• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

patsu

Ok, I found a screenshot of "Players' Voice".

Check out Vita's online manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/flow.html

near_flow_08.jpg

Legends and explanations are in the manual itself.

For those with wifi only vitas you can register your wifi access point with skyhook so that you get more accurate location data.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

Currently 'near' thinks I'm 11 miles away from where I am, so I registered my wireless router. Should know in a few days time if the accuracy improves.

I registered a couple days ago and haven't been able to connect near, not even once. :(
I try checking the skyhook coverage on that website, put in my address, and I really should be within their coverage (although admittedly, it's near the edge of their coverage)

Ken

Ok, I found a screenshot of "Players' Voice".

Check out Vita's online manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/flow.html

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/imgpsvita/near_flow_08.jpg[IMG]

Legends and explanations are in the manual itself.[/QUOTE]

[quote]Tap [near] to view information related to (near), such as how many times you passed nearby a person you’ve played a game with, or the game that he/she played most recently.[/quote]

Interesting. I guess I passed by them once, even though I've never played a game with them (their only game is DW: NEXT).

TheGrue

Anyone having an issue with Near where when you hit the Update button, it finds your location but then when it goes to transmit it, it errors out with "An error occurred"? Worked fine this morning and now all day I get the same thing. I've tried killing the app and rebooting and it still does it.

Oh, and my wifi signal works fine. Can browse the store, do online Hot Shots stuff, so it isn't anything to do with my network connection. I first noticed it when I was out on 3G somewhere, but when I got home to wifi, it still continued.

Called tech support and they weren't any help either. They had me do Restore Settings, but it didn't fix it. In fact, it seemed to only reset a couple of the Near settings (but not all of them, like the unit of distance) and it still had my old Near data. There doesn't seem to be a way to kind of reset Near back to factory defaults.

Stinks, because I think this feature is cool and now it is unusable for me. I'm hoping it's something like corrupted location data and that there is a buffer and once it gets full, it will kick out the old data and maybe fix itself. Probably wishful thinking.

That is something they should seriously consider. I never thought near could be used for something that must be sooo addicting. Bravo!

First they would need to have GTA games for Vita though.

I do think the idea is good, I also like the Uncharted black market, sounds like a good way to use the app. Actually, I can't think of many games that would not be able to use the app in some way to give their own games some long legs.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Registered my details with Skyhook and it now appears to be working. What an awesome app! Hadn't been able to try before, so I'm pretty impressed with the "Friend History" and "Out and About" stuff. Only found 8-9 people in the central Brisbane area for me, hope that goes up :p

Will the 3G version have better functionality of near even though the 3G hasn't been activated?

I'm trying to decide which version to get.

Razlo

Loving near so far. I've got friend requests & gifts! I'm shocked by how many people in my small town already have PS Vitas. I hope this is a good sign!

raven777

near is great. I love the overall interface, animation. The only problem is that it is a bit difficult to understand the components. I wish they had some detailed manual within the near app.

Yeah, using a US account in Japan with a Wifi model...keep getting the "Could not obtain data for your location" message. This has been the case since day one, and I just registered that Skyhook thing for my little wifi antennae...we'll see what happens.

how long between the time you enter your wifi info to skyhook website till the time it actually registered? I got email saying it could take weeks before they processes it. do we get any email once they finish adding my wifi access point?

how long between the time you enter your wifi info to skyhook website till the time it actually registered? I got email saying it could take weeks before they processes it. do we get any email once they finish adding my wifi access point?

Probably not the best time to do so over a weekend, but we'll see.

patsu

near is great. I love the overall interface, animation. The only problem is that it is a bit difficult to understand the components. I wish they had some detailed manual within the near app.

Yes, some refinement on the UI, good documentation, plus perhaps a few mini-games to help surface different aspects of Near.

There are 40 people within 5 miles of me but I havent gotten any Uncharted bounties yet. I keep checking Near hoping someone in my area will have something that I dont have. This is such a neat addition to the system.

patsu

There are 40 people within 5 miles of me but I havent gotten any Uncharted bounties yet. I keep checking Near hoping someone in my area will have something that I dont have. This is such a neat addition to the system.

Yeah, but to prevent the novelty from wearing off due to non-action, they should organize meet ups to seed the items monthly.

patsu

Usually, it's necessary to seed activities when the community is young, or when the dynamics is not self-reinforcing (yet). Once it gains critical mass, the activities should become self sustaining because of the inherent reward systems.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hooray, just got my first Uncharted Game Goods- some bounty cards from the Black Market. They actually expire three hours after they're discovered, so you have to download them quickly.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Do you need a 3G Vita to get the most out of this?

Well you can still do it from home and when you go to Wifi Hotspots but I'd say with the 3G/GPS model you're not going to be limited in any way and the data can be updated more frequently.

patsu

Asking again.. Where is "gift" data stored? Can it be deleted?

My guess is:

1. Server storage for unclaimed items.

2. When someone picks an item up, it may be stored in Near's save data temporarily

3. When a game accepts an item from Near, it should save the item in its own save files.

Out and About lets you see how many people are playing in a several mile radius, and what games they're playing. It's a great way to add more Vita friends to your friends list, what games are currently hot, discover new games you aren't playing and invite people to games and chat rooms. You can also see player ratings for games that are being played by everyone near you, and the current "buzz" for certain games that are played by the majority of users.

You should clarify that, because this will only add to the confusion. Games they are playing, or games they WERE playing when they connected to wi-fi in your proximity. This is major difference with how Streetpass on 3DS works.

Why does it only show up with 8 people on the radar, when the update ("Topping the charts for number of people playing!") says 14?

Is there a way to expand the radius? Mine seems to always be a 10 mile radius.

I'll be buying the 3g version. Considering i get wipeout2048 for free with it the 3g unit is just going to cost me 20 bucks more. That way near will be more fun to use.

Returners

Anyone having an issue with Near where when you hit the Update button, it finds your location but then when it goes to transmit it, it errors out with "An error occurred"? Worked fine this morning and now all day I get the same thing. I've tried killing the app and rebooting and it still does it.

Oh, and my wifi signal works fine. Can browse the store, do online Hot Shots stuff, so it isn't anything to do with my network connection. I first noticed it when I was out on 3G somewhere, but when I got home to wifi, it still continued.

Called tech support and they weren't any help either. They had me do Restore Settings, but it didn't fix it. In fact, it seemed to only reset a couple of the Near settings (but not all of them, like the unit of distance) and it still had my old Near data. There doesn't seem to be a way to kind of reset Near back to factory defaults.

Stinks, because I think this feature is cool and now it is unusable for me. I'm hoping it's something like corrupted location data and that there is a buffer and once it gets full, it will kick out the old data and maybe fix itself. Probably wishful thinking.

currently having that problem too. Something about the 3G ugh.

It does tell me to try again later in the because I'm in the same location. (even though i've already moved)

I didn't know Hot Shots Golf was so popular, it's #1 on my Out-and-About Chart. NEAR is telling me that 37 people are playing HSG: World Invitational. I would have never guessed.

It's funny that everyone who has a Vita right now obviously had to have bought the FEB, but it only shows that 7 have played Little Deviants.

reminder

Reading this thread made me think "fuck i better pre-ordered the 3G model", but Smartphone + tethering + Wi-Fi Vita should do the same i guess.

Toki767

Reading this thread made me think "fuck i better pre-ordered the 3G model", but Smartphone + tethering + Wi-Fi Vita should do the same i guess.

The only way I can see the 3G model being super useful is when AT&T rolls out their shared data plans.

Ultimate Marvel keeps topping the charts in my area. I keep noticing that my players found goes up by 5 each time I check near.

I have to say though, near still isn't properly explained in the actual app itself.

TheGrue

currently having that problem too. Something about the 3G ugh.

It does tell me to try again later in the because I'm in the same location. (even though i've already moved)

Do you get the problem when on a WiFi network as well, though? It happens to me no matter what.

Still happening this morning. I'd love to know if this is a software or a hardware issue. My GPS works fine in the Maps app, the 3G and WiFi work fine for data, so not sure what else it could be other than some corruption of data for Near on my Vita or some issue with my entries in their database where they send this info to.

Top Bottom