxing out their show times. Avengers and Dark Knight etc have shows starting every 10 minutes or so but right now WW only has 2-3 shows for 7pm. Of course there is still time to add more shows this week, but we're not there right now.

kswiston

I'm not sold on 100m+ for WW just yet. At my local theaters they aren't maxing out their show times. Avengers and Dark Knight etc have shows starting every 10 minutes or so but right now WW only has 2-3 shows for 7pm. Of course there is still time to add more shows this week, but we're not there right now.

Avengers and TDK had twice the audience of a $100M opener.

Schlorgan

The framing device does deal with a correspondence with Bruce, but not in the sense writing her entire life story

It's a very standalone movie
Good. I would love for my kids to have a good Wonder Woman movie without it being very attached to BvS.

Busty

Banned
I could see WW having some solid legs, there's shit all coming out until Spider-Man Homecoming.

Cars 3 and the new Transformers film is about it for June and even then both of them are well past their box office prime in NA as franchises.

kswiston

You mean, in general? If the premise or idea is separate enough that mainstream audiences don't see them as related at all. Wonder Woman is certainly not that case.

Audiences seem to be pretty fast to forgive. See Fast 5. Or Logan.

Despicable Me 3 is also coming out in June.

Transformers 5 and DM3 are too far away to matter much. Anything beyond the third weekend is just going to be a +/- 10% (at best) modifier to the final gross.

Top Bottom