• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

DrArchon

Scratch my plans for U/B Favorable Winds. I forgot Whirler Virtuoso was a card so now I'm thinking U/R Winds. Gives me an excuse to run all of those fun red cards that everyone keeps talking about as well.

Maybe less jank? We'll see...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean if you're actually running Marionette Master you might as well actually just run Tezzeret. He has a ton of loyalty and if your deck is actually built around treasure, his minus is "unconditionally kill a dude" and his plus ramps you to Master almost immediately.

Justin

I mean if you're actually running Marionette Master you might as well actually just run Tezzeret. He has a ton of loyalty and if your deck is actually built around treasure, his minus is "unconditionally kill a dude" and his plus ramps you to Master almost immediately.

Yeah I was thinking of that. I liked Vraska's kill ability but Tezzeret fits better and makes it so I don't have to spend $25 on a sub par planes walker.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I was thinking of that. I liked Vraska's kill ability but Tezzeret fits better and makes it so I don't have to spend $25 on a sub par planes walker.

I have won a lot of matches on his ultimate, also. But I built that deck more around playing cheap artifacts like Cogworker's Puzzleknot/Servo Schematic and dumping a Herald of Anguish out as early as possible.

I did try a MM deck, I just felt like it was too hard to really do because MM just costs to much to cast and nothing makes treasure very cheaply.

I even tried out Treasure Map, it just didn't seem great. You probably need to play it as a control deck, I just never figured it out in a way I liked.

Angry Grimace

I keep running into this guy playing God-Pharoah's Gift except its a horrible deck for one obvious reason: your opponents can just play Scarab God and steal all of your guys in response to the trigger.

Korgill

I have won a lot of matches on his ultimate, also. But I built that deck more around playing cheap artifacts like Cogworker's Puzzleknot/Servo Schematic and dumping a Herald of Anguish out as early as possible.

I did try a MM deck, I just felt like it was too hard to really do because MM just costs to much to cast and nothing makes treasure very cheaply.

I even tried out Treasure Map, it just didn't seem great. You probably need to play it as a control deck, I just never figured it out in a way I liked.

In Duels I ran a Tezzeret's Touch deck that destroyed most of my opponents, but that's not really Standard. Touching the Harvester was almost a win on the spot and the tokens from Tezzeret allowed me to keep recurring the Harvester if it was destroyed. Herald played great, but I had a hard time using MM. If it ever came out I was about to win anyways.

Angry Grimace

esper gifts right? He or she plays their own scarab god.

Having your deck be insanely weak to the best card in the format isn't good even assuming you can run one because your own strategy kills you. If Gift was super fast or something I guess, but most players I've played don't ever get it online until way too late for it to do all that much.

Angry Grimace

And yes, mono red is still good but I generally just quit a game if someone starts out by just playing a bunch of Desert Red. I already know that deck is good and could play it at the store, I don't have any particular desire to play it on purpose.

Lucario

Heading to my first pre-release on Saturday and I don't have any sleeves. Any recommendations on Amazon?

Edit: Maybe I should just buy some sleeves while I'm at the LGS. I assume they should have some.

The LGS will have sleeves available, and there's no point in ordering a single pack of sleeves online, but the future I can't recommend Hareruya sleeves more.

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/g/gSLEEVE000238/

They ship worldwide, and are easily the best you can get in the ~$2.50/pack price range now that KMCs are bad.

Dragon Shield Mattes are great too:

http://www.potomacdist.com/dragon-shield-matte-std-deck-protector-sleeves/

They're a bit more durable than Hareruya and come in more than one color, but they're almost double the price, and attract dirt pretty easily.

I don't get it.

I mean, it's pretty straight forward. You play it alongside some Greenhulks and just smash face. A lot of decks have no effective way to remove it, and once you're crashing in with that much trample-beef it's a pretty hard clock to ignore.

I imagine a lot of more aggressive decks are going to fly right over it to squeak out quick wins, but it's a non-trivial threat.

kirblar

I picked up a set of Admiral Beckett Brass pretty much just because its a Mythic (and they're more rare in this set than normal.)

Angry Grimace

I mean, it's pretty straight forward. You play it alongside some Greenhulks and just smash face. A lot of decks have no effective way to remove it, and once you're crashing in with that much trample-beef it's a pretty hard clock to ignore.

I imagine a lot of more aggressive decks are going to fly right over it to squeak out quick wins, but it's a non-trivial threat.

I mean, it's good but not $20 good, it's not better than Verdurous Gearhulk or even just a Glorybringer. Like it's a much safer threat but just a generic 7/6 trampler isn't so big its dominating the board or anything.

I'm playing Doomfall anyway in URbw control so Carnage Tyrant isn't even that big of an issue imo. 2 Torrential Gearhulks just stonewall it too.

I'd like to say my win record on the beta looks good but I'm getting beat up quite handily by what feels like any deck playing blue. Everything just outgreeds me with what are completely unplayable decks in reality. UB Scarab God for instance is terrible against anything not URx Scarab God.
I put 2 Jace's defeat into my sideboard now because it's something I can side out essence scatter for that still counters gearhulks and scarab gods.

I mean, it's good but not $20 good, it's not better than Verdurous Gearhulk or even just a Glorybringer. Like it's a much safer threat but just a generic 7/6 trampler isn't so big its dominating the board or anything.

Oh yeah, it's definitely overpriced, but I guess part of that is general sky-is-falling panic over the smaller rate of Mythics in Ixalan packs. That, and general furor over one of the largest Standard rotations ever.

kirblar

Are we also still thinking prices will be higher across the board because of no masterpieces?
Definitely. Also because this set has more rares than a normal one, and unlike Innistrad, they're not in a bonus slot (which reduces overall prices.)

Angry Grimace

The problem is that there's support for Ramp, e.g. with Cradle, but there's no actual reason to ramp into anything because nothing you can ramp into is all that good. The cards that cost 7 are no better than just casting a 5 or 6 mana card.

Lucario

Are we also still thinking prices will be higher across the board because of no masterpieces?

First set without masterpieces since the changes to MTGO redemption, extremely low demand for all but ~4-6 of the rares and mythics, and what looks like fairly low demand for boxes based on ebay prices.

If there's somehow a 4-of mythic in a top 8 pro tour deck, things could get silly.

edit: Previous redemption changes (2013 price increase) also led to some of the most expensive Standards ever, until we started getting masterpieces with BFZ. I kind of doubt we'll get back to that range, but it's something.

red13th

Iconic Masters preorders at Coolstuffinc have Mana Drain at $130. whoa!

Also that Horizon Canopy is so pretty (and preordering for $50)

HorizonCanopyIM.jpg

Obviously you ramp into Vishnath. I don't know why you ramp into it or what you expect to happen when you get there, but it's basically the only option you've got, so...

kirblar

First set without masterpieces since the changes to MTGO redemption, extremely low demand for all but ~4-6 of the rares and mythics, and what looks like fairly low demand for boxes based on ebay prices.

If there's somehow a 4-of mythic in a top 8 pro tour deck, things could get silly.

edit: Previous redemption changes (2013 price increase) also led to some of the most expensive Standards ever, until we started getting masterpieces with BFZ. I kind of doubt we'll get back to that range, but it's something.
Yeah, the redemption changes are also a very big deal that went under the radar. The flood of cheap rares/mythics from MTGO->IRL has gone away.

Lucario

my preorders:

4 Captain Lannery Storm ($6/set)
Ramps you to 6 mana on turn 4 while pressuring your opponent's life total. If there's gonna be a Big Red deck in the format, this is going to enable it. Absolute worst-case scenario is a 3/2 haste for 2R. Blatantly constructed playable card.

4 Wakening Sun's Avatar ($7.50/set somehow)
Obvious inclusion in dino ramp decks, which will be everywhere even if they aren't competitive. Should not be as cheap as it is considering that mythics are rarer than before.

12 Jace's Sentinel ($1/set)
I know this looks dumb, but remember when Tezzeret's Simulacrum hit like five dollars because of some weird brew that never went anywhere? This is a better card overall, and actually contributes to what 3 mana Jace is trying to accomplish. Someone's gonna try it.

keeping an eye on:

Treasure Map ($7.50/set)
Strong, and will be played in EDH literally forever. Unfortunately, it's slow, Abrade exists, and the upcoming Standard format looks like it'll skew aggressive. It's also not the kind of card that'll get expensive in the short-term; even if it sees competitive play, it's not a 4-of in the decks that'd play it, and casual prices won't spike until it rotates out. Looking to buy in at $1.

Admiral Beckett Brass ($10/set)
The second ability on this card feels like a punchline. Like, if you're actually getting in with three pumped pirates, the hell are you going to steal that will impact the game at all?
Like, I know that doesn't matter, because it's a 3-color pirate lord commander and will be in demand forever. I just hate this card. It's already probably at its floor and Kirblar was right to buy in at the current price, but I'll try to pick up some cheap trade copies instead.

Rowdy Crew ($12/set)
Mythic cantripping creature with low chance of being a 4 mana 5/5. No casual player will ever want this card, and I have no buy-in price for this. I just know that if a deck wants a cantrip like this, it wants four copies. Keeping in my cart during the first GP.

Search for Azcanta ($16/set)
Half of a Sultai ascendancy for 2 mana: good
Threshold, ramp + impulse on a stick: what
Same issue as Treasure Map. Blatantly powerful card, but it's legendary, and probably not a 4-of. Will keep a few in my cart because I want to play with it.

Honorable mention to every other flip card that isn't named Dowsing Dagger. All of the artifacts will be powerful EDH staples forever except Dowsing Dagger, the colored spells have the potential for Standard play, and they should all be purchased when they're in the $1 range. Except Dowsing Dagger.

Justin

I am trying to wait till after the weekend since I will probably be opening 25 or so packs but I probably should pick up a few of those in case they go up.

these beta decks are unreal. How do they expect to win against anyhting not UR control when their only piece of removal they have is vraska's contempt? You'd think their sidebaord would be good agains aggro but no it's just a bunch of hand disruption and gontis.

It's like turbo emrakul all over again spinning their wheels for 4 turns then drop a scarab god and pray.

Violet_0

Banned
You get treasure after declaring attacks, before damage. Barring something silly like a Stony Silence effect, you will always have the ability to attack for 3 the turn she enters play.
weird, I have absolutely no idea who or what you are quoting
does the flavor text of Jace's Sentinel imply that the Sun Empire are not the "good" guys?

jph139

does the flavor text of Jace's Sentinel imply that the Sun Empire are not the "good" guys?

If the Vampires are a stand-in for the conquistadors and the Sun Empire is a stand-in for the Aztecs, I assume the Merfolk are a stand-in for the disgruntled tribes that the Aztecs brutalized and enslaved.

Lucario

part of me is really excited about the idea of doing this:

turn 3 Captain Lannery storm, swing
turn 4 swing, carnage tyrant

the other part of me is annoyed that I don't actually have a way to go over the top of Hazoret without moving into another color.

I keep running into this guy playing God-Pharoah's Gift except its a horrible deck for one obvious reason: your opponents can just play Scarab God and steal all of your guys in response to the trigger.

they can steal one, not all

it's not like targeted abilities where you can steal the one that they're picking

weird, I have absolutely no idea who or what you are quoting
The Sun Empire and the merfolk are both natives, but two different competing nations. Merfolk used to control most of the island, but the Sun Empire has been conquering a lot of their land under the current emperor.

Angry Grimace

they can steal one, not all

it's not like targeted abilities where you can steal the one that they're picking

I mean, I guess, but if you have Scarab God out and they don't have a specific way to kill it, their strategy isn't working that well since you get to pick before they do.

Top Bottom