• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is the original kernel dump like a backup of everything on the system? Can I use it if I want to restore everything to stock and revert any changes made by hakchi?

The original kernel dump will take it back to how it was before you did anything. You can then use the system's own factory reset to make it as if it had never been used.

Is the original kernel dump like a backup of everything on the system? Can I use it if I want to restore everything to stock and revert any changes made by hakchi?

Most of the data on the system is in a read only section of the drive. The kernel is kind of like the first and most important part of the OS. We have to modify it to be able to access all the features on the system.

The kernel is necessary to lock everything back down and to restore the system is you brick it, but it doesn't contain any roms or the bulk of the operating system.

DonMigs85

Most of the data on the system is in a read only section of the drive. The kernel is kind of like the first and most important part of the OS. We have to modify it to be able to access all the features on the system.

The kernel is necessary to lock everything back down and to restore the system is you brick it, but it doesn't contain any roms or the bulk of the operating system.
Is it an actual Linux kernel though? Do we even know what version the NES and snes mini are running?

Is there a similar command-line argument to -boost-fx for canoe that overclocks the main cpu in order to reduce slowdowns? Something like -boost-cpu?

SOLDIER

I got a friend who wants help modding his SNES, and he wanted me to check on the compatibility on certain games.

1. Does Goof Troop still need to be manually patched, or does the latest version of Hackchi already have the fix?

2. How about Street Fighter Alpha 2? I wasn’t entirely following the status of that, so I’m wondering where it currently is at.

3. Do the DBZ Butdodan games work fine? Which one has a fan translation and is generally considered the best?

4. Does Krusty’s Fun House still not work?

5. Aside from Aladdin and Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, what are considered the best Disney games?

Finally taking a good look at this thread as I'm getting closer to the point of hacking my SNES. I'm looking at the spreadsheet and it's kind of confusing. So if I'm reading it correctly Chrono Trigger has issues, is that correct?

SOLDIER

Finally taking a good look at this thread as I'm getting closer to the point of hacking my SNES. I'm looking at the spreadsheet and it's kind of confusing. So if I'm reading it correctly Chrono Trigger has issues, is that correct?

I don’t think the list is up to date, which is why I was inquiring about current games in my post.

Demon’s Crest 100% works, for example.

I'm quite a bit into CT (Just got to 2300AD) without issue. Robin initially said there was a crash with one of the sealed chests, but I couldn't replicate it and I don't think they've had a problem since.

SFA2 works from what I hear because Canoe has support for SDD-1... sort of. It doesn't emulate the chip properly, but it does have the ability to load roms with the decompressed graphics tacked on to the end, just like the games that have their music as PCMs. It doesn't support the extended rom versions that are floating around that already have the graphics decompressed (the 96mbit monsters that they are)

soundtest

Banned
Sfa2 works now but you need to run the rom through a couple programs to get it working.

Goof troop is fine now.

DBZ botododototen or whatever they're called, the second one (my personal favorite) works but with some bad gfx glitching. The rest of them seem fine.

The great circus mystery (magic quest 2) is actually really fun.

tgraham

Neo Member
What is the status on Seiken Densetsu 3 working on the SNES classic at the moment? Do you need to use Retroarch? I heard there is some issues with fonts or something awhile back

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If so then what I've done is a war crime.

vRBRGSA.jpg

5709c1e6345d8004eb928e38cc67d6277002f984_hq.jpg

pitt_norton

I thought I would be having a night off from creating custom boxarts but I just had to fix the USA cover for the hidden gem called "Out to Lunch" replacing with the PAL boxart... Use if desired!

Original:

13dngHu.jpg

My take:

hTALX9j.png

Snes Mini version:

jj9LHuY.png

I don’t think the list is up to date, which is why I was inquiring about current games in my post.

Demon’s Crest 100% works, for example.

I'm quite a bit into CT (Just got to 2300AD) without issue. Robin initially said there was a crash with one of the sealed chests, but I couldn't replicate it and I don't think they've had a problem since.

SFA2 works from what I hear because Canoe has support for SDD-1... sort of. It doesn't emulate the chip properly, but it does have the ability to load roms with the decompressed graphics tacked on to the end, just like the games that have their music as PCMs. It doesn't support the extended rom versions that are floating around that already have the graphics decompressed (the 96mbit monsters that they are)

Thanks.

I will try it at some point in the coming weeks.

Another game I want to try is Aladdin. That spreadsheet also shows it has issues.

Goof Troop works fine in the latest hakchi.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 never will, it's too complex.

The patch works, mang.

Also I was banned through most of this thread but the most frustrating thing was seeing people wrestle with Super SF2 when the solution was posted early in the thread and ignored.

I didn't realize that Canoe supported NES games natively in the SNESCE, I figured those were being run on retroarch or through the NESCE dual boot.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The patch works, mang.

Also I was banned through most of this thread but the most frustrating thing was seeing people wrestle with Super SF2 when the solution was posted early in the thread and ignored.
Would you mind to link to that solution for SSF2? :)

So is there an elegant way to dual boot NES and SNES yet? I know there was news that you could install both at some point but it seems that news has fallen off.

bubumiao

You have to use Retroarc or dual boot the NESCE to play NES games.

So is there an elegant way to dual boot NES and SNES yet? I know there was news that you could install both at some point but it seems that news has fallen off.
Nevermind.

I found a guide, but it still seems a little complicated. I won't link to it because it is on Reddit and it has links to some files that's aren't allowed here.

Is there really no US version of Battle City? Did this game never come out in the US? I loved playing it as a kid. That's my favorite game on NES next to Mario...

ReyVGM

any point and click adventures/horror like clock tower for the snes i might have missed?

i enjoy those type of games

Well, not exactly point and click, but SOS (not to be confused with S.O.S. Sink or Swim) is pretty much like Clock Tower (minus the pointer). It's really cool if you are patient and use a map.

Another one is Shadowrun. You can freely move the character, but you interact with the environment through a cursor. So it's pretty much a point and click game.

Top Bottom