• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Violet_0

Banned
Part of me was miffed that they weren't Atogs (especially when one of them was an effective reprint of Atog) but visually they grew on me. Problem is a can't see them really showing up outside of artifact heavy sets.

I wouldn't be against a legendary Gremlin lord for EDH though.

the problem with the gremlins is that they all look the same. And they remind me too much of Sandshrew. The aetherborn were a much better new tribe

Justin

I agree that the Aetherborn have cool designs but Gremlins are more fun and they could design them to look differently.

I also really dont like visual design of the Ixalan Goblins.

OnPoint

Not every tribe has to have crazy amounts of support. Sometimes it should be fine that things get minimal support.

I mean look at poor Crested Sunmare. A lord of nothing.

DrArchon

I also really dont like visual design of the Ixalan Goblins.

The problem with Goblins in Ixalan is they really are just monkeys, so much so that they could've just made then monkeys and no one would've complained. Its not like any of them are good enough to fit into existing Goblin decks, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to make them Goblins honestly.

Justin

I mean look at poor Crested Sunmare. A lord of nothing.

But what if everything was a horse...

en_uRA1svXM1W.png

The problem with Goblins in Ixalan is they really are just monkeys, so much so that they could've just made then monkeys and no one would've complained. Its not like any of them are good enough to fit into existing Goblin decks, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to make them Goblins honestly.
Hell just make them Goblin Monkeys.

Ashodin

Quick story write up

The Talented Captain Vraska

• Vraska meets Bolas on his mediation plane. He asks her to go to Ixalan. She accepts and gets matrix'd information she needs to go. She knows Sail Fu now. She also learns a spell to call Tezzeret.
  • Vraska also gets a deal where she will become the Golgari guild master, so there's your Ravnica story in the future. Whatever Bolas wants (the immortal sun) is a huge deal.
  • Vraska heads to Ixalan, enjoys freedom, gets a crew. They marvel at her sail fu.
  • Vraska wonders if she's in the matrix when she stumbles upon The One err I mean the Guildpact err I mean swole buff daddy beard Jace. She saves him and he's all cute like a 🐶.
  • They bond a bit, he proves useful as he helps her take a Legion of Dusk ship. She keeps him alive because he's totally cute.

Also of note is Vraska has a bit of physical touch aversion because of trauma. It's neat to see character traits like that.

Also it's clear that Jace as his last act as pouty Jace stole the information about Ixalan from Bolas' head before he got erased... from existence

2015-10-21-1445410698-8403632-futurecontinued.jpg

Also it's clear that Jace as his last act as pouty Jace stole the information about Ixalan from Bolas' head before he got erased... from existence

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2015-10-21-1445410698-8403632-futurecontinued.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
Huh? What do you mean by that? I didn't see anything like that in the story.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
CONTINENT OF IXALAN ON A FARAWAY PLANE

Clear distinction made between plane name and continent.

Dominaria theory lives.

Maro confirmed that Ixalan is the name of the plane and the continent:

a-deg asked: The podcast still has me confused. Alison Luhrs' exact words (that can be read in the transcript) were "Ixalan is one continent on a larger world. This story focuses on the actual continent itself of Ixalan." She later mentions the continent Torrezon where the Vampires originate from. So the plane is called Ixalan, but the continent where the set's story takes place is also called Ixalan?

Both the continent *and* the plane are named Ixalan.

I double-checked with Allison.

DrArchon

Tbh I really like the Ixalan goblins from a visual design standpoint. Much more so than the typical Goblin look.

I think they look great as well, I just don't see why they're called goblins instead of monkeys. Monkey tribal would be so much cooler than just more goblins.

Though I have to give them props for varying up goblin looks over the years, especially compared to other evergreen tribes like Elves and Merfolk.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm assuming that whatever is in Orazca is part of whatever Bolas wants to use to fix the Planar Bridge that Gideon and Chandra blew up.

Also lol @ the story bringing up Jace's newfound sexy muscles like three times.

The rationale here makes sense. Basically, if someone's buying SP/MP, they don't really care about condition and are more price-sensitive.

It also lets them buy cards for a bit cheaper on the whole as the buy price will be whatever the lower of those two tiers previously was, and probably save their buyers some aggravation in terms of splitting hairs on card condition.

$30 for three cards?! I know the market value these things can have, but from a manufacturing point of view this is a straight up cashgrab.

This is just funny to me when the SDCC planeswalkers are like $200.

Mirrari is something we've legitimately theorized. Urza's head is conceivably actually in still in Karn.

Urza's head is in the hot tub.

Don't we know exactly what happened to that? Didn't it become Memnarch?

It was used to power Memnarch, then removed and given to Glissa and Slobad, then was lost with Slobad before Scars. Additionally, the end of onslaught block revealed that there are many potential mirraris on many planes, as they were probes Karn was using.

Also, I'm glad to see that this story confirms my thoughts about how Vraska's Bolas connection would figure in: she's never met or heard of him before this storyline, and she's explicitly working for him on contract, not as a thrall like Sarkhan and Tezzeret. Makes it much more likely she joins the Gatewatch or positions herself as an ally for them in the future.

Don't we know exactly what happened to that? Didn't it become Memnarch?

It did, but then Karn disassembled Memnarch at the end of Fifth Dawn and gave the Mirari to Glissa and Slobad, who went into suspended animation with it. Then at some point between then and when Glissa was captured and compleated it disappeared.

I think it's much more likely that the Mirari proper will play into the Phyrexian storyline, but it was one of many planar probes created by Karn so there's always the possibility of other similar devices on other planes.

Also, I'm glad to see that this story confirms my thoughts about how Vraska's Bolas connection would figure in: she's never met or heard of him before this storyline, and she's explicitly working for him on contract, not as a thrall like Sarkhan and Tezzeret. Makes it much more likely she joins the Gatewatch or positions herself as an ally for them in the future.

It did, but then Karn disassembled Memnarch at the end of Fifth Dawn and gave the Mirari to Glissa and Slobad, who went into suspended animation with it. Then at some point between then and when Glissa was captured and compleated it disappeared.

I think it's much more likely that the Mirari proper will play into the Phyrexian storyline, but it was one of many planar probes created by Karn so there's always the possibility of other similar devices on other planes.

Thanks for the answers. I can see Vraska actually not joining the Gatewatch but using her position with Jace to influence the Guildpact.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
If I go to one of those Friday night Magic events, is it just going to be a bunch of 10 year olds who kick my ass?

Every store is different, but most FNMs I go to consist of 20-30yo dudes who kick my ass. They're generally friendly events, though, and should be welcoming to newcomers.

Repgnar

If I go to one of those Friday night Magic events, is it just going to be a bunch of 10 year olds who kick my ass?

Every place is different but the events can run late and they're gonna need a ride so usually not. Between the two stores I play at there is only one kid that plays consistently however prerelease tend to bring a few more out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Quick story write up

The Talented Captain Vraska

• Vraska meets Bolas on his mediation plane. He asks her to go to Ixalan. She accepts and gets matrix'd information she needs to go. She knows Sail Fu now. She also learns a spell to call Tezzeret.
  • Vraska also gets a deal where she will become the Golgari guild master, so there's your Ravnica story in the future. Whatever Bolas wants (the immortal sun) is a huge deal.
  • Vraska heads to Ixalan, enjoys freedom, gets a crew. They marvel at her sail fu.
  • Vraska wonders if she's in the matrix when she stumbles upon The One err I mean the Guildpact err I mean swole buff daddy beard Jace. She saves him and he's all cute like a 🐶.
  • They bond a bit, he proves useful as he helps her take a Legion of Dusk ship. She keeps him alive because he's totally cute.

Also of note is Vraska has a bit of physical touch aversion because of trauma. It's neat to see character traits like that.

2015-10-21-1445410698-8403632-futurecontinued.jpg

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere

Tezeeret's terms of service are to be determined. Test of Metal isn't canon but then again Tezzeret doesn't appear to still be a puppet of Bolas.
It was used to power Memnarch, then removed and given to Glissa and Slobad, then was lost with Slobad before Scars. Additionally, the end of onslaught block revealed that there are many potential mirraris on many planes, as they were probes Karn was using.
You know I'll always hold a bit of a grudge that Wizards was terrible at picking up the story from OG Mirrodin.

Slobad killed of randomly, geth becomes a phyrexian stooge, Bruenna and a bunch of others get warped away (which was a stupid storyline as well)

You'd think we would have gotten hints of the people being kidnapped to their native planes by now.
I'd be so hyped if there's randomly an old lady Bruenna pirate or navigator on Ixalan.

Glissa's fate was even worse.

Justin

I don't know. I've only played like once and was thinking about getting a better understanding of the game.

I would recommend going to a pre-release event this weekend because it does not require that you already own any cards and there will be a lot of new and casual players playing. Also don't be afraid to ask your opponent questions and just let them know you are new at the start of the match and they should be helpful.

Here is the information on pre-release
https://magic.wizards.com/en/event-types/prerelease

After that I would recommend looking for a store near you that runs drafts because again it does not require that you own a deck.

Angry Grimace

Digging what they're doing with Vrsaska and Jace.

Still think this could be Dominaria.

I mean, MaRo specifically said it's a plane and continent named "Ixalan." I don't think he'd come that close to lying. The closest he came to that was claiming Elspeth was really dead, even though WOTC makes absolutely no bones about Elspeth being Theros-dead and not dead-dead.

OnPoint

I mean, MaRo specifically said it's a plane and continent named "Ixalan." I don't think he'd come that close to lying. The closest he came to that was claiming Elspeth was really dead, even though WOTC makes absolutely no bones about Elspeth being Theros-dead and not dead-dead.

I guess I'm just holding out hope for some kind of language play. "It WAS Ixalan from the characters point of view, and we all discovered at the same time it's not!" or some dumb crap like that.

I realize that it's probably foolish. But a boy can dream.

Angry Grimace

Liliana's going to be confused when Jace shows up with a beard, muscles, a happy/boisterous personality, and a monster girlfriend.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to execute on it and will give Jace his lame personality back and never do anything with all this weird Gorgon/Human shipping.

OnPoint

Liliana's going to be confused when Jace shows up with a beard, muscles, a happy/boisterous personality, and a monster girlfriend.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to execute on it and will give Jace his lame personality back and never do anything with all this weird Gorgon/Human shipping.

Bet she makes him hard as stone, eh? Eh??

bojack-horseman-do-you-get-my-joke.png

What I don't get is why Karn made his probes so powerful. Why even do that?

He's just too strong for his own good, so he has massive unintended consequences for everything he does. He was trying to paint a house and accidentally created a plague that's going to destroy several planes and give rise to a plague-themed supervillain before he realizes he mixed the paint wrong.

y2dvd

Are Channelers Initiate and Servant of Conduit the only two 2cmc mana dorks that could produce mana for any colors in standard atm?

I would recommend going to a pre-release event this weekend because it does not require that you already own any cards and there will be a lot of new and casual players playing. Also don't be afraid to ask your opponent questions and just let them know you are new at the start of the match and they should be helpful.

Here is the information on pre-release
https://magic.wizards.com/en/event-types/prerelease

After that I would recommend looking for a store near you that runs drafts because again it does not require that you own a deck.

How much do these events cost?

Justin

How much do these events cost?

The pre-release varies from store to store. Most of the ones in my area are 20, 25 or 30. For FNM I think the standard is $5 to enter the tournament but if you are new try to find one that offers free entry. One store by me has no FNM entry free for their standard tournaments. They obviously have no prize support aside from the WOTC promos but they are super laid back and people mostly play janky homebrews. Drafts in my area run from 12 to 15 bucks.

25-30 usually, but this also changes based on prize support. Most of my local LGSs also charge 25 for early sign ups, and 30 day before or day of.

The pre-release varies from store to store. Most of the ones in my area are 20, 25 or 30. For FNM I think the standard is $5 to enter the tournament but if you are new try to find one that offers free entry. One store by me has no FNM entry free for their standard tournaments. They obviously have no prize support aside from the WOTC promos but they are super laid back and people mostly play janky homebrews. Drafts in my area run from 12 to 15 bucks.

So for the pre-release you're basically getting a starter deck out of that, and the drafts you'd get what, a packs worth?

Also, what are the prizes exactly, like rare cards? Are the prizes for winning a tournament or is it just a lottery thing?

Justin

So for the pre-release you're basically getting a starter deck out of that, and the drafts you'd get what, a packs worth?

Also, what are the prizes exactly, like rare cards? Are the prizes for winning a tournament or is it just a lottery thing?

For the pre-release you are getting 6 boosters worth of cards

When you draft you end up with three boosters worth of cards.

Prize support varies from store to store but usually it is some number of booster packs or store credit depending on your record at the end of the tournament.

I recommend drafts for new people because it is a good way to learn the game and build up a collection of cards.

Ixaland is everything I wanted from the flavour of a set in a long time except for the lack of guns.
I specifically mentioned colonization and exploration as a theme I'd like to see I thought barred because guns are a non option a couple threats ago but here we are.

The people of Ixalan are smart enough to put blackpowder into long massive metal tubes but they apparently can't divide to narrow the process down.

Justin

Ixaland is everything I wanted from the flavour of a set in a long time except for the lack of guns.
I specifically mentioned colonization and exploration as a theme I'd like to see I thought barred because guns are a non option a couple threats ago but here we are.

The people of Ixalan are smart enough to put blackpowder into long massive metal tubes but they apparently can't divide to narrow the process down.

I mean... thats a gun right... Sure it shoots a harpoon but really...

en_5BlOFj41dP.png

Korgill

For the pre-release you are getting 6 boosters worth of cards

When you draft you end up with three boosters worth of cards.

Prize support varies from store to store but usually it is some number of booster packs or store credit depending on your record at the end of the tournament.

I recommend drafts for new people because it is a good way to learn the game and build up a collection of cards.

I like my LGS for prereleases because your entry includes 2.5 packs for prize support, but you automatically get 2 of the packs. So in effect, $25 gets you 8 packs plus the stamped rare with the extra half pack for prizes. 1 st is usually around 10 packs with the top third getting at least an extra 2 packs. Great for someone middling good like myself.

Top Bottom