• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

So my Near finds people fine

6920844023_7c7a72c3bd.jpg

And then I get the 'you discovered a new game' notification

So I click look about and see the ! links to a player, which is presumably a game he was playing

6774755452_a2dc7f58c9.jpg

But for some reason all of the game icons are just that blank image, there's no name/data for them, even though that's the stuff I've discovered, clicking on them leads to this

6920870691_2882ab4eb5.jpg

See the random game title?
What's going on here?

The only 'game' I can actually see in peoples history around me is the Welcome Park, and my own stuff. I've discovered two gifts which displayed just fine. Is it just a sync error?

Anybody else having this problem? My Near has updated 3 times now but I still can't see any of the games people are playing

Cross posting with the western launch topic but things have definitely picked up and I found a new screen/feature here. It shows all the people nearby and if you've talked to them or how many times you've ran into them (I believe).

2012-02-20-221130s4yx9.jpg

Hmmm, I also have SCHMOOPY1 on my near list, less than 1 mile from me, yet I'm in South Tampa. That's either a weird coincidence or this thing is messed up.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Mine goes up by 5 each day too. The numbers are clearly complete bullshit :p There's no way there's 37 people playing (last night) within that radius from where I am in Brisbane - the machine isn't even out yet. Plus the convenient 'going up by 5' daily thing makes it just seem fudged.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think one of the counters is counting me every time I upload data. Cos when I drill down to just the game it says I'm the only one playing, even though the counter on the prior menu says 4 people are playing...

So I think the counters should be taken with a grain of salt, except maybe the ones at the lowest level, of a game page where you can attach an emoticon to it etc. Maybe that one is more accurate.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i got an uncharted gift from you a few days ago haha. pretty cool!
I've been getting a few Wipeout ghost challenges from people, pretty cool. Even if I'm busy I make sure to keep playing til i beat it, I presume it tells them :p

DBT85

From what I've used of Near so far I think it could be a great feature. But mine said 5 people when I first tried it, the second time it said 10, the third time it said 15.

On my radar there are 11 other people within 7km of me.

I did just get a track part for modnation and an exclusive avatar for Hustle Kings. Interesting that gifts expire if you don't use them. I wonder if that's going to encourage sales at all.

patsu

Mine goes up by 5 each day too. The numbers are clearly complete bullshit :p There's no way there's 37 people playing (last night) within that radius from where I am in Brisbane - the machine isn't even out yet. Plus the convenient 'going up by 5' daily thing makes it just seem fudged.

Mine doesn't go up consistently. The increment varies.

The number of people includes anonymous users. I suspect the system can't track anonymous players accurately. They may be counted multiple times when their Near app ping the servers throughout the day.

For your case, the real player count may be 5.

I think one of the counters is counting me every time I upload data. Cos when I drill down to just the game it says I'm the only one playing, even though the counter on the prior menu says 4 people are playing...

So I think the counters should be taken with a grain of salt, except maybe the ones at the lowest level, of a game page where you can attach an emoticon to it etc. Maybe that one is more accurate.

Those folks don't have to play at the same time as us. They may be counted within the last X minutes/hours/days.

The system should be able to track named users more accurately. It "knows" whether the named users are close to each other at the same time too (See "People Encountered" stat).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So friends can share gifts despite a lack of proximity?

Just got a game good from chubigans, and he isn't 'near' me, that's for sure :p

But that's cool - certainly handy for people who might not have a lot of vitas nearby.

test_account

XP-39C²
In NEAR, there is an icon of a person and it says "0 km" next to it. I assume this is how far you have traveled with the Vita. But eariler i connected to 3G, started NEAR and drove a bit around, yet it say 0 km. And in settings, it says that hardly any data has been uploaded/downloaded. Am i doing something wrong?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In NEAR, there is an icon of a person and it says "0 km" next to it. I assume this is how far you have traveled with the Vita. But eariler i connected to 3G, started NEAR and drove a bit around, yet it say 0 km. And in settings, it says that hardly any data has been uploaded/downloaded. Am i doing something wrong?

There's a lot of settings you need to enable (automatic updating, etc.). Make sure the compass and Near logo are highlighted to the left on the LiveArea screen.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's a lot of settings you need to enable (automatic updating, etc.). Make sure the compass and Near logo are highlighted to the left on the LiveArea screen.
I forgot to mention that, i set both share ID and automatic update. I did have problem getting a location at a gas station i stopped at though, so maybe that is why it didnt work? I didnt check for the Near logo.

EDIT: Now it worked! :) I turned on my Vita again and opened Near, and it said that i had traveled 1km. I see that the Near logo in the Live Area is kinda dark, does that mean that it is off or something? I see the Near logo in the top line of the screen as well (where the battery info etc. is located).

patsu

Near is a lot less useful when there are no Vitas around you. All I see is a two mile circle of nothing.

If you can't use "Out and About", you can still click on the "Friends" and "Discoveries" buttons. They work even if you're alone. You should be able to see the activity log of your friends list, as well as items given to you by your friends.

But yes, it's less interesting than exploring your neighborhood.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like the near application is pretty buggy. Should not trust the number of folks that's shown in your radius as that might be wrong.

Andrefpvs

And there's no data for those games too right? It's just weird how I'm discovering a game but it isn't listed what it is, just that PCSF00001 name or whatever

Exactly. Those are the game codes for the games that were supposed to be displayed.

Hope it's fixed soon, 'cause it happens for nearly all games!

DSFan1970

I am in Brooklyn NY. I see no one. I don't get it. Does it only search for online friends or anyone with a vita? Am I doing this wrong? Add me : torminator.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
On Wi-Fi model, have 0 people in Near, which is a lie. No way that's true. Don't know what's wrong.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Near worked good for me this morning, pinpointing my location, but now it swears that I'm in Dallas Texas, and I'm actually in Delaware.

Number45

I love this app.

Surprised how many hits i'm getting. I only live in a small village!
I had ten people within a couple of miles pop up, was quite impressed actually. The app is a lot deeper than I was expecting as well - it could do with a better tutorial!

I think the blanks people are seeing are where people have messed with the their privacy settings, but I'm not 100% sure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm. Took my (3G) Vita out with me this morning...but near doesn't seem to have picked up any new locations?

I set it to obtain new location data at regular intervals, I even left it running in the background. My Vita was just on standby. But it's as if I didn't go anywhere according to near...

Barrett2

On my Near map, it shows the face icon x 140.

Does that mean total unique players i've been "Near" since turning on my Vita last night?

Omikaru

I'd love to use this app, but all I ever get is "Could not obtain data for your location".

Annoying to say the least.

DBT85

Hmm. Took my (3G) Vita out with me this morning...but near doesn't seem to have picked up any new locations?

I set it to obtain new location data at regular intervals, I even left it running in the background. My Vita was just on standby. But it's as if I didn't go anywhere according to near...

Interesting. I've just taken it to Tesco with me to try it out :p There was nothing left running but it picked up the two locations I stopped at. I also have set it to update at regular intervals.

I'm on the train going to work tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what it picks up.

For reference it noted the two different places at 10:17 and then 10:40.

On my Near map, it shows the face icon x 140.

Does that mean total unique players i've been "Near" since turning on my Vita last night?

That's what I'm not sure about still. First time i had 5, then 10, then 15, then 20, then one with 7 and then one with 13.

I've never been able to see as many people on the radar as it is showing smiley faces. But I have no idea if that's correct or not.

EG, the one this morning is showing a popularity surge with Welcome Park (5 people playing) with x13 and a smiley face next to it. When I look on the radar there are only 10 people within the 3km radius that it is showing.

A little more customisation would be nice, I want to go out to 10km every time to see what's about!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Interesting. I've just taken it to Tesco with me to try it out :p There was nothing left running but it picked up the two locations I stopped at. I also have set it to update at regular intervals.

I'm on the train going to work tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what it picks up.

For reference it noted the two different places at 10:17 and then 10:40

Hmm. I wondered for a second if you had to manually grab location data as you went around, but your experience seems to confirm it should happen automatically.

Not sure what happened with mine this morning :\

DBT85

Hmm. I wondered for a second if you had to manually grab location data as you went around, but your experience seems to confirm it should happen automatically.

Not sure what happened with mine this morning :\

I did run near and update while I was in the Tesco car park at 10:40, but I did NOT do it at 10:17 at the Post Office, it just recorded that position on it's own.

Tomorrow I'll not run near until I get to work and see what it's found. That's about an hour after leaving the house so I wonder how many locations it'll find on its own.

So, is the number of people playing legit? I know the one that show up with avatar and psn id is legit because I can see their trophies etc. But I find it hard to believe there are 35 people in my neighbourhood owning a vita. And the number rise up everytime, even when I'm not moving. I stay home yesterday from noon till night, and the number of player increased.

U2NUMB

So, is the number of people playing legit? I know the one that show up with avatar and psn id is legit because I can see their trophies etc. But I find it hard to believe there are 35 people in my neighbourhood owning a vita. And the number rise up everytime, even when I'm not moving. I stay home yesterday from noon till night, and the number of player increased.

I believe.. and I am just guessing here that if someone drives by with their vita when they sync up it might shoot that data in that area.

Just a guess.

XTERC

Flew to Mexico City last night... you have travelled 1256 miles today. There are 12 people playing in a 1.2 mile radius of my location here (it was over 70 in Houston).

Number45

I believe.. and I am just guessing here that if someone drives by with their vita when they sync up it might shoot that data in that area.

Just a guess.

Yeah I'm sure that's what it does, it both pulls data to see who's there and publishes that you were at that location.

In a 2 mile radius I had 17 people nearby. Wasn't expecting that lol. Also got sabretooth cue for hustle kings. Too bad its on my other psn account

Salaadin

How do I get right into the Out and About Radar screen?
The only way I can access it is if I click "Out and About" which brings up an "Out and About History" and from there, I have to click on a previously discovered game good to bring up the radar.

Top Bottom