• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

4. Does Krusty’s Fun House still not work?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hopes whatever is wrong with KSFH will get fixed, but I fear we are alone in that hope ):

I'm always so surprised when anyone else remembers it exists but then I remind myself it *is* a Simpsons game, after all. Surely more than three people must have played it.

Been having fun ripping my Wii & Wii U Virtual Console ROMs in anticipation of getting the SNES Mini soon. So glad people were willing to write up tutorials on these things.

ParityBit

Has anyone used the reddit post about updating the original 21 games? At one point he said you would lose the art each time you updated, but that comment was removed. I am wondering what happens if I try doing it his way?

Pyrrhic Victory

Neo Member
It is done.

I finished making sprite thumbnails for my entire collection. The result, if I do say so myself, is nothing short of glorious.

pev16I2.png

tRYLJvp.png

bjRPQuP.png

There's three more folders of games, you can see them here if you're so inclined.

More importantly, you, too, can bask in the gloriousness that are sprite thumbnails. I've uploaded them all, plus several alternates for many of the games, to an imgur gallery here. I've also uploaded them to Google Drive so that they don't lose their names and so that you can download them all as a zip file (just select all of them, right click and select Download), here. Enjoy, people!

If you are using these, and there's any other game not in there that you'd like to have as a sprite, ask me (PM or quote this) and I may create them for you. :)

Edit: Here's also my custom folder images, in case anyone wants them:
https://imgur.com/a/UIguo

I'm in love with these! A few games I was thinking of are missing:
- Civilization
- Populous
- Fatal Fury 2
- Mortal Kombat 2
- SimEarth
- Super Bomberman 2
- Super Double Dragon
- Super Off Road
- Super Star Wars + Super ESB + Super ROTJ
- 2020 Super Baseball
- Madden NFL '94
- Killer Instinct
- Terranigma
- Rock N' Roll Racing

I would love these if you plan on doing more! And I'm wondering if you plan on doing them for other systems too...

SYNTAX182

So what exactly is needed to get Street Fighter Alpha 2 working?

Go to the compatibility sheet and download the patch on the link. Then make a copy of the SFA2 Rom on the same folder as the patch. I used Lunar IPS program to patch the PCM.ips. After patching, you need to make an .sfrom file by dragging "make_sfrom_pcm.bat" file on top of the SFA2 Rom you just patched if you used the PCM version of patch.

Now in hackchi, click add more games, and select the original SFA2 Rom, NOT the .sfrom file. After adding, deselect the Compress option and write down the ID.

Now go to your hackchi folder and find the folder called "games_snes" and locate the folder with the same ID you wrote down earlier. Now take the .sfrom file and put it into this folder, overwrite file if prompted. Now copy the name of the sfrom that was originally in this folder, then delete the file and rename the one you just copied over to the name you copied from the other.

Go back over to hakchi, turn on your SNES Mini. When the dot on the bottom left of hackchi is green, press the "Synchronize". After the sync finishes and the SNES Mini reboots, the game should now be working!

I followed these instructions from Dark Akuma on reddit, thanks to him/her I was able to get it to work, although there are some slow downs, not sure if that's the game or just the emulator struggling. Enjoy!

ParityBit

When you guys add games to Hakchi, do you put the word "The" at the beginning of games, or at the end or drop it?

• Lost Vikings
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Lost Vikings, the

SOLDIER

Go to the compatibility sheet and download the patch on the link. Then make a copy of the SFA2 Rom on the same folder as the patch. I used Lunar IPS program to patch the PCM.ips. After patching, you need to make an .sfrom file by dragging "make_sfrom_pcm.bat" file on top of the SFA2 Rom you just patched if you used the PCM version of patch.

Now in hackchi, click add more games, and select the original SFA2 Rom, NOT the .sfrom file. After adding, deselect the Compress option and write down the ID.

Now go to your hackchi folder and find the folder called "games_snes" and locate the folder with the same ID you wrote down earlier. Now take the .sfrom file and put it into this folder, overwrite file if prompted. Now copy the name of the sfrom that was originally in this folder, then delete the file and rename the one you just copied over to the name you copied from the other.

Go back over to hakchi, turn on your SNES Mini. When the dot on the bottom left of hackchi is green, press the "Synchronize". After the sync finishes and the SNES Mini reboots, the game should now be working!

I followed these instructions from Dark Akuma on reddit, thanks to him/her I was able to get it to work, although there are some slow downs, not sure if that's the game or just the emulator struggling. Enjoy!

Thanks.

Speaking of Dark Akuma, he made a patch for Secret of Mana and its blurry text issue. This is all he wrote about it:

"If you use a SoM ROM you find on the net, then no. High res text will not work. But if you apply this patch I made first, assuming you are using the normal "Secret of Mana (U) [!]" ROM with "Checksum (CRC32): 0xd0176b24", "Checksum (MD5): 0x10a894199a9adc50ff88815fd9853e19", "Checksum (SHA1): 0x8133041a363e3cc68cedef40b49b6d20d03c505d", then high res mode should work.

The patch essentially turns it into the same ROM as is on the SNESC, minus the PCM audio."

Are those Checksum commands something I have to input? If so, how do I do it?

The game had minor slow down in gameplay and froze for 3 seconds at the start of every fight on the real cart, so I expect the same.

If you rip the VC ROM of Alpha 2 from Wii U, can you pretty much just plug and play it without this dance?

ReyVGM

Thanks.

Speaking of Dark Akuma, he made a patch for Secret of Mana and its blurry text issue. This is all he wrote about it:

"If you use a SoM ROM you find on the net, then no. High res text will not work. But if you apply this patch I made first, assuming you are using the normal "Secret of Mana (U) [!]" ROM with "Checksum (CRC32): 0xd0176b24", "Checksum (MD5): 0x10a894199a9adc50ff88815fd9853e19", "Checksum (SHA1): 0x8133041a363e3cc68cedef40b49b6d20d03c505d", then high res mode should work.

The patch essentially turns it into the same ROM as is on the SNESC, minus the PCM audio."

No, you just have to make sure the ROM has those checksums to be certain that its the same dump.

SYNTAX182

Thanks.

Honestly, I am not sure, I'm kind of illiterate when it comes to that stuff, just good at following instructions. =)

The game had minor slow down in gameplay and froze for 3 seconds at the start of every fight on the real cart, so I expect the same.

If you rip the VC ROM of Alpha 2 from Wii U, can you pretty much just plug and play it without this dance?

Ah, good to know, thanks. Not sure about your question but I am gonna guess no, because you need to bypass the SDD1 as Canoe doesn't support it. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can better explain it.

whitehawk

Banned
Since there is no NES hacking thread thats active, I have a question of NES Classic hacking. They are the same hardware afterall.

1. What's the best source for the newest NES hacks? Will the link in the OP work fine, even though I have a NES?
2. If I want SNES etc game, what's the best way?
3. Will a Wii Classic controller work fine for SNES games?
4. I've heard I can just flash an entire SNES Classic dump on to a NES classic since it's the same hardware. Recommended, or no?

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated!

XGoldenboyX

- Civilization
- Populous
- Fatal Fury 2
- Mortal Kombat 2
- SimEarth
- Super Bomberman 2
- Super Double Dragon
- Super Off Road
- 2020 Super Baseball
- Madden NFL '94
- Killer Instinct
- Terranigma
- Rock N' Roll Racing

I would love these if you plan on doing more! And I'm wondering if you plan on doing them for other systems too...

Why do the thumbnails look so Blurry when in the SNES Mini ? So wierd, they are hight quality enough , but come out blury compared to the originals ?

Any Idea why ?

ReyVGM

Why do the thumbnails look so Blurry when in the SNES Mini ? So wierd, they are hight quality enough , but come out blury compared to the originals ?

Any Idea why ?

You are probably making the SNESC resize the images instead of uploading them already resized to the correct resolution?

bronk

Banned
I could have swore someone posted a Super Boss Gaiden US style cover but I cant find it. Does anyone have it?

bubumiao

Has anyone gotten Neo Geo to work on this? I'm trying to play Magician Lord and it will not boot. I have the neogeo.zip (bios) in the same folder as the game and I put "bin/fba /usr" where it belongs in the command line (and the module is definitely installed since cps1 games are working fine). I'm not sure what the problem is.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thanks.

Gotta try this. There's a link to an IPS patch for "custom" ROMs. Does that mean that it works with the Variable Width Font patch applied to the ROM with the proper MD5? Or is it just for clean ROMs?

Also, what's the difference in sound between the VC and the proper SNES versions? I never noticed anything weird about it, but then again I pay little attention to sound in games, to be honest.

Robin64

Tried my hand at converting a Super GameBoy border. Not easy, ratios are totally different and all sorts of other little niggles crop up. Ended up making the background checker pattern from scratch and then pasting the sprites back on in their right place for this Kirby's Dream Land 2 one.

MR116nM.png

Jtp69R0.png

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but are the Mega Drive games running through the shell or does it launch retroarch or something when you select them?
It's seemless. Feels the same as starting any SNES game with Canoe.
During the game you can bring up the emu overlay with Start+Select to change settings.

- Civilization
- Populous
- Fatal Fury 2
- Mortal Kombat 2
- SimEarth
- Super Bomberman 2
- Super Double Dragon
- Super Off Road
- 2020 Super Baseball
- Madden NFL '94
- Killer Instinct
- Terranigma
- Rock N' Roll Racing

I'll be super happy to do these, as soon as I can resolve some logistics problems I have right now (long story short, my computer where I have all the SNES stuff including Hakchi was sent for repairs; I'm writing this on my SO's computer). Give me a couple days and I'll get to it.

Any Idea why ?

You mean how they look in my own example pictures in my post, or in your actual SNES Mini? My one pic for reference (click to full-size):
If your own Mini doesn't look like that, is it connected to a 1080p display? I'm guessing any other resolution (except 4k, I guess) would resize the thumbnails and make them blurry.

SOLDIER

Gotta try this. There's a link to an IPS patch for "custom" ROMs. Does that mean that it works with the Variable Width Font patch applied to the ROM with the proper MD5? Or is it just for clean ROMs?

Also, what's the difference in sound between the VC and the proper SNES versions? I never noticed anything weird about it, but then again I pay little attention to sound in games, to be honest.

Let me know how it turns out for you. I’m just about ready to give up, because I just can’t get it to work.

Bankai

Hey guys, I got my Snes mini working with awesome missing SNES games, great Genesis, NeoGeo, TurboGFX, NES, Gameboy, CPS2 and CPS1 games. Awesome stuff!

One thing I can't get to work, is per core config files in retroarch, especially useful for the controls.. For example, I like my button layout for my Genesis games way different than my Snes.

Can anyone help me with this?

ps. I already disabled "save on exit", since this was recommended here: LINK

whitehawk

Banned
Sorry for so many questions.

What's the difference between running a SNES game on NES classic through the menu, as opposed to launching retroarch and going from there?

I ask because I have a mini projector that is 4:3, so retroarch is great because I can force 16:9 to get games to run at the proper ratio.

But the 16:9 setting doesn't stay active if I launch a game from the main classic menu.

pitt_norton

Saw on the google doc that Winter Gold, a PAL Super FX chip sports game release from Nintendo had no issues running on the mini... so I just cleaned up the Euro boxart into a palatable US version. Not at all and so far away from being the greatest game in existence but hey, it's just options and opportunities!

e6JH4ZU.png

snes mini version:

Yz0JQoO.png

What is the status on Seiken Densetsu 3 working on the SNES classic at the moment? Do you need to use Retroarch? I heard there is some issues with fonts or something awhile back

It's perfectly playable on stock canoe, the only issue is that the menu text uses an unsupported hi-res mode so it appears a bit blurry but still legible. Rest of the game is fine AFAIK, though I've not played more than about an hour myself.

Robin64

While it may take me all weekend to finish, I want to show a sneak peek of what I'm working on.

By supplying a program with this image...

...it made these. And will be making the other three images needed to fill a /backgrounds/ folder. All automatically. No image editing software needed.

Top Bottom